+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Mitigation 3.0 Build

Thumbs up Mitigation 3.0 Build

Hi again ... another patch ... another update to the mitigation build. This patch gave the mitigation build more tools, more mitigation, is a lot easier to manage now and even managed to help out on the energy starvation ... so we love this patch. I've added some new macros to leverage the debuffs we have and have adjusted the rotation use accordingly. As always ... this is a work in progress so feel free to comment/question/poke/prod.

NOTE: This is updated for the 1.5 patch. No changes have been made to the build itself. No notable changes to performance.

EDIT: Added Alternative build for easier Pact management (by request).

Easier Management Version: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0c...qzhz0z.e0Ru00m

Higher Agro Version: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1c...qzhz0z.v0Rh00m

Usage: The mitigation build essentially strives to be the only tank build one needs to use in Rift (if you are looking for an all-in-one build this is it). While other builds will make certain encounters a bit easier, this build can tackle all encounters, from the first T1 Expoert dungeon through to the current T3 raid dungeons and bosses. The premise of the build is to be the highest *consistant* mitigation build as possible while producing outstanding threat in both single target and AOE situations.

Main Spam Macro:

#show Plague Bringer
    cast Aggressive Block
    cast Retaliation
    cast Plague Bringer
    cast Soul Sickness
    cast Ragestorm
    cast Blood Fever
    cast Necrotic Wounds (this is at the end for pulling at range)

Single Target (Boss) Macro #1:

#show Ravaging Strike
    cast Aggressive Block
    cast Retaliation
    cast Ravaging Strike

Single Target (Boss) Macro #2:

#show Pacifying Strike
    cast Aggressive Block
    cast Retaliation
    cast Pacifying Strike

NOTE: The Main Spam Macro and Single Target (Boss) macros #1 and #2 are all meant to be used in rotation with eachother when doing single target boss mobs. This is to leverage the debuffs of Blood Fever (-5% hit), Ravaging Strike (armor debuff) and Pacifying Strike (AP/SP debuff). For easier bosses, you can easily go the lazy route and just use the main spam macro.

NOTE #2: Necrotic Wounds gets its own hotkey to be worked into the rotation at melee range (if needed).

Other Hotkeys of Note (and where I bind them ... bind to taste of course):

Main Spam Macro (#1 key)
    Single Target Boss 1 (#2 key)
    Single Target Boss 2 (#3 key)
    Devouring Blow (#4 key)
    Necrotic Wounds (#5 key)
    Rift Summon (Mouse 5)
    Tempest (#6 key)
    Discharge (#7 key)
    Spell Sunder (#8 key)
    Spellbreaker (#9 key)
    Furious Rage (- (hyphen) key ... also bound to Mouse 6)
    Shield Throw (= (equals) key ... also bound to Mouse 7)
    Judgment (Mouse 3)
    Shield Charge (Mouse 4)
    Touch of Life (anywhere handy ... it's on my second hotbar but that's probably not the best place for it)
    Pact Conversion (moved to second hotbar of shame where it is now orphaned and lonely)

NOTE: I have Catalyze, Soul Pillage and some other powers on my second hotbar where I am used to getting at them but these are so situational that I do not list them specfically.

NOTE #2: I have an old Logitech G5 mouse that has 4 buttons in addition to the normal 3-button mouse setup. In the key binds above Mouse 1 and 2 are the left and right mouse buttons (which I do not bind specifically although many others do) and Mouse 3 is the wheel-button.

Usage and Rotations:

Trash: Whether AOE or single target, you can pull with the main spam macro (at range Necrotic Wounds fires instead of Blood Fever) and continue to use the main spam macro on closing. Hit Pact Conversion on the first three rotations (or until 10 Pacts have been achieved) and then use Devouring Blow as your finisher (with 1/3 Quality Care, normal group heals should be sufficient to keep your Pacts refreshed within the 45 second window (and/or the fight should be done)).

Alternatively, if you *need* to single pull and don't want to risk Plague Bringer agroing a nearby pack of mobs, you can use Necrotic Wounds by itself to pull (save your Shield Throw for when a taunt is truly needed).

Bosses: Use the Main Spam Macro to establish agro and Pact Conversion to build up to 10 Pacts. Then cycle between the Main Spam Macro and Single Target Macros #1 and #2 while using Devouring Blow as your finisher (again 1/3 Quality Care and group heals should be sufficient to maintain your Pacts through the encounter).

NOTE: Use Pact Conversion to quickly regain Pacts if you should need to use Tempest or Discharge. I use both of these skills as backup agro enhancers and/or ghetto taunts for when my taunts are on cool down. With the fix to AOE taunts truly sharing a 1 minute cool down, Tempest will be used fairly often (Discharge less so)).

COMMENTS: As of this writing 1/5 Power From the Masses is sufficient to maintain PFtM (this may change in the future). I got away (finally) from using Insatiable Hunger and Blood From a Stone as the management of Pacts has become very easy (and these talents did little before since the main spam macro has no "melee" attacks). I left 1 point in Quality Care just so I never (ever) have to look at my Pacts once I've built to 10 in a normal group dungeon/raid makeup.

Over the 1.1 Patch version, this build now has 5/5 Devourer (although I scraped one point from Unyielding Defense to do it) and Spellbreaker makes it back into the build for cleansing goodness. With the ease of management of this build now, Martial Shield is no longer needed so Defender gets a bit of a bump as well. Overall this build is stronger then the Mitigation 2.0 build and should see less energy issues since you shouldn't need to eat Pact Conversion so often.

(Special thanks to Dawg of Goergia and others who had gotten me taking a second look at Insatiable Hunger and Blood From a Stone that were no longer needed)

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Kruunch; 09-30-2011 at 06:43 AM.

Rift Disciple

Awesome m8!

I'm a loyal follower ... your builds always work great for me ... and well ... i'm happy you put in all the time trying these builds so i don't have to ;). I just want to put the bit of gaming time i have in actually running dungeons!

Much appreciated.
    Last edited by MarlonB; 05-11-2011 at 05:13 AM.

Prophet of Telara

I tried 1 point in PFTM in Gilded Sanctum yesterday.

Even with every attack, 20% seemed way to low to keep 10% mitigation up all the time.
    Horrible Main Tank of --- <Zombie Goasts> - Shatterbone (US Guardian)
    Crappy Youtube Page: http://www.youtube.com/exphryl

Quote Originally Posted by Exphryl View Post

Even with every attack, 20% seemed way to low to keep 10% mitigation up all the time.
    Hmmmm I think you need to recheck that.

For me, 1/5 PFtM had 100% (literally) uptime last night in River of Souls and on a 5 minute parse on the dummies before hand (with just a companion pet up to feed it no less).

1/5 PFtM *appears* to be working 100% of the time on every attack (possible bug and if it is and gets fixed I'll reevaluate).

Quote Originally Posted by Exphryl View Post

Sorry if it's a noobish suggestion, but perhaps you were missing too much?
    retired

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Milen View Post
    Sorry if it's a noobish suggestion, but perhaps you were missing too much?
    250 hit =/

Maybe just bad RNG.
    Horrible Main Tank of --- <Zombie Goasts> - Shatterbone (US Guardian)
    Crappy Youtube Page: http://www.youtube.com/exphryl

Shield of Telara

I ran a similar build through eFC (my first time tanking it) last night and it worked great. Having the healer toss a Healing Spray or something on me as we moved was usually enough to keep Pacts/RS/RD going for the entire dungeon (if not, PC to keep them up). PftM was easy to keep up during fights with 1/5, at least for me.

The build I used was: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0c...Ru00m.xuqzhz0z

I can see the reasoning behind dropping Insatiable Hunger/BfaS, but I like the safety net for my RS/RD that those abilities provide

I may try this build tonight and see how it goes, though

Side note: Tempest is awesome
    Last edited by Yraen; 05-11-2011 at 05:41 AM.
    Yraen.com - Discussions Related to RIFT Warriors! Stop in and have a drink!
    How To: Preparing to Tank Tier 1 Dungeons
    Warrior PvE DPS Builds (1.1)
    Melee DPS Trinkets

Quote Originally Posted by Yraen View Post
    I ran a similar build through eFC (my first time tanking it) last night and it worked great. Having the healer toss a Healing Spray or something on me as we moved was usually enough to keep Pacts/RS/RD going for the entire dungeon (if not, PC to keep them up). PftM was easy to keep up during fights with 1/5, at least for me.

The build I used was: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0c...Ru00m.xuqzhz0z

I can see the reasoning behind dropping Insatiable Hunger/BfaS, but I like the safety net for my RS/RD that those abilities provide

I may try this build tonight and see how it goes, though

Side note: Tempest is awesome
    I hear yas about IS/BFaS and I'm still feeling out that change ... and it's not like what you're replacing it with is doing a ton of stuff for you either (a bit of added agro every 30 seconds realistically and a slight nod to energy on the same time frame).

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    I hear yas about IS/BFaS and I'm still feeling out that change ... and it's not like what you're replacing it with is doing a ton of stuff for you either (a bit of added agro every 30 seconds realistically and a slight nod to energy on the same time frame).
    Yeah, the extra damage/threat is handy, and the extra time frame. Just have to make sure they're not outweighed by having to use more PCs to keep things up reliably.

I will say that this build is MUCH more enjoyable to play now. The micromanagement aspect has been tuned down immensely.
    Melee DPS Trinkets

Yeah, the extra damage/threat is handy, and the extra time frame. Just have to make sure they're not outweighed by having to use more PCs to keep things up reliably.

I will say that this build is MUCH more enjoyable to play now. The micromanagement aspect has been tuned down immensely.
    I hate to say this ... but this build is almost boring to play now

Rift Disciple

Thanks Kruunch for the update. This is also the build I am using now. Having had so much success with the 2.0 build, this latest patch makes 3.0 VK goodness, not having to worry about the RD/RS timer. It is so much more enjoyable now not having to PC every 6 seconds and constantly staring at the countdown timer. You can concentrate more on whats happening on the screen around you rather than being glued to your portrait all the time.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    I hate to say this ... but this build is almost boring to play now
    Well compared to my WL/Pal/Reaver it's not!

They probably could have left PftM as it was and just changed RS/RD, but not going to complain
    Melee DPS Trinkets

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg of Georgia View Post
    Thanks Kruunch for the update. This is also the build I am using now. Having had so much success with the 2.0 build, this latest patch makes 3.0 VK goodness, not having to worry about the RD/RS timer. It is so much more enjoyable now not having to PC every 6 seconds and constantly staring at the countdown timer. You can concentrate more on whats happening on the screen around you rather than being glued to your portrait all the time.
    I have to say it's a joy to be able to use my finishers now.

Although I will admit to hitting Pact Conversion accidentally a bunch of times last night.

Think methadone will help?

Well compared to my WL/Pal/Reaver it's not!

They probably could have left PftM as it was and just changed RS/RD, but not going to complain
    Seriously ... all they needed to do for PFtM was make the standard 3 target cleaves work with it (i.e. Sweeping Strike, Vicious Cleave, etc ...).

Shield of Telara

Almost wish we could get the cooldown reductions on Rift Summon

I miss my Sergeant's Order greatly...
    Melee DPS Trinkets

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast