+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: NightBorn PvE Guide - 54NB/SB Hybrid (ST Melee/Ranged, AOE Cleave Spec)

Default [4.1] NightBorn PvE Guide - 54NB/SB Hybrid (ST Melee/Ranged, AOE Cleave Spec)

Welcome to the new 4.1 Nightborn !

For those who has been patiently waiting for a Nightblade come back.
    You might enjoy playing the new Nightblade/Shadeborn hybrid - Nightborn.

4.1 Nightborn is a very straightforward build which does great ST and passive cleave damage.

Let me elaborate:

Bladedancer can only do one or the other (either ST or AOE, not simultaneously), it does great ST DPS, but in order to deal AOE damage, you will have to sacriface your ST DPS to cleave merely 4 targets. Even ST builders + AOE finisher do insignificant amount of DPS. In other words, Bladedancer is designed for fights that consist of boss fight and adds spawn (using dances to clear adds or DPS padding rather). On the other hand, Nightborn is a passive cleave spec (3-target), you cleave about 50% damage of your primary target to 2 other targets. (In a sense, Nightborn is similar to the 4.0 Pyro-elementalist, but not as broken).

tl;dr, Nightborn is a fun, unique passive cleave spec, it DOES NOT suffer from ST DPS loss while cleaving/disconnecting unlike Bladedancer.

Soulpoints:
    Spoiler!

Macros: (Feel free to modify them)

Spam macro:
    Spoiler!

Scourge of Darkness/Ranged ST finisher:
    Spoiler!

Consuming Depths:
    Spoiler!

Burst macro: (cast Dessication is a PA abiltity that occasionally gives 1K AP, Use Reliquary of Rage is the crit item)
    Spoiler!

@focus interrupt macro:
    Spoiler!

Keybinds that require no macroing are:
    Conceal, (Dark Malady),
    Void Touch, Strangulate, Mirrored Strike.

Hour-long self-buff: Inescapable Bond, Smoldering Blades, Ebon Blades.

My KAlert set:
    Spoiler!

Actual opener (for both ST or Cleave):

Stand within 20m, Conceal -> Dark Malady -> Scourge of Darkness (walk into melee range) -> Void touch -> Mirrored Strike -> Nexus of Darkness + Flame Blitz -> Consuming Depths if proc -> Strangulate -> Spam Macro ....

Keep up the following abilities (Track them by KAlert):

- Buffs: Mirrored Strike (Refresh before buff falls off)
    - Debuffs or DoTs: Void touch, Strangulate, Consuming Depths (Try not to clip them)
    - Every 30s, use cooldown Nexus of Darkness for 5 combo points Scourge of Darkness:
    - Refresh Strangulate as soon as it falls off, when it is about to fall off, it is good sign that Legendary Hellfire Blades will be up soon, since Strangulate does not proc Hellfire Blades, it is a DPS loss to use it during activation.
    - Void touch has the highest priority, so for target-swapping, always apply this first. And make sure it is ON your target before consuming combo points or using Consuming Depths.
    - Takes a little while to min-max the flow, 1-2 GCD then finisher.

Tertiary Stats:
    - Try to stack as much AP as you can, you can stack CP if you like but it's not as good.

Single-Target Rotations demonstration:

Nightborn Single-Target Parse:

Nightborn Cleave Parse:

Comparing to Sinsab Parses:

Spoiler!

Enjoy

For 3.7 Nightborn (Level 65 stuffs):
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by huangchingho; 07-06-2017 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Updated for 4.1

Rift Disciple

So been theoryin around with this spec decided to drop flame blitz to grab twilight force (sub 30%) it's better then shadow lash dps wise. Also dropped one point from fiery spike auto application (can't remember the name of the talent), to grab ebon fury as well. It will lose some usable cleave but brings up it's ST damage a bit also a low the ability to change the 0 point soul to something other then marksman if you want to. The 66% chance on 5 point finishers with this spec is enough to keep fiery spike active 100% (using one of the old NB/Sin specs as an example) along with if you need straight up AE on a fight it would be better to use a different spec then this one and instead maximise the ST that this could do.
    Last edited by Anmoa; 07-17-2016 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anmoa View Post
    So been theoryin around with this spec decided to drop flame blitz to grab twilight force (sub 30%) it's better then shadow lash dps wise. Also dropped one point from fiery spike auto application (can't remember the name of the talent), to grab ebon fury as well. It will lose some usable cleave but brings up it's ST damage a bit also a low the ability to change the 0 point soul to something other then marksman if you want to. The 66% chance on 5 point finishers with this spec is enough to keep fiery spike active 100% (using one of the old NB/Sin specs as an example) along with if you need straight up AE on a fight it would be better to use a different spec then this one and instead maximise the ST that this could do.
    I've done a lot of parses regarding these issues, I opt for those points because twilight force does not affect elite mobs or bosses(hence "State of Sloth" 10% increase damage won't apply), do you also see the energy difference there? Twilight force costs 26 energy and Shadow Lash only costs 20 (the more energy you save, the more dusk strikes are going to be cast). it's decent in PVP though. however this spec has a lot of procs for Consuming Depths and you would be casting void touch, strangulate quite often, unlike Dark descent(10energy) from 61NB tree, Nexus of Darkness does not require energy to cast, thus energy won't be an issue. However, shadow lash benefit from the 10% damage boost from mirrored strike and another 10% from Void touch, despite Primal Strike(22energy) having 15% more crit chance. Shadow Lash(20energy) still does slightly higher DPS because of high base damage. The reason you need Flame Blitz is because it's currently the only AOE finisher in this build and it's one of the highest (or second highest) damage source of your AOE rotation, same for fiery spike.
    You can see the damage difference:and

, after Void touch and Mirrored Strike

Let me know if that helps!
    Last edited by huangchingho; 07-17-2016 at 07:43 PM.

Rift Disciple

I don't use primal strike as main spam in between dusk strikes. The reason the grab twilight force (not stay of sloth) is because below 30% it gets a major dps boost and it's better then shadow lash even though it costs more. And like I said about flame blitz if you need more AE dps or constant AE there are other specs that do better in that regard. With ebon fury you are able to force more dusk strikes for higher ST damage. The things I suggested brings this specs ST damage up considerable over a fights progression. Earlier in my raid in CoA I used it and was able to do dps almost up to Assborn dps with some mistakes.
    Last edited by Anmoa; 07-17-2016 at 07:46 PM.

I don't use primal strike as main spam in between dusk strikes. The reason the grab twilight force (not stay of sloth) is because below 30% it gets a major dps boost and it's better then shadow lash even though it costs more. And like I said about flame blitz if you need more AE dps or constant AE there are other specs that do better in that regard. With ebon fury you are able to force more dusk strikes for higher ST damage. The things I suggested brings this specs ST damage up considerable over a fights progression. Earlier in my raid in CoA I used it and was able to do dps almost up to Assborn dps with some mistakes.
    Well, yes it does get 30% damage increase when hitting targets below 30%hp and this might be useful in progression raids, but I haven't really got into further testing about the numbers (how many swings will the ability be hitting) or DPS you get from using twilight force in low hp phase.(I think the major damage source for low hp phase is the finishers as i have been critting over 282k damage with blazing strike as you get 35% increase damage from Nexus of Darkness, 20% increase damage from Dusk of dawn, 30% from Heat retention tree, 6% from NightStalke passive, another 30% when target is lower than 30% hp and it can hit hard if Crit with 40% Crit Power along with raid damage buffs=261% self damage boost). However, you should still use Dusk strike and Shadow Lash for builders when the target is above 30%HP.
    This build is already susceptible to RNG with Consuming Depths procs and strangulate for Blackout stacks reset for 5 CP, if you encounter a moment when you use a finisher with less than 5CP or 66% chance doesn't make it your lucky day or during disconnects phase when it is about to fall off. You might need to waste another GCD to cast fiery spike and stack it up to 5 times again. And that could be a DPS loss. Keep in mind that Flame blitz is also a major ability where you can spread Fiery Spike to all the targets hit. (Similar to Mage's Harbinger playstyle, Lucent Slash will spread Blazing light to 5 targets hit)
    Therefore, I wanted to keep this spec that is capable of doing good ST dps with CP resets and consuming depths and also have the capability to cleave. If you wish to keep Twilight Force, i suppose you can replace it with the point "Dark Malady" as it only last for 8s at the start of the fight.
    Last edited by huangchingho; 07-17-2016 at 08:50 PM.

Rift Disciple

You are not understanding what I'm saying... so you do your thing I'll do mine.

You are not understanding what I'm saying... so you do your thing I'll do mine.
    I do understand what you're trying to say, I just think that it's better to focus on getting 5CP as fast as you can for blazing strike, as it does more damage during low hp phase, and most of the time, you will still be focusing on using 2 CP builders like Deaths from the shadow and Dust to Dawn, or getting 5 CP by using Nexus of Darkness and consuming Strangulate's Blackout stacks. If you force yourself to use 1CP builders such as Dusk Strike and Twilight Force, you might end up using numerous time less finishers and it will be a DPS loss. That is why I am not a fan of using 1 CP builders, because finishers are so much better, especially for NightBlade so that is a 261%damage boost for finishers if you have 40% Crit Power when crit.
    Last edited by huangchingho; 07-17-2016 at 08:50 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by huangchingho View Post
    I do understand what you're trying to say, I just think that it's better to focus on getting 5CP as fast as you can for blazing strike, as it does more damage during low hp phase, and most of the time, you will still be focusing on using 2 CP builders like Deaths from the shadow and Dust to Dawn, or getting 5 CP by using Nexus of Darkness and consuming Strangulate's Blackout stacks. If you force yourself to use 1CP builders such as Dusk Strike and Twilight Force, you might end up using numerous time less finishers and it will be a DPS loss. That is why I am not a fan of using 1 CP builders, because finishers are so much better, especially for NightBlade so that is a 261%damage boost for finishers if you have 40% Crit Power when crit.
    1) You obviously have not played Nightblade for very long or even NB/sin
    2) Forcing 5 Emptiness stacked Duskstrikes via Ebon Fury is a DPS gain because of its own passive dps gains... If you dont have 5 stacks when you pop Ebon fury you still use other 2 CP abilities YOU dont have to only use dusk strikes during ebon Fury if its not going to increase the overall dps... Hence you pay attention to your ability timers and use it when you A) have 5 stacks of Emptiness and B) its going to allow you to use as many as you can without having to use other abilities
    3) Having the 66% chance on Finishers to apply Fiery spike is more then enough long ago this was the same in NB/sin hybrid and guess what IT didnt need the 100% chance, and after testing it even if you did have to reapply fiery spike manually its still an over all dps gain (compared to the points you have in the spec) as you have abilities to Force Finishers and Living Flame. Its honestly really rare in the parses ive done on Dummies and Boss to see Fiery spike get close to falling off
    4) Using Shadow Lash and Dusk strike+Emptiness stacks Prior to sub 30% is the way to go for energy management But as SOON as you hit that Sub 30% Twilight Force is a DPS increase over Shadow Lash even if it does cost more then Shadow lash. You are not Focusing on using 2CP builders you use them OFF CD as long as you can avoid Wasting CP's So you are gonna have to use 1CP builders... Might as well use the Stronger ones when they are the Strongest right?
    Last edited by Anmoa; 07-17-2016 at 10:14 PM.

1) You obviously have not played Nightblade for very long or even NB/sin
    2) Forcing 5 Emptiness stacked Duskstrikes via Ebon Fury is a DPS gain because of its own passive dps gains... If you dont have 5 stacks when you pop Ebon fury you still use other 2 CP abilities YOU dont have to only use dusk strikes during ebon Fury if its not going to increase the overall dps... Hence you pay attention to your ability timers and use it when you A) have 5 stacks of Emptiness and B) its going to allow you to use as many as you can without having to use other abilities
    3) Having the 66% chance on Finishers to apply Fiery spike is more then enough long ago this was the same in NB/sin hybrid and guess what IT didnt need the 100% chance, and after testing it even if you did have to reapply fiery spike manually its still an over all dps gain (compared to the points you have in the spec) as you have abilities to Force Finishers and Living Flame. Its honestly really rare in the parses ive done on Dummies and Boss to see Fiery spike get close to falling off
    4) Using Shadow Lash and Dusk strike+Emptiness stacks Prior to sub 30% is the way to go for energy management But as SOON as you hit that Sub 30% Twilight Force is a DPS increase over Shadow Lash even if it does cost more then Shadow lash. You are not Focusing on using 2CP builders you use them OFF CD as long as you can avoid Wasting CP's So you are gonna have to use 1CP builders... Might as well use the Stronger ones when they are the Strongest right?
    I appreciate your comment, and I'll add them in the guide

Rift Chaser

The two points in Eventide do (almost) nothing. Use them to either get Twilight Force, Ebon Fury, or put a point in Riftstalker for AP/WD bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Harumph View Post
    The two points in Eventide do (almost) nothing. Use them to either get Twilight Force, Ebon Fury, or put a point in Riftstalker for AP/WD bonus.
    Have you done enough testing? so it looks something like this? http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#t...8/!akgE10|X_P0

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Harumph View Post
    You would have to weigh 2% ap/wep dmg vs 10%dmg for twilight force/dusk strike the 10% will probably net more dps in this build do to the amount of dusk strike this spec pumps out. Along with all the other death dmg modifiers that it has at most something like this would possibly work. http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#t...g/!akgE10|X_P0

You would have to weigh 2% ap/wep dmg vs 10%dmg for twilight force/dusk strike the 10% will probably net more dps in this build do to the amount of dusk strike this spec pumps out. Along with all the other death dmg modifiers that it has at most something like this would possibly work. http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#t...g/!akgE10|X_P0
    Thanks, I am gonna do some parsing now

RIFT Guide Writer

The reason to take twilight force is for disconnects. NB's strength is the disconnects but without twilight force you gimp it. For pure melee fights you'd use a higher dps spec with worse disconnect handling.

You should take Eyes of the Abyss in shadeborn rather than Born of Darkness. 3% buff that affects 30% of your damage on an active stack vs 1% passive that affects about 60% is a very easy choice.

Scorch and Wither is far better than some of the talents you've left out. In the ranking starting from worst for dps it's
    1. Eventide
    2. Primal Death
    3. Coup de Grace
    4. Blazing Fury
    Primal Death and Coup de Grace may be the other way around with good energy management, I just estimated based on the breakdown in the link.

So for full functionality I'd go with this version: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#t...8/!amAaw8|X_P0

I guess it's worth it to take twilight force, as for the sub 30 damage boost and higher disconnect (ranged) dps. I tried tracking Emptiness and use Ebon fury once i reached 5 stacks, but I still encounter situations when I use a lot other abilities (either finishers, strangulate or void touch) within the duration of Ebon fury(10s,1min CD) and I will naturally lose the emptiness stacks. And ebon fury will be on cooldown when I need it very badly. Also, not taking Lingering Flame is definitely a DPS loss, as you are guaranteed to have to re-apply Fiery Spike frequently.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast