+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Assborn the assassin/shadeborn hybrid guide

RIFT Guide Writer

Default Assborn the assassin/shadeborn hybrid guide

Spec: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#!...glak528/t|XtP0

There are adjustments to the spec you can make if you find the rotation better suits you with a different point layout. The points you can move around are in the SB soul in the following talents:
    Cloying Void, Asphyxiate, Born of Darkness, Conflux, Dark Bonds
    None of those talents really contributes all that much, the points I have chosen are the ones I find most suitable for me. Physical Trauma in assassin does not affect Consuming Depths or Strangulate which is why I took Poison Potency instead.

Selfbuffs: Virulent Poison, Lethal Poison, Inescapable Bond
    Gear: Max out crit power first, then stack AP. If you are tier 3 geared then crit items are good too.

Playstyle and difficulty
    Playstyle is a mix of SB and Sin with almost all main abilities being present which makes for a rotation packed with a lot of abilities. Assborn is all about priority rotation and it's a complex one. The complexity is also what makes it fun for minmaxing oriented players. There are times when it is very unclear which option is the best or least bad and ultimately it comes down to practice and knowing the interactions between the abilities to quickly find the solution. You can get decent numbers out of the spec fairly easily but maximizing its potential is difficult.

Builders
    These are your builders in roughly the priority order. Rng will cause some priorities to change sometimes.

Jagged Strike / Thread of Death / Slip Away. Use on cooldown.
    Strangulate. Use twice per minute (or more often if you left out the points in Asphyxiate), best time is before cooldown block so you don't waste a precious gcd during poison malice to do no damage and you don't want to redo Strangulate during Debilitating Dart. Strangulate ticks give you Blackout stacks which refund combo points when using a finisher.
    Void Touch. Redo after it expires. Try to time it so you don't have to redo it during Debilitating Dart. I train 4/5 in Cloying Void to make this a 14 second duration, which allows using it quite regularly 4 times per minute without drifting but still maintaining uptime. 5/5 in Cloying Void would mean it drifting forward into less ideal times.
    Backstab
    Puncture
    Shadow Lash
    Planar Strike. Only used for disconnects.

Finishers
    Shadow Flurry is your main finisher. Shadow Flurry hits once per combo point used and each hit has its separate proc activation for things like poisons. Do not be afraid to use Shadow Flurry occasionally with less than 5 combo points. For example if you need to use Jagged Strike and your previous finisher refunds you 3 combo points from Blackout stacks then it's good to do a 3 cp finisher first followed by Jagged Strike.
    Direct damage and poison procs are not the only source of value on your finishers however. Maximizing the amount of Consuming Depths procs is extremely important. Let's say you use a Shadow Flurry and get a CD proc which you use. The finisher and CD have now used up 2 seconds of the internal cooldown of 5 seconds between procs. If you build up to next finisher with 2 abilities then you miss out on a potential proc. Using a lower than 5 combo point finisher is a good tool for letting you start a cooldown block with 5 combo points.

Mirrored Strike is the other finisher you will use but it is used only about once per minute to keep up the buff from it and even then it's used ideally with 1-2 combo points after a Shadow Flurry which did not proc Consuming Depths. Refresh Mirrored Strike when you don't have the finisher damage buff up from Nexus of Darkness.

Consuming Depths
    Consuming Depths deserves its own section since it's such an important ability in the spec. First of all CD is not a dot, it's a direct damage ability with multiple hits and 0% chance to proc stuff like poisons and weapon procs. Each hit has its own damage calculation based on whatever buffs and debuffs are present at that time. Strangulate works the same way. This means you can use CD before raid cooldowns and the ticks that happen during raid cooldowns still get buffed by them, and if you squeeze in a CD on the last second of a buff that will only affect the first damage tick unlike a normal dot which would get the bonus to all ticks.

There is usually no hurry to use a CD proc right away, you have the whole buildup to 5 combo points to choose the optimal time. The best time is when you don't have to do any time sensitive abilities like Strangulate or Void Touch but instead your only other option would be to use a Shadow Lash. However be careful when delaying that you don't clip your old one if you get two procs in a row. Delaying Consuming Depths can also sometimes let you wait it long time that your Debilitating Dart debuff runs out, this way you don't use a gcd without proccing Debilitating Dart.

Other Abilities
    Debilitating Dart. Use on cooldown with Cloak & Dagger buff active.
    Expose Weakness. Keep up Expose Weakness at all times. It last 60 seconds so no need to macro it, just refresh it manually.
    Nexus of Darkness. Best used during cooldown block to get an extra Shadow Flurry in for 5 more hits of buffed poisons. 2 points in Conflux seems enough to give its timing enough flexibility to still use it efficiently twice per minute.
    Poison Malice. Main source of burst damage. Use together with raid cooldowns.
    Bond of Night. Do NOT use bond on your target, only use it on a secondary target for some free cleave.

Cooldown Block
    Ideal cooldown block consists of a combination of all your cooldowns and starts with 5 combo points while having a Consuming Depths proc up and Strangulate refreshed so it doesn't need redoing. You can try to force the CD proc by doing a double finisher leading into the cooldown block for two chances to proc it.
    So your cooldown block could look something like this:
    1. Consuming Depths
    2. Poison Malice, Shadow Flurry
    3. Jagged Strike, Debilitating Dart
    4. Shadow Flurry (assuming 2 Blackout procs on previous finisher)
    5. Consuming Depths
    6. Nexus of Darkness, Shadow Flurry
    7. builder
    8. builder
    9. builder
    10. builder
    11. Shadow Flurry
    12. Slip Away, Jagged Strike
    13. Shadow Flurry

Opening Rotation
    Void Touch can be applied before pull and then stealth. Strangulate can too but you only have 3 second time window there so it's kind of risky. Opening with this spec is tricky because no matter what you do you can't build up very quickly without wasting stuff. I would go with something like this:
    Void Touch prepull
    1. Jagged Strike
    2. Shadow Flurry
    3. Strangulate
    4. Mirrored Strike, ToD activation
    5. Consuming Depths
    6. Poison Malice, Debilitating Dart, Puncture
    7. Backstab
    8. Jagged Strike
    9. Shadow Flurry
    10. Nexus of Darkness, Shadow Flurry
    11. Consuming Depths

Macros
    Most of the abilities can't be macroed. I use these macros and the rest of the abilities in their own keybinds.

Code:
    #show backstab
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast backstab
    cast shadow lash
    cast planar strike
    cast @self energy manipulation
    Code:
    #show thread of death
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast thread of death
    cast jagged strike
    Code:
    #show slip away
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast slip away
    cast jagged strike
    Analyzing your parse
    There are some key metrics you can look at in a parse to figure out if you are doing something wrong. In a parse of X seconds you should be seeing Consuming Depths used every 9-9.5 seconds in an average parse, about 1.6*X poison ticks (for each poison) and about X shadow flurry hits. Each use of Debilitating Dart should deal damage about 7 times.

So in a 5 minute parse you should see something like this:
    ~170 Consuming Depths hits (average RNG)
    300+ Shadow Flurry hits
    ~475-480 Poison ticks
    ~70 Debilitating Dart hits

Example KaruulAlert set
    Code:
    KA::AFFKCeNq9WNlu4zYU/RX1B1zupMAnUQvQh0yCjNt5CSAwtmILdixDkicTtP33Xi1JvNCOl8a
    QYCcSfXWOeM69vIx/LYsq835kdrbIqsp7zqsqX0w01kO9nNvXrBzUtpxkNVxJ4NpQx5u/0AELlZE
    x5ioJfcQo16gdm8A30vf5U60jW9vfH/7848E+5vO8fk3zUbGoHrI20ksfiA3G40r7lGrCfS1Jc+I
    BRBsofdOh+k2H8bdhfA/x4WwOigBR8na5/U+0T07+uSvyqlh4N3aejzLPjur8Z7ZGq/2zQbkxDti
    YwEShEYyYhld4NJtlG6d+KXoiQmgq1AYRqXcIMNS+1P4y20tgHTn5WuQYI6q5vz4HWN9ndvy6g57
    sf/3hvLAzzy7GXmQnk/59b736nTEBiWKcRFQgGkuFY3Q0h6q28xlIJF1ObZW1PIREmqtNKfHtGUA
    davcMRFn7DFtDYIBY1rsy+nDHsPXHzk+AE/UDzlSIfJFwgsTRnMZrsdJuklKEU9uyUz77XF/okL6
    +16VdTFZzWx8itD4qIMRQQ2jgCxlyo5Ljp2dqgU1RLtLqI17nE4y0wFQz1ZwNaLfJ4bi9+xBa4p6
    kMNo0StIeV5sUnystxAVkzNyOZsWq9ojLL293dSAjrLiUWEpOYxw3XidHwX/sQwDmDjGRmjGiKR2
    I7qORETh7Bzjme73+jpqdjJqdh9rnTtTsFNTf5/nSC17s6x7VvN+H1EoowszHJjIsELF/vO4hRmo
    hRopol1zJGRJh6xIZTkvIxV7x5EWZraeuwrA9JEgiJnGSGF8w309YfDR+W1W2Kb1p3YZMi6d03IR
    MHzs2CMkt97oLRT8Ne1QfwqNWz605s2U9rQ6ko52hAaImZFgqoSj42Phn5KTRW1Ag1wRtuUnQFwf
    cnyTYA+WjXym51fW1yyiMuNiSGcBwlu+9uWgb4f5JuQIXzrnmEozefuABaWeje7A2t8Ph7c0x7NZ
    yFmQUWDQ8uvzzfi+QPk6UIEkUgfmlOL5MPPYhuloNMhKCfOp5d57acvMePV3Z86cWOb6vYt9Hrhm
    4bsU+PoEdrH705OpHz6t+AjurHz0F9baq9jdIV1OWr6DvgAz6yYL9wJL2W/ZrVbVIbdn1s26z7Iw
    DUjGFli2gkZ/IhDN5RhlZNFHTcR+y76WUuKzc/1XkY29YrEbTAwl4bVAgBIpiwrgysQTThGcQ+Qn
    h0roJ16UvSF0XLdFv8rIsymzsQTORzxwiG+rtIUGSKIoxxdJQhRN4g6fTeO5jNj0HxPyo6mqzt91
    gg3ZqOuWHFObKXleUl+RbrXqTCk5u1vsC7s7F11ipXJaBN7d6iMvxX7ZXgtll/t5NWbBsgLWDKxN
    fWVfQGm7q6u8O2r/uXaxPqiM+uTris6pjszHiqo74rN7QZYgvagxh8i7edbtbLUb1qjy0ofM+JCA
    qCLihoSHSN0aZM31M+g2pxgn4/9j74CcrhZ+lFIyIckqFnyCV/wDY+/8/
    Last edited by Gery; 05-13-2016 at 04:12 PM.

Plane Walker

Basic question, but any idea on how this compares to the 58 SB/18 BD variant for ST DPS? Is it worth learning over the 58/18, disregarding the learning curve/ability to min-max consistently?

I could otherwise see this useful for the stealth utility.
    Last edited by Wonski; 04-17-2016 at 02:05 PM.
    Wonskee@Deepwood - Dark Malice PvP Guide - Griefer PvP Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by paragonfury View Post
    wtf??? I simply asked for the ultimate one button tempest macro without both torrents, not a fricken story book u nerds.
    \_(ツ)_/

RIFT Guide Writer

58/18 and 61 sb are only good because they double and tripple dip into damage taken debuffs through shadow twin and bond of night. That is already fixed on pts and reduced the dps of those specs a lot. In fact without it they need buffs to even be viable.

Assborn is more like an alternative for assdancer and it's worth learning especially if you don't like assdancer that much or are bored with it.

Plane Walker

Ah, makes sense. Forgot about Debilitating Dart as well, which is good to have for Inwar Darktide. I should really check out the changes on the PTS.

Thanks Gery ^^

Edit: Trying to learn this spec is proving to be difficult l o l QAQ. Lots of buttons/things to manage fffff
    Last edited by Wonski; 04-18-2016 at 03:31 AM.
    wtf??? I simply asked for the ultimate one button tempest macro without both torrents, not a fricken story book u nerds.
    \_(ツ)_/

Quote Originally Posted by Wonski View Post
    Ah, makes sense. Forgot about Debilitating Dart as well, which is good to have for Inwar Darktide. I should really check out the changes on the PTS.

Thanks Gery ^^

Edit: Trying to learn this spec is proving to be difficult l o l QAQ. Lots of buttons/things to manage fffff
    You mean rogues have more than 3 buttons to manage now?

#rerollingwarrior
    Catharsiss@Hailol
    Mustacheridez@Hailol
    Zekkenn@Hailol
    <Ominous>

Soulwalker

Default Slip away

Slip away use in combate remove your bond of nigth mark if there is one, so you need reaply..dunno if this feature is intended

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Notzekken View Post
    You mean rogues have more than 3 buttons to manage now?

#rerollingwarrior
    bis macros plz
    \_(ツ)_/

RIFT Guide Writer

Added a paragraph about the few macros you can use with this spec. And then I added some guidelines what to look for in a parse to check if you're doing it right.

Plane Walker

Best parse was 97k with act off I average about 95-96k atm.

Gear & best act parse so far: http://imgur.com/a/brSMq
    Strikes@Typhiria Impossibruu@Typhiria Huhuhuh@Laeyths Strikez@Deepwood Primes@Deepwood

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Gery View Post
    58/18 and 61 sb are only good because they double and tripple dip into damage taken debuffs through shadow twin and bond of night. That is already fixed on pts and reduced the dps of those specs a lot. In fact without it they need buffs to even be viable.

Assborn is more like an alternative for assdancer and it's worth learning especially if you don't like assdancer that much or are bored with it.
    Hi, I was thinking about getting the Shadeborn soul but reading this, is it worth getting after the fixes go live or should I just stick to properly learning Assdancer instead? (I have Assdancer but still need some more practice)
    Alaysa@Gelidra
    Laysa@Gelidra

www.eternal-dawn.net @Gelidra [EU]

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Reila View Post
    Hi, I was thinking about getting the Shadeborn soul but reading this, is it worth getting after the fixes go live or should I just stick to properly learning Assdancer instead? (I have Assdancer but still need some more practice)
    It's still worth it in my opinion.

RIFT Guide Writer

Here's a few example parses.

Really bad rng: http://i.imgur.com/8mtLWYs.png
    Average rng: http://i.imgur.com/Bhspe8Q.png
    Great rng: http://i.imgur.com/H0DYO0a.png

Note that the more Consuming Depths you get the less finishers and poison procs you get.

I did the parses with this version of the spec while testing stuff out:
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#!...glak528/t|XtP0

I'll probably end up editing the spec in the guide to that one too. Cloying Void might be even worse than the other alternatives for the spec.

Rift Master

Is there really any need to use void touch?.. Does the tick actaully proc a posion?
    Pure Class

Harshmallows

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Reaping View Post
    Is there really any need to use void touch?.. Does the tick actaully proc a posion?
    It does proc poisons when it deals damage and it debuffs shadeborn damage taken by 10%. Void touch definitely needs to be used.

Rift Master

Brain fart!! Forgot about the 10% dmg increase.. In general the spec has grown on me, will be using it tonight in raid on most bosses
    Pure Class

Harshmallows

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast