+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: [3.1][PvE] 61 Marksman Guide

Default [3.1][PvE] 61 Marksman Guide

Firstly I would like to say, this is my first guide, so let me know what I can improve on in the future. Also, all credit to gery and haybale who's forum comments is where I got a lot of this information from. I just thought I would put it all together on one thread.

The spec: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#w...kGGyy/z8L|TvP0

61 Marksman/11 Ranger/4 Nightblade

Masteries:

61: Aggressive Defense
    62: Revitalize
    63: Boundless Energy
    64: Repetitive Strikes
    65: Energy Manipulation

Buffs:

Predatory Instincts (from ranger)
    Ranged Combat Mastery
    Free Recoil
    Static Shock Munitions
    Silver Tip Munitions

Combat Buffs:

Bull's Eye
    Energy Manipulation

Builders:

Empowered Shot
    (maintain) Barbed Shot
    (maintain) Lightning Fury
    Calculated Shot
    Swift Shot
    Sentry Battery
    Strafe

Builders in detail:
    Spoiler!

Finishers:

Deadeye Shot
    Rapid Fire Shot
    Hasted Shot

Finishers in detail:
    Spoiler!

Your finishers apply the buff 'Shoot to kill' on you for 15 seconds. Each combo point consumed by the finisher increases the damage of your builders by 10% each. (This means 50% bonus damage on builders for 15 seconds after a 5 combo point finisher). This means any finisher used with less than 5 combo points is a large dps loss. Your first ability on any fight should also be a 5 combo point finisher.

Finishers also have a 20% chance per combo point to reset the cooldown of empowered shot, and reduce its cast time to zero (thanks to 'Lock N Load' in your soul tree) Which is another reason you should always use 5 combo point finishers.

Rotation:

Opener:

(cast Energy Manipulation Pre-Pull) -> Deadeye Shot -> Barbed Shot -> Lightning Fury -> Calculated Shot -> Cooldown Block

Cooldown Block:

Bull's Eye -> Empowered Shot -> Rapid Fire shot -> Empowered Shot -> Deadeye Shot -> Sentry Battery

Standard Rotation:

Everything between cooldown blocks should be;

1) Rapid Fire Shot > Deadeye Shot (unless bull's eye is coming off cooldown soon, in that case use another deadeye)
    2) Calculated Shot when swift shot or hasted shot are active, otherwise swift shot
    3) Empowered Shot in every buildup
    4) Refreshing barbed shot and lightning fury (especially making sure barbed shot does not run out before you use a channel)

Example builder block:
    Spoiler!

Calculated Shot Maximisation:

In your standard build-up, you don't put calculated shot on cooldown. You never want it on cooldown if it forces you to press an swift shot with swift shot already active. However there are (at least) 2 ways of putting it on cooldown and avoiding that scenario, in order to maximise calculated shot usage in a fight:

1) You are about to go into your cooldown block
    2) You have strafe available [NOTE: Strafe is only used for 3 ticks of damage]

This is because, after putting calculated shot on cooldown, both of these can be used to fill in that time frame until calculated shot comes back off cooldown. (without ever having to use 2 swift shots without a calculated shot between)

Example builder blocks putting calculated on cooldown:
    Spoiler!

Other times to put calculated shot on cooldown are: your opener, and when the fight is about to end

You should aim for a calculated shot to swift shot ratio of at least 1.2:1

Macros:

You should manage as many abilities on their own keys as you can, including the 3 finishers and energy manipulation ideally, however these are the two finisher macros I use.

Spoiler!

Some Tips:

-On target swap, apply 'Lightning Fury' asap

-If you die, recast 'Predatory Instincts'

-Plan in advance, you don't want barbed shot falling off right before you use sentry battery in your cooldown block for example, or right before you use strafe after putting calculated shot on cooldown.

-If there is server lag, or you have personal lag, then only use 4 abilities during bull's eye. Take the first empowered shot out, and use it before bull's eye, so your cooldown block becomes;
    Bull's eye -> Rapid Fire Shot -> Empowered Shot -> Deadeye Shot -> Sentry Battery

-You have an interrupt and purge, so use them

-Personally, I use 'gadgets: buffs' to track the duration of bull's eye, barbed shot, lightning fury, and keep track of if swift shot/hasted shot are active. I prefer this to kalert, however it is personal preference which is why I have not included a kalert set. Find what works best for you.

-This spec is hard, expect to make mistakes when learning it, but keep practicing. Don't give up and put everything into one macro, it isn't worth it
    Last edited by ILikeOranges; 05-09-2015 at 01:34 PM.

ILikeOranges@Zaviel - ARAK IS FINALLY DEAD (MoM World 1st)

Great guide Orange! Easy to understand and very helpful
    Dimensions on Gelidra EU: Horror House -The Crypt - Blossom Hill - What the Hell...? - Echo Falls - This is Battery Acid, You Slime! - A Beautifully Decorated What..?! - Bad Santa - Bates Motel - Christine - Butcher Bob's II - The Remake
    NEW!
    Mountain View

Plane Touched

Basic kalert set:

Code:
    KA::AQ+sceNq9lU9vmzAYxr8Kt62Xzgb/AflkG6NNqnpIs1sk5IKToFGIwGiKtA8/h9AmpUlLGqk
    yB8CvX/949PhBdGXZemprvO+r+oZBNmebUm9Nw3x3m7ghXMW3voQxwPpXwI1ZsbQs1lb/WPz+tdC
    PRVnYbVpkddUu1kbn7bq2/m2et4xCyjDCDIW7C7rBpLqfq9nuDvYjAP1mw+v+ifT7JP8e/rqNvAf
    X7RgODnBHsxxCGYlQoTBQHEcBdsvhJNxGb4qeF/W8mBCGo3d4wZ5wfpL3rs7+ePfeXa3zfvtXwHN
    2PM0TGcaUqwiGJKCYx5OJ14VNdZWnTVftkYFjJcGHEp9GFgcPZPnIA8nYA5zwMELCp7H0pUIETYe
    +zBXvqix082jysS1urW5Wxr6IfVzFkY8VlpDQGMaUiOn2eKobq8sDObnOH8VqbauiWnlJ12zPwid
    sVMgJVlziOBIK4jigYjJ/uWvk+qRL12dw+DXaS11mXantW/2HzHDLRiU8SRAFMQh9HIUShdH0s1m
    vOrPTHu61h5/RHgbPYWIq22w9oa01r8R/IR9V8EQlgFAAeQiEVGC6a6x52pjWpss669p0WTRmMM+
    npIfDB8x2UeUlrtsZ7RM2LuHI6R1jjiWKAeY0ujwXoT4c2fPigzPi47cxozN70wOP4vyrcwZ85PU
    H2+ilOSXzMMNJBCUPKYwkoVBQxMhUzrbvkOrB2Ff54qduT53HZ12Pp50R3I8SUSGwAJCo+HI/BPs
    UgVfk4H/454Dw

Prophet of Telara

You should also mention which synergy crystal is better. Also how much is the difference between BE>ES>SB>PV instead of energy manipulation? I find PV much better in pvp, it can crit for over 100k each tick with raid buffs.
    Last edited by Otts; 02-22-2015 at 10:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by elfaraon View Post
    you really need to play more pyro . I bet you are a warrior or rogue so your opinion is not accurate at all. By the way pyro is not even close to have the highest burst in the game tell that to a sin or warlord

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Otts View Post
    You should also mention which synergy crystal is better. Also how much is the difference between BE>ES>SB>PV instead of energy manipulation? I find PV much better in pvp, it can crit for over 100k each tick with raid buffs.
    PV is slightly higher in value per tick than Barbed or Calculated but it doesn't generate CP. Along with that, both Barbed and Calculated are lower in global value than Marksman's average DPS output (By more than 10%). Energy Manipulation is a direct gain with no conditions and is the clear winner of the 65 masteries.
    Last edited by haybale; 02-22-2015 at 12:30 PM.
    Haybale@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by Otts View Post
    The 3 seconds of Planar variation are essentially replacing a rapid fire shot, empowered shot, and deadeye shot during bull's eye. Rapid Fire Shot and Deadeye Shot both crit higher than a power variation tick, and Empowered Shot has a very similar crit to Planar Variation, so even if you were to use that, it isn't worth putting it into bull's eye

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by ILikeOranges View Post
    Hasted Shot:

Low damage finisher, however increases your movement speed by 20% for a duration based on the number of combo points consumed (3 seconds per combo point, meaning 15 seconds as should only be used at 5 combo points).
    The reason this is not used over deadeye shot, even though it would allow the use of a calculated shot, is because:

Hasted Shot -> Calculated Shot -> Empowered Shot -> Swift Shot -> Calculated shot -> Hasted Shot -> Calculated Shot -> Empowered Shot -> Swift Shot -> Calculated Shot

Does less damage than

Deadeye Shot -> Swift Shot -> Empowered Shot -> Calculated Shot -> Swift Shot -> Deadeye Shot -> Calculated Shot -> Empowered Shot -> Swift Shot -> Calculated Shot
    Do you know roughly how much dps difference it is? a few k? 10k?
    Just wanna know if its viable to even consider learning this block incase there are full movement scenarios that last longer than a few seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by hohlistix View Post
    Do you know roughly how much dps difference it is? a few k? 10k?
    Just wanna know if its viable to even consider learning this block incase there are full movement scenarios that last longer than a few seconds.
    Well quick math tells me the difference between the two blocks is roughly 6%, can't tell you in terms of damage as that would be gear dependant. However these aren't actual dps blocks, in reality you would have a 'Rapid Fire Shot -> Empowered Shot' in the middle too, for both of them.

Anyway, If you really have to move in a fight, I would just improvise and throw in a hasted shot where you would normally stand still and cast deadeye, rather than actively thinking about this 'block' and trying to replicate it. Then just follow up with a calculated shot and continue your rotation as normal. There isn't any encounter yet where you will have to be repeatedly using hasted shot (or can't think of one at this point in time anyway).

Soulwalker

First of all I just want to thank you for the guide. I noticed the link to the souls shows 10 ranger and 5 nightblade vs the 11 and 4, was that intentional or no?

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Canopy View Post
    First of all I just want to thank you for the guide. I noticed the link to the souls shows 10 ranger and 5 nightblade vs the 11 and 4, was that intentional or no?
    Same difference. Important part is one of the points in the second tier of ranger is predatory instincts. Both Wilderness Training and Burning Rage provide the same buff (2% AP/Weap DPS per point). The minuscule difference between 11 NB and 10NB is the extra pet damage, but you don't normally pull your pet out because it can mess with the tanks and would die from the first bit of damage it would take because it's so weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Canopy View Post
    Ok I'm not gonna lie, that was slightly intentional and was hoping someone would ask . I did it because 11 ranger/4 NB is literally the same as 10 ranger/5 NB except for the pet damage which is irrelevant

Great guide! I've been playing this spec hard and heavy since it launched... and I am still learning apparently!
    Had Lightning Fury macro'd and now after reading this guide I see how it would be a DPS loss due to less swifts = less Calculateds. Will now be maintaining it manually.

Thanks again for the detailed write-up and hopefully we will see more MMs and less Raptors.
    [SIZE="3"]
    Wolf@Hailol - Wolf@ Greybriar - Wolf@Deepwood - Wolf@Wolfsbane - Wolf@Seastone - Wolf@Laethys - Wolff@Faeblight - Wolfbones@Hailol - Lunawolf@Hailol - Primalwolf@Hailol - Blazenwolf@Hailol

I'm a returning player I'm currently at 65 and using MM and wondering what people use as their builder macro. I've been working on mine but still having issues.
    Barbed shot I do manually

I have the slayer expert crystal

What I'm finding is that my shots aren't fluid- meaning I feel like my toon stalls when going to the next ability. And were not talking lag, for example just on a test dummy.

I open with barbed just to apply the dot, then finisher macro (generally rapid fire shot then hasted) dead eye is kept out of macro.

To build back up I have empowered shot, cast energy manipulation, empo shot again... And then swift shot. I'm writing this as I'm at work so I can't verify this with my macro.
    There's not many builders to work with, at one point I had calculated shot in the macro and then took that out.

As it is, with completely un-runed gear except my weapons, and only my MM buffs, I'm pulling 23-27k dps avg.

Quote Originally Posted by khaleesy View Post
    I'm a returning player I'm currently at 65 and using MM and wondering what people use as their builder macro. I've been working on mine but still having issues.
    Barbed shot I do manually

I have the slayer expert crystal

What I'm finding is that my shots aren't fluid- meaning I feel like my toon stalls when going to the next ability. And were not talking lag, for example just on a test dummy.

I open with barbed just to apply the dot, then finisher macro (generally rapid fire shot then hasted) dead eye is kept out of macro.

To build back up I have empowered shot, cast energy manipulation, empo shot again... And then swift shot. I'm writing this as I'm at work so I can't verify this with my macro.
    There's not many builders to work with, at one point I had calculated shot in the macro and then took that out.

As it is, with completely un-runed gear except my weapons, and only my MM buffs, I'm pulling 23-27k dps avg.
    You should have warmasters crystal

There is no builder macro, as it is a dps loss, your builders are empowered shot, swift shot, calculated shot. And Barbed shot, lightning fury refresh when needed

Not sure how you got 2 empowered shots into one builder, but you shouldn't be hardcasting empowered shot ever, nor should it come off cooldown before using a finisher

For building, you rotate between swift and calculated depending on whether the movement speed buff from swift shot is active or not, as if it is active, calculated shot will not go on cooldown, which is your goal

Your character stalling can be three things;

1) ****ty servers (though there is no lag in rift ofcourse ^^ )
    2) putting energy manipulation into macros (try not to do this it tends to just cause lag in the macro)
    3) attempting to use empowered shot right after deadeye shot, don't do this either, use a swift shot or calculated shot, whatever is relevant, and then use empowered shot. Using empowered shot at 3 combo points tends to be the easiest

When somebody prefaces their post by saying they are a new or returning player, they're not looking for a min max dps guide. They are more likely wanting an easy run down to play the spec.

In which case they'd be better served looking at the Quick MM guide with everything in the macro & call it a day.

#show empowered shot
    cast serpent strike
    cast empowered shot
    cast calculated shot
    cast lightning fury
    cast swift shot

#show rapid fire shot
    cast rapid fire shot
    cast deadeye shot
    cast hasted shot

Open with dead eye shot > barbed > spam to 5 cp > finisher > spam > finisher > sentry battery > spam > finisher > strafe to 3 cp > spam > finisher

Go nuts. Adjust macro as you feel out the spec and timing of abilities.
    Last edited by Archemys; 03-09-2015 at 06:30 AM.
    <Coriolis>
    Archemys

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast