+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 61 Bladedancer in PvE - A comprehensive guide

Soulwalker

This build seems pretty subpar when you follow the in-game guide(at least in the low and mid levels). Is this intentional? Seems like it deliberately avoiding side perks(most of them are useful).

Quote Originally Posted by Avehn View Post
    This build seems pretty subpar when you follow the in-game guide(at least in the low and mid levels). Is this intentional? Seems like it deliberately avoiding side perks(most of them are useful).
    you need to be 60 to use this build to its fullest
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

I'm a homeless stray of a raider

This guide is written for endgame, not people that are below level 60.

The in-game preset shouldn't even be accessible until level 60, in fact. Is it letting you select it at lower levels? Because if so, I need to see if I can get Vladd to change that.
    Last edited by Muspel; 05-24-2014 at 09:44 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    This guide is written for endgame, not people that are below level 60.

The in-game preset shouldn't even be accessible until level 60, in fact. Is it letting you select it at lower levels? Because if so, I need to see if I can get Vladd to change that.
    So that's why.. I'm currently level 40 and it lets me select it.

So that's why.. I'm currently level 40 and it lets me select it.
    Ugh, yeah, that definitely shouldn't be happening. I'll ask Vladd about it next week.

Just to check, though, you're saying that it lets you select the Dervish preset, right? (The Bladedancer soul will always be accessible, it's just the preset that should be locked off.)
    Last edited by Muspel; 05-25-2014 at 03:08 PM.

Soulwalker

Ugh, yeah, that definitely shouldn't be happening. I'll ask Vladd about it next week.

Just to check, though, you're saying that it lets you select the Dervish preset, right? (The Bladedancer soul will always be accessible, it's just the preset that should be locked off.)
    Yes, it's the Dervish preset.

Okay, thanks.

Soulwalker

Hi,

in your Dance ST dps gain list (First post) you have dualism behind B&SP. In the solo thread (BD/RS) dualism is ahead and from parces of some BD i saw them using dualism straight after fated blade? Mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by Wasilisa View Post
    Hi,

in your Dance ST dps gain list (First post) you have dualism behind B&SP. In the solo thread (BD/RS) dualism is ahead
    Dualism is stronger for the solo build relative to the other dances than it is for 61 Bladedancer, because a bigger portion of your DPS comes from offhand attacks (as you don't have Double Strike or Binary Strike in the solo build, and as a result you use Keen Strike and Dauntless Strike instead, which are weaker).

Quote Originally Posted by Wasilisa View Post
    and from parces of some BD i saw them using dualism straight after fated blade? Mistake?
    The order of the dances that you see in parses doesn't mean much, because it will vary depending on when you need to AoE during the fight. The theoretical optimal order for ST DPS is BaSP->Fated Blades (extended with Hundred Blades or Dancing Steel)->Dualism->Double Coup, clipping Double Coup when Blade and Soul Parity comes off of cooldown. And you would never use Blade Tempo.

However, in practice, Bladedancer is not the spec you want to use if all you do is ST DPS, because its ST DPS does not compare favorably to Assassin. It's used on fights where you need both ST and AoE, and that means that you will adjust your dance order to the fight, depending on when you need to AoE. For instance, you will often end up using Blade Tempo if you need to AoE outside of BaSP/Fated Blades, and you might not have one of the channels available to extend Fated Blades if they're both on cooldown (or there's an AoE phase coming up that you need to be ready for).

About the only thing that's immutable is that you want to start the fight with BaSP to stack up Duelist Pose faster, but after that, you need to have a customized plan for how you will handle your dance order so that your AoE dances match up with the times that you need to AoE as well as possible-- you don't want the highest AoE DPS requirement to be lined up with Dualism or even Double Coup.
    Last edited by Muspel; 06-27-2014 at 07:44 AM.

Soulwalker

Can this be used for PVP? Or Raids? I really like the build so far and Its fun to play.... and I wanna use it more then PVE

Quote Originally Posted by IHateYourName View Post
    Can this be used for PVP? Or Raids? I really like the build so far and Its fun to play.... and I wanna use it more then PVE
    Raids are PvE, and yes, it can (and should) be used on any raid encounter where you need good ST and good AoE, such as Gelidra.

You can use it in PvP, but I do not recommend doing so, as it has some very glaring weaknesses. It's squishy, suffers horribly on disconnects, and doesn't have good ST burst. And AoE DPS is nowhere near as useful in PvP as it is in PvE, particularly because all AoE damage is reduced in PvP.
    Last edited by Muspel; 06-27-2014 at 12:29 PM.

Raids are PvE, and yes, it can (and should) be used on any raid encounter where you need good ST and good AoE, such as Gelidra.

You can use it in PvP, but I do not recommend doing so, as it has some very glaring weaknesses. It's squishy, suffers horribly on disconnects, and doesn't have good ST burst. And AoE DPS is nowhere near as useful in PvP as it is in PvE, particularly because all AoE damage is reduced in PvP.
    BD isn't terrible in pvp but it can be managed by better players

this is my currently recommended pvp spec: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#xkGB5liGkG8/wnA8/tf

twilight force works well for disconnects and the extra hitpoints from 4RS and planebound resilience make the spec a little more durable.
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

I didn't say it was terrible, I said it has significant weaknesses.

While it can be used in PvP, it's generally falls far short of being competitive. Like I said, the single-target isn't enough to put pressure on targets, especially with how badly you fare on disconnects, and the AoE isn't enough to make up for that. AoE PvP specs like Saboteur have the saving grace of having AoE utility and CC abilities like Choking Gas Bomb, and even then those builds are situational.

Bladedancer's only real claim to fame is that it can probably do more DPS to a tank than anyone else, thanks to Fated Blades, but since you shouldn't attack tanks anyways, that's not a particularly useful niche.

Even calling it a viable PvP spec is arguably a stretch, since PvP is intrinsically competitive and BD is badly outclassed by other builds at basically every relevant aspect of PvP.

Regardless, all of this is outside the scope of the guide, considering the thread title.
    Last edited by Muspel; 07-07-2014 at 12:06 PM.

Shadowlander

Hi, i always felt that rouge is very squishy and can not take on 4 mobs of the same level and kill them at once. So i went on to make a warrior and that could do it very well. I am new, like 3weeks? into the game, rouge at 60, warrior at 50. was wondering if you could tell me which class would be better in aspect of pve raids, and also solo pve.[the aoe grind things]
    thank you.

Plane Touched

" And you would never use Blade Tempo."

This is a nit-picky point, but that statement is somewhat false. As you know (I believe it is explicitly explained in the guide) you use Blade tempo when the tank pulls to activate your BD synergy crystal.

Correct me if I am wrong, but your opening goes:
    Blade Tempo -> Flash of Steel ->Binary -> Keen -> Binary -> BaSP -> Double Strike (Dauntless Strike if needed)

NMT T1: Cleared
    NMT T2: 10/11 HK | 4/4 iGP HM

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast