+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: 61 Ranger DPS guide

RIFT Guide Writer

Default 61 Ranger DPS guide

Spec: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#z...B4/yr8/ws|TLT0
    Selfbuffs: Virulent Poison, Leeching Poison, Feral Instincts, Ravenous Instincts, Spirit of the Wilderness, Blood Raptor
    Gear: Max out crit power first, then stack AP. If you are tier 3 geared then crit items are good too.

There are a couple of spec variations which you may find worth it especially for progression. They sacrifice dps for mobility and are made by replacing the 3 NB with either RS or MM.

For maximum dps the rotation must follow a few rules:

Feral Aggression and Animalism.
    These are your dps cooldown abilities and they need to be used in sync since they improve each other and they have the same timers. The right time to use them is just before Twin Shot. I find it's fastest to use the abilities in a row if they are in one macro.
    Code:
    #show animalism
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast feral aggression
    cast animalism
    cast twin shot
    It is important that Feral Aggression and Animalism are in this order in the macro so you won't lose the fraction of a second of Animalism uptime on casting Feral Aggression. Do not regularly delay using the cooldowns and wait for raid dps cooldowns to align with them. If you have chloros or tacticians who put up their Wild Growth/Power Core without delays whenever they are available then you can do so now that the cooldown is 30 seconds and can be synced.

Ace Shot
    A debuff ability which must be maintained on the target at all times, refresh it before it runs out. Sometimes this means refreshing it quite a few seconds before it runs out since you don't want it to drop right when you'd need to use Twin Shot, Shadow Fire or Splinter Shot. It's better to be safe than sorry with Ace Shot.

Splinter Shot
    Splinter Shot ticks for a total of 6 times; at 0, 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 seconds. 2 ticks is slightly less damage than one Quick Shot but 3 ticks is substantially more. This is valuable information when you decide whether you should do Splinter Shot right before the dps cooldowns. All the ticks get the damage bonuses you had when you used the ability so you always want to fit in 2 Splinter Shots during the cooldowns.
    You are operating on a 30 second cycle so you use 3 Splinter Shots per cycle.

Shadow Fire
    Shadow Fire is your second hardest hitting ability after Twin Shot. After the recent change to Shadow Fire it's best to use it on cooldown but I still wouldn't waste combo points to do that and delaying it a couple of seconds to use it with Animalism should still be a good idea.

Head Shot
    Use Head Shot once per minute to get Bestial Fury buff. Since Animalism and Feral Aggression are on 30 second cooldowns this easy to sync and you never have to make decisions whether to redo Head Shot during Animalism or not as long as the first one was done outside of them.

Twin Shot
    Twin Shot is the main finisher of ranger and the bulk of your dps. All the timing of Shadow Fires and using the cooldowns right before Twin Shot has one aim. It is to fit in 4 of them during each Animalism.

Energy Manipulation
    This is the level 65 mastery ability. It is not affected by personal or raid cooldowns so the only thing that matters is using it as often as possible. I find it best to add this line to my macro and forget about it.
    cast @self energy manipulation

Rotation
    All in all the rotation is easy. Just spam builders with the simple priorities in mind until you get to 5 combo points and then use a finisher.

Other Abilities
    For utility you have Piercing Shot which is the normal single target armor debuff. The personal dps loss of using it rather small but current armor debuffs are also very weak, it's still a dps gain to use it if no one else is already doing armor debuff. Do not macro Piercing Shot into a spam macro since it will then fire during Animalism and mess with your rotation, it lasts long enough that you should only do it when your cooldowns are not active.

You also have an aoe interrupt in Concussive Blast. It no longer does damage or uses your combo points so it can now be used to interrupt whenever you need to.

For AoE you have Rain of Arrows and Trick Shot. Both of them are low damage and just about not worth using for actual AoE. However you can use Trick Shot to gain extra combo points which lets you do more Twin Shots. Trick Shot itself is very low damage so you need an average of about 0.75 combo points per Trick Shot to break even on the main target. So you need 5 other targets around your main target so you can cleave without single target dps loss. The combo points come with a delay so you are best off using Trick Shot only when you have 1 combo point and also do not let using it mess up your Splinter Shot/Shadow Fire/Ace Shot timing since those are still more important. If you find yourself aoeing often as ranger then you are playing the wrong spec for the situation.

Also remember to turn all the pet's abilities to autocast by right-clicking them on the pet control bar. The new charge ability autocast is by default off so it must be turned on.

Opening Rotation

Start with 5 combo points, use sab, MM or physician to get combo points if necessary.
    Head Shot, Ace Shot, Splinter Shot, Piercing Shot, Quick Shot, Feral Aggression/Animalism+Twin Shot
    Shadow Fire, Splinter Shot, Quick Shot, Twin Shot
    Then continue normally.

Soloing with Ranger
    A typical way to solo with ranger would be to use the boar pet but its tanking capabilities and dps are very lacking. Better option is to use the blood raptor. Ranger is not an aoe grinding spec and this section of the guide is mostly for soloing stuff like chronicle bosses especially if you don't have the tactician soul for self healing.

Use 2*Vampiric Essence on your weapons and remember to use Spirit of the Wilderness. This will give you a respectable amount of self healing.

Start with Divert Rage so your raptor gets the agro. Don't worry about healing it, it heals itself a lot with Bloodied Blow. If the incoming damage is very heavy and the pet dies then just resummon it. After you get the threat from your pet use Diffuse to transfer incoming damage to your pet when needed.
    Last edited by Gery; 04-16-2016 at 07:04 PM.

Good write up, if I gave a **** about ranged dps specs I'd make a ranger build and try this stuff out.
    <Condemned> - 4/4 ToDQ, 4/4 FT, 5/5 EE

Prophet of Telara

Thanks for the super detailed guide! I'm one of those that hate melee so anything that will improve my range dps is extremely helpful!

In the section about Shadow Fire, you say to delay it by 5s so it aligns with the two CDs. However in the rotation section under Option A, SF is the second ability in the opening rotation (which breaks your rule about "make sure you don't use Shadow Fire in the rotation leading up to the cooldowns") and if I follow this, SF I find is very tricky to align with the 2 CDs. By the time SF is ready to be used again for the second time, the two CDs still have somewhere around 30s left before they're available again which means I'll delay using SF for about 10s.

For me it's easier to align SF with the 2 CDs by going AS, PS, SS, QS x2, HS, QS x4, 2 CDs + TS, SS, SF. By going this route, I can fire SF every time I use the 2 CDs since their timer now matches (20s for SF and 40s for the 2 CDs).

But they have a 45 sec CD?
    A witty saying proves nothing
    - Voltaire
    One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork.
    - Edward Abbey

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by m1nus View Post
    Thanks for the super detailed guide! I'm one of those that hate melee so anything that will improve my range dps is extremely helpful!

In the section about Shadow Fire, you say to delay it by 5s so it aligns with the two CDs. However in the rotation section under Option A, SF is the second ability in the opening rotation (which breaks your rule about "make sure you don't use Shadow Fire in the rotation leading up to the cooldowns") and if I follow this, SF I find is very tricky to align with the 2 CDs. By the time SF is ready to be used again for the second time, the two CDs still have somewhere around 30s left before they're available again which means I'll delay using SF for about 10s.

For me it's easier to align SF with the 2 CDs by going AS, PS, SS, QS x2, HS, QS x4, 2 CDs + TS, SS, SF. By going this route, I can fire SF every time I use the 2 CDs since their timer now matches (20s for SF and 40s for the 2 CDs).
    No it doesn't break the rule. As long as there are 6 or more abilities between the times when you use Shadow Fire and the cooldowns then it will be available right at the end of them. That's why opening rotation B does not use it at the start since there is not enough time but option A does.

The 5 second delay is the average total delay needed per 2 shadow fires. It's the difference between 45 seconds for animalism/feral aggression and 20 seconds each for the shadow fires. Really it's not that tricky as long as you pay attention to when you initially use it and then don't let it slip and the only real way it can slip is if you don't delay it at all in which case it can be ready to use in the last buildup of combo points leading into feral aggression/animalism.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Ymirson View Post
    But they have a 45 sec CD?
    After using the 2 CDs, I use SS and SF so by the time I fire SF, the two CDs have already used up around 5s and thus they each have about 40s left... which coincides well with SF's 20s CD.

Gery, I'll try your rotation again later. I tried it a couple times last night after you posted this guide and I just couldn't time SF enough so that it always fires when the 2 CDs are up. Well, I could but like I said I have to wait like 7-10s for SF which is too long.

Plane Touched

Thx for this gery.
    You r still the only guide writer i trust enough that i dont have to test it myself.
    U saved me a lot of pts time again
    Envy is now recruiting for 3.0 hardcore raiding
    http://envyrift.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Painful View Post
    Thx for this gery.
    You r still the only guide writer i trust enough that i dont have to test it myself.
    U saved me a lot of pts time again
    Hey! Is that a shot at me? If I have something wrong in one of my guides, post the mistake instead of making wise cracks so I can benefit from the information too.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    Hey! Is that a shot at me? If I have something wrong in one of my guides, post the mistake instead of making wise cracks so I can benefit from the information too.
    Its not like your guides has mistakes they are just not detailed enough.
    Your guides are for pugs, gerys guides are for minmaxing.
    Envy is now recruiting for 3.0 hardcore raiding
    http://envyrift.com/

Ascendant

any parses of this vs mm? I'm curious to see how it parses in raid gear
    \

Quote Originally Posted by Reticularize View Post
    any parses of this vs mm? I'm curious to see how it parses in raid gear
    Im courious too...
    Last edited by Nynja; 04-22-2013 at 07:35 AM.
    Quite@Typhiria
    -GreatWhiteNinja- he was right after all -
    61 Dominator Guide
    Nightmare rifts - An indepth guide to reach stage 300

I saw a difference of about 500 DPS when I tested it on the PTS, but I was also getting small lag spikes at irregular intervals, which probably skewed the results.

I'm also unsure of how well the pet does on moving targets, even with the new charge.

Rift Master

My guildies are saying that they are getting a large difference, in the 1k range. However, I'm finding less so myself. Personally, I've played MM so long (like 1.6), I know the rotation backwards and forwards, and there's no debuff management.

However, I'm finding Ranger very easy to screw up so far. Between all the buffs/debuffs, getting the timing down just isn't happening for me yet to maximize it.

RIFT Guide Writer

Before I started optimizing my rotation I was getting about 17.6k with ranger compared to 17k with MM in the dummy foundry. Now I'm getting about 18k with ranger. There is quite a bit of random involved in how much twin shot happens to crit since even in a 5 minute parse there aren't enough of them to truly average it out yet. Sometimes I get 17.6k and sometimes I get as high as 18.4k.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Reticularize View Post
    any parses of this vs mm?
    For me, this beats MM by a few hundred more DPS... about 600 DPS more on average which is enough to make it my new go-to range DPS spec. I still have Muspel's MM build just in case my guild needs a range or backup interrupter but from now on, I'll be using this build.

Only thing I find annoying is sometimes my pet will be attacking and then it will randomly stop attacking and go back to me. I didn't change targets or LOS or anything like that. Sometimes also it will stop attacking, move back a few meters away, and then start attacking again. Kind of like it's giving itself enough room to charge or some **** like that. Happens like 5% of the time and I don't know what's causing it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast