+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: [2.1][PVE] 61 Assassin- complete guide

Default [2.1][PVE] 61 Assassin- complete guide

61 ASSASSIN GUIDE Rift patch 2.6 (Video at end SPOILER: Regulos p1 teaser)

The video contains most of this information, this is just for those that need a more in-depth explaination on how this build works.

Introduction: Assasin- Rogue-

The assassin soul from the rogue calling is by no means an easy spec to pick up on. It is one of the highest single target DPS specs in the game when used properly but has a lot of room for error. I recommend this spec to be used only by those that want a challenge and are good with quick decisions, not recommended for new players.
    The assassin soul is the epitome of what rogues have traditionally been in most games, they rely on stealth and heavy amounts of burst damage to bring targets down. They have several bleeds(dots) that need to be managed and a lot of their damage comes from their buffs known as “poisons”.

Builds:

There are two major builds depending on your itemization. This guide pertains to the 6 ranger variant as I have found this to be a lot higher dps in a raid setting.

61 assassin/ 10 mm / 5 NB: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...utRgkz.x0V.-11
    This build is more orientated around those itemizing for Attack power and has another dot you can manage that makes disconnects for this build a little easier called fiery spike. For me in raid the critical chance for this build comes out to be between 31-33%.

61 assassin/ 9 mm / 6 ranger: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...utRgkz.x0m.-11
    This build is more orientated around those itemizing for Crit power. Due to the scaling of this spec compared to the 10mm/5NB this is no longer the highest DPS spec. Disconnects hurt you a little bit more than the other spec, but with an increased crit RNG this spec has the potential to parse higher. For me in raid this spec gets between a 38-40% crit rating. (Recommended for those that want a more high risk/high reward playstayle)

This guide mostly pertains to the 6 ranger variant as that is what I suggest you use. The only major difference is usage of Fiery spike from nightblade. When it comes down to it I found that just made the gameplay more of a hassle because if you clip it or let it drop off, it is a big dps loss and it also is much worse for target swapping. HOWEVER it does make a very good alternative to swift shot so on disconnects I would definitely use it.

Macros
    Builder:

-I use backstab as the tooltip so I know when it is off cooldown to get behind my target really quickly
    -I recommend not macroing serpent strike so that you can use it when it’s reactive timer is up (8 second cd instead of 20)
    -Don’t macro in leaping plunge unless you want to die to mechanics

#show Backstab
    Suppressmacrofailures
    Cast Serpent Strike
    Cast Backstab
    Cast savage strike
    Cast swift shot

Finisher:

#show final blow
    Suppressmacrofailures
    Cast final blow
    Cast Hasted shot

Thread:

#show Thread of Death
    Suppressmacrofailures
    Cast thread of death
    Cast jagged strike

Key abilities (suggested key bindings):
    -Builder
    -Impale
    -Finisher
    -Puncture
    -Expose weakness
    -Slip away
    -Serpent strike
    -Leaping plunge
    -On the double
    -Enduring brew
    -Stealth
    -POISON MALICE

Buffs:
    Lethal poison, Virulent poison, Malicious poison (and predatory instincts if using ranger offsoul)

Key Points

- Get puncture up asap and maintain it as soon as it falls off (Unless you are at 5 combo points in which case use finisher, then apply)(apply it after jagged strike is applied if it is just falling off… where applicable)

- Use expose weakness before engaging a new target

- For disconnects always use leaping plunge if able to, if not then use on the double

- Try not to waste combo points (macroing serpent strike will cause this if you don’t pay attention)(if thread of death or slip away comes off cooldown at either

- NEVER, I repeat, NEVER cut OR let impale fall off. Use a lower combo point final blow to make sure of this, or if you are swapping to a different target try to get an impale off. This means Try to get Impale up on the target just after it drops off.

- When in a situation with multiple targets it is a DPS gain to get imaple and puncture on as many of them as you can. Example is last phase of Progenator when there is him and one other boss up.

- Be behind target when you can, if it isn’t possible DON’T TRY TO MAKE IT POSSIBLE (This is a little obsolete now due to recent changes, the only ability that benefits from this is backstab and it is only by 5.2% more damage

- Enduring brew is a lot more useful than you think it is (It gains 30 energy now, great for energy starvation issues)

- Try to maintain maximum uptime of Cloak and dagger, which is a 15sec buff applied after using jagged strike or any other from stealth attack

- USE POISON MALICE WITH FLARING POWER or some other big DPS increaser like lava field. If you are going to macro poison malice, find another spec to play.

- Always use thread of death before slip away.

- Use thread of death/slip away to reapply Jagged strike with 1 second of Cloak and Dagger remaining (gives the new Jagged strike the bonuses from Cloak and Dagger)

Itemization:

For the 5 NB get attack power gear, it will scale better due to the AP increasing functions of the nb and mm trees.

For the ranger variant crit power. Get it plain and simple. In raid full buffed I run about an average of 38-39% critical chance between my abilities which makes Crit power more potent in this spec than any other raiding rogue spec by a large margin. You can refute this all you want and I am not going to bother with stat weights, this is based on my raiding experience and the numbers that I pull.

DPS “rotation”:

(look at key points section before this)

There is no set rotation since every fight has different situations like target swapping, disconnects, etc.. but there is a Priority system that needs to be followed.

- Keep Expose weakness up. (Manslaughter in the tree takes care of this passively, no need to use expose weakness except for target swapping)
    - Keep dots up at all times! (how to is covered in key points)
    - Try to use thread of death and slip away on cooldown to maximize cloak and dagger uptime
    - Poison malice during a big DPS boost.
    - Pay attention to serpent strike so not to waste its proc

(Removed opening rotation for now to update when I get home today)

Use stuff on cooldown after that and follow my key points.

NOW the part you really care about.
    VIDEO:
    DISCLAIMER: this is the first video I have made, any suggestions/comments are welcome

THIS VIDEO WILL BE REPLACED WITH SOMETHING CURRENT SOON.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions shoot me a pm/ ingame tell.

Lithmygoo@deepwood

EDITS:
    - changed tips to say maintain cloak and dagger now due to it's increased duration
    - removed information about positioning that is now irrelevant.
    Last edited by Orangu; 07-17-2015 at 03:11 PM.

Lithmygoober@deepwood
    Lithmygoo@deepwood

oops, messed up the finisher macro, replace swift shot with hasted shot.
    Last edited by Orangu; 02-13-2013 at 12:00 AM.

Lithmygoober@deepwood
    Lithmygoo@deepwood

Plane Touched

Nice guide.
    I found 10ranger/5NB best for offsouls btw (im stacking CP too)
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...tRutRgkz.x.-11
    Envy is now recruiting for 3.0 hardcore raiding
    http://envyrift.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Painful View Post
    Nice guide.
    I found 10ranger/5NB best for offsouls btw (im stacking CP too)
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...tRutRgkz.x.-11
    I agree, but without swift shot/ hasted / on the double, in a raid setting the spec you posted will suffer much more from disconnects.

Lithmygoober@deepwood
    Lithmygoo@deepwood

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Orangu View Post
    I agree, but without swift shot/ hasted / on the double, in a raid setting the spec you posted will suffer much more from disconnects.
    Depends on boss ye.
    Im using it only for goloch anyway (and crucia if im in that mood)

If I get guide writer status I'll add that spec to the list, you make a valid point, on certain fights it would be better.

Lithmygoober@deepwood
    Lithmygoo@deepwood

Plane Touched

Btw did u find any way to farm energy potions or its just the arena dailies in scarwood reach?
    Since this build is starved like hell i need some of those.

Well I still have ~400 of them, but I'm not worried about it since we have joy and it isn't a big problem for me in raid. I would say time serpent strike/ thread of death / poison malice and everything else that makes assassin good around your energy.

But if you watch the video you won't see me power starved at all.

Last edited by Orangu; 02-13-2013 at 01:33 AM.

Lithmygoober@deepwood
    Lithmygoo@deepwood

How are you parsing as opposed to some of the other 61pt builds? I was getting very close numbers in pre-classfix testing in Dummy Foundry across all 61pt souls, but I also wasn't very well versed in Assassin at the time and was still lacking a 4th piece of raid gear. Of course with Assassin being crit centric and your gearing method, you'd likely be parsing a little more ahead with Assassin than the average bear.

And another question -- with mid-400's in Crit Power (~440 I think), do you think that would count as high enough to benefit more from the 6 Ranger spec?
    Last edited by Rootyy; 02-13-2013 at 04:16 PM.
    Rootyy@Greybriar <Too Many Buttons>
    12/13 T1 || 2/4 GA
    Reality is for people who don't play video games.
    Rootyy == Moirain == Euphemia == Saiyu

Quote Originally Posted by Rootyy View Post
    How are you parsing as opposed to some of the other 61pt builds? I was getting very close numbers in pre-classfix testing in Dummy Foundry across all 61pt souls, but I also wasn't very well versed in Assassin at the time and was still lacking a 4th piece of raid gear. Of course with Assassin being crit centric and your gearing method, you'd likely be parsing a little more ahead with Assassin than the average bear.

And another question -- with mid-400's in Crit Power (~440 I think), do you think that would count as high enough to benefit more from the 6 Ranger spec?
    The dummy foundry isn't really a good way to test because it doesn't have things like flaring power/power core and such which is when I pop poison malice and drastically increase my dps as opposed to other builds. As it is for me in raid this spec on fights where melee disconnects aren't terrible I do far over every other spec, about 3-3.5k over 61 mm, about 2k over 44 nb 32 sin and about 2.5k over 61 NB. This is all single target of course.

in mid 400's with crit power I would definitely recommend you start using the 6 ranger 9 mm variant.

Lithmygoober@deepwood
    Lithmygoo@deepwood

Quote Originally Posted by Orangu View Post
    The dummy foundry isn't really a good way to test because it doesn't have things like flaring power/power core and such which is when I pop poison malice and drastically increase my dps as opposed to other builds. As it is for me in raid this spec on fights where melee disconnects aren't terrible I do far over every other spec, about 3-3.5k over 61 mm, about 2k over 44 nb 32 sin and about 2.5k over 61 NB. This is all single target of course.

in mid 400's with crit power I would definitely recommend you start using the 6 ranger 9 mm variant.
    All similarly geared, I assume, as well? You and your other Rogues.

Other than that, that's all I needed answered. Many thanks, sir.
    12/13 T1 || 2/4 GA

I'm actually way worse geared since I just finished my rep for the lessers today and have none lol, but I have a relic mainhand so that closes the gap a bit.

No problem! I'm probably going to get clips of recordings at the end of kills to kind of demostrate the DPS output.

Lithmygoober@deepwood
    Lithmygoo@deepwood

Now that you mention the video, here's a little bit of feedback:
    It was pretty difficult to make out what your meter was showing and I skipped through the vid a little bit to watch the parses and such. I noticed you mentioning the parse but didn't actually say what the parse was, and I didn't recall you say what the parse showed at any other point. If you could say the parses when you edit the vid, overlay a closeup/rewrite of what the parser shows, or simply type what it shows next to the videos, it'd be a big help
    Last edited by Rootyy; 02-13-2013 at 04:47 PM.
    12/13 T1 || 2/4 GA

Thanks for the post, been waiting for this. I especially liked the leap/malice tips.

As for the video, it was good just stop running/jumping and moving your camera like crazy, it gets tiring. Stand and explain, then do the rotation. Not being negative, just constructive. Looking fw to the regulos video. I can't wait to use this in raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Rootyy View Post
    Now that you mention the video, here's a little bit of feedback:
    It was pretty difficult to make out what your meter was showing and I skipped through the vid a little bit to watch the parses and such. I noticed you mentioning the parse but didn't actually say what the parse was, and I didn't recall you say what the parse showed at any other point. If you could say the parses when you edit the vid, overlay a closeup/rewrite of what the parser shows, or simply type what it shows next to the videos, it'd be a big help
    it goes to 1080p so you can see them if you set it to that. the parse was at 18.7k dps until the tentacle storm (movement) where it dropped to 17.1 and then started to rise again., very bursty spec. Thank you for the feedback though, I will do that for the future.

Lithmygoober@deepwood
    Lithmygoo@deepwood

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast