+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Top Ranged DPS Spec for SL

Rift Disciple

Default Top Ranged DPS Spec for SL

I am posting this guide so all the information on this build and similar ones is in 1 place in hopes of improving the rogue community and updating people who might still use the old variations of this build. I have parsed and tested for countless days with several different variations, including builds with a point in strafe, to come up with the final results and here they are.

The Build: 40MM/36RNG
    *Note* this is intended to be top ranged DPS, I will discuss added utility later

Buffs:
    Feral Instincts
    Electrified Munitions
    Rending Munitions
    Blood raptor (yes i consider him a buff lol)

Spam Macro:
    #show shadow fire
    cast shadow fire
    cast empowered shot
    cast swift shot
    petattack

Finisher Macro:
    #show rapid fire shot
    cast rapid fire shot
    cast hasted shot
    petattack

AoE Macro: *Note* - only use this for AoE while moving, if stationary use Rain of Arrows
    #show lightning fury
    cast lightning fury
    cast fan out
    petattack

You must also manage splinter shot, Head shot, and Quick Reload.
    If you use Karuul Alert (which i reccomend for any build) you can add these settings to help

Head Shot: Head shot;1;T;player;1;T;F;T;Bestial Fury;A5DEF68DE2AC0408B;0;1;F;F;0;0;Rift;Data/\UI\ability_icons\awareness_01.dds;904;549;28.8;28 .8;0.6;1;;CENTER;1;;1;1;1;30;T;T;CENTER;30;T;6;F;0

For Splinter shot: splinter shot;1;T;player.target;1;T;F;T;Splinter Shot;AFBE49CA25884FC67;0;1;F;F;0;0;Rift;Data/\UI\ability_icons\killer_instinct.dds;792;549;28.8 ;28.8;0.6;1;;CENTER;1;;1;1;1;30;T;T;CENTER;30;T;6; F;0

For Quick Reload: Use this right after a Rapid Fire Shot to get another RFS on your next finisher.

Sample opening rotation, starting with 0 combo points:

Spam (shadow fire) > Splinter shot > Spam (empowered shot hard cast) > Finisher (shoot to kill now up)
    Spam > Spam > Spam > head shot
    Spam > Spam > Spam > Splinter shot > Finisher

Now all you main buffs should be up and you can go into you primary DPS rotation of spams and finishers while managing splinter shot (don't clip it early), head shot, and Quick Reload after your next Rapid Fire Shot.

Default Utility:

Deaden - You have an inturrupt, USE IT

Added Utility:

Strafe: If you do not have a the 4 piece bonus with MM crystal, this is a DPS increase at the cost of having to manage another cool down. Move 1 point from "Controlled Fire" to pick this up. If you have the 4 piece bonus, my testing has shown strafe to be a slight DPS loss and just 1 more thing to manage.

Hasten Call: Move 1 point from "Master Huntsman" to pick this up. It is a very useful skill and highly recommended for most fights unless you are amazing at pet micro management

Close Quarters Combat: Less useful than hasten call, but if you feel like you need it, move 1 point from "Single Minded Focus" to pick it up

Piercing shot: If no one in your raid can do an armor defbuff, drop the 1 point from blood Rage and pick up this skill. Otherwise it isn't necessary.

Final thoughts:

That pretty much sums up the build but, just to get the other alternative builds out of the way (because I know they will be posted), in the next section I will debunk several of the other close variants I have seen posted on these forums. I have already covered the strafe issue and it is probably the most common, but I will cover the others.

1. Switching 1 point from Shoot to Kill to get 5/5 controlled fire: In this variant you are losing 10% damage from MM combo builders to pick up an increased 4% to all ranged attacks. This trade off is not worth it considering your MM combo abilities are nearly 50% of your total damage

2. Moving 2 points from "Thrill of the kill" into "Blood Rage": a quick parse, done correctly, will show you splinter shot damage > total pet damage. On top of that, in movement fights or in fights where you have to change targets the pet has a fairly slow run speed so it isn't even attacking at all times. Even worse, if your pet dies, you have gimped your DPS even worse.

3. Using Wolf over the Raptor and putting that point into Steady Hand: The wolf has about 100 DPS less than the raptor but the extra 4% AP from stead hand could probably cover that in most cases. However, more importantly, the wolf has 1 less ability and absolutely no aoe which adds up to less crits and less up time on "Prey on the Weak", which is a huge DPS loss.

4. Getting Penetrating Shots over Single Minded Focus: I think this one has been covered quite a bit but I still see it showing up, SMF > PS.

Not Sure if 2/2 in Rapid Extrication is worth it.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Hosss View Post
    Not Sure if 2/2 in Rapid Extrication is worth it.
    Wow I'm actually inclined to agree with you, I just parsed and gained 100 DPS form making the switch, i'll see if i can get the original post changed.
    Otherwise,
    The Build: 40MM/36RNG
    Last edited by PopeOrGod; 12-07-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Telaran

I dont see why you would take a point in Steady Hand over a point in Controlled fire.

4% Increased damage and 1% less energy cost vs 4% attack power and weapon damage.

Im fairly low geared but the average damage of my empowered shot is 8000 damage, 4% of that is 320 damage. I dont think 4% ap and 4% weapondamage will make up for that

Also you have chosen to go for 5% damage (Single Minded Focus) over 10% armor penetration (Penetrating Shots). I guess this one depends on how much armor the boss has... but i think 10% armor reduction is going to give a greater increase than 5% damage (seing how this increased damage is also lowered by the armor).

However these are all speculations and im happier to be proven wrong than tell people im right when im not Gonna go do some testing and see what i come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Stabbzalot View Post
    I dont see why you would take a point in Steady Hand over a point in Controlled fire.

4% Increased damage and 1% less energy cost vs 4% attack power and weapon damage.
    You need 36 points for Feral Instincts.

Rift Disciple

Not having 2 points in Rapid Extractions should leave you at 15 seconds cooldown for Deaden, if you're on interrupt duty (Zaviel for example and basically any encounter where you need to interrupt), this isnt cutting it.

Also in your original build i would remove 2 points from Single Minded Focus and put them into Collateral Damage, Collateral damage is basically single minded focus + more aoe damage.

Quote Originally Posted by GenjuroK View Post
    Not having 2 points in Rapid Extractions should leave you at 15 seconds cooldown for Deaden, if you're on interrupt duty (Zaviel for example and basically any encounter where you need to interrupt), this isnt cutting it.

Also in your original build i would remove 2 points from Single Minded Focus and put them into Collateral Damage, Collateral damage is basically single minded focus + more aoe damage.
    He stated that this is the top ranged DPS build. Having 2/2 in Rapid Extrication is not the optimal DPS spec. I carry 2 40/36 mm/rng builds, one with Hasten Call and one without.

Amazing guide and very nice things pointed out ther

Just need to know what you say about Feral Instincts Vs Predatory Instincts ?
    also most people claim that DeadEye Shot is dps+ which i disagree with can you prove it ?
    as for hasten call i think no good rogue should ever use it because pet will not die if you know what is killing them and avoid it correctly otherwise its just 1 lost point
    Last edited by Zetsuu; 12-08-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsuu View Post
    Amazing guide and very nice things pointed out ther

Just need to know what you say about Feral Instincts Vs Predatory Instincts ?
    also most people claim that DeadEye Shot is dps+ which i disagree with can you prove it ?
    as for hasten call i think no good rogue should ever use it because pet will not die if you know what is killing them and avoid it correctly otherwise its just 1 lost point
    a quick parse will show you using hased over deadeye will increas eyour dps by 30-400 if not more

as for feral vs pred, if you allocate points how i suggest you dont have a point in pred and instead you put that point into an extra 4% ap. so to fully answering your question, by using feral instead of pred u gain 5% dmg and lose 1% AP, i think the choice is pretty easy to make

Soulwalker

Wondering if there isn't a better place for the points in Sniper Training and Killer Instinct since Hasted>Deadeye, LnL makes Empowered instant, Fast and Furious makes Shadow Fire and Splinter instant, and this spec isn't using Strafe.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Leezergeezer View Post
    Wondering if there isn't a better place for the points in Sniper Training and Killer Instinct since Hasted>Deadeye, LnL makes Empowered instant, Fast and Furious makes Shadow Fire and Splinter instant, and this spec isn't using Strafe.
    I think the abilities that are brought down to instant by LnL / Fast and Furious still count to the abilities with cast-time. I'll have to do some testing but im pretty sure it does.
    Stabbzalot <Priceless> R51 LVL60 Rogue - Icewatch EU
    Faelynn LVL 26 Warrior - Icewatch EU
    The rogues against rogues movement, add this text to your signature if you are a rogue that is secure enough in your capabilities that you do not need your class to carry you. Nerf rogues please!

I'm consistently getting higher numbers with the 40-36 variation with strafe. I can't even break 10k with this variation.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

I take it back, I like the non-strafe variant better. It might have been bad RNG. Your results will also differ depending on whether you use fervor or not.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Soulwalker

I have almost identical build.

Except I moved 1 point from Master Huntsman to Hasten Call (as already PopeOrGod posted, because i am not excellent at pet micro management).

And as GenjuroK already wrote i took 2 points from Single Minded Focus and put them into Collateral Damage.

I lost 2% damage of all attacks and gained +2% single target ranged weapon damage and +8% AoE ranged weapon damage (or is there any trick 2% of all attacks is more damage because pet damage is counted there?)

3/3 collateral damage 40MM36RNG

Thak you very much PopeOrGod for the Karuul Alert settings.
    Last edited by Horalka; 12-10-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Soo silly question but what is sniper training helping out? If one were to take the tooltip at face value it increases the dmg of cast time and channeled attacks... of which this spec has none.

The first empowered would have a cast time, but others should mostly be instant unless you mess up your rotation. Strafe isn't in the spec. We're not using Deadeye Shot with a cast time. Shadow fire is instant.

Is there some other reason we're taking it, not stated in the tooltip?

Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast