+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 51 MM PvP Guide

Default 51 MM PvP Guide

I don't think there's a solid 51mm pvp guide so I thought I'd write one up. My spec/variation might not be perfect but it's more a guide on how to play MM rather then my personal preferences.

Build:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...dAudR.VMR.V.-6

Why 51mm?
    Passives. More points in the MM soul = more dps

Macros:

#show crippling shot
    cast crippling shot
    cast lightning fury
    cast quick shot

#show rapid fire shot
    cast rapid fire shot
    cast hasted shot

#show strafe
    cast strafe
    cast quick reload

#show lightning fury
    cast bull's eye
    cast lightning fury
    cast fan out

Buffs:
    Vampiric munitions
    Electrified munitions
    Predatory instincts
    Planebound resilience

Key abilities/binds:
    Barbed shot, quick shot macro, strafe macro, finisher macro, lightning fury macro, retreat, on the double, shadow shift, deaden, eradicate, break free and repelling shot.

You will need to use all these abilities and have them setup to play the spec properly.

Rules

Rule #1. Stay 30m plus range from their pack. It's that simple really, you should always be pre-kiting. By pre-kiting I mean flow with combat, if your side is pushing be moving up. If they're pushing kite back. Don't wait to be attacked to start moving around... and don't jump around like a special needs child getting excited because the short bus just arrived. You get damage buffs for standing still, flow then plant and attack but be ready to move even if you think you might be attacked.

Rule #2. To kite you must turn perpendicular from your target (90 degrees) and then strafe away. You will move full speed away from your target and can continue to keep attacking them as they chase you. Q and E are your friends.

Rule #3. Purge. It's that simple, for the MM who don't purge you're bad. Stripping buffs is your forte and what lets you take people down.. especially against another MM. I rarely lose a 1v1 against another MM because they don't strip my buffs or hop around like an idiot. Best to just plant and try to burn them before they burn you. If they side steps kite until it's down and then they're an easy kill.

Strategies against classes/builds

Taking out a healer. Build to 5 combo points - strip their buffs (purging until nothing left) - rapid fire - strafe - hit strafe again for quick reload - rapid fire. Works every time. This is for when you have enough time. You won't have enough time a lot, but this strategy works to take out a healer almost every time solo. It's not always practical, but keep it in mind for when you're able to pull it off. Always use your interrupt if you see a cast bar.

Against warriors... they're your nemesis. Kite keeping them 30m+ back, keep barbed shot up, purge their port buff, if they port up you port back. If one has their sights on me I'll be honest, I barely win the majority of the time. I think they were designed to take out MM so they're an issue.

Against cleric and mage dps... rofl. If you lose to one you're bad and not following rule #1, stay 30+ meters back. With the snare you should have no issue taking one out. I've taken two out at the time same just by using my range. For the mages who port up and squirrel you, break free immediately and get out of 30m range. That's the only strategy that can work against you so it's possible for them to win if your break free is down, otherwise they're an easy kill.

Against other rogues. Kite, barbed and profit. Against other MM, purge buffs and stand in place and dps them down.

One important thing... if they mount, you mount. Against multiple players on the other team a good strategy they'll sometimes use is mount up to chase you. It lets them close the distance quickly getting into range to use their ports, etc... If you see them stop and mount up, mount up yourself and run for it until help arrives. If you ever see the mounting cast bar, port back and mount yourself right away.

Rotation:

Always keep barbed up, hit combo point generator.. then finisher at 5 combo points.

If the other team is clustered and a warrior on your team is aoeing then spam aoe to apply vampiric in aoe. Your aoe isn't going to kill anyone on it's own, it's more to support other aoers if your side is trying to aoe the other side down.
    Last edited by Mayi; 06-22-2012 at 04:04 AM.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Not a fan of your macros but thats me.

Have you tried 18 ranger 48 MM.
    Gnarlwood - Belladonna - P50 Rogue
    Seastone - Puandro - P24 Mage
    Im here for the PvE, not the unbalanced subpar PvP.
    Just Waiting...

I would recommend putting Crippling Shot on a separate hotkey.
    Also, I don't quite understand why you're macroing QR to Strafe?
    Last edited by Zaros; 06-22-2012 at 09:25 AM.
    ~Quiescent

Quote Originally Posted by Puandro View Post
    Not a fan of your macros but thats me.

Have you tried 18 ranger 48 MM.
    No I haven't. I'd think if you go higher in ranger you'd need to use shadowfire... which is a mistake imo. MM who use shadowfire are usually pretty easy to take out, I kite out of range during the cast so shadowfire doesn't hit or they're wearing pve gear so squishier then I am.

This spec also doubles as my pve MM spec for if I have to interrupt/purge in an encounter too. For pve you need to stay 51.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    I would recommend putting Crippling Shot on a separate hotkey.
    Also, I don't quite understand why you're macroing QR to Strafe?
    Saves two keybinds. Why would you use quick reload if strafe was still up?
    Last edited by Mayi; 06-22-2012 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    Saves two keybinds. Why would you use quick reload if strafe was still up?
    If you needed a speed boost or an extra retreat to move more quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    If you needed a speed boost or an extra retreat to move more quickly.
    This. Its just bad gameplay.

Anyways most people run pve weapons. So i just run pvp weapons and 2 piece ranger so its not such a big difference. 18 ranger is nice if you ever get a chance to try it.
    Just Waiting...

Whats the point break down Puandro? I'll try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaliguwra View Post
    Whats the point break down Puandro? I'll try it out.
    Im at work atm so i cant access zam but the whole point is having opportunity from ranger while using 2 piece ranger crystal.
    Just Waiting...

Alright, I'll play with it later.

Just Waiting...

General of Telara

I use 2 piece ranger for instant shadowfire and splinter shot. Not sure how useful splinter is but I like the extra dot while running or when people run from me.

I used to have quick shot in macro but prefer hasted for extra run speed, I just apply quick shot manually.

I think 51 mm is excessive due to standstill bonuses being rarely utilised in PvP. Have to admit I have a duh moment reading this in that I have not been making enough use of lightning fury

Ascendant

Mayi,

You have made me enjoy Whitefall and Codex and Black Garden again.

I love it.........you are point - on, stun, silence, debuff, blue bars run forthe hills deserting their comrades to die

LOL.

Thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaszar View Post
    Mayi,

You have made me enjoy Whitefall and Codex and Black Garden again.

I love it.........you are point - on, stun, silence, debuff, blue bars run forthe hills deserting their comrades to die

LOL.

Thank you so much.
    Another spec I'm playing with that I like is 44MM-22sin (with perm stealth). Grab perm stealth and the stun (put the stun at the top of your spam macro for if a warrior charges you). Then the only difference is if you're being chased LoS and then stealth.

Ascendant

LOL sounds fun, right now I have been hop, skip, jumping, speeding off, and flipping back, stun and run again - which is also fun, they hit me couple times then give up

And, I go back after their blue bar buds lol.

Eas
    Telaran

14ranger/1rs give more dps iirc. Just saying.
    United we stand, divided we fall, all as one!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast