Closed Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Sozu's PvE Marksman Guide, [v1.5]

Default Sozu's PvE Marksman Guide, [v1.5]

edit: removed piercing shot from the build as per request by all the hardcore raiders

1.5 has brought along some excellent changes to Rogue in general. One of my favorite changes involved the Marksman soul. As I'm a very big fan of Rogue ranged DPS as many of you know, I decided to try and make the best Marksman build possible. I'm sure others have already came up with the top builds I figured I'd make a detailed guide as to how I personally play my Marksman.

This build will be endlessly tweaked using our excellent Rogue community suggestions, much like the Sozu Ranger Guide was. So this is not my work, this is the work of the entire community.

Keep in mind that I am very behind in gear right now and am still using a Verdant Archbow and Greenscale melee weapons. So someone with better gear will do substantially higher dps. Another Rogue in my guild almost broke 1700 completely self buffed on the dummy (no fervor)

I'll start with the build itself. Very simple build!
    51 Marksman / 14 Ranger / 1 Riftstalker

4 minute Parse Screenshot (completely self buffed)

I have parsed on live servers a consistent 1400-1500 dps completely self buffed (no fervor or any other class buffs whatsoever).

This is about average. The build hovers around 1500 almost the entire 4 minute parse.

How it's played:

It's actually quite simple how to play the new Marksman. It's much less reliant on cooldowns and puts out much higher sustained DPS if played right. You pretty much use a mix of Ranger and Marksman abilities in your macros. We'll get into those after some of the basics are explained.

I wont get into the details of all the talents this time around as most of you should already know them. So lets get straight to macros and rotations.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    Buffs:

Predatory Instincts
    Electrified Munitions
    Silver Tipped Munitions
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    Macros:

Main CP builder:

#show Swift Shot
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Crippling Shot
    cast Lightning Fury
    cast Quick Shot

Main Finisher:

#show Rapid Fire Shot
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Rapid Fire Shot
    cast Deadeye Shot

These are the only 2 macros I use.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    I wont go into full detail on my hotbar setup but it's basically only 4 buttons involved in the main rotation.

Simplified Hotbar Setup:

1 - Shadowfire
    2 - Main CP builder macro
    3 - Finisher Macro
    4 - Headshot
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    The rotation is as follows:

1. Shadowfire > CP builder > CP builder > CP builder > CP builder > Headshot

2. CP builder > CP builder > CP builder > CP builder > CP builder > CP builder > Finisher Macro

Repeat rotation 1 when Shadowfire is off cooldown but only finish with Headshot every minute as the buff is needed.

I basically add a 6th CP builder macro to account for Lightning Fury which is one of the hardest hitting instant casts in the entire build. You definitely want to use it on cooldown.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Cooldown Management:

Use Strafe on Cooldown only when you have 0 combo points. I usually use it after a Shadowfire rotation + finisher.

For Quick Reload I usually save it for when major burst is needed.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

*IMPORTANT NOTE TO RAIDERS*

When in a raid setting you will need to make an obvious tweak to the build. Move points out of Piercing Shot completely and put them into Bolster. Then take it out of your macro. Lightning Fury can also be removed from your macro if you so choose.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Hope this helps some people. I'm really enjoying it and hope it doesnt get nerfed in the near future. Feel free to add any tweaks you come across and I will add them to the guide appropriately. I have tested well over 10 different Marksman and Ranger builds and this one came out on top BY FAR.

A few other things I wanted to add about this build. Your 3rd soul allows for flexibility. You can choose whatever you want really...Bladedancer will give a decent defensive cooldown, Riftstalker for the blink, Saboteur for an AOE snare. The choice is yours!

On a side note...The amount of other tools you bring with this build is just astounding! Eradicate, Deaden, Divert Rage, Retreat, On The Double etc. This is such a great build all around!
    Last edited by Sozu; 10-13-2011 at 07:49 PM.

Shatterbone ~ 60 ROGUE, 50+ MAGE ~ The Abyss

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

LF and Piercing Debuffs stack? That is disgustingly good if it's the case. Thanks for the post and great to see you back. Any updates for a Ranger Spec too? Been struggling finding something I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenat View Post
    LF and Piercing Debuffs stack? That is disgustingly good if it's the case. Thanks for the post and great to see you back. Any updates for a Ranger Spec too? Been struggling finding something I like.
    Hmm, looks like they dont stack, guess that cuts that out of the rotation lol.

edit, Actually maybe not. Lightning Fury actually hits really hard. Let me see here...*scurries off to testing dummy*

edit #2, Yup...Lightning Fury hits harder than almost all other skills. If only it build a combo point though >.< This gonna take longer testing in order to tweak it right.

Yeah, I stand by keeping Lightning Fury in the rotation until further notice.
    Last edited by Sozu; 10-02-2011 at 02:26 PM.

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Shenat View Post
    No, they don't stack. But Lightning Fury is one of the strongest CP builders.
    That's the reason why you should put Piercing Shotafter LF in the macro.

Quote Originally Posted by Sozu View Post
    Yes they do stack and its amazing lol.
    And why do they overwrite each other??
    Last edited by Sindariel; 10-02-2011 at 02:19 PM.
    Sindariel - Mage - Brutmutter EU

Quote Originally Posted by Sindariel View Post

I just used lightning fury on the dummy and didnt get a CP.

I use 51/15 sin It does about the same damage as this ,but no buffs to worry about. Leaves me more focus for boss mechanics. Use the 15 ranger build if you want to squeeze the most dps though.
    Last edited by Zyzyx; 10-02-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Sindariel View Post

Lightning fury doesn't build CPs, and they don't stack because both are armor debuffs, same type debuffs don't stack.
    Take lightning fury out, it's worthless if you have piercing.
    Also, why on earth do you have quick shot and swift shot in the same macro? You shouldn't be putting QS in a spam macro if you have 3/3 IQS.

(Gear)

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzyx View Post
    I just used lightning fury on the dummy and didnt get a CP.
    You're right. My bad. LF really doesn't give a CP.

I did a test on the dummys:
    Swift Shot after Lightning Fury = 803 dmg
    Swift Shot after Piercing Shot = 820 dmg
    Swift Shot after Lightning Fury -> Piercing Shot = 820 dmg

I would say they don't stack.
    Sindariel - Mage - Brutmutter EU

Have you tested this in raid?

I was using deadeye but switched to hasted because of knockbacks ect. I have a very similar build only difference is I use quick reload and have head shot macro'd to strafe.

When you called me delusional I laughed so hard I almost fell off my unicorn!!

also, hasted shot after deadeye for when you are ON THE MOVE!

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzyx View Post
    also, hasted shot after deadeye for when you are ON THE MOVE!
    Don't do this, just keep hasted on a seperate key and stop for a small fraction of a second to let it off.

(Gear)

Yeah ignore anything about armor debuff on Lightning Fury. Its only used because it's a very high damage skill compared to others. You definitely want to use it on cooldown even though it does not even build a combo point.

I notice a decent loss of dps from not using it. I also notice a loss of DPS using Empowered Shot. So before anyone suggests using that without the MM synergy crystal, dont bother using it.

Edit: Idk where people are getting that Lightning Fury builds a combo point from. I never mentioned that at all and actually said you need to add 1 GCD to most rotations FOR Lightning Fury. Even look at the rotations, they have 1 extra GCD between finishers to account for Lightning Fury.
    Last edited by Sozu; 10-02-2011 at 02:46 PM.

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Why did you leave strafe out of the rotation?
    Mine is not much different than yours. Mainly i add in strafe and head shot as a finisher after strafe to keep the head shot buff up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfetx View Post
    Why did you leave strafe out of the rotation?
    Mine is not much different than yours. Mainly i add in strafe and head shot as a finisher after strafe to keep the head shot buff up.
    Strafe isnt exactly a "rotation" Strafe is a cooldown. I will add cooldown management to the guide for those that are too braindead to assume the obvious lol.

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

I really don't like the 1/2 in BF, especially if you have the MM crystal; thats 2 non MM finishers, or more that you may have to burn to keep that buff up. 2/2 or no points in it at all IMO.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

I'm also working on a new Ranger build and it's surprisingly competitive. Although it falls slightly short of 51 point Marksman it still puts out very respectable dps. My highest so far was 1450 as 33Ranger/33Marksman.

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast