+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Grughar's 31 Dervish

Telaran

Default Grughar's 31 Dervish

I've had several people request that I make a guide for how I play Dervish during my raid streams, so here we go. Note: I am not a normal guide writer so forgive me if this isn't exactly how you'd like it written.

The build I use is the 31/4/4

Buffs
    Font of Savagery
    Zephyr

Masteries
    Included on the soul tree link

61: Primordial Strength
    62: Steadfast Rejuvenation
    63: Ursine Tenacity
    64: Elemental Affinity
    65: Spiritualism

Macros

This is the macro to use once you are at 100 cunning, as such I call it my Cunning Macro
    #show Whirling Dervish
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Whirling Dervish
    cast Lashing Wind
    cast @self Spiritualism

This is the macro to use once you are at 100 fury, as such I call it my Fury Macro
    #show Earthfall
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Earthfall
    cast Tectonic Spike
    cast Seismic Smash
    cast Subduction
    cast Aftershock
    cast @self Spiritualism

Individual Abilities
    Primal Avatar: Wind Serpent
    Air Cutter (damage)
    Savage Twister (dot)
    Fury Blast (dot)
    Squall (lethal buff if needed / pull)
    Scirocco (interrupt)
    Rockslide (charge that doesn't suck anymore)
    Shifting Wind (amazingly OP defensive cd)

Concept

Here is a link to our first Pagura kill on release week for a raid breakdown so you can see why you should argue your right to play melee / not hybrid. This week I had a very similar breakdown but was #1 dps with 125k total dps and 66.5k into the boss; the only person that did more dps to the boss than me was a 61 Harb that pulled 72k. Sorry, I don't have a screenshot for that one because I dced during Arak and lost my parses. Those dps numbers (for all players) will of course go down considerably depending on how well your tanks kill nests / if they try at all.

It's worth noting that I do not have BiS dps runes, dream orbs, and I am wearing tank pants for hit in t3, because I'm a main spec tank that did not get enough guard gear from HK before t3 release.

I went ahead and did two five minute parses, though I failed to end exactly at 5:00 due to spacing out. I parsed once, screen shot, and moved on, so these are not "the best parses" I had available and were done within minutes of each other. No consumables (vial / weapon enchantment) done with my live gear in all of its glory. Expert CP pants with hit rune because I'll be damned if I'm putting something good on those blues. The rest of my gear is solid except for my rings are the Str and Dex Phys Crit rings from iGP, so they aren't ideal.

Parse on live 78,829 over 5:01
    Parse on PTS 99,280 over 5:05

Two Sicaron parses from the same night. The other Primalist, Squanchy, is playing the hybrid BerVulDer and has better gear than I do because he's main spec dps.

I had one contract. 181,766 #2 DPS. We died because of a purge in the last 10%.
    I had three contracts. 179,102 #3 DPS. We killed it.

This is where I stress that I'm not a math guy that strategically builds the perfect theory build. This is a raid tested rotation that is effective and feels right for me, so if you are looking for #1 Dervish Theory Spec look at other guides. This is to give people that are struggling with current Dervish options an alternative. Note that when I say right for me, that's coming from someone who mained as a Warrior from beta to Primalist release. So, it feels more warrior-y than Vulcanist.

What I do differently is prioritize Air Cutter 0s casts. So a lot of this rotation is using the no cast time function of your Primal Avatar for instant Air Cutters as well as getting the Quick Breeze proc often and using them. Quick Breeze is obtained by using an Earth ability, and the proc reduces your Air Cutter cast time to 0s. Whirling Dervish and Earthfall are to be used on CD, making it almost possible to perfectly maintain your Cyclicism buffs without the mastery. Due to mechanics and the like I still recommend using it, though, cause the alternative is a stun that's not super raid useful unless specifically needed.

Rotation

Depending on how fast your raid puts up raid cds I recommend opening using either:

Seismic Smash > PA OR Tectonic Spike > Air Cutter > Seismic Smash > PA

During PA I'm a fan of abusing the 0s cd.

PA > Cunning Macro (Whirling Dervish channel) [100] > Savage Twister [0] > Cunning Macro (Lashing Wind) [40] > Air Cutter spam x7 (8 depending on latency) [100] > Fury Macro (Earthfall channel) [PA buff is done here] [0] > Air Cutter [10] > Fury Macro [10] > Air Cutter [0] > Savage Twister [this will be done after every Earthfall to avoid clipping Savage Twister]

This puts you at Harmony with Savage Twister up, from here we want to get to 100 Cunning.

Fury Macro (Tectonic Spike) [20] > Air Cutter [10] > Fury Macro (Seismic Smash) [30] > Air Cutter [20] > Fury Macro (Subduction) [60] > Air Cutter [50] > Fury Macro (Seismic Smash) [70] > Air Cutter [60] > Fury Macro (Aftershock) [80] > Fury Macro (Tectonic Spike) [100].

Depending on how fast you are / any delays in the fight, the order of those abilities will change but the concept won't. You'll still have to double tap Fury Macro twice at the end for 100 Cunning without ignoring Whirling Dervish.

That looks confusing, for a visual I have Air Cutter on 1 and Fury Macro on 2, so it's 2121212122. If you continue the back and forth all the way to 100 Whirling Dervish remains available too long, but this is viable if you know a cleaving situation is only seconds away, or a phase change.

From here we want to go toward 100 Fury for Earthfall.

Cunning Macro (Whirling Dervish Channel) [0] > Savage Twister [0] > Air Cutter [10] > Cunning Macro (Lashing Wind) [50] > Fury Blast [10] > Cunning Macro (Lashing Wind) [50] > Cunning Macro (Lashing Wind) [90] > Cunning Macro (Lashing Wind) [100] > Cunning Macro (Lashing Wind) [100] > Fury Macro (Earthfall channel) [0] > Air Cutter > Fury Macro [10] > Air Cutter 0 > Savage Twister

Note: IF your latency/mechanics work in such a way that Earthfall is off GCD already, ignore the second [100] Lashing Wind, it's just filler. Alternatively, you may find yourself forced to wait on using Earthfall, in which case you'd use your Fury Macro and get an Air cutter in before another Lashing, or if you're really delayed you can use another Fury Blast (without clipping the original) and Lashing.

From here you're waiting for PA to be off cooldown, so spam Fury Macro > Air Cutter back and forth until both PA and Whirling Dervish are off CD, it doesn't matter what your Cunning is at because it will go to 100 once you use PA and the whole thing can begin again.

Rotation starts over from the PA block.

If a mechanic forces you to mess up your rotation timing, you can spam Fury Macro > Air Cutter (use Savage Twister if you know it will fit well) to "waste" some time waiting for stuff to line up again.If this happens when you can use Earthfall don't forget about your Fury Blast to avoid messing up that cooldown.

Conclusion

I understand that there are holes that can/should be optimized, but this is effective and has a good flow to it if you're OK spamming a lot of Air Cutter. I encourage all players to pursue builds that work for them as well as builds that achieve the necessary numbers, so if you have a Dervish build that parses higher / smoother for you, I am not trying to win you over with this.

Ultimately, I just hope I didn't typo anything / miss something. That'd be embarrassing.

Cheers for reading.
    Last edited by Grughar; 11-21-2015 at 04:30 PM.
    Grughur Grughar Grughir
    <Nephilim> @Greybriar 3/4 HM CoA

Nice job on the guide - I like how you're not an elitist on all your points saying this is the only way to play it and give multiple options to people.

This is a rotation for the hardcore people that want the max DPS which was discussed in the BerVulDer guide section so credits to those people, I think having it on an official Dervish Guide would be good to have as well as yours, I can see your rotation helping me a lot because I play with 280ms.

The Hardcore rotation:

Phases:

1 = Primal - Max Fury - PH
    2 = PH - Max Cunning
    3 = Max Cunning - Max Fury - PH

Rotation:

1) SS > PA > WD > ST > LW > AC*3 > SS > LW > AC*3 > EF
    2) AC > SS > AC > ST > Ts/As > AC > Sub > AC > SS > AC > Ts/As > AC > Ts/As > Ts/As
    3) WD > ST > LW > FB > LW > Ts/As > LW > Ts/As > LW > Ts/As > LW > EF
    Last edited by Gilgad; 01-30-2016 at 03:33 AM.

Plane Walker

scumbag dps whirling dervish..... :P

Aenomaly former <Fires of Heaven>
    Aenomaly - Draenor
    T1: 12/12 - T2: 15/15 - T3: 9/9 - World #1 Arisen Arak
    "A user interface is like a joke. If you have to explain it, itís not that good."

Telaran

This may seem a silly question, but are you hard casting air cutter or is there something I'm missing in all the rotations above?

'Air Cutter Spam' How exactly is this possible?
    Last edited by argana; 11-12-2015 at 05:30 AM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by argana View Post
    This may seem a silly question, but are you hard casting air cutter or is there something I'm missing in all the rotations above?

'Air Cutter Spam' How exactly is this possible?
    Using an earth ability reduces the cast time to 0 on air cutter or increases the damage by lashing wind for 120%

Aenomaly former <Fires of Heaven>
    Aenomaly - Draenor
    T1: 12/12 - T2: 15/15 - T3: 9/9 - World #1 Arisen Arak
    "A user interface is like a joke. If you have to explain it, itís not that good."

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Aeral View Post
    Using an earth ability reduces the cast time to 0 on air cutter or increases the damage by lashing wind for 120%
    Thanks for the reply,

It's this part that's confusing me
    PA > Cunning Macro (Whirling Dervish channel) > Savage Twister > Lashing Wind > Air Cutter spam x7 (8 depending on latency) > Fury Macro (Earthfall channel) [PA buff is done here]
    If I use the given macros to proc instant Air cutters, I end up moving back to cunning, could of course go straight to fury with Lashing spam but that's clearly not what's intended. The author says his aim is to make use of as many air cutters as possible, the rest runs smoothly but this cooldown blocks got me.

*Beffudled*
    Last edited by argana; 11-12-2015 at 06:26 AM.

In Primal Avatar form you can spam Air Cutter regardless of anything else. #themoreyouknow
    Quite@Typhiria
    -GreatWhiteNinja- he was right after all -
    61 Dominator Guide
    Nightmare rifts - An indepth guide to reach stage 300

Telaran

Bingo, Thank you !
    I can quit scratching my head now, while I still have hair left.

Sad case of RTFTooltip
    Last edited by argana; 11-12-2015 at 06:59 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Aeral View Post
    scumbag dps whirling dervish..... :P
    In my defense, the ST was good, too! But yes, Whirling Dervish is way too much fun.

Other folks, thanks for answering questions. Yes, PA removes cast times and gives you 35m range. Honestly, reading that ability was what gave the entire foundation for this rotation, "holy crap I can spam a big hit a lot," which led to more from the Quick Breeze proc. If you ever hard cast an Air Cutter you did it wrong or are standing at range way too long.

EDIT: Argana, I went in to the original post and edited a paragraph to hopefully help readers like yourself.

What I do differently is prioritize Air Cutter 0s casts. So a lot of this rotation is using the no cast time function of your Primal Avatar for instant Air Cutters as well as getting the Quick Breeze proc often and using them. Quick Breeze is obtained by using an Earth ability, and the proc reduces your Air Cutter cast time to 0s. Whirling Dervish and Earthfall are to be used on CD, making it almost possible to perfectly maintain your Cyclicism buffs without the mastery. Due to mechanics and the like I still recommend using it, though, cause the alternative is a stun that's not super raid useful unless specifically needed.
    Last edited by Grughar; 11-12-2015 at 08:03 AM.
    Grughur Grughar Grughir

Telaran

Great, someone had to wear the dunce cap for the benefit of the community.
    Doing it proudly.

Thanks for this post!

Telaran

Did two parses this morning and edited them into the original post. These are 100% single target so you can see what it looks like without the almighty Whirling Dervish cheese.

I went ahead and did two five minute parses, though I failed to end exactly at 5:00 due to spacing out. I parsed once, screen shot, and moved on, so these are not "the best parses" I had available and were done within minutes of each other. No consumables (vial / weapon enchantment) done with my live gear in all of its glory. Expert CP pants with hit rune because I'll be damned if I'm putting something good on those blues. The rest of my gear is solid except for my rings are the Str and Dex Phys Crit rings from iGP, so they aren't ideal.

Parse on live 78,829 over 5:01
    Parse on PTS 99,280 over 5:05
    Last edited by Grughar; 11-12-2015 at 09:13 AM.
    Grughur Grughar Grughir

subduction buffed on pts
    Last edited by Orangu; 11-16-2015 at 11:46 PM.

Lithmygoober@deepwood
    Lithmygoo@deepwood

Shadowlander

what masteries did you pick? its not on your guide at all

Quote Originally Posted by o0Mabhe0o View Post
    what masteries did you pick? its not on your guide at all
    If you click on the soultree you will see the masteries below the actual soultree.
    RIP RIFT | <Transcendent> | Stream | [AddOn] PullTimer
    Trions business plan ...

Telaran

As stated, they are on the link for the build. I went ahead and edited the first post to include them, though, to avoid future confusion.
    Grughur Grughar Grughir

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast