+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Berserker DPS guide

  1. #1
    RIFT Guide Writer Orangu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,119

    Default Berserker DPS guide

    This guide will be concerned with 31 Berserker

    **NOTE: the single target dps of this spec needs to be vastly improved on, doubling it would still have it behind comparable aoe dps souls.**
    **NOTE: This spec's dps is 100% reliant on usage of the 1 minute CDs and outside of them does very poor AoE dps.**
    **NOTE: Video on the way when my mic works >.>**


    Concept

    Berserker is an AoE burst soul that revolves around proper timing and usage of it's 1 minute cooldowns. While in fury you deal large amounts of AoE damage and while in cunning you do more single target dps.


    Build

    Your lvl63 mastery does not matter.

    I recommend this build for general purpose, 2 dervish because you will probably want Rockfall (the charge from dervish) as it will be the only mobility you get in this spec.
    Link: 31 berserker/6typhoon/2 dervish

    This will be the top DPS build, but it does not have a good way to deal with disconnects.
    For this you will want to utilize low stability and cloudburst because they do quite a bit of damage. You can feel free to macro them over icy cleave in the macros below.
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#Np8/!1kll5ky/_|_tPM



    Buffs

    Font of Wrath
    Residual Pain


    Abilities

    Icy Cleave - Your basic spam AoE. The damage scales higher with every target you hit up to 8. Each cast reduces the cooldown on Icefall and corpsefall by 1 second. Cunning ability, generates 20 fury.

    Creeping Doom - AoE damage over time that applies in a 360 radius around your character. Good for AoE and single target. Lasts 16 seconds, is a fury ability, and generates 40 cunning.

    Corpsefall/Icefall - These abilities are essentially the same except one does death damage and the other is water. While in your fury bar these abilities will do AoE damage, count as fury abilities and generate 40 cunning. While in your cunning bar they are single target, are cunning abilities, and generate 20 fury. Each use reduces the cooldown of underworld shards by 2 seconds It is worth noting that in terms of AoE they deal the same damage, but in terms of single target corpsefall deals more.

    Deathly Tendrils - This ability is a strong AoE burst ability that spreads from it's initial targets. It has a 30 seconds CD, requires at least 40 fury to use, and generates 80 cunning.

    Ethereal corruption - Single target 16 second damage over time that deals a very large amount of damage. With the lvl62 mastery Totemic Power, you can spread this to up to 5 additional targets by using Morbid Slash and refresh it's duration.

    Morbid Slash - Basic single target spam ability. Fury Ability that generates 40 cunning.

    Underworld Shards - AoE spread ability that does a fair amount of damage. Mostly used to control your fury/cunning bar. Cunning ability that generates 60 fury.

    Planar Spout - 1 minute cooldown that does a large amount of damage to 8 enemies around you every second for 10 seconds. Also increases your damage done by 15% for the duration.

    Primal Avatar: Tiger - Sets you to max fury, allows you to spam icefall and corpsefall (which also lets you use more underworld shards) and applies 3 stacks of calculated action and restrained fury. Lasts 15 seconds. 1 minute cooldown

    Spirits Wrath - causes your damaging attacks to deal additional ethereal damage for 10 seconds, 1 minute cooldown.

    Heart Freeze - AoE silence and 5 second debilitate on a 30 second cooldown.

    Whirlpool - Pulsing AoE around your target that yanks enemies in and does damage to them every second and snares them.

    No Witnesses - Gives all your threat to someone else for 6 seconds. Use this when you are about to burst a crowd down on a tank or something.

    Other Abilities

    Low Stability, typhoon - Ranged AoE that could be useful when out of range.

    Rockslide, dervish - A charge and our only form of mobility in berserker. Luckily it does AoE damage. generates 10 cunning.

    Ancestral Force, 65 mastery located under ascended powers - Decent AoE burst that when used towards the end of Planar Spout's 15% damage increase, will lengthen it's usefulness.


    How the Build Works and Macros

    The way this build works is you time all of your 1 minute cooldowns with raid AoE. If it is consistent AoE you will do it at the start of the fight and on cooldown after that, but most of the time you will do a simple single target rotation until the AoE happens, and then blow up your targets.

    It is important to use your 1 minute cooldowns in a very specific order. Since one of them is on the global cooldown, you can't just macro them all together because you will waste your potential DPS. You must try to use them all within the same time-frame so that you maximize their potential. You want to use your primal avatar: Tiger first, followed by planar spout (on the global cooldown) then spirit's wrath and lastly whirlpool.

    Macros to help with this:
    first use
    #show Primal Avatar: Tiger
    cast Primal Avatar: Tiger
    cast Planar Spout

    then use
    #show spirit's wrath
    cast Spirit's Wrath
    cast Whirlpool

    Make sure that you use the first one towards the end of a GCD so that you use planar spout as soon as possible, then use the other macro once planar spout is applied.

    When planar spout is 2-1 seconds (depending on lag) from falling off, channel your Ancestral Force.

    It is an overall DPS gain to apply creeping doom during this, and only to reapply ethereal corruption if it's already on the target, but this may not be ideal because if the AoE targets die before the full duration of creeping doom, you are missing out on dps.

    Save Deathly Tendrils for when you will hit as many targets as possible and for when you want to burst. Feel free to add deathly tendrils to below macro at the top if you do not wish to manage this, but I suggest you do.

    This is your generic spam AoE macro
    #show Icefall
    cast Underworld Shards
    cast Corpsefall
    cast Icefall
    cast Icy Cleave

    You will use this whenever you are trying to AoE, but note that in order to AoE you need to remain in fury mode. To manage this you need to have icy cleave on it's own button and use it whenever your threshold crosses into the cunning bar (unless underworld shards is available).

    When trying to do single target, don't burn your 1 minute cooldowns unless you know there won't be AoE for 1 minute. Maintain creeping doom and ethereal corruption on your target and then use this macro in between.

    #show Morbid Slash
    cast Underworld Shards
    cast Corpsefall
    cast Icefall
    cast Morbid Slash

    I suggest having Morbid Slash on it's own key so that you can use it to transition back into cunning mode if you end up in fury during single targets, and so that you can spread ethereal corruption during AoE.

    No Witnesses macro:
    #show no witnesses
    cast @mouseoverui no witnesses


    Abilities to have outside of macros

    Low stability
    rockslide
    ethereal corruption
    creeping doom
    morbid slash
    underworld shards
    ancestral force
    icy cleave
    Deathly Tendrils

    In Conclusion

    This spec has some of the best AoE burst in the game, able to reach upwards of 1.5 million in BiS gear for a few seconds. The issue is that the sustain AoE and the single target are some of the lowest values in the game among competitive AoE dps souls.

    As always feel free to message me in game, on the forums, or in this post for any questions.
    Last edited by Orangu; 10-15-2015 at 10:39 AM.


    Lithmygoober@deepwood
    Lithmygoo@deepwood

  2. #2
    RIFT Guide Writer Orangu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,119

    Default

    placeholder


    Lithmygoober@deepwood
    Lithmygoo@deepwood

  3. #3
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    439

    Default

    Nice guide and i like this spec alot, and the playstyle is nice but as you said the ST damage is way behind other AoE specs.


    TT is also higher with 31 bers / 7 typh / 1 derv so it should pull ahead for the AoE abilities, ST abilities are abit lower ofc with that.

    Even 31 bers / 6 typh / 2 vulc would give a higher TT but lower then the 7/1 but then you would also get Molten Wave from Vulc wich is pretty strong combined with the AoE dmg increase.

    64 Mastery
    Tooltip also is higher with Heavy Handed instead of two stacks of EA, dont know how this will do exactly in a full rotation and how it would work compared to EA. Even tho EA gives 8% instead of 6% as it should (on pts).
    Last edited by Aeral; 10-12-2015 at 12:30 PM. Reason: added 6/2 + 64 mastery.

    Aenomaly former <Fires of Heaven>
    Aenomaly - Draenor
    T1: 12/12 - T2: 15/15 - T3: 9/9 - World #1 Arisen Arak
    "A user interface is like a joke. If you have to explain it, itís not that good."

  4. #4
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    84

    Default

    **NOTE: the single target dps of this spec needs to be vastly improved on, doubling it would still have it behind comparable aoe dps souls.**
    Reckon modifying Chill of Death to have Icy Cleave AND Morbid Slash reduce the active cooldown of Corpsefall and Icefall by 1s when used would counter this? Would at least make a big difference.
    Grughur Grughar Grughir
    <Nephilim> @Greybriar 3/4 HM CoA

  5. #5
    RIFT Guide Writer Orangu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grughar View Post
    Reckon modifying Chill of Death to have Icy Cleave AND Morbid Slash reduce the active cooldown of Corpsefall and Icefall by 1s when used would counter this? Would at least make a big difference.
    the abilities just flat out don't do enough damage, they could be doubled and it still wouldn't be enough. Corpsefall and icefall as they are would need to be doubled. Can't compete with 74k champion ST when none of your abilities do 74k total damage in a GCD even under perfect conditions


    Lithmygoober@deepwood
    Lithmygoo@deepwood

  6. #6
    RIFT Guide Writer Orangu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aeral View Post
    Nice guide and i like this spec alot, and the playstyle is nice but as you said the ST damage is way behind other AoE specs.


    TT is also higher with 31 bers / 7 typh / 1 derv so it should pull ahead for the AoE abilities, ST abilities are abit lower ofc with that.

    Even 31 bers / 6 typh / 2 vulc would give a higher TT but lower then the 7/1 but then you would also get Molten Wave from Vulc wich is pretty strong combined with the AoE dmg increase.

    64 Mastery
    Tooltip also is higher with Heavy Handed instead of two stacks of EA, dont know how this will do exactly in a full rotation and how it would work compared to EA. Even tho EA gives 8% instead of 6% as it should (on pts).
    the tooltips must be higher for you because you do not have sufficient gear. In my gear all the TTs are higher in this spec. It could also be an ability scaling problem that might need to be addressed, but by design 4/4 is supposed to provide the highest DPS as gear gets better.

    The tooltips are higher because of how the buff stacking works, but losing 4% crit is not worth gaining less than 2% damage, especially on AoE.

    As for going 2 points into vulcanist for molten wave to do AoE, by definition if you need to do that to maintain competitive DPS, then this spec as a while is very unsuccessful and would need a major overhaul so that molten wave is not, nor will ever be a DPS gain.

    EDIT: Just tested your 7/1 build idea and the tooltips were higher by a slight margin, less than 1%. Sounds like something is very wrong in the scaling department, might be a bug I'll report it. This could be the reason why damage numbers are so low across the board.
    Last edited by Orangu; 10-12-2015 at 03:41 PM.


    Lithmygoober@deepwood
    Lithmygoo@deepwood

  7. #7
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangu View Post
    the tooltips must be higher for you because you do not have sufficient gear. In my gear all the TTs are higher in this spec. It could also be an ability scaling problem that might need to be addressed, but by design 4/4 is supposed to provide the highest DPS as gear gets better.

    The tooltips are higher because of how the buff stacking works, but losing 4% crit is not worth gaining less than 2% damage, especially on AoE.

    As for going 2 points into vulcanist for molten wave to do AoE, by definition if you need to do that to maintain competitive DPS, then this spec as a while is very unsuccessful and would need a major overhaul so that molten wave is not, nor will ever be a DPS gain.

    EDIT: Just tested your 7/1 build idea and the tooltips were higher by a slight margin, less than 1%. Sounds like something is very wrong in the scaling department, might be a bug I'll report it. This could be the reason why damage numbers are so low across the board.
    Well i have the same PTS gear as everyone else has.

    Yeah thats why i wrote in a full rotation, on the level 64 mastery.
    But if you are well enough geared with the proper stat weights then +7% -4% pulls ahead in most AoE classes, on live.

    But anyway, both Berserker and Typhoon is nowhere close, lets say, Champion for an example.
    Last edited by Aeral; 10-12-2015 at 08:48 PM.

    Aenomaly former <Fires of Heaven>
    Aenomaly - Draenor
    T1: 12/12 - T2: 15/15 - T3: 9/9 - World #1 Arisen Arak
    "A user interface is like a joke. If you have to explain it, itís not that good."

  8. #8
    Ascendant Sedvick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aeral View Post
    But anyway, both Berserker and Typhoon is nowhere close, lets say, Champion for an example.
    #getrekt #champ4lyf #ihatehashtags

  9. #9
    RIFT Guide Writer Orangu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aeral View Post
    Well i have the same PTS gear as everyone else has.

    Yeah thats why i wrote in a full rotation, on the level 64 mastery.
    But if you are well enough geared with the proper stat weights then +7% -4% pulls ahead in most AoE classes, on live.

    But anyway, both Berserker and Typhoon is nowhere close, lets say, Champion for an example.
    +7 -4 pulls ahead for warrior because as Sedvick will tell you, warrior's 6% more damage option is very close to steady strikes in DPS and the reason steady strikes pulls ahead is because of how badly precision strikes interacts with reaper's bearing and death blossom, for cleric it does not pull ahead in aoe, for mage it pulls ahead because it's the only real viable option, and for rogue it pulls ahead because charges do not apply stacks of repetitive strikes.

    Knowing all of this and that most of our AoE specs damage does not come from self buffs, the 6% self buff will pull ahead every time. +7 -4 may have pulled ahead in PTS gear because you had very low crit power and the value of the 4% crit was diminished, but live is a different ballgame.


    Lithmygoober@deepwood
    Lithmygoo@deepwood

  10. #10
    Plane Touched Loratex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    253

    Default

    if you haven't you should try 8 typhoon for cloudburst, it hits pretty damn hard and is another fury builder which is nice.
    Last edited by Loratex; 10-13-2015 at 10:37 AM.

  11. #11
    RIFT Guide Writer Orangu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loratex View Post
    if you haven't you should try 8 typhoon for cloudburst, it hits pretty damn hard and is another fury builder which is nice.
    Good idea for now. Hopefully though it won't be needed to maximize dps when berserker reaches its final form


    Lithmygoober@deepwood
    Lithmygoo@deepwood

  12. #12
    RIFT Guide Writer Orangu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,119

    Default

    updated and added top dps build.


    Lithmygoober@deepwood
    Lithmygoo@deepwood

  13. #13
    Plane Touched arbaal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    229

    Default Berserker parses

    Would you all mind sharing a SS of 8 target parse damage in dummy foundry with T3 gear, self buff, no consumes/no pa?

    Also could you post one for your ST?

  14. #14
    RIFT Guide Writer Orangu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arbaal View Post
    Would you all mind sharing a SS of 8 target parse damage in dummy foundry with T3 gear, self buff, no consumes/no pa?

    Also could you post one for your ST?
    I'll try and get this for you tonight, I'm currently unable to but check tomorrow and it will be here.


    Lithmygoober@deepwood
    Lithmygoo@deepwood

  15. #15
    RIFT Guide Writer Waseem2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    911

    Default

    For your single target macro, move underworld shards below Icefall. Reason for this is because corpsefall and icefall trigger the CD reduction before the attack is executed and if you are spamming the macro hard, often you will find yourself doing Underworld > Corpsefall > Underworld > Icefall. Where that Icefall will go off in fury if any of that makes sense.

    Of course once this is fixed, the current macro will work fine.
    Rompalstomp - Raid Lead / Warrior Lead "Nefarious"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts