+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The Harbinger Tank

Rift Disciple

Default The Harbinger Tank

Greetings,

This is my first guide and i will try to simplify it as much as possible.

The spec can be called Harbiter or simply Hank, whatever you like, and it is the mage alternative to all those hybrid tanks other classes are offering. It is the standard Harb/Chloro/Arbiter soul reworked for having Arcane Ward (which makes you tanky). It makes incredible dps due to 61 points spent in Harb tree (which recently been buffed). I've been playing it recently, making 1mln+ dps on Tarjulia TDnm as an off-tank with Arcane Ward constantly on.
    The play style is similar to Harbinger, so no further explanations.

Soultree:
    https://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#...laGy/Fm10|Tc_w
    Legendaries:
    Galvanic Strike
    Bloom
    Empyrean Ascension
    Vengeful Shock
    Reaper's Blade

Spam Macro:
    #show Vorpal Slash
    suppressmacrofailures
    stopcasting
    cast [notactive] Charged Blade
    cast Vorpal Slash
    cast Storm's Fury
    cast Rending Slash
    cast Glacial Spike
    cast @self Arcane Manipulation
    cast Legendary Vengeful Shock
    cast Conditioned Response
    cast Introspection

Spellbar example:
    Spells i have on cast bar:
    1st bar: 1/ Avalanche 2/ Galvanic Strike 3/ Spam macro 4/ Interrupt (Distracting Slash) 5/ Lucent Slash macro 6/ Tempest Winds 7/ Empyrean Ascension 8/ Vile Spores 9/ Bloom 10/ Blazing Light
    Edit: You must put Piercing Beam alongside your most used spells or combine it in macro with Galvanic Strike, press it 2 times for full damage increase.

2nd bar is for utility spells like Phantom Blades, Blade Marc, Essence of Wind, Break Free, Rift Tomb, etc...

3rd bar for buffs

Numbers with my current gear:
    (Only with Natural Awareness triggered cos you will have it at all time, no Gedlo Pot, no SP stone, no Vial, no Sigils...)
    * Guard - 10.98%
    * Block - 60%
    * Dodge - 10% + 10% from Blazing Light makes it 20%
    * Intelligence - 60709
    * Spell Power - 86491
    * Crit Power - 8025 (35.30%)
    * Armor - 78.94%
    * Resists - 77%+
    * HP - depends on gear, but around 470-500k is good
    Numbers are with full DPS gear, Gaze of Omnox trinket, DPS crystal, DPS focus. I swap tanking trinket, crystal and focus only in 61 arbiter.

Proper gear is probably Vostigar or Vindicator, but Hero and Preserver are also good choices. I'm using full Vostigar since i often switch from tank to dps, and they require less cells for upgrade. Vindicator rings and event earrings. Currently working on a new focus, especially for this spec, to replace bis dps lessers with 665 endurance 491 cp ones (a lil CP and SP sacrifice for extra endurance).

+ Pros:
    * Incredible ST and AE DPS while still maintaining toughness
    * If you struggle doing solo content Arcane Ward will make you a way more tougher and ease your life (of course at the cost of 20% dmg, but the output is still awesome), but you can just turn off AW when it is not needed
    * Easy switch from DPS to Tank (if your tank dies in RR for example)

- Cons:
    * Poor selfheal, you need a healer in most cases. Only 2 self-healing spells
    * You are not a full tank, so don't get overconfident and stomp raids without a decent healer behind you
    * Low defensive utilities, because of the high offensive potential
    * For EoA and BoS Azranel fight you need to tweak your soul a bit

EoA second boss alternative:
    You will need a purge, if your group dps is low.
    https://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#...laGy/fhx0|Tc_w
    Legendaries:
    Galvanic Strike
    Plague Bolt
    Reaper's Blade
    Empyrean Ascension
    Vengeful Shock

BoS Azranel boss alternative:
    Still haven't got the chance to try it, since i usually go with pug groups.
    https://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#...BllaGy/Fs|Tc_w
    Legendaries:
    Galvanic Strike or Biting Winds
    Radiant Spores
    Reaper's Blade
    Empyrean Ascension
    Vengeful Shock

Hint: Harbinger souls require a lot of TAB button pressing, and the Harb Tank requires it even more, to taunt multiple targets.
    It is really fun soul for me, with way more tools than shaman, hope you will enjoy it too.

Edits of the post will be underlined.
    Last edited by moodkiller; 03-27-2020 at 10:18 AM.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by moodkiller View Post
    Spam Macro:
    #show Vorpal Slash
    suppressmacrofailures
    stopcasting
    cast [notactive] Charged Blade
    cast Piercing Beam
    cast Vorpal Slash
    cast Storm's Fury
    cast Rending Slash
    cast Glacial Spike
    cast @self Arcane Manipulation
    cast Legendary Vengeful Shock
    cast Conditioned Response
    cast Introspection
    I suppose this is a typo that you have Piercing Beam in the spam macro?

Have you ever tried 58 Ele/10 Chloro/ 8 Arbiter with a fire pet? The spec does 600k+ dps with the Arcane Ward and Lifegiving Veil buff and produces enough hps to heal a raid on its own. The big advantage of Legendary Elemental Forces is that the damage is not reduced from Arcane Ward or Lifegiving Veil. Therefore 58 Ele/13 Arbiter/5 Warlock should theoretically be the mage tank/hybrid spec with the most damage or 58 Ele /18 Arbiter/0 Warlock if you want a spec that is more defensive.
    Last edited by Bamul; 03-27-2020 at 04:59 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Bamul View Post
    I suppose this is a typo that you have Piercing Beam in the spam macro?
    Read Natural Awareness tooltip again and you will know why i've put Piercing Beam there. You need to trigger the 25% intelligence boost by casting Life or Death Spell. No point using it as separate skill, when it can be put into macro.

Have you ever tried 58 Ele/10 Chloro/ 8 Arbiter with a fire pet? The spec does 600k+ dps with the Arcane Ward and Lifegiving Veil buff and produces enough hps to heal a raid on its own. The big advantage of Legendary Elemental Forces is that the damage is not reduced from Arcane Ward or Lifegiving Veil. Therefore 58 Ele/13 Arbiter/5 Warlock should theoretically be the mage tank/hybrid spec with the most damage or 58 Ele /18 Arbiter/0 Warlock if you want a spec that is more defensive.
    This is a totally different play style than what i've mentioned above. It is a standard DPS spec, going into tank when needed, while doing 1mln+. Also i dislike Ele, so i play it only 2nd and 3rd bosses in BoS when needed.

Read Natural Awareness tooltip again and you will know why i've put Piercing Beam there. You need to trigger the 25% intelligence boost by casting Life or Death Spell. No point using it as separate skill, when it can be put into macro.
    https://rift.magelo.com/en/ability/-70335865

Hierosolyma | Katane | Azuren | Jeru | Syenn | Shas | Shaslol | Shastroll

Plane Touched

Look at what abilities are available and maybe it'll help wondering why Bamu said this.
    Piercing beam every 30 sec refresh it
    Vorpal slash every 8sec refresh it
    Bloom refresh it
    Lucent slash every 12-13sec refresh it
    And don't forget Vile spore proc that'll refresh it too

Also you'll loose some dps by spaming an ability that deal really low damage instead of something else.
    But i guess it's the state of the game now "everything that can go in macro go in even if it's bad".

Outside of this nice guide.
    Last edited by Hokhmah; 03-27-2020 at 08:21 AM.
    Hokhmah@Brutwacht , Zyggiha@Brutwacht, Ahiggyz@Brutwacht
    Pseudo support, Prima raiding specs
    Discord : Zyggiha#2277 , I can help for everything related to primalist , feel free to ask.

Rift Disciple

Aww, yeah...
    I didn't noticed that when i was checking the macro spells.

I will edit the macro.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokhmah View Post
    Look at what abilities are available and maybe it'll help wondering why Bamu said this.
    Glad i shared this build then, since i've put PB into the macro exactly when i reworked the Harb/Archon/Chloro build from his 4.5 mage spreadsheet. And till then i used PB outside the macro.
    4 eyes see better than 2 eyes...
    Last edited by moodkiller; 03-27-2020 at 10:44 AM.

Prophet of Telara

Hokhmah summarized it well, so I assumed it was just a typo or copy past error.
    Almost any spec can be converted into a hybrid tank with Arcane Ward. The most creative idea so far was a necro solo tank with pet for Azranel.

Rift Disciple

Hokhmah summarized it well, so I assumed it was just a typo or copy past error.
    Almost any spec can be converted into a hybrid tank with Arcane Ward. The most creative idea so far was a necro solo tank with pet for Azranel.
    Not a typo, i intentionally put it there, out of lazyness and wrong spell tooltip reading skills. Since i don't use kalert, kbm or any addon apart from RiftMeter. It is too much things to watch out as a tank. But for maximizing dps it isn't the best choice.
    Well, it depends what do you prefer as a play style imo. Some people love Ele, and i don't - if i can i will never play it. For me its a turret soul.

About the video - LOL, i love Pablo the Tank. This soul is creative.
    Dunno about the Necro dps, since if it is lower than 1mln you need a good dps to compensate having 2x hybrid tanks with 1mln dps. And requires really good pet management or macros setup. But for the 15% damage reduction probably is a good choice.

Prophet of Telara

you need a good dps to compensate having 2x hybrid tanks with 1mln dps.
    Much more effective than +1m dps tanks are hybrid tanks that tank, heal and support at the same time (Oracle/Bard and Mystic). Because the mage can only fill 2 roles (tank/heal, tank/dps or tank/support) he is not as effective as the other hybrid tanks. The 58 Ele/Chloro/Arbiter (tank/heal/semi dps) is probably the only competitive tank hybrid spec that mage has. Of course this is only from the point of view of an optimal group composition for the best possible times. Any kind of mage hybrid tank is better than wasting a raid spot for a 61 tank.

The mage shines with bosses where you need a full 61 tank and many adds are available.

Wink

Always depends on what you want to do.

Are you trying to solve a problem like clearing with horrible dps or just having fun with fresh alternatives - such as the Necro tank.

When having solid heals, the Harbiger Tank can solotank btw. Tank normaly and Storm Shroud to reset threat. Let the top dps take some hits and take it again when stacks reset.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    When having solid heals, the Harbiger Tank can solotank btw. Tank normaly and Storm Shroud to reset threat. Let the top dps take some hits and take it again when stacks reset.
    In the specific case of Azranel, I would rate the Mage Hybrid Tank Specs for efficiency (total raid DPS) in the following order.
    1. 58 Ele/10 Chloro/8 Arbiter (needs good agromanagment from both tanks to remove stacks)
    2. 61 Chloro/12 Arbiter/3 Frostkeeper or any other off soul according to the situation or 42-54 Chloro/Arbiter/x Hybrid
    3. 61 Archon/15 Arbiter/0 Warlock or any other off soul according to the situation
    4. 61 Harbinger /11 Arbiter/4 Elementalist as a solo tank that resets the stacks with storm shroud
    5. 58 Ele/13 Arbiter/5 Warlock

The solo NecroTank is unfortunately not very efficient and is in last place.

According to my database, the ChloroTank is the most frequently played mage hybrid tank spec and certainly the best choice for most random groups due to the additional battle rez.

Rift Disciple

All depends on the group really.

About the Chloro-tank, no wonder why people like it as i'm watching the build. I would only change those 3 points in Arbiter's Training skill for extra HP, since you don't have many air and water abilities and other damage boosters. At least aim for having good HP pool and decent heals plus combat ress. Also wondering about the Frost tree if the SP choice is better ot increased absorbs and heals. Will want that 8s interrupt too, really handy.
    I so wanna try that build, too bad i suck at healing, since i never healed in Rift.

Bamu, did you recently put the 61 harb / 8 Arbiter / 7 Chloro into the spreadsheet or it was there long before i write this guide? I just saw you have it there and felt like i wasted time typing all that.
    Last edited by moodkiller; 03-30-2020 at 04:53 AM.

Feel free to try this one if you want:

https://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#.../Wk1iGwGE|TKXM

It's designed to soloheal/ tank every current encounter (chanter for isiel but soloheal + tank everything else)

Intendet use: Hard Carry runs which need more people on dps to finish. Challange yourself.

aoe heal crystal, Berzerker Triket. intercept, st+aoe cleanse, rezz, hp is even/higher than your average 61 Arbiter.

At least soloheal+ Tank T1 tho.

Arcane Projection for Threat.
    Eternal + Living Storm as healing backbone.
    Thunder Shock + Ruin+ Soothing Waters Spam as fallback button.
    Bloom and Wild Growth as aoe heal cd.

Priorities:

Threat with Arcane Projection
    Living Storm uptime with eternal bonus
    Radiant Spores with Ruin
    Withering Vine
    Never stop using Soothing Waters.

Keep in mind that Arbiter Defensive cd's unlock in the last 13 -3 points.

Mending Response, Natural Conversion and Biting wind for itrop hiding (Living Storm will heal through the hiding phase)

Let me know how it played for you ;D

Prophet of Telara

Also wondering about the Frost tree if the SP choice is better ot increased absorbs and heals.
    My builds are optimized for damage. Spellpower is always better than % modifications that increase your damage or healing even for someone who actually wants to heal.

I so wanna try that build, too bad i suck at healing, since i never healed in Rift.
    ChloroTankHybrid as healer is very simple and consists mainly of Vile Spore spamming which is already enough to keep the group alive everything else is bonus

RIFT Patch - February 6, 2019
    Raids: In preparation for future content releases, and to encourage more hybridization amongst tanks in raids, we have removed Legendary Hits from bosses in Bastion of Steel, Tartaric Depths and Intrepid Rise of the Phoenix.
    I suggested the Harbinger tank variants and several others shortly after the patch with removed Legendary Hits was released. I think the 61 Harbinger /11 Arbiter/4 Elementalist is the best 61 Harbinger tank variant with the highest DPS because Legendary Elemental Forces bypasses Arcane Ward's damage reduction. Legendary Elemental Forces should easily do more damage with activated Arcane Ward Buff than Legendary Bloom even if you can't always use Charged Blade.

Subjekt wrote some nice articles about Elemental Forces with 61 Harbinger.
    Improved Harbinger Specs
    [4.5] Harbinger with elemental forces
    72 Test Dummy in the Golem Foundry:

Rift Disciple

RIFT Patch - February 6, 2019

Subjekt wrote some nice articles about Elemental Forces with 61 Harbinger.
    Improved Harbinger Specs
    [4.5] Harbinger with elemental forces
    72 Test Dummy in the Golem Foundry:
    Well, i left the game shortly after Gamigo took over and came back dec 2019, excuse my absence. Spent a night shift at work (before the quarantine) to think about hybrid tank builds, browsing Magelo skills tree on the phone, when i could simply copy paste them...
    Seeing only 58 ele mages in game made me think i'm the only one testing Harb-tank variants, thus why i decided to write a guide, which was pointless. Well not so much, it was educational for me at least!

Now i need to test a lot of builds, and there is so little time for that.
    p.s. I ****ing thought i need Ebb and Flow for BoS, meanwhile doing Tarjulia in Harb hybrid, not realizing there is something wrong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast