+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 58 Archon Guide by Kaly

Default 58 Archon Guide by Kaly

58 Archon Guide by Kaly

Archon is a support soul which is very important in raids. It boosts the damage of its allies while still bringing a lot of DPS. This is the highest DPS ranged version, if melee is an option, HarbChon will be the better choice. I’ll most likely only cover the basics, since this is my first guide.

Pros:
    - Top ranged DPS Archon build

Cons:
    - DPS relies on proc RNG from Bulwark
    - No AOE ability
    - Weak Mobility
    - Slow Ramp Up Time

The spec:

58 Archon / 13 Pyro / 5 Stormcaller

Buffs:

Archon’s Bulwark
    Vitality of Stone (aura)*
    Arcane Aegis (aura)*
    Shared Vigor (aura)*
    Burning Purpose (aura)*

*These only last 5 minutes and will fall off if you die. You will passively refresh them during a fight so just make sure they are active before a pull.

RAID BUFF ABILITIES:

You have four main abilities that apply buffs to your allies.

Volcanic Bomb (increases raid damage by 5% for 30s) does Earth+Fire dmg
    Earthen Barrage (increases raid crit by 5% for 30s) does Earth dmg
    Spark Shower (increases raid run speed by 15% for 30s) does Fire dmg
    Surging Flare (reduces cast time by 3% on your raid members for 6s) does Fire dmg

That’s the priority I use (in order of damage and importance of buffs). It is very important to never let the buffs applied by Volcanic Bomb and Earthen Barrage fall off (each lasts 30s).

Core Concepts:

Lava Field and Flaring Power

Lava Field is a 1 minute ground target ability, which increases raid DPS by 15% for 10 seconds. You want to line this up with Chloro’s Wild Growth or PhysTact’s Power Core and if you have a Beastmaster, line up with Enrage. After your opener, you will usually want to use this right as it comes off of cooldown.

Flaring Power is the strongest support ability. Increases AP/SP by 15% for everyone in the raid for 30 seconds. You want to line this up with Lava Field. You get a 5 minute debuff which prevents getting this AP/SP buff again (called Battle Weary), so only use it every 5 minutes, not every two minutes.

Crumbling Resistance and Ashen Defense

Those are your 5 minutes non-physical and physical debuffs. Unless you have a beastmaster (warrior support) in your raid, you are in charge of applying those on the main target. (Beastmaster's Twin Cuts overwrites both of these abilities.)

I suggest you read Sedvick’s Guide about Buff/Debuff Stacking. It is very important for supports to understand how their buffs/debuffs affects the rest of the raid.

When you have many targets together, you let the bard or oracle do these debuffs.

Crumbling resistance applies a damage buff to you, so, regardless of whether it will be overridden, make sure to apply/refresh every 5 minutes.

Lingering Dust

Most bosses are immune to this debuff, but like Crumbling resistance, it applies a buff on you that reduces your cast time by 10%, which is vital to this build since it allows fireball to be a 1.5 seconds cast time (fitting the GCD). Make sure to refresh every 5 minutes.

Archon’s Bulwark gives your damaging skills a 30% chance to make your next 2 raid buff damaging abilities instant and deal 100% more damage. In addition, primary bolts buff your next 3 damaging abilities of the same type of element by 50%.
    Archon abilities are fire and earth damage, so we will use Fireball to boost the stronger fire spells and Granite Salvo to boost the stronger earth spells.

Make sure to have the damage buff applied by fireball/granite salvo active before using the proc from Bulwark. Unless the buff from Volcanic Bomb/Earthen Barrage has fallen off, then use those abilities ASAP.

Internalize Charge (IC) is your primary charge consumer. IC consumes 50 charge and increases the damage of your next 6 damaging abilities by 16%. Each ability consumes a stack. Make sure to always have this active before using any ability.

This is a more effective use of charge than Power Drain, because:

1. It takes 10 charge just to activate it

2. IC is 16% increase with ~100% uptime, when Power Drain is more close to 40-50% uptime on 10% increase

Patron’s Rage is a long STATIONARY channel that will refresh your auras and is more DPS than spamming fireball.

Rotation:

Pre-Pull you want to cast all your 4 auras and maintain 6 stacks of IC.

If you don’t have a BM:
    Crumbling Resistance>Ashen Defense>Lava(Flaring)>Volcanic Bomb>Lingering Dust>Earthen Barrage>Ethereal Blast>Fireball>Granite Salvo>Priorities*

If you have a BM:
    Crumbling Resistance>Ashen Defense>Lava(Flaring)>Lingering Dust>Earthen Barrage>Ethereal Blast>Fireball>Granite Salvo>Priorities*

Regardless if you have a BM or not, you want to apply both Crumbling and Ashen at start since it's a huge DPS loss for them to apply right away (they only apply 8-9 seconds into the fight). After the initial application, you allow them to take care of those debuffs.

Openings may vary depending on the fight.

Priorities*

After the starting rotation, your priority for abilities follow:

Anything to do with buffing and debuffing. Like refreshing or recasting auras (if you die, they fall off). Debuffing the main targets with Crumbling or Ashen.
    V
    Lava and Flaring as they line up with other CDs.
    V
    Internalize Charge (if not active)
    V
    Ethereal Blast
    V
    Fireball/Granite Salvo (if their respective buffs from Archon's Bulwark have fallen off)
    V
    Archon’s Bulwarks Instant Procs (using your raid buff abilities)
    V
    Patron’s Rage
    V
    Countdown
    V
    Fireball
    V
    Flamebolt (only used if mobile)
    v
    Thundershock (only used if mobile)
    V
    Searing Vitality (only used if looking away)

Abilities
    you want on your bar:

Fireball
    Granite Salvo
    Internalize Charge
    Patron's Rage
    Countdown
    Crumbling Resistance
    Ashen Defense
    Lingering Dust
    Flame Bolt
    Thundershock
    Flaring Power
    Lava Field

All your 4 auras (Vitality of Stone, Arcane Aegis, Shared Vigor and Burning Purpose) in case you need to recast manually

Other Points:

One thing about support roles: BE COMMUNICATIVE WITH OTHER SUPPORTERS!

Before the pull, try to make everyone clear on the order of support CDs, who’s doing what, debuffing what, if you have to delay anything and such. Nobody likes Lava of the Planes or Power Growth. Not to mention people overwriting your debuffs.

Even though Archons have Illuminate, you let the bard or oracle apply their version of it, which lasts twice as long.

Cleansing Flames

This is a ground target ability which cleanses up to 10 people in the area. Very useful on fights you have a spiky need of cleanses (Arisen Arak and Harbinger of Ruin for example). It also purges 1 buff from up to 10 targets in the area, due to the trait Purging Flames.

Mental Flare

You can use this skill to restore 30% of someone's mana over 10 seconds on a 2minute CD. It's good for those purifiers working hard on your squishy tanks, not having time to regen their mana.

Macros:

Raid Buff Abilities Spam

#show Ethereal Blast
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast ethereal blast
    cast volcanic bomb
    cast earthen barrage
    cast spark shower
    cast surging flare

Macro to Drop Lava on You

#show lava field
    suppressmacrofailures
    target @self
    ra Lava Field Macro Text
    cast @gtae lava field
    targetlasttarget

Macro to Drop Lava on Boss

#show lava field
    suppressmacrofailures
    ra Lava Field Macro Text
    cast @gtae lava field

Macro for Flaring Power

#show flaring power
    suppressmacrofailures
    ra Flaring Power Macro Text
    cast flaring power

Macro for Cleansing Flames

#show cleansing flames
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @gtae cleansing flames

Addons

Kalerts is pretty bad for tracking 58 Archon, because all the Bulwark procs have the same name.

I use Gagdets Buff/Debuffs and it works pretty well. I won't go into many details about addons.

I'd like to thank my fellows Secondbass and Darkdaemon for the help with this guide.

Feel free to message me in game, Kalygos@Laethys, or PM in the forums for sugestions or comments about what you think, how you like 58 Archon. Have fun, folks!
    Last edited by Pokkah; 06-20-2016 at 05:34 AM.
    Kalygos - Kallyh
    Virus@Deepwood
    "Most cleaved rogue WW - Thanks, Wayyne"

How much difference would it be to change the 5 points in SC to Harb? The only obvious downside I can see is losing out on thunder shock which would hurt a lot when hit with mobility of any sort, but other than that if it were a stand still glass cannon with 5 points in Harb with lightning blade would it make a visible difference?

Lightning Blade/Charge DPS is so low so low, that is nearly insignificant.

If you get to use thundershock (due to movement) once or twice in a whole fight, it will already outdps Lightning Blade/Charge. Also didn't want to gate the build in a paid soul.

But it can be a personal preference. If you like the lil bit of damage + you don't ever need to move + you like the Lightning Blade sword skin, you can change around, no game breaker
    Kalygos - Kallyh
    Virus@Deepwood

I see, thanks for explaining the reason behind that. It does make sense. By the way, do you have any parse for this spec, I am getting ~81k over a 5 mins+ Dummy parse with nothing by buffs from the soul in full t3 with trink except for neck and weapon.

Thanks for great guide too.

58 chon parse

This was on a Raid Dummy LVL 67 weeks ago. I didn't use Flaring nor Lava. I applied Crumbling and Lingering on the dummy and then I reset so the dummy loses the debuffs but you keep the self-buffs.

I was almost full t3, no trinket, t2 wand and t3 relic staff.

Ps: yes I am currently on harbchon, but the parse is 58 chon :P
    Kalygos - Kallyh
    Virus@Deepwood

Any reason not to macro Internalize Charge in to a spam macro?
    Edit: Ah, found a reason. Flaring Power.

Waning Power and Pillaging Stone not worth it?
    Last edited by forbiddenlake; 05-19-2016 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    Any reason not to macro Internalize Charge in to a spam macro?
    You'll run out of charge.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDaemon View Post
    You'll run out of charge.
    Yes, but why would that be bad? I found the answer: not being able to cast Flaring Power

Yes, but why would that be bad? I found the answer: not being able to cast Flaring Power
    Yes
    /10char

Waning Power and Pillaging Stone not worth it?
    Pillaging Stone is not worth it, because:

1. It doesn't apply the buff to you unless you don't have Archon's Bulwark up. You have to cancel the armor, apply 5 stacks and reapply the Bulwark. You lost 8-10 seconds easily there.

2. The buff is worth less than 100 SP.

Waning: 10% SP for 13.5 secs (1.5sec to activate) is not enough, because you have to suffix, let's say, the damage of a Fireball cast, during the 9 GCDS you have buffed by Wanning. Not to mention you aren't doing damage during that 1.5sec, which means, you lose 1.5secs on lava field and a chance to proc Bulwark instant proc.

You can't even line up lava and waning, because for starting rotation, you should not use waning, and since lava is 90% of the time used on CD you'd only have waning available 2-4 seconds into lava.

#makeWaningOGCD
    Kalygos - Kallyh
    Virus@Deepwood

The interesting question: How does the spec perform in real raids?

In my first try ever, I did 105k on Fauxmirre, with a lot of derping (ofc after the BM debuffs fix)

I believe 58 chon is somewhere <10% behind harbchon.

It is ahead of Pyrochon and Stormchon by a lot.
    Last edited by Pokkah; 05-20-2016 at 04:12 AM.
    Kalygos - Kallyh
    Virus@Deepwood

Apparently there is some buggy interaction between Maelstrom and cast time reductions 58 archon provides, so you don't wanna run this build when u have primalists, because it breaks the abilities of Maelstrom in a bad way. This break skillstrom for some reason too.
    Kalygos - Kallyh
    Virus@Deepwood

Quote Originally Posted by Pokkah View Post
    Apparently there is some buggy interaction between Maelstrom and cast time reductions 58 archon provides, so you don't wanna run this build when u have primalists, because it breaks the abilities of Maelstrom in a bad way. This break skillstrom for some reason too.
    It breaks font of sublimation

58chon on Fionn

"Old" pyrochon

Ofc it's kind of irony but I don't like 58' behaviour on dynamic encounters as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast