+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Quick Harbinger Guide

Default Quick Harbinger Guide

This is a guide for the new Harbinger.
    It will teach you to play Harbinger correctly and very easily.
    Though warning mistakes could be present.

Best Spec:
    61 Harbinger, 13 Stormcaller, 2 Elementalist

Alternative Spec:
    61 Harbinger, 9 Chloromancer, 6 Elementalist - Solo

Masteries:
    Level 61 - Arcanist's Shield
    Level 62 - Rejuvenating Presence
    Level 63 - Mental Cynosure
    Level 64 - Sparking Destruction
    Level 65 - Arcane Manipulation

Buffs:
    Eldritch Armor

There are two different Weapon buffs and only one can be active.
    Reaper's Blade is to be used when engaging one or two enemies.
    Luminous Weapon is to be used when engaging multiple enemies.

Please note that Lifegiving Veil shouldn’t be used if you have a Chloromancer in the raid.

Standard Rotation:
    At the start of the fight use Phase Step or Phantom Blades.
    Phase Step will teleport you to the enemy when you hit them with a single target ability.
    Phantom Blades will enable to use your single target melee abilities from a range 30 meters.

Keep Blazing Light, Piercing Beam and Vorpal Slash active on the target.
    Refresh Blazing Light duration by using Lucent Slash at 2-1s.

You'll want to have Piercing Beam active on the enemy before using any Slash attack as it will increase their damage when they hit the enemy.

Keep Tempest Winds on cooldown.

You will want to have Charged Blade active as much as possible. However with Charged Blade active Slash attacks can not award Charge.
    So you build Charge by consuming Eldritch Gift which is proc’d by using Slash attacks.

Once Eldritch Gift procs use a cast time ability, which are from non-Harbinger souls.
    Eldritch Gift reduces the cast time by 2.5 seconds, and reduces its global cooldown to 0.5s. So you'll will want to consume Eldritch Gift as soon as it procs.

You should be using Hailstorm when the enemy isn't moving around and Icicle for when your enemy is always on the move.

Maintain 3 stacks of Conductive Medium which increases your damage by 2% per stack.
    You do this by using Charge consuming abilities such as Icicle or Hailstorm which will have to be used during a Eldritch Gift proc. Also toggling Charged Blade off/on will work.

You will want to use the Vorpal Slash macro provided to deal single target damage.
    While using the Hailstorm macro or Icicle macro to consume Eldritch Gift procs.

For two enemies keep doing your standard rotation on one of them and apply Blademark to the other.
    If the second enemy is right next to the one you're damaging then during Eldritch Gift procs use Hailstorm instead of Icicle.

For aoe damage apply Blazing Light and use the Lucent Slash macro provided.
    While using the Forked Lightning macro to consume Eldritch Gift procs.

You can use Storm Shroud to force a three guaranteed crits on you next 3 abilities.
    For Tempest Winds it will crit on the first tick of the channel and again after you complete the channel while only consuming one stack of the crit.

If you are solo you have to use the Earth Elemental from Elementalist to keep the enemy in combat, because if your are solo and use Storm Shroud you would drop threat, lose all debuffs and return the enemy will return to max health.

Keep Empyrean Ascension on cooldown, use with raid cooldowns if possible.

Starting Block:
    Without Raid Cooldowns
    Phase Step/Phantom Blades > Blazing Light > Piercing Beam > Rending Slash
    Storm Shroud > Empyrean Ascension (Eldritch Gift) > Storm's Fury (Eldritch Gift)
    Vorpal Slash (Eldritch Gift) > Tempest Winds (Eldritch Gift)

With Raid Cooldowns
    Phase Step/Phantom Blades > Blazing Light > Piercing Beam > Rending Slash x3
    Storm's Fury (Eldritch Gift) > Vorpal Slash (Eldritch Gift)
    Storm Shroud > Empyrean Ascension (Eldritch Gift) > Tempest Winds (Eldritch Gift)

General Macros:
    #show Vorpal Slash
    suppressmacrofailures
    stopcasting
    cast Storm's Fury
    cast Vorpal Slash
    cast Rending Slash
    cast Thunder Shock
    cast @self Arcane Manipulation
    cast Vengeful Shock
    cast Conditioned Response
    cast Introspection

#show Tempest Winds
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast [notactive] Charged Blade
    cast Tempest Winds

#show Icicle
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Icicle
    cast Lightning Strike
    cast Crystalline Missiles

#show Hailstorm
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @gtae Hailstorm
    cast Lightning Strike
    cast Crystalline Missiles

#show Lucent Slash
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Lucent Slash
    cast Vengeful Shock
    cast Introspection

#show Forked Lightning
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @gtae Hailstorm
    cast Forked Lightning

#show Blademark
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @focus Blademark

#show Empyrean Ascension
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Storm Shroud
    cast Empyrean Ascension

Karuulalert:
    Code:
    KA::A0HTZeNqllN2OmzAQhV+FJ0iNTfgRVzbYVaXdJspS7U0k5IAbrBKIjJM22/bdawi7CgqlLZW
    DRGB0Ml/OnFlLoTJZ7S0i+CG0wyQ8lvwi1EJztRe6e8LMtR7UYRZDihh1PZ94EBASAlPJzAHmbOR
    nHcZc83fbTx+2fCdLqS+pzOqq2RZc7YyMUOmxV0x3RnGR503o2U7om8sF7cdewKURDSP6MaGb9g5
    0BwHTTvL6uPvmmh+GIftBSv7S9vgg94WegBnWYYa9GJIldmwnsgPPmwGzuyqmZavYwbhO8H8w9HC
    8KMErCzeZqBpZVzdEbygjVcYcx2EYLREhGETIn8EjetmUv8qmovcIhZ5B+x2WPYUFDFZUV/kp0/I
    srEeRy9NhjOq+CNtBDFAQYJcgZ8ncaAJKi2/6pMR2X9Y7Xm6NdiaKuswNV8vZcfgOCL0lGHJ8bzT
    PvjQ/w2S1vkVqT49EVkmyeuxfwgFY0Q5ZbpnhysUo1KAAMwao7fouQjCGtm3PcCm7KrbTl4u3qbv
    Dwt0/eWdS1z0bNelBntt8POlaTS2FQRlGGAEPA+QyAB0w6dAQSFRC7S9pfRaqrHludyQBcO5J/nb
    Q2vx0XVlPhapP+Zgdg/eYUeA5BAY+YkEQBWyGG00rmDadYPpyTYtZJtMQN6M1ZgQtcyV1Vljv2xb
    G8j8oMNGnUezExPcjgBiO50S/V0y5OtSqDwuc3GV/DH1i9olotPUsKyN3gwE7DAMyKDAbmVISYBJ
    jGlEvQjMw9FUx/WoUU9674d9jbATPL/+QjV9oBjPT
    Last edited by Burninalways; 10-19-2016 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Hailstorm macro errors 15 months old
    True Server First Prime GP: Anrak the Foul & Guurloth
    4/5 GSB
    4/4 GP
    4/4 DH

Placeholder
    True Server First Prime GP: Anrak the Foul & Guurloth
    4/5 GSB
    4/4 GP
    4/4 DH

Hailstorm version is clearly charge starved. How charge starved is it using only Icicle?

Is the elementalist version less charge starved? Are you parsing higher than your pyro?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Maril View Post
    Hailstorm version is clearly charge starved. How charge starved is it using only Icicle?

Is the elementalist version less charge starved? Are you parsing higher than your pyro?
    It's a dps boost to use Vile Spores since there's a DOT applied to it as well, and it doesn't drain charge. You absolutely want Hailstorm up at all times, it helps keep your stacks of electrified up on yourself and is a DPS boost either way.

Prophet of Telara

For two enemies keep doing your standard rotation on one of them and apply Blademark to the other.
    If the second enemy is right next to the one you're damaging then during Eldritch Gift procs use Hailstorm instead of Icicle.
    Did I understand correctly with only one enemie i use the icicle instead hailstorm?
    I always thought hailstorm would more DPS than Icicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamul View Post
    Did I understand correctly with only one enemie i use the icicle instead hailstorm?
    I always thought hailstorm would more DPS than Icicle.
    Hailstorm is better ST provided the opponent doesn't move out of it ^^

This should instead be prefaced with "This is how not to play Harbinger" I'll teach ya for a rex then you can fix your guide if you'd like

Or you can just delete and leave Kerghan's up, although 61 Harb is better you should explain why, where, when and how other than offering as an "alternative" otherwise it's just rehashed Kerghan's.
    Last edited by Aylen; 07-16-2015 at 04:06 PM.

Rift Disciple

Think for a second before criticising, its a quick guide very clear and concise like he always does.

There's not many people left who care to write guides and certainly no one like Burningalways who has contributed immensely to the community with dozens of guides for multiple classes, which are perfect when you have several chars from different classes and want to play all of their specs.

Hmm, you're right, idk what the Mage community would've done without his pyro videos showing how to play it wrong

Pro Tips:

Rename the 54 to Kerghan's Spec cuz he deserves credit for his own spec

61 Harb is and should be primary as it is the non-hybrid at 61 points and does indeed parse a bit higher but with no additional bonuses like 54 has

54 should be pointed out to be best when you need/want additional healing and using LGV is necessary to really take advantage of this, see the Fires of Heaven kill vid to see what I mean

61 Harb has a slightly different rotation because it has EA which should be used after Rending Slash x3 and as close to being lined up with Lava / Flaring / Enrage / etc.. which all should come together in the first few seconds of the encounter

STOP TELLING PEOPLE TO USE THEIR GAP CLOSER / DISCONNECT ON PULL - Seriously, this is beyond silly. Why? It's unnecessary and a waste and if you actually need them, which is unlikely, you're stuck. Also if you are successful with a strong opener and start it from the second the pull happens you may risk pulling aggro from some tanks, which can be funny but not helpful.

Opener for the fight should be Lucent Slash until proc then hailstorm with proc on pull then as you run in you can blazing light > Withering Vine (if 54) > Piercing Beam > Rending Slash x3 > Empyrean Ascension(if 61) > Tempest Winds and using Eld proc when it comes up

Finally - if you switch to Luminous Weapon to do AOE/Cleaving on adds during a boss fight be SURE to switch BACK to Reaper's Blade just before they die so you can get the buff which if done right and done with 3+ adds it is stronger than EA buff for just as long, HUGE DPS gain here.

Shadowlander

Just looking for a good bench mark I parsed 57.7k over 5mins

Stats: 1125 hit
    7114 int
    16327 SP
    6486 SC
    1816 CP

Tried posting screenshot but it just kept coming up black screen I'll trying and figure it out

Plane Touched

I'm new to Rift and was wondering if someone could critique my spec helping me understand why it's not viable. While leveling, I feel OP, and I can solo things I don't think I should be able to with all the defensive cooldowns.

Note I'm only 62, so maybe the 65 perks change this:

61 Harbringer
    8 Chloro
    7 Elementalist
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#h8Q/SkFlaBllaGy/Fgw

Basically same starter with charge blade activated
    Procs are lightning Strike > Vial Spore

Use elemental forces at 100% charge
    Use elemental forces right before EA, as you will be back at 100%
    Last edited by Josiaha; 07-30-2015 at 04:06 PM.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Josiaha View Post
    Basically same starter with charge blade activated
    Procs are lightning Strike > Ruin

Use elemental forces at 100% charge
    Use elemental forces right before EA, as you will be back at 100%
    Your issues. Ruin isn't used with the proc. Elemental forces sucks dick.
    Last edited by evantide; 07-30-2015 at 03:59 PM.
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by evantide View Post
    Your issues. Ruin isn't used with the proc. Elemental forces sucks dick.
    Sorry spec doesn't have ruin, I meant the Vial Spore with the dot.

This has 100% charged blade uptime. Elemental force is just free dps for the spec, no reason not to use it, it's AOE is very nice.

So far I'm topping the charts for ever IA I have done for DPS.
    Last edited by Josiaha; 07-30-2015 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiaha View Post
    Sorry spec doesn't have ruin, I meant the Vial Spore with the dot.

This has 100% charged blade uptime. Elemental force is just free dps for the spec, no reason not to use it, it's AOE is very nice.

So far I'm topping the charts for ever IA I have done for DPS.
    It is not a bad spec. It just isn't quite as good as the other variants. However, for someone who is new to mage or wants something on the easier side, this is a spec which is perfectly fine to play.

With no charge management and no conductive medium, it is very simple. You will do good dmg, just not the best possible that you could.
    Kerghann@Zaviel
    #1 Ninja puller/quitter #1 Flaring Powah User
    Who even knows/9 MoM
    YouTube Channel!

Plane Touched

Thanks. I tried the other spec. But my single target DPS is lower with perfect timing. Could be gear scaling, could be lack of 63-65 masteries, and more. Also things really die to fast for hailstorm to really kick in. AOE is up, but I don't have the survivability to solo things with no downtime like I do in this spec. I guess endgame this specs chloro points would be wasted as you would always have a healer.

How is 61 harb vs 51. I really like the EA effect, and would rather stay 61 Harb if viable.
    Last edited by Josiaha; 07-30-2015 at 04:17 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast