Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Leveling as a Harbinger

Default Leveling as a Harbinger

Leveling as a Harbinger

• Created by Val
    • Edited by Burninalways
    Chlorobinger Leveling
    Transform your weapon into a Sword, Scythe or Axe while mashing your enemies to death with powerful air and life slashes while passively generating healing to keep on going.
    All you need to know about this spec is that you slash things, and slashes will proc your armour, which lets your next spell be fast casted for more damage.

Note that this is a Storm Legion soul and is one of the few things in RIFT you need to pay for to unlock. Unlock via buying Storm Legion or buying the Storm Legion souls @ in-game cash shop

Level 1-9
    Begin by filling out your Harbinger soul with spare points into Chloromancer.
    Once you reach 8 Harb, start working more on points into Chloro:
    8 Harbinger, 4 Chloromancer, 0 Elementalist

How to play: Summon your Earth elemental, buff yourself with Eldrich Armour and simply pull mobs with Blazing Light/Withering Vine then start slashing them. Use Vile Spores whenever you get an armour proc. You’ll have to stop and drink for mana, at least until later on
    Abilities to keybind:
    • Storm Slash & Storm’s Fury (macroed together, see below) main damaging slashes
    • Vile Spores to use when your armour procs to make a spell instant
    • Blazing Light and Withering Vine as your ranged DoTs (damage over time) spells. Simply use them while closing in on mobs. Blazing Light will increase your dodge chance, Withering Vine provides more healing.
    • Charged Blade charge toggle – simply leave it turned on when you have charge. Slashes consume charge while spells won’t
    • Summon Lesser Earth Elemental – This isn’t a pet spec but the 0 point Elementalist pet will be of use for you for these early levels
    • And finally your main 1 hour buffs – Eldrich Armour (This is important, make sure it’s on) and Lightning Blade (you deal extra damage with slashes)
    Main spam macro:
    #show Storm's Fury
    suppressmacrofailures
    stopcasting
    cast [notactive] Charged Blade
    cast Storm's Fury
    cast Storm Slash
    cast Blazing Light

This will just make you spam your slashes while turning on Charged Blade when you have charge. It will cast Blazing Light if you’re not in range to do a melee ability.

Level 10-19
    Add more points up until 8 Chloromancer to unlock your main healing source (Lifegiving Veil). Add 2 points to Elementalist for a strong nuke and then continue working on Harbinger:
    15 Harbinger, 8 Chloromancer, 2 Elementalist

Your play style is the same as before except you’ll now use Piercing Beam once in melee range for each new mob. We’re going to macro Lightning Strike with Vile Spores for more damage. Make sure you buff yourself with Lifegiving Veil. Your low level pet will start getting weak at this level bracket so it’s optional to summon him/her

New keybinds:
    • Piercing Beam – Debuff to increase your slashing damage to the target
    • Lifegiving Veil – 1 hour buff which makes your abilities heal you and your group for small amounts. Extra healing from life based abilities (like Vile Spores, Piercing Beam, etc)
    Change your slashing macro to:
    #show Storm's Fury
    suppressmacrofailures
    stopcasting
    cast Vorpal Slash
    cast Storm's Fury
    cast Storm Slash
    cast Blazing Light

And a new macro for Eldrich armour procs:
    #show Lightning Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Lightning Strike
    cast Vile Spores

(remember, you only press when you get an Armour proc)

Level 20-27
    Add points into Harbinger, Razor's Edge (increasing the damage of your Vorpal Slash's DoT) and Lightning Repose (damage on dodge) and Disabling Shock (stun an enemy).
    Next, get Eldritch Gift (amazing talent for your procs), Vorpal Edge and Living Charge. On the next tier, Conditioned Response
    26 Harbinger, 8 Chloromancer, 2 Elementalist

These talents will give some nice AE (area effect damage) capability and an arsenal of stuns

Abilities to keybind:
    • Lucent Slash for AE (area effect) damage
    • Blade Rush (gap closer stun) and Disabling Shock (ranged stun)
    • Conditioned Response – a weak heal.
    • Introspection – Mana will be trouble no more! Or at least, slightly less XD

Level 28-34
    We have two options from here.
    1. If you feel your survivability is fine, just keep adding to Harbinger with sub points into Elementalist crit chance and Lightning Strike bonus.
    2. If you want to up your survivability to more be more reliable on big groups of mobs (amg I ran into 10 mobs!) but don’t mind slightly less ST (single target) damage then add more into Chloromancer as shown below:
    27 Harbinger, 16 Chloromancer, 2 Elementalist

Play style remains mostly the same but you can now mass pull lots of mobs with Blazing Light, use AoE Radiant Spores, and kill them all while remaining on 100% health.

Abilities to keybind:
    • Bloom – basic but powerful spot heal. Note that it only consumes a 0.5s GCD if used with an Eldrich proc due to cast time talenting
    • Radiant Spores – Use on packs of mobs and hit them for heals!
    • Ruin – it’s more damage than a Storm Slash, but only use it directly after an Eldrich Armour proc. (basically it’s best to use it during the internal cooldown of your armor). It is also another movement spell and triggers a nice amount of healing
    • Synthesis/Lifebound Veil – you won’t have use for these in this spec, unless you’re support healing a dungeon with a Cleric healer; then you can pop Synthesis on the tank and your Ruin/Nature’s Touch will supplement the tank healing nicely
    Modify macros to include:
    #show Storm's Fury
    suppressmacrofailures
    stopcasting
    cast Vorpal Slash
    cast Storm's Fury
    cast Storm Slash
    cast Ruin
    cast Blazing Light

*Ruin will trigger when you’re out of range to use melee abilities

#show Lightning Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Lightning Strike
    cast Nature’s Touch
    cast Vile Spores

*Nature’s Touch hits for a lot of damage and gives you a nice chunk of healing

Level 35-45
    Time to simply fill out the Harbinger tree. Basically we’re taking the best talents to reach Reaper’s Blade. Furious Assault is a MASSIVE gain to your damage output. The rest is mostly survivability procs and damage increase
    41 Harbinger, 16 Chloromancer, 2 Elementalist

New keybinds:
    • Blade Mark is awesome for all of those times you have just two mobs attacking you, especially if one is a caster/ranged
    • Phase Step a teleport after when you hit any enemy with an ability.
    • Reaper’s Blade will now replace Lightning Blade. It’s better for solo’ing
    • Distracting Slash – No reason for Mages not to interrupt ;)
    • Glaring Fetters(optional) – deals a lot of damage if the target is moving. Can be thrown at the bottom of your spam macro or binded separately for PvP
    • Planar Shield(optional) – you won’t need to use it much since your survivability is already insane. If you wish to use it, remove the cast [notactive] Charged Blade line from your spam macro, as you’ll need more control over your charge useage
    #show Storm's Fury
    suppressmacrofailures
    stopcasting
    cast Vorpal Slash
    cast Storm's Fury
    cast Storm Slash
    cast Ruin
    cast Blazing Light
    cast Vengeful Shock

*Vengeful Shock only triggers if you are dodged/parried/blocked. It’s oGCD (off the global cooldown) so if you’re spamming this macro it doesn’t matter if it’s at the bottom

Level 46-50
    More filling out of the Harbinger soul. We pick up Insult to Injury (minor shielding) and some awesome utility abilities…
    45 Harbinger, 16 Chloromancer, 5 Elementalist
    Same place style – but with two overpowered cooldowns:

New keybinds:
    • Phantom Blades – You’re now a melee Mage who can melee from 30 meters for half the time!
    • Essence of Wind – dodge chance cooldown but really nice for DPS while solo’ing since it will proc lots of Lightning Ripose damage. Hence use it proactively as a DPS cooldown rather than defensively
    • Oh and Planar Retreat. Leap backwards, yay

Level 51-60
    Nothing special here for point allocation. 6 into Elementalist for crit chance, a shield and personal preference for Harbinger up to 59. I’ve opted for run speed and extra dodge chance
    54 Harbinger, 16 Chloromancer, 6 Elementalist

As for abilities, you get two rather nice ones.
    New keybinds:
    • Tempest Winds – Uber strong DPS channel. You’ll take out most of a mobs’ health by going up to them and doing Piercing Beam > Tempest Winds > main slash macro
    • Rending Slash – A replacement for Storm Slash and a debuff which increases your damage on the enemy by 8% for 15s
    Modify slash macro (replace Storm Slash with Rending Slash):
    #show Rending Slash
    suppressmacrofailures
    stopcasting
    cast Vorpal Slash
    cast Storm's Fury
    cast Rending Slash
    cast Ruin
    cast Blazing Light
    cast Vengeful Shock
    cast Ice Shield

Level 61-65
    As you finally reached the cap on soul points you now get points to spend in perks aka Masteries!
    Each level grants one point, that can only be spent in that level, and you have a choice of four perks per level.
    Though at Level 65 you don’t choose a perk you instead get a new ability to use.

Once you get a point you can freely swap those points multiple times while out of combat.
    You do need to be out of combat before you open the soul tree (N).

So for Level 61 the best Mastery to get is Arcanist's Shield.
    When comparing the perks it’s better to block the incoming damage while dealing damage as opposed to healing for a very small amount every 3s or healing only after a kill.

Level 62 Rejuvenating Presence comes next.
    The spreading of Blazing Light was such a pain before you had this perk, you just need to have Blazing Light on the enemy before you can spread it with Lucent Slash

For Level 63 Eldritch Swiftness.
    Which only provides a movement boost, however while leveling you do have run around a lot and it works 100% of the time.

Level 64 you have a choice between Calculated Annihilation or Sparking Destruction.
    Calculated Annihilation increases the damage of your cast times in the Vorpal Slash Macro while while reducing of instants in the Rending Slash Macro.
    While Sparking Destruction procs from your instants from using Rending Slash Macro.

Finally Level 65! you have another choice to make Ethereal Flux or Phantom Stream.
    Ethereal Flux is purely to deal better damage, you will need to macro Ethereal Flux to the Rending Slash Macro.
    Phantom Stream is either to deal a lot of damage to one target or serves as a personal heal to help in combat or saves you to use drink after. If you plan to use Phantom Stream as a heal it’s best to make a cast @self Phantom Stream Macro.

#show Rending Slash
    suppressmacrofailures
    stopcasting
    cast Ethereal Flux
    cast Vorpal Slash
    cast Storm's Fury
    cast Rending Slash
    cast Ruin
    cast Blazing Light
    cast Vengeful Shock
    cast Ice Shield

#show Phantom Stream
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @self Phantom Stream
    Last edited by Burninalways; 10-31-2015 at 07:32 AM.
    True Server First Prime GP: Anrak the Foul & Guurloth
    4/5 GSB
    4/4 GP
    4/4 DH

Soulwalker

Why do you take Vorpal slash out of the spam macro? Surely having the DoT up all the time will be more DPS than it having a 0.5 sec GCD every now and again, wouldn't it?

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Ridiculisk View Post
    Why do you take Vorpal slash out of the spam macro? Surely having the DoT up all the time will be more DPS than it having a 0.5 sec GCD every now and again, wouldn't it?
    Nope and never.
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by evantide View Post
    Nope and never.
    Huh, that seems counter-intuitive to me, but I'm fairly new so I'll take your word for it

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Ridiculisk View Post
    Huh, that seems counter-intuitive to me, but I'm fairly new so I'll take your word for it
    You gotta think of it as opportunity costs.

.5s GCD after 2 Vorpals is 1 more Storm slash. Is you using Vorpal instantly going to get you back 30k damage per 15s (average for slashes at 65 raid gear)?
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

Soulwalker

I have problem with first macro:
    Main spam macro:
    #show Stormís Fury
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Stormís Fury
    cast Storm Slash
    cast Blazing Light

When I'm click it my char tell me that not knows Storm's Fury... Any ideas?

PS Sorry for my english. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Pajonk View Post
    I have problem with first macro:
    Main spam macro:
    #show Stormís Fury
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Stormís Fury
    cast Storm Slash
    cast Blazing Light

When I'm click it my char tell me that not knows Storm's Fury... Any ideas?

PS Sorry for my english. :/
    Stormís Fury is unlocked with 2 point in Harbinger so make sure you have spent those soul points.
    Make sure it is spelled correctly in game comparing against the ability, different languages might be the issue.
    4/5 GSB
    4/4 GP
    4/4 DH

Soulwalker

I know what was the problem: you use in macro ` not ' - I just changed this one and everything is cool now. Thx.

Rift Disciple

Default Conditioned Response and Ice Shield?

Hi, and thanks for the guide. I'm still a bit of a neophyte, asking a couple of questions for my understanding (I still miss lots of synergies &c; e.g., "vorpal slash doesn't consume the proc" - who knew???):

Why take Conditioned Response? Seems like a very weak heal, and already have tons of healing. Could the point be better spent elsewhere, e.g., Vorpal Edge or Magnetic Blade?

Why take ice shield? Roughly same reasoning as above.

TIA
    Last edited by catonmylap; 10-31-2015 at 05:57 AM. Reason: removed spurious/confusing comment.

Phs

Quote Originally Posted by catonmylap View Post
    Hi, and thanks for the guide. I'm still a bit of a neophyte, asking a couple of questions for my understanding (I still miss lots of synergies &c; e.g., "vorpal slash doesn't consume the proc" - who knew???):
    This guide is outdated. Add Vorpal to Main slashing spam and ignore it talking about procs & vorpal.

Quote Originally Posted by catonmylap View Post
    That was old information before 3.4 that wasn't changed when Harbinger was updated, it been corrected now and other bits as well.

Why take Conditioned Response? Seems like a very weak heal, and already have tons of healing. Could the point be better spent elsewhere, e.g., Vorpal Edge or Magnetic Blade?

Why take ice shield? Roughly same reasoning as above.
    It's all about surviving no matter what content you are doing, now you might feel that these aren't good point investments but it's up to you to follow this path or you choose your own.
    4/5 GSB
    4/4 GP
    4/4 DH

Champion of Telara

I can't answer in the Prime Forum (strange decision that only prime users can post there in the guide forum) so I try it here, because it's about the Harb/Chloro.

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-prim...ml#post5343000
    Quote Originally Posted by Draknox
    What's the point in running Chloro with any solo spec, you going to spend 8 points for just Bloom?
    Having a Veil on lowers your damage by 50%. Ya, you can heal yourself well, but you kill so damn slow..
    Outgoing Non Chloromancer damage is reduced by 50%. This penalty is reduced by points spent in the Chloromancer soul, down to a minimum of 0%. Lasts 1h.

Vile Spores are not affected by the dmg reduce you can also activate Lifegiving Veil with the proc macro (/cast Lifegiving Veil) and deactivate it with the spam macro (cancelbuff Lifegiving Veil).
    Lifegiving Veil has no global cooldown and a 5 sec cd so you can heal yourself and your group quite often without any dmg reduce but stay as close as possible to the mob that your Vile Spores don't have any flight time.

Note: cast [notactive] has no influence on Lifegiving Veil but with Harb/Chloro it doesn't matter because you only activate Lifegiving Veil when you use a proc or if you spam Lucent Slash with many adds and need healing.
    Last edited by Bamul; 03-16-2018 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamul View Post
    I can't answer in the Prime Forum (strange decision that only prime users can post there in the guide forum) so I try it here, because it's about the Harb/Chloro.

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-prim...ml#post5343000

Outgoing Non Chloromancer damage is reduced by 50%. This penalty is reduced by points spent in the Chloromancer soul, down to a minimum of 0%. Lasts 1h.

Vile Spores are not affected by the dmg reduce you can also activate Lifegiving Veil with the proc macro (/cast Lifegiving Veil) and deactivate it with the spam macro (cancelbuff Lifegiving Veil).
    Lifegiving Veil has no global cooldown and a 5 sec cd so you can heal yourself and your group quite often without any dmg reduce but stay as close as possible to the mob that your Vile Spores don't have any flight time.

Note: cast [notactive] has no influence on Lifegiving Veil but with Harb/Chloro it doesn't matter because you only activate Lifegiving Veil when you use a proc or if you spam Lucent Slash with many adds and need healing.
    If you're proc'ing a lot vile spores is good damage. There is also life damage synergy with Harb and chloro.

For Prime rifting that little bit of heal is incredibly useful. It reduces cost, downtime, and increases survivability. Lot of utility there for a few points.

Soulwalker

How are folks generating AoE damage prior to having enough points to unlock Lucent Slash, aside from Luminous Weapon? Just DoT utilization?

Soulwalker

So I notice this guide was written almost 3 years ago, what substantial changes would I need to make if I want to level as a Harbinger?

I am level 31 right now, tried Mystic Archer out and didn't like it that much so wanted to give this a go. Does the guide work mostly as is, or have their been major changes over the past 3 years that would cripple the info in this guide?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast