+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Illuyanka's 3.1 Necromancer Guide

Default Illuyanka's NT Necromancer Guide

LAST UPDATED: May 21, 2015.

This guide is for the 3.1 Necromancer Update.
    I have to give credit to Inixia’s 61 Necromancer guide, which still has some valid stuff, but since that guide is PvP oriented and hasn’t been updated, I’ll make my own. Thanks to Burninalways too because I’m stealing your guide format.
    Special thanks to Evantide (Meciel@Deepwood) for all the suggestions and the hours of testing to improve the guide.
    Thanks for the suggestions, corrections made. I'll try to keep this guide updated for future changes

THIS GUIDE FOCUSES ON A NECROMANCER SPEC WHICH USES ITS PET AS MAIN DAMAGE SOURCE. This comes handy in movement heavy fights, since you can keep moving spamming instant skills only missing on corpse talon and your pet will continue doing damage. For a guide on a necro spec where the mage does most of the dps check Quick Necromancer Guide by Burninalways. Both specs do about the same damage, the only difference is the source.

Why necro?
    Necro is a really fun spec to play and really good for soloing open world content, but it has lower dps than other mage builds like stormcaller hybrids and pyro. The main reason to use necro in a raid is to substitute a defiler, since necro does considerably more dps. If extra heals or an extra battle rez are needed, defiler is still the way to go.
    This guide is recommended to beginner mages or mages that have trouble with charge management, since that's the main difference with the 11 warlock, 2 harb spec.

Best Spec:
    61 Necromancer, 13 Elementalist, 2 Warlock

Alternative Spec:
    61 Necromancer, 13 Elementalist, 2 Harbinger

Damage in both specs is almost the same, since the harb one adds slightly more spellpower, but some of its damage depends on lightning charge procs. Since most damage will come from your pet it won't make much of a difference, but I prefer warlock over harb because of the 2 extra DoTs, which provide a little extra self healing. If you don't feel like managing more DoTs, the harb spec has enough self healing already (and about the same dps).

Masteries:
    Level 61 – Arcanist’s Shield or Final Breath. You choose, shielding or healing
    Level 62 – Healing Expertise (If using Harb spec go for Healing Exigency)
    Level 63 – Combat Alacrity
    Level 64 – Sparking Destruction
    Level 65 – Ethereal Flux

Synergy Crystal: Annihilation

Buffs:
    Bone Armor
    Infection (Pet Buff)
    Soul Bond (On tank or on pet if soloing)
    Lightning Charge (Harb spec only)

Pets:
    Soloing/Tanking (i.e. Nightmare coast last boss): Skeletal Knight

DPS: Shadow Revenant (AoE or cleave/not melee friendly fights)
    Skeletal Zealot (pure ST melee friendly fights)

Starting Rotation:
    Cast Putrify (to build up 5 stacks of deathly calling) > Essence Link > Ignite > Dark Touch (Warlock spec) > Necrosis > Bone frenzy > Mass grave (use Mass grave macro if using warlock spec)> Empty the Crypts > Spam the “Spam macro”.

Standard Rotation:
    Keep 5 stacks of deathly calling on target at all times since they increase your damage on them by 10%, and since it increases the damage of your plague bolt and corpse talon considerably.
    Keep Essence Link, ignite, dark touch and necrosis up all time, use the “condemn” macro when putrify is not on cooldown, cast bone frenzy on cooldown and use the remaining charge for lich form (If bone frenzy cooldown is about to end, toggle lich form off to gain enough charge for bone frenzy). Use possession on cooldown if Mass grave and Empty the crypts are not active. Other than that, use the spam macro.
    For AoE use the Shadow Revenant pet and just spam the AoE macro. Use possession for AoE burst, using ruination, oblivion and master's rage when you have 1-2 seconds left on possession buff.

Damage Boosts:

Here's where the charge management becomes very important. On this spec you have 2 damage boosts: Bone frenzy and Lich form. Both are charge consumers. You should use Bone frenzy whenever it's available (except during possession, never use BF during possession, it's a charge waste that doesn't increase your damage), and use the remaining charge on Lich form. Make sure you use lich form when using Condemn and Corpse talon, and try to use it whenever aplying DoTs. Remember that in this spec most part of the damage comes from your pet, so Bone frenzy is alwas a priority. When you're doing AoE damage, the priority is the same unless you're not using the shadow revenant pet, in which case, you would only use Lich Form.

Possession:
    Since the GCD for possession is now gonna be shared with the standard skills, you will no longer be able to cast a standard skill inbetween possession skills, so your main focus will be your possession skills.
    Depending on which pet you have out you're going to use either oblivion >ruination > master's rage > oblivion >scourge bolt spam (shadow revenant possession) or the Zealot possession macro if using the melee pet.
    If you reached the point where you are only spamming scourge bolts or jagged wound, refresh your DoTs in between attacks, priority being dark touch (double DoT in 1 gcd), then necrosis and then ignite. Remember, although it's not a DoT, refresh essence link if it falls off.
    If using skeletal knight don't use possession unless your tank dies and you want to tank the boss 1-2 hits while your tank is B rezzed.

Other skills:
    Consumption – Purge 1 buff and gives you 5% mana.

Soul Purge – 4 second channel. Dps loss, heals the pet for 10% each second and the mage for 30% of the damage done. Good for soloing.

Feign death – Drops aggro and “Kills you”, despawns all pets while buff is up. Can be used to target swap your pets from Mass Grave, Parasite and Empty the crypts.

Loyal minion – Sacrifices 25% of pet’s hp, giving the mage a small 50% damage shield to the mage and makes the mage immune to crowd control effects for 5 seconds.

Reclaim power – Sacrifices 7% of pet’s hp and gives you 7% mana

Desecrate – Consumes all stacks of Deathly calling on the target and does instant damage. DPS loss, so don’t use unless you are nuking the last chunk of hp and condemn wouldn't last its full duration.

Macros:

“Spam”:
    #show Plague Bolt
    suppressmacrofailures
    Petattack
    Cast Parasite
    Cast Corpse Talon
    Cast Reaper's Touch
    Cast Last Gasp
    Cast Ethereal Flux
    Cast Plague Bolt

Condemn
    #show Condemn
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Condemn
    cast Putrify

AoE
    #show Grave rot
    suppressmacrofailures
    Petattack
    cast Corpse Explosion
    cast @gtae Grave Rot
    cast Plague Bolt

Mass grave (ignore if using harb spec)
    #show Mass grave
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Exhume
    cast Mass grave

Zealot Possession
    #show Possession
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Possession
    cast Crypt Rush
    cast Blood Spike
    cast Soul Rend
    cast Jagged Wound
    Last edited by Illuyanka; 06-27-2015 at 03:30 PM.
    Illuyanka@Greybriar-Mage
    Ixxtab@Greybriar-Rogue
    Mets@Greybriar-Cleric
    Antaikolon@Greybriar-Warrior
    CODE FOR FREE STUFF FOR NEWBIES: PRR9NF2PG2NXQ77KDDJQ

RIFT Guide Writer

I've found that 11 Lock, 4 Harb is better DPS, as have some other mages if you check the various threads in the mage section. Haven't done extensive testing with 13 Ele, but last time I tried it was performing pretty poorly. There might be some debate about 13 Lock vs 2 Harb though for more multiplicative scaling on DoTs vs everything else.

Masteries I use:

Final Breath
    Healing Expertise
    Mental Cynosure
    Sparking Destruction
    Ethereal Flux

That set-up mainly because Necros need Crit pretty badly so can't afford Methodical's crit drop (Not on dummies, anyways). That leaves Finesse due to everything else being instants with melee pet. Cynosure because the spec needs charge very badly.

Melee pet does much better damage then Range pet. Range pet only wins during a largely stationary fight that must be at range. Any movement or melee capabilities means the melee pet wins out for raw damage.

Also, since melee pet is better, you can make a giant macro for possession that includes your normal rotation spells, minus plague bolt.

For Corpse Talon, you want to use it in conjunction with Condemn instead of it being in its own macro. Guarantees 5 stack talon into 3 condemn into Putrify refresh for when you go into Possession for optimal uptime on Deathly calling stacks.
    Last edited by evantide; 01-31-2015 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Cause I am bad with mastery names
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

you're right about sparking destruction. since it accounts for roughly 6% of your dps, it's the best choice!

Quote Originally Posted by evantide View Post
    I've found that 11 Lock, 4 Harb is better DPS, as have some other mages if you check the various threads in the mage section. Haven't done extensive testing with 13 Ele, but last time I tried it was performing pretty poorly. There might be some debate about 13 Lock vs 2 Harb though for more multiplicative scaling on DoTs vs everything else.

Masteries I use:

Final Breath
    Healing Expertise
    Mental Cynosure
    Arcane Finesse
    Ethereal Flux

That set-up mainly because Necros need Crit pretty badly so can't afford Methodical's crit drop (Not on dummies, anyways). That leaves Finesse due to everything else being instants with melee pet. Cynosure because the spec needs charge very badly.

Melee pet does much better damage then Range pet. Range pet only wins during a largely stationary fight that must be at range. Any movement or melee capabilities means the melee pet wins out for raw damage.

Also, since melee pet is better, you can make a giant macro for possession that includes your normal rotation spells, minus plague bolt.

For Corpse Talon, you want to use it in conjunction with Condemn instead of it being in its own macro. Guarantees 5 stack talon into 3 condemn into Putrify refresh for when you go into Possession for optimal uptime on Deathly calling stacks.
    Last time I tried the 11 warlock spec I did significantly lower dps.
    I use sparking destruction because on my parses it was always higher than most of my DoT's, I'll have to try Arcane finesse.
    In my opinion Combat alacrity is a lot better because if you use Lic form correctly, you should never run out of mana, and the 1 min cooldown on exhume from CA really helps.
    Corpse talon, if used on the macro I put, would be cast alwayss at 5 DC stacks, because of putrify being the opener in the rotation.
    And finally, range pet is better than melee overall due to the cleave, possession cleaves, staying out of melee range and most important: Aid the master. That increases your dps more than the zealot does. Anyway the difference between Revenant and Zealot on my parses have been only 500-1k.

Apart from all this: How do I edit the guide? The 5 min timer already ended.
    Last edited by Illuyanka; 01-31-2015 at 04:13 PM.
    Illuyanka@Greybriar-Mage
    Ixxtab@Greybriar-Rogue
    Mets@Greybriar-Cleric

RIFT Guide Writer

WAIT! I messed up names. I was using Sparking. Derp derp derp.

WAIT! I messed up names. I was using Sparking. Derp derp derp.
    lol Ok. I just parsed lower with Arcane finesse and was about to correct you.
    Illuyanka@Greybriar-Mage
    Ixxtab@Greybriar-Rogue
    Mets@Greybriar-Cleric

RIFT Guide Writer

are you on Live or PTS right now? Keep trying to send you tells in-game but says not found.

RIFT Guide Writer

So just looking at numbers right now, but wouldn't master's rage be a straight DPS loss due to the 2 GCD timers?

EDIT: Also I'm getting almost a 10k DPS loss with range pet. >.>
    Last edited by evantide; 01-31-2015 at 10:42 PM.

So just looking at numbers right now, but wouldn't master's rage be a straight DPS loss due to the 2 GCD timers?

EDIT: Also I'm getting almost a 10k DPS loss with range pet. >.>
    As it stands, Master's rage is the skill that does the most damage if not interrupted, excluding pet skills. Not a dps loss considering the really low contribution to dps from your DoTs Also, I discovered the zealot and the revenant o be almost the same dps, with the parses only differing by 500-1k at most, not 10k. Probably dumb but make sure aid the master is on auto cast on the revenant's bar.
    I'd use revenant on fights that need more cleave or fights not melee friendly, and zealot in melee friendly pure st fights

Once again, how do I edit the guide?
    Last edited by Illuyanka; 02-01-2015 at 12:25 AM.
    Illuyanka@Greybriar-Mage
    Ixxtab@Greybriar-Rogue
    Mets@Greybriar-Cleric

RIFT Guide Writer

So Illu and I did several parses right now and found both specs variants to be... well weird and very gear dependent.

The pet heavy one with 13 Ele seems to work best at lower gear levels while, after you hit some SP break point, the Lock heavy one seems to out scale it. No true confirmation as the dozen parses I did with both specs and Illu's ended up about the same when illu had 11k SP, 5.1k SC, and 1.6 CP vs my 14.5k SP, 6.2k SC, and 2.3k CP.

Using 13 E vs 11 WL, I was sometimes able to make 13 E beat 11 WL when both used melee pets, but it was a small thing, between 500-1k at best. However, 11 WL's parses don't take into account Neddra's Grasp procs or its ability to double DoT and Target Swap faster than 13 E.

Furthermore, 11 WL is a HUGE charge and mana drainer on dummies. While 13 E can usually parse for well over 5 minutes with good Lich use, 11 WL will struggle to make it past 3.5 minutes consistently.

Also, between the two specs, 11 WL is burstier while 13 E has better sustain. This mainly seems to come from rotation timing.

13E has enough charge to use both EtC and MG at the start as well as use them constantly on CD. Due to less SP scaling, Possession hits about 10% weaker in general but the pets make up a good chunk of this. However, the pets aren't that bursty so won't receive full benefits of raid CDs such as Flaring.

11 WL has a faster start, nastier DoTs due to contaminate, more personal damage from 8% SP, as well as needing to go straight into Possession due to charge constraints. Due to this, its initial opener during raid CDs as well as in PVP is much more lethal.

TBH, after messing around with both, I think I'll stick with the 11 WL variant. Both however, seem relatively equal for now.

I'm so glad someone else made a guide for necromancer, I was looking into making one however I guess I don't have to now, maybe.
    I have 14 guides already and I don't really like this Necromancer, specs are a mess and charge is a pain.

In order to Edit the guide you need the RIFT Guide Writer title which you can obtain from a Moderator or CM, don't know which one though. Sadly there is no list.

Editing is both a gift and a curse, you can edit at will but nothing will be perfectly right most of the time.
    Last edited by Burninalways; 02-01-2015 at 04:55 AM.
    True Server First Prime GP: Anrak the Foul & Guurloth
    4/5 GSB
    4/4 GP
    4/4 DH

Am i playing this as horrible as I think?
    61Necro/13Ele/2Harb - Melee Pet
    12040SP 1315CP 5367SC

RIP RIFT | <Transcendent> | Stream | [AddOn] PullTimer
    Trions business plan ...

Talking

So Illu and I did several parses right now and found both specs variants to be... well weird and very gear dependent.

The pet heavy one with 13 Ele seems to work best at lower gear levels while, after you hit some SP break point, the Lock heavy one seems to out scale it. No true confirmation as the dozen parses I did with both specs and Illu's ended up about the same when illu had 11k SP, 5.1k SC, and 1.6 CP vs my 14.5k SP, 6.2k SC, and 2.3k CP.

Using 13 E vs 11 WL, I was sometimes able to make 13 E beat 11 WL when both used melee pets, but it was a small thing, between 500-1k at best. However, 11 WL's parses don't take into account Neddra's Grasp procs or its ability to double DoT and Target Swap faster than 13 E.

Furthermore, 11 WL is a HUGE charge and mana drainer on dummies. While 13 E can usually parse for well over 5 minutes with good Lich use, 11 WL will struggle to make it past 3.5 minutes consistently.

Also, between the two specs, 11 WL is burstier while 13 E has better sustain. This mainly seems to come from rotation timing.

13E has enough charge to use both EtC and MG at the start as well as use them constantly on CD. Due to less SP scaling, Possession hits about 10% weaker in general but the pets make up a good chunk of this. However, the pets aren't that bursty so won't receive full benefits of raid CDs such as Flaring.

11 WL has a faster start, nastier DoTs due to contaminate, more personal damage from 8% SP, as well as needing to go straight into Possession due to charge constraints. Due to this, its initial opener during raid CDs as well as in PVP is much more lethal.

TBH, after messing around with both, I think I'll stick with the 11 WL variant. Both however, seem relatively equal for now.

Thanks for all the help yesterday. Really appreciate it.

For everyone else. Yesterday on our parses we discovered the melee pet pasres a little higher assuming there's no disconnects and that the fight is 100% ST and melee friendly. If these requirements are not met, ranged pet has much better cleave and range, but less mobility. The DPS difference between both of them is minimal in the 13 ele variant, but apparently the zealot parses higher in the 11 WL variant.

Kapina: I don't know if you're using the rotation I posted, beecause sine yo're using the 13 ele variant your pat skills should be higher in dps than yours. Blood spike should be your top DPS skill. You have better stats than me, so you should be doing higher dps. That dps is about the same as mine. Only stat lower than mine is CP, which is really needed for this spec, so maybe it's that.
    Illuyanka@Greybriar-Mage
    Ixxtab@Greybriar-Rogue
    Mets@Greybriar-Cleric

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Illuyanka View Post
    The DPS difference between both of them is minimal in the 13 ele variant, but apparently the zealot parses higher in the 11 WL variant.
    We're talking significantly higher here. I'm still trying to make it work correctly, but I haven't been able to get it above 50k at all in range version compared to my usually easy 53ks with melee.

Range pet with 11 Lock hasn't been able to beat 46k. :/
    Last edited by evantide; 02-01-2015 at 02:32 PM.

Soulwalker

So no more velocity from Ele?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast