+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: [3.0] Soulstorm!

Default [3.0] Soulstorm!

Hello everyone.

Spoiler!

With the revamp to Necromancer, this specs gone through some slight changes. Though the changes are slight, the impact it has on the playstyle is not. So, from here forward I'll be re-writting this guide with that in mind.

While I originally built this just for fun, and as a parsing spec(not especially viable because of immobility), it's evolved into something a bit more. It's always done competitive damage with sc/lock(imo slightly better damage if you could be afforded to stand still), but with the buff to Plague Bolt it now has the mobility to actually be raid viable and is meant to seriously replace sc/lock.

Specs:
    With cast-time reduction in raid: 41sc/32nec/3warlock (Magelo link's sc tree is broken, in addition to what you see it should read: 6/6 Voltaic Strength, 3/3 Unstable Atmosphere, 2/2 Supercharge, 1/1 Colliding Storms for a total of 41sc)

Without cast-time reduction: 41sc/32nec/3warlock (Magelo link's sc tree is broken, in addition to what you see it should read: 6/6 Voltaic Strength, 3/3 Unstable Atmosphere, 2/2 Supercharge, 1/1 Colliding Storms for a total of 41sc)

Comments on spec: Like most sc hybrids the strength of the spec is Storm Locus and 41sc. As with sclock or stormchon, the remaining points go to augmenting the hard hitting sc spells with passives and filling the gaps with the best spells you can. Deathly Collusion and Symbiote(Essence Link) are the core of the passives in necro, that makes this possible. Corpse Talon, Dark Touch(plus Life Leech via Dark Touch) and Plague Bolt weaving are the fillers that help sustain the SC tree's dps.

In the solo/expert dungeon spec, more points in Deadly Plague are taken to bring CT's cast time down as close to the gcd as possible. Removing a point from Ghostly Power to max DP is definitely a possibility and preference, as I see it. Not sure which is more dps. A miniscule amount of resist penetration is just as inconsequential as .1seconds longer on CT every 30secs with the server lag we already deal with. If you want to free up points to pick up utility, consider removing points from GP or DP.

In the raid spec built for being paired with an Archon's Burning Purpose there are two free points that you can choose to move around in Necro. In the link I provided I chose to include them in Grave Rot(minor aoe) and Ancient Tomb. Ancient Tomb is only taken as precaution to keep your pet alive, as it provides 76% area damage reduction. There will likely be fights that you can get by without this skilled. Most of you have experience playing Warlock with a lvl 30 pet(for desecrate) and know that if that thing can survive, a lvl 65 pet should have no issue. There are some fights that will kill that pet though. Other options for that skill point include Feign Death or 3/5 Deadly Plague.

Now I MAY be ******ed(missed something in patch notes?) or Burning Purpose/Surging Flare is bugged. I noticed when I pulled out my pet my CT cast time reduced even further, after BP/SF were active, effectively double dipping. This may also just be a tooltip error, I can't seem to tell just by casting CT(default cast bar >_>). 2/5 Deadly Plague is taken because that is all the reduction needed to force your Corpse talon under the 1.5 gcd with cast time reductions in raid(Dummy Foundry places it at 1.4 with 2/5). If your archon or bm is not planning to take Burning Purpose or Call of the Forest, respectively, then use the alternate spec with 4/5(or 5/5) DP.

I would mention Consumption, but that's what Inquisitors are for

Pros: High ST, High passive cleave(HS, LS and Revenant), Ease of use

Cons: Relies on pet for 14%spell damage bonus/Deathly Calling(Deathly Collusion), Not exceptionally adept at target swapping due to Deathly Calling, Moderate/not great mobility(though much better now with CT's cast reduction and PB's buff).

Crystal: Annihilation

Buffs: Storm Armor

Mastery: AM, CA, MC(10%charge), HExpertise(DT+LL in one), AS(or preference).

EF/EB instead of AM is a consideration and preforms decently, but as I found with it and sc/lock it ends up being more of a hindrance than help in actual practice. Not only does it push priorities around, it creates annoying macro lag and is another thing to manage, all for being dps neutral at best.

Debuffs to manage: Storm Locus, Essence Link, Deathly Calling(applied via pet). Situationally, Dark Touch(see priority list below).

Buffs to manage: Aid the Master(applied via pet). Static Flux every 15, give or take(see Priority and Comments on Priority below).

Pre-Pull: cast @self Arcane Manipulation + petcast Aid the Master (make this macro)(PSA: Put pet on passive and untarget the boss when you do this; don't be that guy), Static Flux, Storm Locus(both to build charge back and have it at 59sec duration on tank pull)

The Pull: Storm Locus should already be up > Static Flux(if off cd from Pre-Pull) > Living Storm(won't pull aggro for 1sec; no initial damage) > Essence Link > Hailstorm if boss is in position, else DT > DT, unless you swapped it with HS, then HS > Icicle > RS > Icicle > CT > etc.

Priority:
    Storm Locus
    V
    Essence Link
    V
    Living Storm(on target swap/pull or if it had fallen; otherwise ignore)
    V
    Hailstorm
    V
    DT
    V
    Icicle
    V
    Raging Storm
    V
    Icicle
    V
    Corpse Talon
    V
    Static Flux(optimal refresh timing)
    V
    Epidemic Proc Plague Bolt
    V
    Forked Lightning
    V
    Thunder Shock
    V
    Hard Cast Plague Bolt(if no Epidemic Proc is available use FL instead, or TS, aka don't ever consider this)

Spoiler!

Comments on priority:
    This spec, now, plays a lot like SC/Lock in the sense that you have a repeated block of icicle>rs>icicle, a manditory high priority dot(dt) and varrying fillers.

With the way Epidemic procs come about(waiting for your pet to crit, hoping you get another proc before your 1.0 gcd is up), the best way to handle them is to plan for swapping between one proc, and then an other filler of relatively close DPCT(view the spoiler above to reference). This means two things. You don't want to go out of your way to avoid any of your high DPCT spells just to weave procs between them, this means DT, HS, CT, Icicle. Two, I said plan. You're planning because, depending on what fillers are available to you, you may be hoping for a second Epidemic proc during the 1.0 gcd of the Plague Bolt you just fired. Example: Pbolt > only FL is available > plan to use FL, hope for another Epidemic proc > use FL if you must. I know it sounds tempting to weave PB between everything, but delaying high DPCT spells is going to hurt a lot more than simply filling the last 4.5secs of every 15 with ePB>FL>ePB. Either create a "cooldown bar"(blank action bar you place somewhere easily visable on your screen) and place RS/HS/Icicle/CT on it or download KaruulAlert to assist you.

Some of you may notice Desecrate is available but avoided; that's intended. Desecrate hits hard but consumes our DC stacks. Parsing both ways I felt the Deathly Collusion bonus, along with not delaying CT for charge/dpct, was a bigger gain.

Target swaps are rough with this spec, both because of Deathly Calling(Deathly Collusion talent) and because you have SL, EL and LS to apply, depending on duration. Referencing the above, you can see that one LS cast does about the same damage as an Epidemic Proc, your main(prefered) filler. Since it's highly unlikely that you'll string together only Epidemic procs and avoid FL, or even TS due to movement, you can assume that your average fillers will be something between the FL and Epidemic proc's DPCT(see spoiler above). That said, the one LS cast, even if you never refresh it, should out damage your average filler as long as you get 13-14seconds of it's duration. Any swap shorter than 14, don't bother casting it. Cut this number in half, to 7, if you're hitting two primary targets(not trash targets). Any swap shorter than 30seconds(guessing) I would avoid using Essence Link. SL is a must on anything that necessitates you swapping to it(meaning, if its sub 5seconds, cleave/warriors/rogues/etc can handle that). Also remember that SL permeates in a radius, so isn't always needed to be moved. Look for the secondary debuff on your swap target. Same can be said for LS(though it wont show a debuff).

DT/LL, to clip or not to clip. DT has a 16second duration, and it does it's 9th tick of damage as the spell falls off it's target(same with LL). A number of our high DPCT spells have a 15second cooldown(HS, RS), so they can come in conflict with refreshing DT. At some point in the rotation you'll be faced with DT falling off as icicle>rs(or just rs) is available, making you choose between delaying RS, clipping DT's last tick of damage(and by association LL's last tick of damage) or casting RS>icicle and placing DT after it. To delay RS is to delay Icicle and future RSs, and isn't an option imo. Outright losing damage by removing a tick of damage from DT(and LL) hurts, it reduces it's damage by 1/9th(or 11.1%). Losing uptime on DT(and LL) hurts too. My thought is that once you place it after RS and icicle, it will take a number applications for it to rotate back around to the point that you have to make this decision again(where it's falling off just before rs). Which makes the 4~ seconds lost uptime for that one decision hurt a lot less. The clincher for me, was the fact that, on top of the above, LL has a travel time and if you're at range you may be cutting off more than just one tick of LL. Parsing has proved inconclusive, the difference is swallowed in the rng of crits between different parses. For now I'd suggest letting it fall fully off, not delaying RS and applying as you can, perhaps before the post-rs Icicle, since it is higher DPCT and SF will give you some leeway on the next Icicle anyway.

Macros:
    PSA: I highly recommend you create and use macros that are comfortable for YOU. Macros are only a reflection of the intended Priority(above). My macro isn't going to magically increase your dps by 9000.

I call this one the "Idgaf let me press my buttons how I want"
    #show Icicle
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast static flux
    cast @gtae hailstorm
    cast icicle
    cast raging storm
    cast corpse talon
    cast Forked Lightning
    cast thunder shock
    cast @self arcane manipulation
    petattack

There's no reason you can't use this, you just have to be very aware of your RS cooldown, SF cooldown, AM cooldown, and your Epidemic procs. TS is included for mobility. Have RS elsewhere if you fear clipping it, especially when AM/SF cooldowns are almost up. Having HS, Icicle and TS elsewhere on your bar is also helpful.

#show Arcane Manipulation
    cast @self Arcane Manipulation
    petcast aid the master

PSA: De-target the boss when you use this! If you find this an annoyance you can simply let your pet cast the initial Aid the Master, but you may be short the buff on your first couple of casts, and it'll use one pet gcd(not really a big deal, lol). Remove the petcast line if thats what you want to do.

#show Plague Bolt
    cast @self Arcane Manipulation
    cast plague bolt
    petattack

For Epidemic procs.

TLDR; Refresh debuffs/dt, maybe throw an Icicle or two, get pissed when you have to move.

12/10 Edit: Added additional proof of concept screenshots. Corrected a Mastery typo. Added Buffs section. Adjusted priority slightly to indicate the intended Icicle>RS>Icicle that should happen every 15secs, and to highlight optimal SF refresh timings. Added additional comments on Icicle/SF, edited comments on priority.

2/17 Edit: Added the option to move one point from High Voltage to Bitting Cold, if nearing CP cap.

2/18 Edit: Rewrote nearly the entire guide, let me know if I missed anything!

2/20 Edit: Added an alternate spec, based on current support in raid. Updated 'Comments on Spec' to reflect alternate spec.
    Last edited by NotTrev; 02-20-2015 at 01:44 AM.

#1 worst name NA, all time
    Soulstorm!

well done! i would recommend to put raging storm under icicle in terms of priority.
    i assume you use storm armor therefore you can use more icicles because of the cd reduction.
    Quite@Typhiria
    -GreatWhiteNinja- he was right after all -
    61 Dominator Guide
    Nightmare rifts - An indepth guide to reach stage 300

Quote Originally Posted by Nynja View Post
    well done! i would recommend to put raging storm under icicle in terms of priority.
    i assume you use storm armor therefore you can use more icicles because of the cd reduction.
    And the first mistake was found: forgot to list buffs. LOL. Yea, Storm Armor.

The placement of icicle first doesn't really matter, though, because you'll have icicle naturally come up again prior to RS. I originally wanted to specifically avoid two icicles at the start because of how charge starved it was. Now with CMs helping too it might be ok(originally I only went 2ele for LS, then later realized I should also get CM in there dps and charge gain).

Soulstorm!

RIFT Guide Writer

TROLL IN THE DUNGEONS!

But nah, spec's decent but finding a fight where it actually beats the other niches is... difficult to say the least. I guess dungoen lulz for now is good enough.
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

Well, yea, but it's even pretty bad at dugneons lol. Too much trash/target swapping. Only thing it's got going for itself is feign death

Soulstorm!

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by NotTrev View Post
    Only thing it's got going for itself is feign death
    What are you talking about? that's like the best thing to have going for it. :P

Quote Originally Posted by NotTrev View Post
    Mastery: CM
    ... should be AM.

Soulstorm!

RIFT Guide Writer

good job dr. frankenstein.
    killings - Mage - Apotheosys - Typhiria

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by paschl View Post
    frankenstein.
    Demand this to be the build name!

Rift Disciple

Remember that you don't use inferno on the regular dummy either, which would be about 1.5-2k free dps in a real fight, so pyro is more st dps in a real fight. The only application for this build is when the passive cleave comes into play, which is going to be rare since usually the targets you're cleaving either don't matter or need to be nuked asap. Also SC/lock will probably be better/match the cleaveage? if so, there's no use for this spec at all, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggity View Post
    Remember that you don't use inferno on the regular dummy either, which would be about 1.5-2k free dps in a real fight, so pyro is more st dps in a real fight. The only application for this build is when the passive cleave comes into play, which is going to be rare since usually the targets you're cleaving either don't matter or need to be nuked asap. Also SC/lock will probably be better/match the cleaveage? if so, there's no use for this spec at all, unfortunately.
    You'd think so(inferno). But have you ever parsed wounded dummy vs standard dummy on pts? When the pts testing benchmark for pyro was 66.3-66.5k the best I could do was about 67.1-2k on the wounded dummy. Silexx and Xeero tried as well, same thing. I don't know if it's increased ability lag or increased consumption in IC, but it is what it is.

The real drawback to this spec is the inability to be mobile. Or, I should really say, is the fact that it's mobile dps is far less than it's stationary dps. I tried it on Yrlwalach a couple pulls and felt it could actually compete with sclock. I had a pull where I was able to hold 84k for 2-2.5mins until we stopped getting tailsmashes(forced movement) but yea none of that matters unless you can sustain it throughout the fight.

I really want to try it on Jino but I've been pigeonholed into chloroharb since I offered it on our first kill, haha.

On the topic of cleave, yea it doesn't matter, unless we have another Matriarch. Compared to sc/lock, though, it has the exact same passive cleave(hs/ls) but the pet as well. Oblivion and Ruination add roughly 8-9kdps cleave on 5 targets. Trade off is that sc/lock can scumbag with radiate, this can't.

Soulstorm!

Champion of Telara TheDoomgiver's Avatar

http://i.imgur.com/GEYidQj.jpg

first parse on live, 38k sustained.
    did on 67 expert dummy in draumhiem, no consumables, selfbuff only.

did some things wrong, there's a lot to manage atm, and nottrev was right, this isnt a spec that works well with macros.

downloading PTS to try a proper parse.

edit : pyro parse for comparision : http://i.imgur.com/TwH08j4.jpg
    Last edited by TheDoomgiver; 11-28-2014 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoomgiver View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/GEYidQj.jpg

first parse on live, 38k sustained.
    did on 67 expert dummy in draumhiem, no consumables, selfbuff only.

did some things wrong, there's a lot to manage atm, and nottrev was right, this isnt a spec that works well with macros.

downloading PTS to try a proper parse.

edit : pyro parse for comparision : http://i.imgur.com/TwH08j4.jpg
    Your stats are really low so it's hard for me to judge if you're butchering something or it's just a product of the stats, lol. The difference between your Pyro and this spec, looks right though. That said, I did want to point out a few things, and maybe this helps you.

First, that macro is actually the one I parsed with for the screenshot in my first post. I was just warning that you need to be aware of a number of things in/around your raging storm cooldown and when to properly through in necrosis. IMO it makes things easier to track. Again, up to you though.

Second is, for for Pyro I use MD instead of AF. I think you could get a bit higher. If that's the case, then your sc/nec should be a bit higher.

Only a couple things I noticed different in your sc/nec parse. Icicle had a higher contribution. Normally that would be good but it looks like it's detracting from your HS contribution. HS has a higher dpct, it should be prioritized before Icicle. You didn't use Necrosis at all, that's not a huge deal, it just leads to more CM usage or FL usage(or worst cast hard-cast CM if you have that at the bottom of your macro). Your CM contribution was a bit higher, so I think this confirms that. Other than that, you seem to be on the right track.

Soulstorm!

thanks, im now tinkering on the PTS, will post a parse using test raid gear (i assume no earrings? or orbs?)

http://i.imgur.com/Zq3utli.jpg

latest parse. annihilation crystal.

im using your macro, plus a second macro, with Aid the Master, Static Flux, AM and RS, so, when RS is about to get off CD, i spam it, thereby not accidentally casting the next skill in the original macro.

BTW, you said all these skills make up neat blocks, maybe something im doing wrong, but im not getting "neat" blocks. some skills are used in different order, jumbling up the priority.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast