Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Learning Pyromancer

Default Learning Pyromancer

Name: The Pyromancer
    Difficulty: 7/10 - Medium
    Type: Ranged DPS
    Mobility: 4/10 - Poor
    Requirement(s): SL souls (PvE), NT souls (PvP)
    Crystal(s): Pyromancer Crystal
    Buff(s): Pyromancer's Armor, Lightning Blade (PvE), Aqueous Blessing (PvP)

Videos: Video guide including a 2 min parse with commentary on Youtube.

The spec(s):
    1. 61 Pyromancer, 12 Stormcaller, 3 Harbinger (If maintaining CM stacks)
    2. 61 Pyromancer, 10 Stormcaller, 5 Harbinger (If losing CM stacks)
    3. 61 Pyromancer, 12 Stormcaller, 3 Elementalist (F2P)
    4. 61 Pyromancer, 12 Stormcaller, 3 Arbiter (PvP)

Intro:
    Out of the (relative) death of the Stormcaller hybrids rise the new and improved Pyromancer soul. This is a easy spec to play and there isn't that many button to use. To be one of the best with this spec, after you've learned te rotation of course, you simply need to learn how to minimize movement and make it as fast as possible. You will need to keep track of 2 debuffs, your cooldowns and your Internalize Charge stacks. It's a priority based rotation meaning you simply need to use your highest damaging ability available to maximize dps.

Rotation:
    Pre-pull - Cast Internalize Charge

1 - Apply and maintain Internalize Charge (IC)
    Sounds simple but it's actually quite a chore to recast it every 6 fire spell cast. It's off the global cooldown so you need to use it very quickly in between spells when you run out of stacks.

2 - Apply and maintain Accelerant
    ... With Countdown. Once your rotation has started the only time you will need to actually pay attention to it is during Heat Wave where using Countdown for it's damage is a loss. You will have to use Countdown once during Heat Wave since the duration of the debuff and the duration of Heat Wave are the same.

3 - Apply and maintain Improved Flame Bolt (IFB)
    ... With Flame Bolt. Depending on whether or not you have Burning Purpose in your raid you may have to track it and only use a Flame Bolt when a refresh is needed. During Heat Wave you won't be using Flame Bolt on cooldown either so you will need to cast a Flame Bolt ONLY right before Improved Flame Bolt is about to fall off.

4 - Inferno
    Bellow 40% you get a new ability called Inferno that simply deals damage. The reason it has such a high priority is because it's off the GCD so it's completely free damage. During Heat Wave it will cast automatically if you use the macro I will give bellow but you will still need to cast it manually in between hard cast fireballs outside of the cooldown's duration.

5 - Cinder Burst (CB)
    Use them first thing when you get a proc. The proc come from your Pyromancer's Armor so make sure your buff is active.

6 - Fulminate, Fusillade and Flame Volley
    These are your highest damaging abilities with a noticeable cooldown. You want to use them as fast as you can when they are available. Make sure you have IFB, Accelerant and IC active for the entire duration.

7 - Heat Wave (HW)
    This cooldown reduce the cast time of your spells by 50%. This only mean you will be casting your fireballs much faster. HW also prevent your Pyromancer's Fury (see notes bellow) stacks from being consumed. Your Fireball still benefit from them but your stacks won't be going down. This allow you to spam Fireballs without worrying about using an instant cast when you're running low on stacks. Use this macro and don't forget you will need to use 1 or 2 Flame Bolt and 1 Countdown to maintain your buff/debuff.

#show Heat wave
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Heat wave
    cast fireball
    cast Cinder Burst
    cast Flame Bolt
    cast Countdown
    cast Searing Bolt
    cast Inferno
    cast Burning Shield

8 - Countdown
    More dps then a fireball and will be consumed by Searing Bolt. You will need cast a new one after every Searing Bolt.

9 - Searing Bolt
    Also more dps the a Fireball. It will detonate Countdown so you will need to reapply a new one after this cast. Beware travel time. For button saving I use this macro to never mistakenly cast a Searing Bolt without Countdown.

#show Countdown
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Countdown
    cast Searing Bolt
    cast Burning Shield

10 - Fireball IF Burning Purpose (51 Archon aura)
    If you have a Archon with 51 points or more in your raid your fireball will have a shorter cast time making it more dps then a Flame Bolt.

11 - Flame Bolt
    More dps then a Fireball without Burning Purpose. It has a 8s cooldown but you can also get Wildfire to proc removing the cooldown of your next 3 Flame Bolt. If you have a 51+ Archon these procs are going to be used for mobility only. If not... well... spam it or even macro it.

12 - Fireball IF no Burning Purpose
    You've got everything else on CD so you're spamming Fireballs.

Opening rotation:
    Countdown > Flame Bolt > Use CB proc at any point if a proc > Fulminate > Fusillade > Flame Volley > Flame Bolt > Countdown > Heat wave
    Note that in a lot of cases you are better off delaying the use of your fire CDs (Fulminate, Fusillade and Flame Volley) and wait for Flaring / Orchestra / Wild Growth before using them for maximum early burst / dps.

Summary:
    Q/A:
    • But but but... Heartbeat... I saw people posting 1 button macro saying it was doing good dps so why aren't you putting everything into a macro like them? Are they wrong? YES! they are and their dps isn't going to be as good. Far from it.
    • I lost most of my fingers in a gruesome blender accident and I was wondering if there was a simpler way for me to use Pyromancer? Well if you have a good reason to require as much simplicity as you can get I may be able to help.

Easy mode sub-guide:
    Spoiler!

Note(s):
    • Pyromancer's Fury isn't part of the guide because assuming you are doing your rotation you will never run out of stacks.
    • Searing Bolt have a slow travel time so being close to your target is more practical to cast the Countdown that will follow.

Kalert:
    Spoiler!

As always, if you have any question or if you see any mistake feel free to point them out. I try to answer every questions posted in here, my Youtube channel or in game via Heartbeat@Greybriar (Keep it short for in game questions). I hope this guide will be useful to a few mages out there.

Posted 2 day early. The Pyro changes are only going live this Wednesday.

Enjoy

Prophet of Telara

Cheers !!!
    Live - Lokken - Mage - Unity Guild - Gelidra EU http://www.unityguild.net/
    Prime - Lokken - Rogue

Excellent guide, I look forward to grinding another synergy crystal - today in fact

I suppose if one has to ask the question "What constitutes high gear" then it could be assumed they're in anything but, however at what point could one utilise the 61/10/5 PVE variant? 6.4k sp and 800 CP?
    Last edited by Augrim; 08-04-2014 at 03:00 AM.
    4/4 ROF +HM (Conq.) 5/5 MS 3/3 TF (EU Fastest Crucia Kill - alt style) 11/11 HK A.F.K #4 World iGP NM & HM

Quote Originally Posted by Augrim View Post
    Excellent guide, I look forward to grinding another synergy crystal - today in fact

I suppose if one has to ask the question "What constitutes high gear" then it could be assumed they're in anything but, however at what point could one utilise the 61/10/5 PVE variant? 6.4k sp and 800 CP?
    I don't have a specific number but if I had to guess I'd say t2 weapon(s) + t2 4 piece bonus and above.

I was wondering how your difficulty scale works for your guides so I thought I'd extrapolate a little so people can see the full 10 point scale and judge the difficulty more accurately (ones in Red are from your guides).

10/10 - Hard (Stormbinger Step 2 and 3)
    9/10 - Hard (Warlock)

8/10 - Annoying (Arguing logically with WarUltima or Soupism)
    7/10 - Medium (Stormbinger Step 1)
    6/10 - Easy (Pyro)

5/10 - Very Easy (Old school Necromentalist)
    4/10 - OMG dat sheet is too Easy (1 button L33tmentalist)
    3/10 - Is this an exploit? (Brothers 1 skill Voltaic Feedback, top the DPS charts spec)
    2/10 - Auto-attack only
    1/10 - I DC'd but I'm still top DPS (any Warrior spec)

We are currently actively recruiting, if you are an exceptional player of any class please find an officer in game for a chat - Guild info is Here

CoA 6/6 (World 1st NM, 5th HM) - iROTP 4/4 (EU 1st Non-cheese kill!) - TD Normal 4/4 (World 2nd)

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkoss View Post
    Snip
    Cheers for that, made me laugh! ^^

The Gamer Beans
    <Special Olympics>
    <StackOnEight>
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilkoss View Post
    I'm not saying I'm great, Alfiexx is great.

Phs

So assuming no Burning Purpose could I noobmacrobuttonspaceyolo-

#show Searing Bolt
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Countdown
    cast Searing Bolt
    cast Flame Bolt
    cast Fireball
    tell Mum@home when's dinner?

While having Flame Bolt elsewhere for Heat Wave refreshing. -and not be a completely horrible person?
    It'd save me what... one button, that's a plus for me. (Be like; That Macro, Heatwave Macro, Flamebolt, 3 CDs, CB, Inferno and IC? Instead of the dread of two buttons: Searing/CDown and Flame/Fireball)

Oh and what'd you figure the dps loss be from taking 10necro for a purge?
    Swapping out the 10SC 10%sp and crit chance for 5%damage, 4% sp and a purge.
    also maybe put Necrosis at the end of that forsaid macro for movement and no Flame Bolt procs.
    Last edited by Phs; 08-04-2014 at 04:52 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Phs View Post
    So assuming no Burning Purpose could I noobmacrobuttonspaceyolo-

#show Searing Bolt
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Countdown
    cast Searing Bolt
    cast Flame Bolt
    cast Fireball
    tell Mum@home when's dinner?

While having Flame Bolt elsewhere for Heat Wave refreshing. -and not be a completely horrible person?
    It'd save me what... one button, that's a plus for me. (Be like; That Macro, Heatwave Macro, Flamebolt, 3 CDs, CB, Inferno and IC? Instead of the dread of two buttons: Searing/CDown and Flame/Fireball)

Oh and what'd you figure the dps loss be from taking 10necro for a purge?
    Swapping out the 10SC 10%sp and crit chance for 5%damage, 4% sp and a purge.
    also maybe put Necrosis at the end of that forsaid macro for movement and no Flame Bolt procs.
    If you need a ranged purge, tell your Archon or whoever else plays ranged to take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Allmightyone View Post
    I don't have a specific number but if I had to guess I'd say t2 weapon(s) + t2 4 piece bonus and above.
    Thanks I'll have to put some extra work in!
    4/4 ROF +HM (Conq.) 5/5 MS 3/3 TF (EU Fastest Crucia Kill - alt style) 11/11 HK A.F.K #4 World iGP NM & HM

I dont see it mentioned, but you can use Fire Storm pre-pull 5x to max pyro fury stacks pre-pull.
    Illusive - EQ - retired, Illu - EQ2 - retired
    Illusive - Vanguard SoH - retired
    Illusive - AoC - retired
    Illusive - WoW - retired
    IllusiveEQ - Rift - current

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Allmightyone View Post
    [[*]But but but... Heartbeat... I saw people posting 1 button macro saying it was doing good dps so why aren't you putting everything into a macro like them? Are they wrong? YES! they are and their dps isn't going to be as good. Far from it.[/LIST]
    The only issue I have with the guide is the condescension with regards to using some macros. Not everyone is capable instantly pressing 12 keys in order and doing it perfectly while avoiding boss mechanics. i.e. not all mages are uber gods of rotations but they are still mages and enjoy the game. Writing in this tone isn't at all helpful.

Far more helpful in the guide would have been

Macroing is going to result in a DPS loss and will not be the best means of maxing DPS, but if you MUST macro it this the the most efficient way.

<provide macro>

I'm still unsure why all of the mage guides are so adverse to macroing except in some circumstances.

Because Heartbeat guides are generally aimed to be guides for best possible way to play, and that is how they should be approached. You have pyro/ele with macros there ^^
    Last edited by radiomaryja; 08-04-2014 at 06:48 AM.

Rift Disciple

Things I have done in Pyromancer:

My opening prefight will look like this:

While waiting for a pull I'll spam AoE on myself while maintaining 3 IC stacks until I get a Cinder Burst.
    I'll continue that procedure until a countdown for the pull is initiated.

My first 3 spells will be preferrably
    Flame Bolt -> Countdown -> IC + Cinder Burst

That leads into:
    Searing Bolt -> Fireball(To account for Searing Bolt travel time) -> Countdown -> Fulminate -> Fussilade -> IC + Flame Bolt -> Flame Volley -> Countdown -> Heatwave + Fireball

I think you can get that opening quite often. Casting Cinder Burst 3rd is preferred to activate both +% damage debuffs prior to it but when expiring proc doesn't allow it it's still better to cast it earlier than not at all. Refreshing IC before Cinder Burst will allow you to handle your early charge management better that leads to the first Fulminate.

Future rng Cinder Burst procs in the opening are meshed within the rotation and thus aren't listed here.

WIth this opening the thing I wanted to achieve was maximum output from the get-go and save your hard hitting spells for when most guilds use their flaring + orchestra/... of the fallen(oracle thingy) + wild growth.

In this scenario Fulminate is cast after 6.5 secs, but keep an eye on your support buffs/RCD addon preferrably and delay it if necessary.
    In case you have to do that make sure you insult the mothers of the supports either
    a) during the fight
    b) after the fight

I also think in the body rotation it's important to use Searing Bolt exclusively in the first one or two GCDs applying Countdown to maximize this damage source and get the maximum number of Countdowns over the fight. This won't matter too much dps wise but will make a small difference.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by radiomaryja View Post
    Because Heartbeat guides are generally aimed to be guides for best possible way to play, and that is how they should be approached. You have pyro/ele with macros there ^^
    I'm fine with the optimal way to play, not the condescension towards those who do use a macro.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast