+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Learning 61 Stormcaller

Default Learning 61 Stormcaller

Name: The Stormcaller
    Difficulty: 6/10 - Medium
    Type: Ranged AE DPS
    Requirement(s): SL souls (PvE) and NT souls(PvP)
    Crystal(s): Stormcaller Crystal
    The spec(s): 61SC/10Necro/5Harb (PvE), 61SC/8Arb/7Harb (PvP)
    Buff(s): Storm Armor (ST), Tempest Armor (AE), Lightning Blade, Aqueous Blessing (PvP)

I wasn't planning on writing a 61 Stormcaller spec but as it turns out I'd rather have all the info about it in 1 place instead of answering the same questions in game. This isn't the first guide on the forum for that spec so if you don't like my format feel free to check it out. 61 Stormcaller isn't a very hard spec to play but there's a lot to cover simply because different amount of targets result in a different priority lists. Just be aware that even though there may seems to be a lot written it's really much easier than what it seems.

Single Target

Intro:
    The focus of the ST rotation is about maintaining Electrified stacks (don't even need to worry about it) and Conductive Medium. If you follow the rotation you don't even need to track those buffs.

Rotation:
    Pre-pull - Use Storm Armor
    Pre-pull - Build 5 Electrified by using Static Flux

1 - Apply and maintain Storm Locus
    Simple enough. Just make sure you reapply it after it fall off.

2 - Apply and maintain Living Storm
    Won't be an issue. Just apply it and forget it. Don't delay your Raging Storm too long though.

3 - Static Flux and Lightning Field
    Before every Static Flux you will want to use Lightning Field to generate some extra charges that you require to maintain the rotation. You want to maintain 5 stacks on Electrified while refreshing Static Flux as fast as possible. Only ever use Lightning Field right before Static Flux for a single target.

4 - Perfect Storm
    Cancel the cast after 1 seconds. The only reason you are even using this ability is for the Hailstorm and Eye of the Storm that will be cast along with it. The Storm dmg is too weak for 1 target.

5 - Hailstorm
    You can only have 1 instance of the spell active at any time and there's no Kalert that can help you with that. This include the ones from Perfect Storm. Just pay attention that what's on the floor or the flying yellow numbers on your screen and reapply it once it's gone.

6 - Eye of the Storm
    Just like Hailstorm, only 1 at the time.

7 - Raging Storm
    Very strong channel. Use the entire duration.

8 - Thunder Shock
    Just spam it when everything else is taken care of.

No Icicle. You do not have enough charges to use all the zone AE abilities and Icicle. Since Icicle doesn't do as much dmg it doesn't get used. That said you may be able to use it during a Verse of Joy (or the oracle equivalence) but if you do not track these sort of CD just ignore Icicle altogether. (PvP only) With the blanket reduction to AE abilities in PvP Icicle takes priority over your 3 AE spells.

Multiple Targets

Intro:
    The focus shift from maintaing stacks of Electrified to consuming them and building them back up. All your rotation is going to be about building and dumping Electrified as soon as you have 5.

Rotation:
    Pre-pull - Use Tempest Armor
    Pre-pull - Build 100 charges by spamming Storm Locus (does not generate any threat)
    Pre-pull - Build 5 Electrified by using Static Flux

1 - Apply and maintain Storm Locus
    Reapply after it fade.

2 - Apply and maintain Living Storm
    Won't be an issue. Just apply it and forget it.

3 - Hailstorm & Eye of the Storm
    It was strong for 1 target and is even stronger for multiple targets. Always have them active.

4 - Consuming Electrified
    ...with Lightning Field. More stacks of Electrified means more target hit (not more dmg per hit), more charges gained and faster CD refresh. You will cut your Perfect Storm and Lightning Storm if you reach 5 stacks before they are complete (so... always cut them).

5 - Building Electrified
    The goal here is to build to 5 stacks. If you have 5 stacks you do not want to use any of those abilities until you use Lightning Field. Follow this priority order:Depending on the number of targets you might not even need to get to Raging Storm and Forked Lightning. As a matter of fact I never have to use Forked Lightning in PvE. I use a few macro for button saving purpose. All I did was macro abilities that fulfill the same type of condittion togetter. I have Lightning Arc above Forked Lightning because both those ability will chain from the target to all nearby attackers. I have Perfect Storm above Lightning Storm because both these abilities leave a zone effect on the ground that doesn't play well with enemy mobility. I also have 2 ground target macros to center my Hailstorm and Eye of the Storm on my target because it's faster then placing a zone AE every time.

Macros:
    Spoiler!

Your rotation will be altered depending on the number of targets. Here's a few notable alteration:
    • If you have 5 or 6 targets you will find that you do not need to stack your Electrified stacks up to 5 like the point above. The only difference to the priority list posted in #5 will be that you will cut your channels when you reach 3 stacks instead of 5. It's the general theme of this spec to generate just enough Electrified to hit the number of enemies that you want to dmg.
    • If you have 7+ targets you will be able to use 2 Lightning Field after a Lightning Arc if properly timed. Test it on the set of dummies in Tempest bay to get accustomed to the speed at which it spreads and generate a stack of Electrified.

Utilities:
    Note(s):
    Kalert:
    Spoiler!

Videos:
    Youtube video guide version (include 1 min rotations parses for ST and AE)

As always, if you have any question or if you see any mistake feel free to point them out. I try to answer every questions posted in here, my Youtube channel or in game via Heartbeat@Greybriar (Keep it short for in game questions). I hope this guide will be useful to a few mages out there.

You definately have a talent for writing these guides, that I seem to lack. They are always clear and concise.

Well done good sir!
    Illusive - EQ - retired, Illu - EQ2 - retired
    Illusive - Vanguard SoH - retired
    Illusive - AoC - retired
    Illusive - WoW - retired
    IllusiveEQ - Rift - current

RIFT Guide Writer

You just need to use lists more, Illusive. :P
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

Why would you even care casting AE abilities /hailstorm & eye of the storm/ on a single target encounter?
    Flux and Icicle are enough to maintain your Conductive medium at all times.
    And how exactly is Icicle not doing much damage when it can crit around 45-50k at around 6,5k SP? It's cooldown refreshes fairly often after a couple of air spells and raging storm to allow you to cast it quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    Why would you even care casting AE abilities /hailstorm & eye of the storm/ on a single target encounter?
    Flux and Icicle are enough to maintain your Conductive medium at all times.
    And how exactly is Icicle not doing much damage when it can crit around 45-50k at around 6,5k SP? It's cooldown refreshes fairly often after a couple of air spells and raging storm to allow you to cast it quite often.
    Hailstorm does ~30% more dmg then a Icicle and Eye of the Storm about ~40% more. You don't have the charges to use everything and not using Icicle gave, by a significant margin, the best results. Don't take my words for it and test it yourself if you want certitude.

Soulwalker

One thing you can do to keep track of Hailstorm and Eye of the Storm from Perfect Storm is to watch the timer on Static Flux. This assumes that Static Flux is refreshed right before Perfect Storm. If it's down near 2 seconds then they have ended.

Quote Originally Posted by IllusiveEQ View Post
    You definately have a talent for writing these guides, that I seem to lack. They are always clear and concise.

Well done good sir!
    Agree way better than my writing guides...
    Intim @ Zaviel EU
    Twitch Channel ,YouTube,Twitter

Plane Walker

For single target - if you can get into melee range it's worth being there to get some Storm's Fury slashes in, at priority 7.5 in the above list.
    Mantissa@Greybriar 7/8 raid tiers cleared <Rekt>

Default Thanks

Thanks for the guide, it was a huge help <3

Quote Originally Posted by drabk View Post
    For single target - if you can get into melee range it's worth being there to get some Storm's Fury slashes in, at priority 7.5 in the above list.
    That's true I just never had any use for it. You can macro it above Thunder Shock.

Rift Disciple

Holy ****, thank you.
    I HATE guides in RIFT that are just "SPAM THIS MACRO UNTIL X AND THEN SPAM THAT MACRO UNTIL Y".
    This is detailed in every possible relevant way.
    You explain the what, the why, and the why not while also providing macros that aren't just mindless autogrinds.

Champion of Telara

Yeah I enjoy Heartbeat's guides as they explain the why do this or that so it's much easier to learn the build and troubleshoot what you are doing wrong.

Intim @ Zaviel EU

Quote Originally Posted by Intim View Post
    You made a few mistake in both your rotations.
    • With a single target you want to maintain 5 stacks of Electrified since it buff ST dmg by 30%. Never use Lightning Field anywhere else then before a Static Flux.
    • For AoE there is no 'spam' macro. The goal is always to build stacks of Electrified and consume them with Lightning Field as soon as you can. You shouldn't even need to use Forked Lightning or Raging Storm on 8 targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Allmightyone View Post
    You made a few mistake in both your rotations.
    • With a single target you want to maintain 5 stacks of Electrified since it buff ST dmg by 30%. Never use Lightning Field anywhere else then before a Static Flux.
    • For AoE there is no 'spam' macro. The goal is always to build stacks of Electrified and consume them with Lightning Field as soon as you can. You shouldn't even need to use Forked Lightning or Raging Storm on 8 targets.
    i have failed you o wise one
    Intim @ Zaviel EU

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast