Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Learning Stormbinger in 3 steps

Default Learning Stormbinger in 3 steps

Name: The Stormbinger
    Type: Melee DPS, PvE only, no burst
    Mobility: 4/10 - Melee + immobile channel + low disconnect capability
    Requirement(s): SL souls

Once again we're back with a spec that's going to require above average awareness. This time however it won't be as subtle as Warlock where you were greatly influanced by raid CDs. You will need to keep track of many buffs and debuff so I strongly suggest that you either download Kalert or find a way to organize yourself in a way that will make tracking your ability easy for you.

I have to warn everyone that the way I am going to set my macros involve a decent amount of button smashing. What I mean by button smashing only refer to multiple key press per gcd. This might not be very efficient for you if you are using long ability queues with a methodic '1 push per gcd' type of play style. It is going to be up to you to edit everything in a way that's going to suit your style.

This is going to be different than my Warlock guide where we had the same spec every step of the way. What I'm doing with these steps is essentially taking out some of the things you would otherwise need to keep track of and optimize the rotation with that handicap in mind. The dps from step to step isn't going to be that far appart and you are way better off playing with the abilities you can manage over trying to play with abilities you can't properly deal with yet.

Step 1 - The beginner Stormbinger

Spec: 41SC/32Harb/3Ele
    Difficulty: 7/10 - Medium
    Crystal(s): Harbinger Crystal
    Buff(s): Eldritch Armor, Lightning Blade

Intro:
    For this first step we will disregard Blazing Light, Lucent Slash and Living Storm. None of those abilities have a huge impact on your dps so you really won't see a big difference playing this way. What is important to practice in this first step is how to properly deal with your EG procs. This is probably the most frustrating part of this build. This proc holds the key to how good your dps is going to be and it's very RNG dependant. There will be times where you will believe your armor is broken because you can't seem to get a proc but that's just part of how ****ty RNG can be.

Rotation:
    Pre-pull - Build 5 Electrified by using Static Flux

1 - Apply and maintain Storm Locus
    Simple enough. Just make sure you reapply it after it fall off.

2 - Apply and maintain Piercing Beam
    Nothing special about it. Just use it once every 30 seconds.

3 - EG procs
    You will get many procs and you want to make sure you use all of them before you get another proc. The priority list goes as follow Hailstorm > Vorpal Slash > Lightning Strike > Crystalline Missiles. They will all be part of a macro so you don't really have to learn the priority. For those new to how EG procs work you have to be aware that any ability talented to become an instant cast is able to benefit from the reduced GCD from the proc without consuming it. In this case it's going to lower the GCD of Hailstorm and Vorpal Slash to 0.5sec and make you spam that macro for up to 3 times. I use Kalerts to tell me which abilities are ready and hit my EG macro until all the icons are gone. For whatever trick will get it done for you just make sure you hit your macro the right amount of times. Here's the macro you'll use:

#show Vorpal Slash
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast [notactive] Charged Blade
    cast @gtae Hailstorm
    cast vorpal slash
    cast lightning strike
    cast Crystalline Missiles

4 - Raging Storm
    For now you just want to use it on CD. This should get you the charges you need to keep casting everything that's inside your EG macro on cooldown.

5 - Main spammer
    Just mash that hotkey when everything else is on CD or already applied on your target. Here's the main spam macro:

#show Storm's fury
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Storm's Fury
    cast Storm Slash
    cast Vengeful Shock
    cast Thunder Shock

Note(s):
    • You may choose to add 'stopcasting' at the end of your main spam macro if you have difficulty pressing your EG macro the right amount of times. Be careful not to prematurely stop your Raging Storm with it.
    • Thunder Shock will only cast if you are too far away from your target. Be sure to be in melee range.

Summary:
    Step 2 - The Stormbinger

Spec (not the same as before): 41SC/32Harb/3Ele
    Difficulty: 10/10 - Hard

Intro:
    This step isn't going to disregard any ability. There's a lot to track and to be aware of. This is going to be much harder then the previous step and you will need to practice properly tracking a few more debuffs. I think I also need to specify that what I call 'a hard spec' is relative to other specs. There's plenty of people (The more hardcore raiders) that won't consider it hard at all (they wouldn't be wrong either). The goal is not to scare anyone but mearly to have the newer/unsure/slower study start with something they can handle instead of losing faith going at it the wrong way.

Rotation:

Nothing special about it. Just use it once every 30 seconds.

3 - Apply and maintain Living Storm
    To maintain Living Storm you need to use Raging Storm every 15sec + duration of Raging Storm channel.

4 - Apply and maintain Blazing Light
    To maintain Blazing Light you will need to use Lucent Slash every 15s. Be aware that Lucent Slash has a bit of animation delay so don't wait until the very last second before casting. Ideally you want to refresh at 1sec (keep in mind that 0 is a full second) which is the last tick of dmg before the one that will have the buff fade away.

5 - Maintain Conductive Medium
    To maintain Conductive Medium stack you will have to toggle your Charged Blade off and put it back on. If you use the macro I'm giving out in this guide you will only need to toggle it off and your macros will make sure to reactivate it before any ability is used.

6 - EG procs
    Just like in step 1. Here's the macro you'll use:

#show Vorpal Slash
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @gtae Hailstorm
    cast vorpal slash
    cast lightning strike

7 - Raging Storm
    The most efficient way to use Raging Storm is to cut it off after 2sec. To make it easier on yourself you can choose to use the full channel as it will make refreshing your Living Storm less time sensitive and regen more charges that you might need if you aren't lucky with your EG procs. Use it on CD or following a EG proc if you can.

8 - Lucent Slash
    Use it to refresh Blazing Light or to aoe. If you need to aoe make sure to switch to Luminous Weapon.

9 - Main spammer
    Just like in step 1. Here's the main spam macro:

#show Storm's fury
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Storm's Fury
    cast Storm Slash
    cast Vengeful Shock
    cast Thunder Shock

Note(s):
    • You may choose to add 'stopcasting' at the end of your main spam macro if you have difficulty pressing your EG macro the right amount of times. Be careful not to prematurely stop your Raging Storm with it.
    • Thunder Shock will only cast if you are too far away from your target. Be sure to be in melee range.
    • Lucent Slash has a bit of animation delay so be careful not to wait too long to refresh your Blazing Light.
    • 0, 2 and 4 second are the 3 ticks of Raging Storm that will generate a Forked Lightning.

Summary:
    Step 3 - The advanced Stormbinger

Spec: 41SC/32Harb/3Ele
    Difficulty: 10/10 - Hard

Intro:
    Charge management! Charge management? Charge management. I'm sure by now you know what this step is all about. You are going to need to keep a close eye on your charges for this step to become a gain at all. This is simply about adding Icicle in your EG proc macro. In order for this charge dump to work you need to toggle Charged Blade on and off in order to always have the charges you need to cast Hailstorm. The idea is to have Charged Blade off on your lowest damaging slashing attacks and on for everything else. Piercing Beam and Storm Slash are the two spells you will be generating extra charges with. The method I used to toggle my Charged Blade may not suit everyone due to the amount of push per gcd required to do all the command in the macros. So here's how I dealt with this.

Rotation:

Same principle as before but this time we're going to toggle off Charged Blade before each cast with this macro:

#show Piercing Beam
    suppressmacrofailures
    cancelbuff Charged Blade
    cast Piercing Beam
    stopcasting

3 - Apply and maintain Living Storm
    To maintain Living Storm you need to use Raging Storm every 15sec + duration of Raging Storm channel. In the event that you let Living Storm fall off you will be using this macro:

#show Living Storm
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Living Storm

4 - Apply and maintain Blazing Light
    To maintain Blazing Light you will need to use Lucent Slash every 15s. Be aware that Lucent Slash has a bit of animation delay so don't wait until the very last second before casting. Ideally you want to refresh at 1sec (keep in mind that 0 is a full second) which is the last tick of dmg before the one that will have the buff fade away. In the event that you let Blazing Light fall off you will be using this macro:

#show Blazing Light
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Blazing Light

5 - Maintain Conductive Medium
    To maintain Conductive Medium stack you will have to toggle your Charged Blade off and put it back on. If you use the macro I'm giving out in this guide you will only need to toggle it off and your macros will make sure to reactivate it before any ability is used. This is the only part that should be easier to manage using this step. There will still be times where you get horrible EG rng and you will need to toggle it off/on again.

6 - EG procs
    Just like in step 1 and 2 you will use this macro until the proc is gone:

#show Vorpal Slash
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @gtae Hailstorm
    cast vorpal slash
    cast lightning strike
    cast Icicle

7 - Raging Storm
    You will only be using 2 seconds of the 4 second channel since cast Storm Slash without Charged Blade generate more charges and deal more dmg on top of allowing EG to proc. Here's the macro you will use:

#show Raging Storm
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Raging Storm

8 - Lucent Slash
    Use it to refresh Blazing Light or to aoe. If you need to aoe make sure to switch to Luminous Weapon. Use this macro:

#show Lucent Slash
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Lucent Slash
    stopcasting

9 - Main spammer
    Unlike step 1 and 2 you will have 2 spam macro. The first macro is going to be used when you are above 40 charges. Here's the macro

#show Storm's fury
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Storm's Fury
    cast Storm Slash
    cast Vengeful Shock
    cast Thunder Shock
    stopcasting

This second macro you are going to be using when your charges gets too low. Here's the macro:

#show cast Storm Slash
    suppressmacrofailures
    cancelbuff Charged Blade
    cast Storm Slash
    cast Vengeful Shock
    cast Thunder Shock
    stopcasting

Unfortunately you can't simply remove Charged Blade for every cast Storm Slash so this is where the spec gets interesting. Ideally you want your charges between 40 and 70 charges. You simply never want to run out of charges or waste any charges. Make sure you pay close attention to your charge bar.

Note(s):
    • Lucent Slash has a bit of animation delay so be careful not to wait too long to refresh your Blazing Light.
    • 0, 2 and 4 second are the 3 ticks of Raging Storm that will generate a Forked Lightning.
    • The only way to regain your 5 stacks of Electrified if there's a long downtime is to channel a full Raging Storm

Summary:
    Kalert:
    Spoiler!

Videos:
    WIP

As always, if you have any question or if you see any mistake feel free to point them out. I try to answer every questions posted in here, my Youtube channel or in game via Heartbeat@Greybriar (Keep it short for in game questions). I hope this guide will be useful to a few mages out there.

I won't be doing step 3 until I can test it on live servers. There's just so many macros and a lot of button press required and I just don't know if it's going to be viable yet. I will update as soon as possible. This is still the new top ST dps spec.

Going live next Wednesday...

Happy Learning

I have a question:

Why is there no Icicle in the procc-macro?
    It deals more damage then Crystaline Missiles.

#show Vorpal Slash
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @gtae Hailstorm
    cast vorpal slash
    cast lightning strike
    cast Icicle

PS: Typo in Step 2 Part 3
    Last edited by Kapnia; 07-12-2014 at 12:38 AM.
    RIP RIFT | <Transcendent> | Stream | [AddOn] PullTimer
    Trions business plan ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kapnia View Post
    I have a question:

Why is there no Icicle in the procc-macro?
    It deals more damage then Crystaline Missiles.

#show Vorpal Slash
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @gtae Hailstorm
    cast vorpal slash
    cast lightning strike
    cast Icicle

PS: Typo in Step 2 Part 3
    Because without proper charge management you would drain your charges so quickly you would rarely even be able to use Hailstorm. It is a small gain that will be part of step 3. Managing charges while maintaining all your dots and debuff is a lot harder then you'd think.

Shadowlander

Any reason why EG procs from Eldritch Armor is prefered over the 20% ST Damage increase for Air and Water ability from storm armor ?
    since Storm Armor would not be so RNG Dependent.
    I tried both pretty much the same dps, but i haven't really mastered handling EG procs very well yet , since you said it's the key to Stormbinger's DPS.

0.5s GCD Hailstorm
    0.5s GCD Vorpal Slash
    Instant Lightning Strike
    Instant Crystalline Misslies

That's what you loose, when using Storm Armor instead of Eldrith Armor. I don't think it is worth it.
    RIP RIFT | <Transcendent> | Stream | [AddOn] PullTimer
    Trions business plan ...

HB, how much dps one should aim for in this spec?
    Last edited by radiomaryja; 07-13-2014 at 04:18 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by radiomaryja View Post
    HB, how much dps one should aim for in this spec?
    I managed to do 37.7k dps in my live gear, crit power capped equipment, 3pt T3, T1 Wand, rest BiS T2. 200 ping, minor amount of rotational mistakes. 3 min time until I was oom.

Obviously this spec is not designed for ranged, so if you find yourself staying out of melee for prolonged periods of time you should just swap to Stormalist or Lock. That being said if you are going to be at ranged for more than a few GCDs you should swap to Storm Armor to help alleviate the DPS loss.

Just make sure you swap back to Eldritch Armor when you get back into melee.

Shadowlander

I found it significantly easier to keep up stacks of Conductive Medium by toggling off Charged Blade every time you Lucent Slash. It also gives you extra charge for icicles instead of Crystalline Missles. DPS gain? Maybe?

Edit: Or actually, it's probably better to use that extra charge for Static Flux.
    Last edited by CoffeeJelly; 07-13-2014 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bron2daZ View Post
    I managed to do 37.7k dps in my live gear, crit power capped equipment, 3pt T3, T1 Wand, rest BiS T2. 200 ping, minor amount of rotational mistakes. 3 min time until I was oom.
    With a mana pot + introspection, you can extend the parse out indefinately to help cancel out any high crit rng or low crit rng.

I tend to average 37k with the step 2 variant out to 10 minutes. (live gear, dummy foundry)

I also average 38K with what I assume is the step 3 advanced varaint weaving in icicle and smart toggling of charged blade.
    Illusive - EQ - retired, Illu - EQ2 - retired
    Illusive - Vanguard SoH - retired
    Illusive - AoC - retired
    Illusive - WoW - retired
    IllusiveEQ - Rift - current

You should average 32k with BiS test gear (dream orbs + enchants) with no consumables on 4m parses (using a mana pot)

Rift Disciple

Some Stormbinger discussion broke loose in the Callbiter thread. Thought I should rather answer here:

Quote Originally Posted by paschl View Post
    i dont disagree, stormbinger is by far the most interesting spec. but if were honest here its just busywork. advanced charge management and keeping track of short cds/debuffs etc.
    weve played harb/chon long enough to have basic skills in all those things.
    maybe im misjudging it but except for weaving in icicles and the charge management it feels like this spec is way more practice than finesse dependant.
    maybe im just grumpy.

and does kervik really plan on letting charged blade give us conductive medium stacks? that just feels broken.
    I honestly think the body rotation of Stormbinger is way more complex compared to Harbinger.
    Often it might be really beneficial to refresh Blazing Light way too early because you're already waiting for an EG proc for multiple GCDs and you can foresee that refreshing Blazing Light last second would result in delayed Storm's Fury, suboptimal use of Raging Storm(not during EG ICD) or a mixture of several things.

If optimizing Harbinger is playing 8-ball, optimizing Stormbinger is Snooker.

I'm just sad that there's no EA, because I liked the metamorphosis.

I'm also happy that we don't have a tool to increase our Harbinger ability range temporarily.

He's right saying that there's no finess to the spec. It's all about doing the best with the rng procs you get while doing your rotation. You don,t have a CD to hold for any burst or anything to do when raid CD are active. It's just about knowing your rotation and performing while dodging fire.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Allmightyone View Post
    He's right saying that there's no finess to the spec. It's all about doing the best with the rng procs you get while doing your rotation. You don,t have a CD to hold for any burst or anything to do when raid CD are active. It's just about knowing your rotation and performing while dodging fire.
    Tbh with 2 min CD on both EA and Orchestra/Oracle spell that has the same effect and a 1 min CD on Wild Growth/Energy Core I'll use EA on cooldown and when my support doesn't use it asap when it's available I'll

a) Flame him until he's doing it right
    b) Flame him until he quits playing support and someone else does it right

So there's really no finesse there. Same for Warlock. I'll always use ED the second it's available and assume that my support's competent enough to monitor their CD and save the GCD for as soon as it's ready(I don't even know if Orcestra is on a GCD)+
    This way it's always lined up. And if it's not then it's something that's planned before and I'll simply adapt and then it lines up again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast