+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Mage PvP Specs. My List.

Default Mage PvP Specs. My List.

Feel free to argue.

For mages, we have a lot of specs which are viable for pvp. Most of these are 61 pt specs. Hybrid playstyles aren't as viable for mages as they used to be (There are a few exceptions). Here's a list of builds I use:

61 Pyromancer/variants... Single target burst DPS. A precision playstyle. Min/Max build. Mobility Build.

61 Dominator/11 Stormcaller/4 Warlork... AOE dps. Resource Denial. Our premier utility spec.

61 Chloromancer/lock/archon... AOE/Single target heals with moderate cleansing abilities. My chloro build.

61 Harbinger/11 Pyromancer/4 Chloromancer... Melee burst single target dps with range capabilities 50% of the time. Incredible mobility. Powerful CDs. Terrible stealth ability. Harbinger.

61 Warlock/15 Pyromancer/0 Archon... Excellent warfront pugging build. Highest DPS potential of all our specs (2-4k dps over a WF as suppose to a pyro's 1.2-1.5k dps). Dot spreading increases effectiveness of Dominators on your team. Decent survivability and utility (Fear spam is more annoying than squirrel spam). Solid Burst with a bit of build up time. Not a lot to macro here so be prepared for a lot of buttons.

61 Necromancer/15 Elementalist/0 Harbinger(or Archon)... Better than full ratard (61 Elementalist). Solid AOE pet dps. Powerful CDs which burn through healers (Possession is clunky at best). 1 button macro spamming with Charge micro management. Utility is lacking. Low mobility. Not Full Ratard.

40 Archon/36 Pyromancer/0 Harbinger... Raid/Self buffs, Incredible AOE cleanse/debuff (use macro: cast @gtae Cleansing Flames), Turret burst dps on par with pre-nerf tempest (yes, really), moderate utility abilities. Pyrochon.

39 Harbinger/ 37 Chloromancer/0 Archon... This spec can go toe to toe with any class/role. Self heals/cleanse. Sustainable melee dps. Group healing is not as effective as 61 Chloromancer. Our premier Dueling spec.

50 Chloromancer/26 Dominator/0 Archon... Can be argued as a more effective healing spec than 61 Chloromancer. Excellent AOE heals. Minimal single target heals. Crowd Control via Transmorgrify. Powerful AOE science. Moderate utility compared to it's 61 Dom counterpart. Someone like Reismmey could expand more on this. Chlorodom.
    Last edited by Fryday; 03-11-2014 at 09:12 AM.

are there any stormcaller builds for pvp?

Pretty sure stormcaller is mainly AOE and AOE damaged was nerfed in pvp so i wouldn't think there is a SC pvp build i could be wrong on all this as well
    Ludis 60 mage
    Riptoken 60 Rogue
    Padq 35 Cleric
    Morbordum 26 warrior

RE: 61 Dom, 6 Necro / 9 SC. Ride the Wind is amazing but Consumption on 1s GCD is just too good to ignore. I am also curious why you don't have points in Scattered Bolts. Electrify is a spammable, stacking debuff on 8 targets that is cleansable. Without it Dom is significantly weaker.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Fryday View Post
    Feel free to argue.

For mages, we have a lot of specs which are viable for pvp. Most of these are 61 pt specs. Hybrid playstyles aren't as viable for mages as they used to be (There are a few exceptions). Here's a list of builds I use:

61 Pyromancer/variants... Single target burst DPS. A precision playstyle. Min/Max build. Mobility Build.

61 Dominator/11 Stormcaller/4 Warlork... AOE dps. Resource Denial. Our premier utility spec.

61 Chloromancer/lock/archon... AOE/Single target heals with moderate cleansing abilities. My chloro build.

61 Harbinger/11 Pyromancer/4 Chloromancer... Melee burst single target dps with range capabilities 50% of the time. Incredible mobility. Powerful CDs. Terrible stealth ability. Harbinger.

61 Warlock/15 Pyromancer/0 Archon... Excellent warfront pugging build. Highest DPS potential of all our specs (2-4k dps over a WF as suppose to a pyro's 1.2-1.5k dps). Dot spreading increases effectiveness of Dominators on your team. Decent survivability and utility (Fear spam is more annoying than squirrel spam). Solid Burst with a bit of build up time. Not a lot to macro here so be prepared for a lot of buttons.

61 Necromancer/15 Elementalist/0 Harbinger(or Archon)... Better than full ratard (61 Elementalist). Solid AOE pet dps. Powerful CDs which burn through healers (Possession is clunky at best). 1 button macro spamming with Charge micro management. Utility is lacking. Low mobility. Not Full Ratard.

40 Archon/36 Pyromancer/0 Harbinger... Raid/Self buffs, Incredible AOE cleanse/debuff (use macro: cast @gtae Cleansing Flames), Turret burst dps on par with pre-nerf tempest (yes, really), moderate utility abilities. Pyrochon.

39 Harbinger/ 37 Chloromancer/0 Archon... This spec can go toe to toe with any class/role. Self heals/cleanse. Sustainable melee dps. Group healing is not as effective as 61 Chloromancer. Our premier Dueling spec.

50 Chloromancer/26 Dominator/0 Archon... Can be argued as a more effective healing spec than 61 Chloromancer. Excellent AOE heals. Minimal single target heals. Crowd Control via Transmorgrify. Powerful AOE science. Moderate utility compared to it's 61 Dom counterpart. Someone like Reismmey could expand more on this. Chlorodom.
    Thanks for the amazing guide! I would like to ask a few questions however..

the 39 harb/37 chloro you said can go toe to toe with any class. Is that one of those classes that's hard to take down one on one due to it's survivability? And does it rely on more melee than casting for offense?

Also why is the 50 chloro and 26 dom known as a better heal spec? Is it because of the buff/cast buffs it has?

Telaran

The reason I also ask is because you didnt spec for Natures touch and that's a pretty good spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    RE: 61 Dom, 6 Necro / 9 SC. Ride the Wind is amazing but Consumption on 1s GCD is just too good to ignore. I am also curious why you don't have points in Scattered Bolts. Electrify is a spammable, stacking debuff on 8 targets that is cleansable. Without it Dom is significantly weaker.
    You're absolutely right! I think your version would be much better for 5v5s whereas having the mobility of Ride the Wind will put you in the right place at the right time in regular wfs. I overlooked using electrify as a buffer for our big CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafan View Post
    The reason I also ask is because you didnt spec for Natures touch and that's a pretty good spell.
    Yep, Chloroharb is very versitle 1v1. It turns duels or 1v1, 1v2, etc into a chess game like playstyle. You really have to watch your Eldrich Armor from being removed as that greatly reduces your survivability/dps.

As for Chlorodom, I personally don't use this spec much as I would rather go 61 Dominator to (try) shut down the other teams healers or 61 Chloro for well timed Veil swapping.
    Last edited by Fryday; 03-11-2014 at 11:08 PM.

Eldritch Armor can be purged?

Quote Originally Posted by Zafan View Post
    That build need in some tweaking. Just a few pts to other places. Natures Touch is a must, and no need 3 pts on Nature`s Swiftness, due to eldritch armor proc. Natural swiftness also a must, and I would suggest talented conditional response as well.

Eldritch armor can be purged, but you can protect it with searing vitality.
    Sheona/Faynee <VANEN> , <Apotheosys>

I thought soul-defining buffs couldn't be purged. Spiritual Scrutiny and Turn the Blade can't be.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodian View Post
    That build need in some tweaking. Just a few pts to other places. Natures Touch is a must, and no need 3 pts on Nature`s Swiftness, due to eldritch armor proc. Natural swiftness also a must, and I would suggest talented conditional response as well.

Eldritch armor can be purged, but you can protect it with searing vitality.
    I prefer Vile Spores for the dot ticks. However, your adjustments are great and is probably more optimal.

I'm a returning player and just getting up to speed on pvp with my mage. As such I've not touched Harbringer yet. Can anyone give me pointers on how to play the 39-Harb spec here, or maybe point me to where I can find more?
    Traxy's Ribs and Wings Bar

Telaran

61 Pyromancer/variants... Single target burst DPS. A precision playstyle. Min/Max build.
    Isn't 10 points in necro better than elementalist?
    10 points in necromancer gives 5% damage and 5% spell power.
    I personally use 61 pyro/10 necro/ 5 archon(since i don't have harb).

What are it's advantages compared to 61 pyro?
    Also can you explain to me the spell(burst) rotation of this build?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly Mak View Post
    Isn't 10 points in necro better than elementalist?
    10 points in necromancer gives 5% damage and 5% spell power.
    I personally use 61 pyro/10 necro/ 5 archon(since i don't have harb).

What are it's advantages compared to 61 pyro?
    Also can you explain to me the spell(burst) rotation of this build?
    Because mages lack the crit chance that the other 3 classes have, 5% crit is huge. IMO it doesn't matter too much what the off souls are. I like harb and ele because you get 10% sp, 5% crit, and 5% damage.

The advantage compared to 61 pyro is that your big burst cds are 15 secs as suppose to 30-45.

Typical burst set up would be. Fire spells to proc Cinderburst. Time Spark Shower with CB and Count Down and either inferno or flame bolt.

You also buff your team. 61 pyro does not. You can mass cleanse/debuff on a whim.

Telaran

Can you give me your opinion on this spec Fryday?

http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zcaRxgsVz0zVxvldzuqAsc0sbR 48 Chloro/28 Dominator/0 Stormcaller

Don't get me wrong, I know it's lacking in many major healing components and no where near the most powerful in heals, but since going all 61 chloro can be difficult in survivability in WF's, I gave this a shot to kinda even out things when your Chloro is in tough situations.

Like I said, you don't have nearly as many healing outlets, however you get two knockbacks (thunderblast and electrocute) with decent damage, you get 2 (Well more like 1.5) silences with AP and PL, you get your instant cast transmorgify along with its fast cast buff and its 20% buff as well, and storm shackle root.

As I said it doesn't do the best healing and lacks any major buffs, however in a warfront it may help you get outta tough situations. Perhaps this would be a good mage spec for 5v5?

Please don't be too harsh because i'm still kinda new with messing with specs. Tell me what you think of this?
    Last edited by Zafan; 03-14-2014 at 12:20 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast