+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Mage PvP Specs. My List.

  1. #16
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fryday View Post
    Because mages lack the crit chance that the other 3 classes have, 5% crit is huge. IMO it doesn't matter too much what the off souls are. I like harb and ele because you get 10% sp, 5% crit, and 5% damage.

    The advantage compared to 61 pyro is that your big burst cds are 15 secs as suppose to 30-45.

    Typical burst set up would be. Fire spells to proc Cinderburst. Time Spark Shower with CB and Count Down and either inferno or flame bolt.

    You also buff your team. 61 pyro does not. You can mass cleanse/debuff on a whim.
    Just tried it, Cinderburst's damage matched Fulminate and Volcanic Bomb> Earthen Barrage> Spark Shower gave me slightly more damage than Fusillade.

    However why do you prefer to not take Burning Bonds (with Unbreakable Bonds) and Backdraft. Also isn't Ravenous Flames and Spell Bore useful in pvp?
    Last edited by Deadly Mak; 03-14-2014 at 10:37 AM.

  2. #17
    Rift Chaser Fryday's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zafan View Post
    Can you give me your opinion on this spec Fryday?

    http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zcaRxgsVz0zVxvldzuqAsc0sbR 48 Chloro/28 Dominator/0 Stormcaller
    That is a solid spec. You're heals will not be as strong as 61 chloro. I understand a lot of players hesitation on going with 61 chloro in pvp. It's all about positioning and keeping up ticks of vile spore/ruin as well as corrosive. A solid strat for any chloro variant is use enemy pets as "heal batteries". Enemy pets are super useful when using Nature's splender as they take vary little damage from aoe. Pets also tend to attack the back line so you can be safe from pull but at the same time heal your team.

    With any Chlorodom spec be prepared to use arresting presence a lot. With the increased cast time of ccing someone, my strat is tab a new target for each of the 3-4 vile spoors you throw out. That way you have multiple ticks for 6ish secs of group hots.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadly Mak View Post
    Just tried it, Cinderburst's damage matched Fulminate and Volcanic Bomb> Earthen Barrage> Spark Shower gave me slightly more damage than Fusillade.

    However why do you prefer to not take Burning Bonds (with Unbreakable Bonds) and Backdraft. Also isn't Ravenous Flames and Spell Bore useful in pvp?
    Choosing Ravenous Flames is a choice between 9% less resist and Improved Flame bolt and Wild Fire. The latter is more bang for your buck. Same is Spell bore. You're trying to get all the best stuff in archon.

    Also remember the real reason for taking pyrochon. Come across any stalemates and you can debuff the poop out of the other team and cleanse all those pesky Dominator abilities.
    Last edited by Fryday; 03-14-2014 at 12:21 PM.

  3. #18
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fryday View Post
    That is a solid spec. You're heals will not be as strong as 61 chloro. I understand a lot of players hesitation on going with 61 chloro in pvp. It's all about positioning and keeping up ticks of vile spore/ruin as well as corrosive. A solid strat for any chloro variant is use enemy pets as "heal batteries". Enemy pets are super useful when using Nature's splender as they take vary little damage from aoe. Pets also tend to attack the back line so you can be safe from pull but at the same time heal your team.

    With any Chlorodom spec be prepared to use arresting presence a lot. With the increased cast time of ccing someone, my strat is tab a new target for each of the 3-4 vile spoors you throw out. That way you have multiple ticks for 6ish secs of group hots.



    Choosing Ravenous Flames is a choice between 9% less resist and Improved Flame bolt and Wild Fire. The latter is more bang for your buck. Same is Spell bore. You're trying to get all the best stuff in archon.

    Also remember the real reason for taking pyrochon. Come across any stalemates and you can debuff the poop out of the other team and cleanse all those pesky Dominator abilities.
    Thank you so much for all the help Fryday!

  4. #19
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fryday View Post
    my strat is tab a new target for each of the 3-4 vile spoors you throw out. That way you have multiple ticks for 6ish secs of group hots.
    didn't read most of it, but spores only heals on the initial hit and first dot tick. the rest is pure dps only.

  5. #20
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fryday View Post
    That is a solid spec. You're heals will not be as strong as 61 chloro. I understand a lot of players hesitation on going with 61 chloro in pvp. It's all about positioning and keeping up ticks of vile spore/ruin as well as corrosive. A solid strat for any chloro variant is use enemy pets as "heal batteries". Enemy pets are super useful when using Nature's splender as they take vary little damage from aoe. Pets also tend to attack the back line so you can be safe from pull but at the same time heal your team.

    With any Chlorodom spec be prepared to use arresting presence a lot. With the increased cast time of ccing someone, my strat is tab a new target for each of the 3-4 vile spoors you throw out. That way you have multiple ticks for 6ish secs of group hots.



    Choosing Ravenous Flames is a choice between 9% less resist and Improved Flame bolt and Wild Fire. The latter is more bang for your buck. Same is Spell bore. You're trying to get all the best stuff in archon.

    Also remember the real reason for taking pyrochon. Come across any stalemates and you can debuff the poop out of the other team and cleanse all those pesky Dominator abilities.
    So I messed with the build I posted.

    http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zcaRxTRVz0zVxvldcusAsscs0R

    Here, if you notice, that I only put 2 points in the transmorgify talent which rather having no cooldown, I made it a 5 second and with THAT made this macro..


    cast Ruin
    cast transmorgify
    cast nature's touch
    cast vile spores

    I tested this out on mobs and it actually is pretty interesting compared to damage of a full 61. Though as previously said, the healing isn't as good for sure, HOWEVER with that transmorgify hitting every 5 seconds, you are constantly getting that less than 1 second cast of natures touch/vilespores for 5 seconds. The speed makes up for damage lost with this spec. Maybe not completely, but it's nice to have.

  6. #21
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fryday View Post
    Also remember the real reason for taking pyrochon. Come across any stalemates and you can debuff the poop out of the other team and cleanse all those pesky Dominator abilities.
    So do you not recommend replacing 61 pyro with pyrochon?
    The only three things we lose is backdraft, burning bonds and flashfire but doesnt cleansing flames make up for that?

    I used to use that mobility spec for pyro in 55-59 warfronts. It helped me take up the role of an mobile assassin specializing in hunting down enemy objective carriers. Usually a Fulminate + Fusillade combo could do about 70% of target's(non tank) HP if one of the spell's crit with Flameburst and inferno finishing the job. However that doesn't seem to actually work in level 60 warfronts. You would end up being killed by the objective carrier as the burst you put up is little compared to the enemy health.

    Some stuffs i like about Pyrochon is it deals comparatively more damage when it's damaging spells also buffs your raid. However i will not compare it to pre-nerf tempest, that stuff could probably one shot players.

    One thing i hate about this spec is you have rebuff every 5 minutes. I don't understand why they can't make the Aura's last 1 hour like other buffs.
    Last edited by Deadly Mak; 03-17-2014 at 05:28 AM.

  7. #22
    Rift Chaser Enthusiast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Just wanted to say thanks for this. I'm an altoholic so I've tried to keep it simple with my mage and stuck mainly with 61 pyro/15 lock (for the opportunity procs), 61 chloro/15 lock (for the opportunity procs), 61 lock variants (since the changes) and dabbled in Dom variants. I like the mobility variant on Pyro, I think this may become my go-to Pyro spec. I don't raid so I didn't know the power of Pyrochon until now. When I think of the mage archetype I think of a turret based damage dealer which Pyrochon definitely is, so thanks! The Rift forums need more posts like this.

  8. #23
    Rift Chaser Fryday's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks for this. I'm an altoholic so I've tried to keep it simple with my mage and stuck mainly with 61 pyro/15 lock (for the opportunity procs), 61 chloro/15 lock (for the opportunity procs), 61 lock variants (since the changes) and dabbled in Dom variants. I like the mobility variant on Pyro, I think this may become my go-to Pyro spec. I don't raid so I didn't know the power of Pyrochon until now. When I think of the mage archetype I think of a turret based damage dealer which Pyrochon definitely is, so thanks! The Rift forums need more posts like this.
    Thanks for the positive feedback!

    In light of the 3v3 tourney my guild is putting together, I've had a great opportunity to hash out some interesting 2v2 and 3v3 comps for mages. I was able to practice with a rogue last night against a defiler and Puri. Dominator/Sin was my favorite. Pyrochon and NB was great as well.

  9. #24
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    88

    Default

    I frequently have a second archon in my team whose archon buffs overwrite mine. Do i still get the bonus like reduced cast time, increased damage and defence from the talents when that happens?

  10. #25
    Plane Touched Sinsalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fryday View Post

    39 Harbinger/ 37 Chloromancer/0 Archon... This spec can go toe to toe with any class/role. Self heals/cleanse. Sustainable melee dps. Group healing is not as effective as 61 Chloromancer. Our premier Dueling spec.
    Where did you pull this one from? I remember seeing this printed in a guide, and can no longer find the guide. I believe the guide listed what crystals or trinkets he used along with macros.

  11. #26
    Rift Chaser Faithful86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    337

    Default

    Any chance you can include some play style tips/macros for some of those posted specs? I just got back into things on my mage pvp wise but feel kinda lost still and have so far been using my PVE old pyro and chloro specs to muddle through but I'd like to improve
    Duh.

  12. #27
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    159

    Default

    61 Chloro / 15 Arbiter / 0 Harbinger

    32.5% Endurance from Arbiter vs 10% from Warlock
    30% Armor from Arbiter vs 0% from Warlock
    30% Resist from Arbiter vs 0% from Warlock
    12.5% Damage done from Arbiter vs 7.5% Damage done + 15% DoT damage done from Warlock
    5% Healing done from Arbiter vs 0% from Warlock
    10% Intelligence bonus from Arbiter vs 0% from Warlock
    15% Charge gain from Arbiter vs 25% from Warlock
    0% instant-cast chance from Arbiter vs 10% from Warlock

    The only advantages Warlock provides over Arbiter is a slightly faster charge gain and a small chance to instant cast one spell. In terms of survivability and healing output going 15 Arbiter beats 15 Warlock hands down.

  13. #28
    Sword of Telara
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Proin Drakenzol View Post
    61 Chloro / 15 Arbiter / 0 Harbinger

    32.5% Endurance from Arbiter vs 10% from Warlock
    30% Armor from Arbiter vs 0% from Warlock
    30% Resist from Arbiter vs 0% from Warlock
    12.5% Damage done from Arbiter vs 7.5% Damage done + 15% DoT damage done from Warlock
    5% Healing done from Arbiter vs 0% from Warlock
    10% Intelligence bonus from Arbiter vs 0% from Warlock
    15% Charge gain from Arbiter vs 25% from Warlock
    0% instant-cast chance from Arbiter vs 10% from Warlock

    The only advantages Warlock provides over Arbiter is a slightly faster charge gain and a small chance to instant cast one spell. In terms of survivability and healing output going 15 Arbiter beats 15 Warlock hands down.
    nice list, but some data is wrong or missing.
    - tank souls dont receive any dps gifts in pvp, therefore arb gives 8% damage (raging flood and arbiters training (3%, since we are using life based skills)).
    - warlock gives 15% damage by its soul gift, look ingame not at faulty soul calculators.
    - once you put life leech on the target you get constant heals from it and since it will be refreshed by vile spores, you get constant extra heal procs. there is a reason why this was the best subsoul for lgv chloros.
    - opportunity not only gives a 10% chance to insta-cast spells, it gives you a 1s gcd as well. since chloro has 1.5s gcd and is using long cast time spells most of the time, this is a big bonus.

    when ppl went aoe healing in raids they used the lock variant, because the healing output is higher. and since higher healing output means more survivability i wouldnt be sure that arb beats lock here.

  14. #29
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xirxe View Post
    nice list, but some data is wrong or missing.
    - tank souls dont receive any dps gifts in pvp, therefore arb gives 8% damage (raging flood and arbiters training (3%, since we are using life based skills)).
    Where are you getting that data from? Also, I'm not using Arbiter's Training.

    - warlock gives 15% damage by its soul gift, look ingame not at faulty soul calculators.
    My mistake.

    - once you put life leech on the target you get constant heals from it and since it will be refreshed by vile spores, you get constant extra heal procs. there is a reason why this was the best subsoul for lgv chloros.
    1) This is only true if you spec Improved Life Leech and Lingering Pain. The PvP spec doesn't put points into those abilities.

    2) 10 SC / 5 Harb outheals 10 'lock / 5 harb/SC on AoE due to the spellpower increase.

    - opportunity not only gives a 10% chance to insta-cast spells, it gives you a 1s gcd as well. since chloro has 1.5s gcd and is using long cast time spells most of the time, this is a big bonus.
    The GCD reduction only benefits Vile Spores and Nature's Fury. The cast reduction only really benefits Natural Healing and Vile Spores. Bloom, Flourish, Essence Surge, and Nature's Touch will already have a 1s GCD.

    when ppl went aoe healing in raids they used the lock variant, because the healing output is higher. and since higher healing output means more survivability i wouldnt be sure that arb beats lock here.
    This is both outdated and not relevant to PvP.

  15. #30
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    166

    Default Hey Fryday

    Hey I used to pvp against you a lot a couple years ago . I am just coming back from swtor since the lack of cross server is just really killing the pvp in that game and I miss the pvp in Rift.

    Is stormcaller still viable in some situations? I mainly pyro'd, chloro'd, dom'd, and chloro/locked but I really loved busting out stormcaller in some warfronts and to ruin people's raid rifting fun . Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts