Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Learning Warlock in 3 steps

Default Learning Warlock in 3 steps

Name: The Warlock
    Difficulty: 9/10 - Hard
    Type: Ranged ST DPS + cleave
    Requirement(s): SL souls / None
    Crystal(s): Warlock Crystal
    The spec(s): 61 warlock / 9 Necro / 6 Harbinger or 61 warlock / 10 Necro / 5 Chloro
    Buffs: Warlock Armor, Neddra's Might, Lightning Blade

Hey guys this is the first public written guide I make. I will attempt to show you how to properly use warlock by doing a step by step process for the new and veteran player alike. For all of you advanced warlock player out there please keep reading past the first step, or skip it entirely, before making comments about how it is not optimized. I believe the final step is very much optimized and if not, let me know what you think/know is better so we can get some good theory crafting going in here.

I realize it's a big read but I've been answering many question about Warlock over the past few weeks so I thought I'd give as much information as I can in one big post.

First thing first, the spec. The spec you will want to use is the 61 warlock / 9 Necro / 6 Harbinger variant. Why this one over the 61 warlock / 10 Necro / 5 Chloro? Because the two specs only match dps when at cap crit power and even then Harbinger offer some nice slashing attack for melee mobility as well as better dmgs for awful crit rng (Because crit chance is just that, a chance). If you want to justify using the chloro variant make sure it's for the right reason, the free fluff aoe healing.

3/3 Flesh Rot vs 2/3 Flesh Rot
    Both variation will come very close in overall DPS. 3/3 Flesh Rot is better for aoe and multidotting. 2/3 Flesh Rot is better for single target. The idea behind 3/3 Flesh Rot is to get 1 extra dot tick per radiate aoe over 16 sec and to save a few GCD per 5mins when multidotting. Honestly no matter the one you pick you won't see a big difference on your parses so chose the one that feels right to you.

Timing:
    The timing of your refresher abilities will always be refering to your Necrosis duration (14s) unless stated otherwise. If you use 3/3 in flesh rot the timing will be off by 2 second (so mentally add 2 second if you do).

Step 1 - Refreshing DoTs + Basic spam macro + Procs

Intro:
    This first step is very basic and Warlock will only really start to be efficient when you master the second step. The goal here is to give you a feel for the spec and give you some good habits in terms of refreshing your dots and using your procs. For this reason we will disregard cooldown management for the time being.

Rotation:
    First you will apply all 5 of your Warlock dots: Life Leech, Necrosis, Atrophy, Dark Touch and Defile.

You will be refreshing your DoTs with the following macro before Necrosis fall off every time. Try to refresh only when there's between 0 and 5 sec left to your Necrosis. Refreshing too early may cause your dots to fall off if you do not have your refresher CD back in time.

#show Void barrage
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Void Barrage
    cast Persist

Refreshing your DoTs only represent about 15-20% of your rotation. When you do not need to refresh anything you will be using your procs as you get them with the following macro. Consuming Agony procs and Opportunity procs do not stack and gaining a Opportunity proc will overwrite an existing Consuming Agony proc. This is not a bug but just the way it currently is. The quicker you are at using your procs the less you should see those 2 procs overwrite each other.

#show Consuming Agony
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Consuming Agony
    cast Void Bolt

Whenever you have an Opportunity or Consuming Agony proc you need to hit this macro. Your main spam macro have some instant cast ability on top of your Void Bolt and it may lead to wasting an Opportunity proc if Consuming Agony is on CD and you don't have Void Bolt somewhere on your bar. This macro prevents that by making it a simple 'good-for-every-proc' button.

Next on your rotation is Blazing Light. Blazing Light does not increase the dmgs of some of your Warlock abilities like all your other DoTs does because it is not death based (See Void Decimation and Improved Draining Bolt). For this reason you will only need to refresh it after it fades away. In rift 0 second, or as it's vanishing from your target, is a dmg tick. You need to wait until it is fully off your target before reapplying it. So put Blazing Light somewhere on your ability bar. Do not reapply a Blazing Light over using a proc or refreshing your dots.

Finaly, your main spam macro. The following macro will work while you are moving. In fact, your entire rotation will not change regardless of movement. Obviously, standing still is more dmgs and you should always try to stand still as much as possible thus trying to minimize movement (or making it faster via insoles) being a dps gain.

#show Void Bolt
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Conflux
    cast Draining Bolt
    cast Neddra's Torture
    cast Void Bolt
    cast Consuming Agony
    cast Neddra's Grasp
    cast Storm's Fury
    cast Storm Slash
    cast Desecrate
    cast Blazing Light
    cast Empowered Darkness
    cast Sacrifice Life: Damage

This is what you will be spamming most of the time. Everything bellow Void Bolt will only cast if you are moving. Empowered Darkness (ED) can not be overwritten by Contaminate or Sacrifice Life: Damage (SLD).

Death's Door and sub 50% rotation
    Sub 50% you get another proc ability called Death's Door. Idealy you want to keep it as long as you can on your target so you should try to use a refresh everytime DD is at 1 or 0 second. Don't worry too much about this ability this early in your learning curve but do try your best to keep it up as much as you can and reapply it everytime it falls off. This will be the 'hardest' part of your rotation and since this is only the first step you can keep using your refreshers as you were doing before and manualy refresh Death's Door when it's available.

AOE:
    Let us talk AOE. When adds are spawning around your target you simply need to use Radiate Death every 20 sec. If you are starting a trash pack and you want to aoe it simply pick the mob with the most HP in the middle of the pack and start your single target rotation on it. Once you have all 5 dots on it use Radiate Death and your refresh macro. You will be keeping your DoTs on that target so refresh once every 13 seconds. You will not be spamming your main single target spam macro but instead you will use your 2 aoe abilities. Mortality will do the most dmgs but has a smaller range and cost charges. Devouring Shadows is a ground effect aoe that you will place over the enemy pack.

Dual Target Dotting
    At this point in your learning process we will not concern ourselves with this. But, if you really do want to try it you may use the following macro and track Necrosis on your focus target. You need to have your secondary target focused and double tap this macro when there's 1 sec left (or more if you need to cast early because you have a Void Barrage coming up) on Necrosis .

#show Salvage Corruption
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @focus Salvage Corruption
    cast @focus Deathly Pall

Summary:
    - Apply 5 dots
    - Refresh before Necrosis fall off
    - Use procs as soon as you can
    - Cast Blazing Light if not on target
    - Mash your main spam.

Step 2 - Dancing with Cooldowns + Better Death's Door + Dual target

Intro:
    Once refreshing your dots and using your procs become an easy task for you, you are ready to add some complexity to your rotation and pad the dps meter a little better. There isn't much change from step 1 to step two aside from a few spells inside your macros and the addition of some cooldown management. I will go into more details about dual target dotting and Death's Door management / transition.

Rotation:
    Before Pull you will get 100 charge using Devouring Shadows on the ground. Like before you will apply all 5 of your warlock DoTs only this time you will follow this order:

Life Leech > Defile > Necrosis > Dark Touch > Atrophy

Why this particular order? It's in order of strongest to weakest dmg per tick. Atrophy will deal smaller amount of dmgs at first and increase more toward the end and since you are refreshing your dots with Void Barrage as soon as you are done applying them it will deal the least dmgs in that small amount of time. Defile will consume charges but it will also give you the 3% critical chance buff which is not that insignificant. Dark Touch and Necrosis are very, very close in dmgs so it will not matter much which is first.

As soon as you finish casting your 5th dot you can proc your Empowered Darkness, cast Conflux and then cast Void Barrage.

The basic behind your cooldown management is to follow the simple order of effectiveness. Empowered Darkness is a bigger gain then Sacrifice Life: Damage and Sacrifice Life: Damage is a bigger gain then Contaminate. However there's ways to make better/different usage of them but this will be explained in the third and final step. The idea is to always have either Empowered Darkness, Sacrifice Life: Damage or Contaminate active at any time.

Past this point your rotation is very similar to what you were doing in step 1 but with the addition of your cooldowns that you will manage on the side.

You still use this macro for all your procs.

#show Consuming Agony
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Consuming Agony
    cast Void Bolt

You still reapply Blazing Light after it fades but not over refreshing your dots or using a proc.

Your main spam macro is slightly different now. Obviously we don't want Contaminate or Empowered Darkness in there anymore since we are using them more effectively now. Your Macro will look like this:

#show Void Bolt
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Conflux
    cast Draining Bolt
    cast Neddra's Torture
    cast Void Bolt
    cast Consuming Agony
    cast Neddra's Grasp
    cast Storm's Fury
    cast Storm Slash
    cast Desecrate
    cast Blazing Light

You can now add Neddra's Grasp to your bar as well. Not every encounter will get the full benefit (or any benefit) out of this ability but you should be able to find out by testing and the rest is up to your better judgement. You need at least 3 procs for it to be a neutral gain. Neddra's Grasp also spread with Radiate so you can / should also use it for aoe.

Death's Door and sub 50% rotation
    Sub 50% you get another proc ability called Death's Door. Ideally you want to keep it as long as you can on your target so you will refresh it every time DD or Necrosis is at 1 or 0 second. This is ratter simple when your 2 refreshers' CD are within 6-7 seconds of each other. The problem when you first get to 50% is that it is rarely the case. You have 2 choice to deal with this. First, you can luck out and apply your DD when there's 6 sec to Necrosis and just wait till they both get to, preferably, 1 or 0 sec to refresh. This should give some time to your second refresher to line up with the second DD timer. Your second option is to use Salvage Corruption and Deathly Pall when your first DD or Necrosis is at 1 second. This will give plenty of time for both your refreshers to get in line with your needed DD timing.

Bottom line, refresh when Death's Door or Necrosis is at 1 or 0 second. Don't forget to weave in your cooldowns.

AOE:
    Nothing change for aoe. See step 1 for more info.

Dual Target Dotting
    Dual Dotting is actualy easier then it seems. You can macro Salvage Corruption and Deathly Pall, see the following macro, to cast at focus and you simply keep your secondary target focused and use a Kalert (or a sharp eye) to track your Necrosis and you reapply at 5, 3, 1 or 0 second depending on what's coming up for your main target dps, like a 3 seconds channeling of Void Barrage.

#show Salvage Corruption
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @focus Salvage Corruption
    cast @focus Deathly Pall

There's a few useful @focus macro you can make to further increase your dps such as: Cast @focus Blazing Light, Cast @focus Needra's Grasp or Cast @focus Radiate Death (I use that one on volan).

Another macro I like using is:

#show Salvage Corruption
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Salvage Corruption
    cast @focus Deathly Pall

Instead of applying the dots I want on my secondary target and switching to my primary target I just start my rotation normally on my primary target and double tap that macro to apply my dots on the focused target. That's in no way needed but it's something I prefer doing so I'm sharing it with you guys.

Summary:
    - Apply 5 dots in the proper order
    - Always have Empowered Darkness, Sacrifice Life: Damage or Contaminate active at any time
    - Refresh dots with Void Barrage used on CD and Persist used at 1s (See pie chart bellow; Standard Cooldown Management)
    - Maintain Death's Door sub 50%.
    - Use procs as soon as you can
    - Cast Blazing Light if not on target
    - Mash your main spam.

Step 3 - Advanced timing + Alternative cooldown usage + Necro pet

Intro:
    Once again there isn't much change from step 2 to step 3. This step is mostly some added information about ways to increase your dps. It doesn't add or remove any hotkey to your action bar but it does make Warlock seem harder by trying to get that perfect timing and rotation. This part is also the main reason I'm making this guide public since I haven't seen a guide with the kind of cooldown rotation I personally use. Of course I'm looking forward to see what everyone has to say about it.

Double dot ticks:
    Getting double ticks from all your dots is only a matter of knowing when to refresh. Void Barrage will always be used on CD because of its high dmgs unlike Persist. The only way to get a dps increase from Persist is to refresh on odd numbers. Your dots ticks every 2 seconds so if you quickly refresh right after a tick you will see another hit from all your dots. This is also why you want to refresh Death's Door at 1 second so you can get that double DD tick.

Necromancer Pet:
    You may be asking yourself what kind of dps gain can a level 30 pet possibly give you. The answer is a lot more then you think. The Necro pet attacks generate stacks of Deathly Callings which can be used to boost the dmgs of Desecrate. Desecrate will hit like a truck and is a very good dps gain. The problem is your pet is very squishy and it will die from any dmgs... so I guess it's a good thing most aoe abilities don't affect it at all. You would think on a fight like Salvarola or Thraxx it would die in a heartbeat but it isn't the case. Try it on every encounter you play Warlock on and you'll find out if it's a good idea to move Desecrate up in your macro or not. Your macro will look like this

#show Void Bolt
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Conflux
    cast Desecrate
    cast Draining Bolt
    cast Neddra's Torture
    cast Void Bolt
    cast Consuming Agony
    cast Neddra's Grasp
    cast Storm's Fury
    cast Storm Slash
    cast Blazing Light

So let your pet loose and see if it lives. If it does use that macro and you'll do better dps then a Warlock that doesn't.

Deathly Pall on pull
    You can duel a player pre-pull and apply Life Leech, Necrosis, Dark Touch, Atrophy and Defile on them to use your Salvage Corruption and save 3.5 second GCD on your pull. Preferably duel a tank or healer so you don't kill them with your shenanigans.

Conflux
    Conflux will only gain dmgs if used while a SLD or ED is active. Some people might be mistaken and macro (or use) Conflux only after a ED for a 40% increase on all of them. To understand why this is wrong, look at your breakdown over a 3min parse. In a 3 min parse you can either get 3 Conflux with a 40% increase or 4 Conflux (One with 40% increase, two with 20% increase and 1 without increase). If you do the math, you'll find out it's better to just use it on cooldown. However there is some bosses with an increase damage taken phase. It will be up to your better judgement to hold Conflux for a few second to gain from that extra damage taken.

Death's Door
    To further increase your Death's Door management you can use Salvage Corruption/Deathly Pall to refresh your third Death's Door. You only want to use this method depending on which cooldown is currently affecting your dots. For example, you would refresh Death's Door at 1sec with Salvage Corruption/Deathly Pall if your previous refresh was with SLD and you are now using Contaminate but you wouldn't if it was the other way around. It would be better to just recast Death's Door at 1sec so the rest of your dots can hit harder for 6-8 more seconds. Following that logic ED > Contaminate > SLD for dot damage. Keep track of your cooldowns in your mind a few second after they expire to take advantage of this. It is big gain to always try to only refresh when DD is at 1sec.

Standard Cooldown Management
    Here we have your every day rotation as suggested in most guide and step 2 of this very guide.

Alternative Cooldown Management
    What I tried to do with this one is essencialy find a way to always use Void Barrage with either SLD or ED and Persist with either Contaminateor ED. The only way I could make it work was to sacrifice 6sec of a SLD. So this is what gave birth to the pie chart you see below. But is it a gain or a loss? Let's compare the pros and cons.

Pros:
    - 10% extra dmg on 1 dot tick (2 sec gain on Contaminate)
    - 20% More dmg to 1 Void Barrage
    - Time for raid buffs (Flaring Power, Orchestra, Motifs, Volcanic & Earthen, etc) to be applied for your first ED. This is a bigger gain then you might think.
    - Gain on Blazing light cast during that time period

Cons:
    - Atrophy will rarely get its 1 sec tick (via Void Barrage)
    - Slight loss on any Void Bolt(Contaminate's 230 bonus dmg + LL refresh is still weaker then SLD's 20% increase)
    - Loss on Draining Bolts and Neddra's Tortures cast during that time period.
    - Loss on any procs you would be forced to use during that time. Most of the time if you get a proc you can just wait till after Persist to use it but you might lose a proc by overwrite or be forced to use one during that 6s period. This proc is the biggest loss if poorly managed.

Which one's the best? Both of them will be really close. I personally like the second one just because it feels right to me and it allow me to spike higher during my guild's first flaring power. Feel free to test both of them and come back with your theory.

Kalert:
    Spoiler!

As always, if you have any question or if you see any mistake feel free to point them out. I try to answer every questions posted in here, my Youtube channel or in game via Heartbeat@Greybriar (Keep it short for in game questions). I hope this guide will be useful to a few mages out there.

Updates
    *2/7/2014*
    - Updated 3/3 Flesh Rot vs 2/3 Flesh Rot (thx > Primal)
    - Updated step 3 Conflux information. (thx > Primal)
    - Added step 3 Death's Door management.

*7/20/2014*
    - Updated the formatting to match my other guides
    - Corrected a few spelling mistakes
    - Added links for Devouring Shadows

What an excellent, clear and concise guide.

Well done!

We are currently actively recruiting, if you are an exceptional player of any class please find an officer in game for a chat - Guild info is Here

CoA 6/6 (World 1st NM, 5th HM) - iROTP 4/4 (EU 1st Non-cheese kill!) - TD Normal 4/4 (World 2nd)

A very thought out Long guide, after everything was concluded.

Well done indeed.

Now you can see why I always call my guides Quick .
    Last edited by Burninalways; 01-18-2014 at 11:12 AM.
    True Server First Prime GP: Anrak the Foul & Guurloth
    4/5 GSB
    4/4 GP
    4/4 DH

Couple of minor things:

-Neddra's Torture is overriden by other players so only one person in the raid can use it currently (this is being fixed shortly.) So I suggest not macroing in until you've talked to other Mages in your raid and worked out who is applying it.

-Refreshing Death's Door with Salvage Corruption/Deathly Pall to maintain 100% uptime without manually casting Death's Door is a DPS increase if used whenever Persist and Void Barrage are on cd.

-Despite the reasoning given I would still strongly suggest not macroing in Conflux, using it on CD outside of a macro is not difficult and gives you more control over the ability. Waiting a few seconds to use it to ensure that you use it when the boss has increased damage taken such as Kaliban, if you know Flaring Power is about to be cast or you need to use it to burn a specific target down asap such as an Empowered Warped Fanatic on Salvarola or one of the Diamond adds on Abominus. Obviously you still want to use it on CD as much as possible, but oftentimes delaying it 2 or 3 seconds a few times a fight is worth it.

-2/3 Flesh Rot vs 3/3 Flesh Rot depends on what situation you are using Warlock in. 2/3 is a better choice on a single target. But when you are double or triple dotting (the only situations in which you should really be playing Warlock) then 3/3 Flesh Rot becomes the superior choice. If you only use 2/3 Flesh Rot then you need to refresh your DoTs much more frequently and hence use a lot more GCDs on Salvage Corruption/Deathly Pall. For instance over 5 minutes with 3/3 Flesh Rot you need to refresh DoTs ~19 times, with 2/3 Flesh Rot it's ~22 times, in reality you'll be refreshing a little more than that. Once you start maintaining DoTs on 2 or 3 targets the difference increases from 3-4 GCDs per 5 minutes to 6-8 and then 9-12 GCDs, In reality the difference will be higher since because of fight mechanics and just how precise you have to be, especially on 3 targets you do need to refresh early often to make it all fit. If you're using Warlock in situations when you should be playing Harb, then sure go for 2/3 Flesh Rot, but if you're multi-dotting then 3/3 Flesh Rot is the way to go.

Other than those minor points this is a pretty solid guide.
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 01-18-2014 at 04:28 PM.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    Couple of minor things:

-Neddra's Torture is overriden by other players so only one person in the raid can use it currently (this is being fixed shortly.) So I suggest not macroing in until you've talked to other Mages in your raid and worked out who is applying it.

-Refreshing Death's Door with Salvage Corruption/Deathly Pall to maintain 100% uptime without manually casting Death's Door is a DPS increase if used whenever Persist and Void Barrage are on cd.

-Despite the reasoning given I would still strongly suggest not macroing in Conflux, using it on CD outside of a macro is not difficult and gives you more control over the ability. Waiting a few seconds to use it to ensure that you use it when the boss has increased damage taken such as Kaliban, if you know Flaring Power is about to be cast or you need to use it to burn a specific target down asap such as an Empowered Warped Fanatic on Salvarola or one of the Diamond adds on Abominus. Obviously you still want to use it on CD as much as possible, but oftentimes delaying it 2 or 3 seconds a few times a fight is worth it.

-2/3 Flesh Rot vs 3/3 Flesh Rot depends on what situation you are using Warlock in. 2/3 is a better choice on a single target. But when you are double or triple dotting (the only situations in which you should really be playing Warlock) then 3/3 Flesh Rot becomes the superior choice. If you only use 2/3 Flesh Rot then you need to refresh your DoTs much more frequently and hence use a lot more GCDs on Salvage Corruption/Deathly Pall. For instance over 5 minutes with 3/3 Flesh Rot you need to refresh DoTs ~19 times, with 2/3 Flesh Rot it's ~22 times, in reality you'll be refreshing a little more than that. Once you start maintaining DoTs on 2 or 3 targets the difference increases from 3-4 GCDs per 5 minutes to 6-8 and then 9-12 GCDs, In reality the difference will be higher since because of fight mechanics and just how precise you have to be, especially on 3 targets you do need to refresh early often to make it all fit. If you're using Warlock in situations when you should be playing Harb, then sure go for 2/3 Flesh Rot, but if you're multi-dotting then 3/3 Flesh Rot is the way to go.

Other than those minor points this is a pretty solid guide.
    - I had never noticed that but I always been the only Warlock in my raids. Since it's going to be fixed I'm just going to leave it as it but I'll add a note.

- Ty for the Death's Door comment. I have been debating with this one for quite some time. 1s DD refresh vs 1.5s refresh on everything. It's close but depending on how fast you are it can be a nice little gain.

- Holding conflux for a dmgs increase phase is so situational and depending on aware you are may not always be such a good idea. I will add something to that regard because a gain is a gain and you are right. In general I'd say that most players need as much fight awareness as possible and just having it outside of your spam will probably cause a few second delay every now and again resulting in more losses then gains.

- You make a good point regarding that 1 point for double and tripple dotting and I will add something to that regard. Which fight would you say this build is a superior choice though? I see Volan for both aoe and double dotting the legs. Maybe Abominus but I haven't seen him yet. Thraxx is all single target. But it really is a minor detail and I wouldn't carry an extra spec just for it.

I was looking to get some feedback on my alternative cooldown management though. I would really like to see what you guys think about that.

P.S. How do I edit my main post past 5 min?

Quote Originally Posted by Allmightyone View Post
    P.S. How do I edit my main post past 5 min?
    You don't LOL

(message a moderator and ask?)

Quote Originally Posted by Allmightyone View Post
    - You make a good point regarding that 1 point for double and tripple dotting and I will add something to that regard. Which fight would you say this build is a superior choice though? I see Volan for both aoe and double dotting the legs. Maybe Abominus but I haven't seen him yet. Thraxx is all single target. But it really is a minor detail and I wouldn't carry an extra spec just for it.

I was looking to get some feedback on my alternative cooldown management though. I would really like to see what you guys think about that.
    I only use Warlock on Volan and Abominus, I don't see any reason to use it in any ST situation so I only use the 3/3 Flesh Rot variant.

As for your Cooldown rotation, I don't have any specific feedback on it since I don't really use a fixed timing for my DoT refreshes, on Abominus in particular the timings aren't standard because of all the platform transitions.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    I only use Warlock on Volan and Abominus, I don't see any reason to use it in any ST situation so I only use the 3/3 Flesh Rot variant.
    That's a valid way of doing thing. I just personally got sick of using Harb on everything so I use it on a few ST fights like Krizix and Thraxx and I might give it a shot on Inyr tomorow see how it goes. Without any use for Blademark, some things to cleave with storm and beam or if a fight end right before a EA it's not like the two spec are far appart. It's nice to feel like a mage again.

Some clarification about 3/3 flesh rot vs 2/3 flesh rot. The increased use of gcd only applies to the OFF target when double dotting, and applies twice if triple dotting. The ST(or when refreshing main target when multi dotting) with 3/3 flesh rot isn't saving any gcds, you still vbarr on cd and still persist at 1sec necrosis. All it does is make the window between persist and vbarr smaller(moving a vbolt from in back of persist to infront of persist) for the main target or ST.

What Notrev said is correct, my earlier statement was slightly innaccurate
    Nope.

Telaran

Are we sure about refreshing DD with deathly pall/salvage corruption?

1. If you do it manually you gain 0.5 gcd.
    2. You will still refresh it anyways with persist and vbarr the other 2 out of 3.
    3. Atrophy does more damage because you refresh it less.

So why do we refresh it with deathly pall/salvage corruption again?

Quote Originally Posted by Altora View Post

2. You will still refresh it anyways with persist and vbarr the other 2 out of 3.

I believe the thought process was to get a double dot tick by refreshing at 1sec DD, but points 1&3 would likely make it Dps neutral. However, if 1sec DD happens to also line up on an odd # for necrosis it could be a substantial gain(6x double ticks). You might also want to consider if you're clipping ED/contam buffed dots, esp when SL is active.

RIFT Guide Writer

Since were wiping, erm progressing a lot on Volan the last 2 weeks im getting a lot of uptime on my Warlock and im loving it.
    Although i had to make a few adjustments. The focus macro for salvage corruption/deathly pall is great but every time i got an energy beam on me, decided its safer to salvage my focus dots and reapply them later i somehow lost them.
    It still kinda boggles my mind why but it constantly happened, salvage corruption is off cd when i try to reapply them but since there are no dots on my focus it should do anything right? or does it take the dots from my main target if there arent any on my focus?. I finally fixed it by also having a @focus deathly pall macro but if someone could tell me why id be a happy camper.

Having Neddras Grasp before Radiate Death in the Focus Spread macro is also a good idea.

Also refreshing DD with salvage corruption/deathly pall might be a dps gain if it ticks right but its not worth it if you mess it up and lose the dots on your focus

Finally, really good guide, thanks for all the work
    killings - Mage - Apotheosys - Typhiria

Quote Originally Posted by Altora View Post

The thought process is 1 extra tick for every DoT is worth more than the loss of Atrophy damage. You do need to refresh correctly though. Using Salvage/Pall for DD when multi-dotting is a little more iffy, you definitely can't do it on three targets although you can do it on 2 for minor gain although it does restrict your rotation a bit. On Abominus in particular on the final platform there's enough chaos and target swapping going on to begin with so it's better to keep your Salvage available for LoS pillars/swapping to new minibosses rather than on DD.
    Nope.

On volan you can just refresh your second target the moment you get called and you won't have any issue.

As for refreshing DD with Salvage / Deathly I wouldn't recommend doing so while multi dotting for anyone still working on any aspect of the soul. The gain is minimal and it could cause you to lose all your dots on your secondary target if you aren't careful. As for single target it's definatly worth it and everyone should do it.

I will make adjustment and add notes about everything that's been said in the main post as soon as I get (if ever) guide writter status.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast