Like Tree44Likes

Thread: New Warlock Guide

this is so much fun <3
    sculzilla - cleric - 4/4 3/3 5/5 BoB: Greenscale/Akylios
    You Listening? You Hear That?
    Do Something. Do Something.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    The only part I'll actually reply to is the Dream Orbs part in which case you can't even read the spreadsheet you linked! The ratio on the orbs is 2.4 INT to 1 SP which is amazingly GOOD for Chloro and not so much for Harb since Chloro begins to take off ~1 INT to 2.2 SP and the higher the INT goes and the lower the SP goes in the ratio the better the spec works.
    I was wrong (that's not so hard is it?!).

In an attempt to close this discussion for good since Aylen refuses to provide any real parsing numbers I went onto the PTS and got BiS dream weaving orbs as lets face it, 2.6 is really all that matters at this point since it comes out in a matter of days. While I'm sure Aylen will find some reason or another to complain about the methodology I believe it should more than suffice.

My gear on live servers fits the 'required' ratios, I am CP capped and 100% unbuffed I have 5854SP and 2712 int for a ratio of 2.1585. On the PTS server after applying BiS Int / SP dream orbs my stats came out at 6181SP and 2924 Int for an even better ratio of 2.1138 I have BiS runes / essences / cq power. 9 pieces of T2 gear and T1 relic beholder staff. None of my items have any SC on them.

If a 2.2 ratio / max cp is all that is necessary, then a 2.11 ratio should easily win, and this is a best case scenario since it already includes dream orbs.

I put on stones / consumables to simulate a raid environment as best I could, and went to the dummies to run two 5 minute tests. The test was not a straight out burn test, but rather to find the range of damage of the individual spells on the two specs so that you can use math to computate the real dps which eliminates playstyle screwups of potentially missing a double dot tick, or perfect timings of ED ect, more opportunity / CA procs, or procs at convenient times ect. Therefore no contaminate / SL.D / ED was used and the final raw dps doesn't matter because I wasn't trying to min / max it. Once done, I took the minimum hit for each ability, and calculated in what it's expected hit would be if it had perfect crit distribution.

math assumes you have max CP for 200% damage crits, and is detailed as expected hit = (min hit * % chance to not crit) + (min hit *2 *% chance to crit)

5chloro variant expected hits
    3039 / 3734 Int with NA
    6306 / 6838SP
    22.59% crit rate with NA, 25.59% dots

Vines: 1998.13
    LL: 2346.01
    Defile: 2541.93
    Necr: 2055.9
    Atrop: 1487.48
    DarkT: 1998.13
    nedra: 13739.88
    Conflux: 4263.67
    VBolt: 11361.66
    VBarr: 13872

2/3 harb variant
    3039 Int
    6830SP
    19.83% crit rate, 22.83% dots

Blazing: 1820.33
    LL: 2352.33
    Defile: 2549.9
    Nec: 2026.69
    Atroph: 1492.37
    DarkT: 2003.35
    Nedra: 13825.98
    Conflux: 4291.1
    VBolt: 11404
    VBarrage: 13935.02
    Lightning: 1212.67

What does all this mean? Essentially (to no surprise) 2/3 hits harder on essentially everything except the withering vines / blazing tradeoff. If you add all the 6 dots together you get a difference of +182.61 damage / tick out of the chloro. In a perfect setting where you always double tick perfectly you get 8 ticks in 15 seconds or 1tick / 1.875 seconds. Therefore the sum total dps gained by all dots in chloro is aprox 98.99dps.

A ~99 total dps difference on all dots combined (which is the only area that 5chloro comes out ahead), will not be enough to offset the area's where 2/3 shines, which is essentially every single other cast. Even lightning blades alone would be worth ~48dps (assuming normal 5% proc rates) not counting every other ability hits harder. So now we are talking about a 41dps difference. Can 2/3 harder hits make up for 41dps? -Yes, and easily. Conflux x 10hits / 45seconds is another~6 which puts us down to 35. Nedras torture hits for 86 more per cast, VBolt is 42 more which even at 1.5 seconds means it's 28dps, barrage hits for 63 more per tick ect ect. I didn't test draining bolt, desecrate, CA as I didn't feel like sitting at the dummy for 10 minutes per test to ensure that I cast each ability enough times to ensure I found the true minimum hit, but it's more than safe to assume they also do more damage in 2/3 spec. Does 2/3 win by a landslide? -no, but a win is a win. And it's realistically not possible to push your int / sp ratio's any better unless you start using SC gear.

One other thing to keep in mind is that all dot damage is minimum dmg ticks (and minimum damage is the only thing i looked at in this parse), while not every hard cast ability does minimum damage which helps 2/3 nec harb version more than the chloro version since that is already harb's strong suit.

TL/DR A 2.2 ratio is not even close to where chloro would theoretically pull ahead as even as low as a 2.11 ratio still has 2/3 ahead. And even if your SP is horribly low due to too many SC items, the dps difference will still be trivial between the two specs.

While there may be certain gear ratios where chloro can in theory come out ahead, this is by far the exception and not the norm and definitely does not occur at the stated 2.2 ratio with max CP. It would require several pieces of SC gear, and very high overall gear levels while simultaneously missing a good weapon since weapons are so SP heavy. (my weapon upgrade will give me 39int and a massive 412SP upgrade which blows the necessary ratio's out of the water)

P.S. If you guys did more testing, more math and more thinking and a little less talking and assuming you'd probably be better players
    Last edited by vexare; 02-10-2014 at 03:34 PM.

thank you

/123text
    sculzilla - cleric - 4/4 3/3 5/5 BoB: Greenscale/Akylios
    You Listening? You Hear That?
    Do Something. Do Something.

Don't forget raid consumable, raid buffs and raid cooldown strongly favor SP over Intel. Also, refreshing on odd numbers give an invisible (unless you use act) edge to the variant with the strongest dot damage which is still 6 Harb until MAYBE dream orbs.

Rift Master

Ugh... Seriously guys, this still lives?

Can't a dev come along and close this thread?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by KarthosNZ View Post

OI!! there is a fine discussion going on in this thread, if it gets closed where will I get my morning coffee entertainment from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post

tl;dr - Trion should do this: Melee = Turret Ranged > Mobile Ranged

Quote Originally Posted by vexare View Post

In an attempt to close this discussion for good since Aylen refuses to provide any real parsing numbers I went onto the PTS and got BiS dream weaving orbs as lets face it, 2.6 is really all that matters at this point since it comes out in a matter of days. While I'm sure Aylen will find some reason or another to complain about the methodology I believe it should more than suffice.

My gear on live servers fits the 'required' ratios, I am CP capped and 100% unbuffed I have 5854SP and 2712 int for a ratio of 2.1585. On the PTS server after applying BiS Int / SP dream orbs my stats came out at 6181SP and 2924 Int for an even better ratio of 2.1138 I have BiS runes / essences / cq power. 9 pieces of T2 gear and T1 relic beholder staff. None of my items have any SC on them.

If a 2.2 ratio / max cp is all that is necessary, then a 2.11 ratio should easily win, and this is a best case scenario since it already includes dream orbs.

I put on stones / consumables to simulate a raid environment as best I could, and went to the dummies to run two 5 minute tests. The test was not a straight out burn test, but rather to find the range of damage of the individual spells on the two specs so that you can use math to computate the real dps which eliminates playstyle screwups of potentially missing a double dot tick, or perfect timings of ED ect, more opportunity / CA procs, or procs at convenient times ect. Therefore no contaminate / SL.D / ED was used and the final raw dps doesn't matter because I wasn't trying to min / max it. Once done, I took the minimum hit for each ability, and calculated in what it's expected hit would be if it had perfect crit distribution.

math assumes you have max CP for 200% damage crits, and is detailed as expected hit = (min hit * % chance to not crit) + (min hit *2 *% chance to crit)

3039 / 3734 Int with NA
    6306 / 6838SP

2/3 harb variant
    3039 Int
    6830SP

What does all this mean? Essentially (to no surprise) 2/3 hits harder on essentially everything except the withering vines / blazing tradeoff. If you add all the 6 dots together you get a difference of +182.61 damage / tick out of the chloro. In a perfect setting where you always double tick perfectly you get 8 ticks in 15 seconds or 1tick / 1.875 seconds. Therefore the sum total dps gained by all dots in chloro is aprox 98.99dps.

A ~99 total dps difference on all dots combined (which is the only area that 5chloro comes out ahead), will not be enough to offset the area's where 2/3 shines, which is essentially every single other cast. Even lightning blades alone would be worth ~48dps (assuming normal 5% proc rates) not counting every other ability hits harder. So now we are talking about a 41dps difference. Can 2/3 harder hits make up for 41dps? -Yes, and easily. Conflux x 10hits / 45seconds is another~6 which puts us down to 35. Nedras torture hits for 86 more per cast, VBolt is 42 more which even at 1.5 seconds means it's 28dps, barrage hits for 63 more per tick ect ect. I didn't test draining bolt, desecrate, CA as I didn't feel like sitting at the dummy for 10 minutes per test to ensure that I cast each ability enough times to ensure I found the true minimum hit, but it's more than safe to assume they also do more damage in 2/3 spec. Does 2/3 win by a landslide? -no, but a win is a win. And it's realistically not possible to push your int / sp ratio's any better unless you start using SC gear.

One other thing to keep in mind is that all dot damage is minimum dmg ticks (and minimum damage is the only thing i looked at in this parse), while not every hard cast ability does minimum damage which helps 2/3 nec harb version more than the chloro version since that is already harb's strong suit.

TL/DR A 2.2 ratio is not even close to where chloro would theoretically pull ahead as even as low as a 2.11 ratio still has 2/3 ahead. And even if your SP is horribly low due to too many SC items, the dps difference will still be trivial between the two specs.

While there may be certain gear ratios where chloro can in theory come out ahead, this is by far the exception and not the norm and definitely does not occur at the stated 2.2 ratio with max CP. It would require several pieces of SC gear, and very high overall gear levels while simultaneously missing a good weapon since weapons are so SP heavy. (my weapon upgrade will give me 39int and a massive 412SP upgrade which blows the necessary ratio's out of the water)
    This is pmuch identical with my testing(I forget which thread i put it on), and like you I meet the requirements but am lacking a full t2 weapon(using proteus'+marv brilliant aug'd FoTS(high int, lower sp)).

Quote Originally Posted by NotTrev View Post
    This is pmuch identical with my testing(I forget which thread i put it on), and like you I meet the requirements but am lacking a full t2 weapon(using proteus'+marv brilliant aug'd FoTS(high int, lower sp)).
    The true ratio should be around 1:2.05 to favor chloro. 2.2, 2.1, 2.0 doesn't matter since the live gear ratio put us closer to 2.5 in a raid environment.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Allmightyone View Post
    The true ratio should be around 1:2.05 to favor chloro. 2.2, 2.1, 2.0 doesn't matter since the live gear ratio put us closer to 2.5 in a raid environment.
    Raid environment ratios doesn't really matter. The ratios constantly being quoted are for unbuffed base stats because only they get modified by things like 25% int, or 10%sp. When you put on a powerstone in harb spec you get 250SP, not 275, and when you put on a petrified rune in chloro you get 60 int instead of 75 ect. Dream weaving will be effected by these bonuses, but things like cq power are considered buffs and do not recieve a bonus.

Raid environment ratios doesn't really matter. The ratios constantly being quoted are for unbuffed base stats because only they get modified by things like 25% int, or 10%sp. When you put on a powerstone in harb spec you get 250SP, not 275, and when you put on a petrified rune in chloro you get 60 int instead of 75 ect. Dream weaving will be effected by these bonuses, but things like cq power are considered buffs and do not recieve a bonus.
    Quite true, I'm currently 1 INT to 2.2 SP, I was as low as 2.05 but changed some gearz around so it changed a bit and have 1100 CP. If I gain any more SP w/o significant INT gains I'll be returning to the harb variant.

Default Clearing the air

To be clear this thread/guide has never been about Chloro vs Harb, 2/3 Flesh Rot vs 3/3, etc, it's about when to use either or and being the best Mage we can be.

Currently I'm working on getting all of the info you guys have requested and some. Once I'm finished I will present data from 2 different Mages with slightly different stats compared against all 4 specs, 5 Chloro w/ 2/3 Flesh Rot & 3/3 Flesh Rot as well as 6 Harb w/ 2/3 Flesh Rot & 3/3 Flesh Rot.

Also, I will include 2 different time tables and any other variables I can think of that may make a significant difference. With it will be a full breakdown of abilities, crit %, everything I can think of and if there are specifics you guys would like that haven't already been listed in the thread please do state them and I'll provide them.

In addition to the parses I will also give a detailed walkthrough of the rotation used, in what situations I use what, etc.

Unlike some of the individuals on here and unlike what some may think I'm not attempting to curve things or make people believe/think something that isn't true so that I can call it my own. Honestly there isn't even of anything special in any of the specs to even consider claiming ownership of not to mention they have all existed for a VERY long time.

The purpose of this guide & thread are simply to share what I've found to be the best overall results. For those that didn't look at the guide on patch day I was using 2/3 Flesh Rot and after more testing I noticed it was actually fairly lackluster and falling behind 3/3 often. Does it always lose? No, there are some cases where it's the way to go, on the same note 3/3 still has more application.

However, to make the guide more accurate I will add the 2/3 variants with a description of when they are to be used. As I go through collecting data thus far my findings have been exactly what I stated, 5 chloro 3/3 flesh rot has yielded the highest DPS by ~160 over 6 Harb 3/3 Flesh rot, I've even tested 1/3 flesh rot and 0/3 just to see, in both chloro & harb, 0/3 isn't viable for obvious reasons(Necrosis is too short of a timer to be refreshed) and 1/3 did decent numbers, it was about the same as 3/3 but it didn't offer any more DPS either and will end up being a loss for AOE/multi-dot situations.

By tomorrow I should have the data collected fully and I'll toss it up here. Sorry for the delay, I'm doing 10 parses with each to minimize RNG factors and each parse is 5m and that's in addition to my daily responsibilities so it's taking a little while but I'll have it all soon

Quote Originally Posted by KarthosNZ View Post

Didn't realize someone forced you to be here... When your free will is returned to you feel free to leave.

3039 / 3734 Int with NA
    6306 / 6838SP

2/3 harb variant
    3039 Int
    6830SP

Good work here, I commend your dedication & effort. As for admitting being wrong, I will if/when it is true, I've absolutely no issue with it, however, thus far I haven't found it to be true.

For clarification since I don't see it in the post, are you using 5 Chloro w/ 2/3 or 3/3 Flesh Rot? Also was it 2 total tests, 1 each or 2 tests each? Just would like to know exactly what scenario this information comes from, that's all.

Also, I'm not at all opposed to presenting parse data and am working on doing so now, only difference is I'm not interested in going and attacking a dummy for 10 minutes and call it a thorough test, I like to be extensive and get as close to the "truest" answer/results as possible.

Furthermore, I've never once said that everyone in the community needs to aim to get the ratios to allow for the use of 5 Chloro, I've used both variants depending on my ratios at the time and when I originally wrote the guide it was theorycraft confirmed by another mage because I simply didn't have the proper ratios.

At the end of the day it really just depends on your gear, in theory with Dream Orbs and T3 incoming I think Chloro will scale harder & faster but that may not be the case at all, I don't know until I can test it. Either way it doesn't matter to me, I will be using whatever yields me the very best DPS.

Also, I'm still testing various other builds with Warlock including some hybrid attempts, in times past some pretty impressive hybrids rose up and though at this point I can't think of anything or see anything that will surpass 61 Warlock I like to be open minded and try things out, never know what you might find!

As a brief update, I'm about half way through my parse tests and thus far I think 1/3 Flesh Rot is the way to go actually, not 2/3 or 3/3, here are my top 3 specs so far in parses:

5 Chloro w/ 1/3 Flesh Rot
    6 Harb w/ 1/3 Flesh Rot - ~240 DPS behind
    5 Chloro w/ 3/3 Flesh Rot - ~450 DPS behind

Using the 1/3 is obviously also a slightly different rotation but I actually like it quite a bit so far, after testing I'll post all of the parse results and my rotation for each.

Also my stats are:

With 5 Chloro w/o NA
    INT - 2666
    SP - 5981
    CP - 1102
    SC - 2540(20.16%)

With 5 Chloro w/NA - The stats that matter for this spec
    INT - 3282
    SP - 6461 - Notice MORE SP than Harb
    CP - 1102
    SC - 2848(22.60%) - 2.5% crit chance gain

With 6 Harb
    INT - 2666
    SP - 6427
    CP - 1102
    SC - 2540(20.16%)

And before someone whines about it, yes the Chloro stats with NA are what I will reference and go by, why? Because NA is always up in this spec, it is 100% static, it's pretty impossible for it to not be up and it replaces the 10% SP gain in harb. Also, you'll notice I am 1 INT to 2.2 SP pre-NA.

As you can see from my stats, these are self buffed w/some consumes since people seem to be more interested in stats w/consumes as they should since you shouldn't ever raid w/o them. Not only does the Chloro variant give me more crit chance by ~2.5% which with the 3% archon buff I'm at just over 25% which is nice with high CP or if BM or when Tempest uses FF I'm at a bit over 27%.

Now, do keep in mind the slightly higher SP and bunch of SC gained is slightly offset by the dmg gain in harb vs no gain for putting points into chloro which is what makes the specs pretty close in DPS, it's almost a wash, thus far my highest parses of both harb & chloro variants the chloro is ahead by just over 200 which is really a drop in the bucket compared to the near 18k dps which is further increased by full raid buff, flaring , DD, NG, etc.

Until my stats change more in the direction of SP > INT I will remain Chloro but all I need is a gain of ~100-120 SP more than INT and I will be back to Harb, so the specs are very close and going between them is just a matter of getting everything you can our of your DPS.

On any note so far I'm very excited for the parse results thus far with a slightly more aggressive rotation with 1/3 Flesh Rot, based on results so far it looks like the way to go but I'll post final findings soon and we'll see! I do hope so, it's a bit more fun to play as well, imo.

P.S. As a side note the diff of Chloro & Harb isn't 25% INT vs 10% SP & 5% dmg, it's 25% INT vs 9% INT & 5% dmg, Chloro only uses 5 points allowing 1 extra in Fresh Graves.
    Last edited by Aylen; 02-11-2014 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Added final line of info

Shield of Telara

however, thus far I haven't found it to be true.
    Not sure how you haven't found it to be true. The playstyle between the specs is exactly the same, the only difference is how hard do the various abilities hit. And on average the harb spells hit harder even after calculating in the extra crit % chance.

For clarification since I don't see it in the post, are you using 5 Chloro w/ 2/3 or 3/3 Flesh Rot?
    It is using the 3/3 flesh rot spec that you are so fond of and have been calling everyone bad for not using.

In theory with Dream Orbs and T3 incoming I think Chloro will scale harder & faster but that may not be the case at all
    The parse was conducted on the PTS server and already incorporated BiS dream orbs. It still failed to produce the results even with a stat ratio far better than what you had stated was necessary.

As far as T3 goes, anything is possible, but I highly doubt it for two reasons. First: Take a look at the difference between T1 and T2 raid vendor gear, we'll take shoulders for example since it's a SP item. While the Int went up by 19% from T1 to T2, the SP scaled faster and went up by 34%, not counting the passive SP you get from the added int/wis. Second, and the biggest reason: Unless CP cap gets raised significantly or a new stat is added, then SP will be the stat of choice in T3. Instead of requiring ~12 T2 items with CP on them, you will likely only need ~8 T3 Items to cap out. This means the remaining 4 items will be replaced with SP gear.

I actually don't even care which spec is the best, or warlock in general for that matter. The only reason I got involved in the first place is because you repeatedly insulted the entire mage community while simultaneously spread inaccurate information about which spec was the best. 800 dps difference?? Really dude??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast