+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: [DPS] for all purposes >>> The Quintessential Harbinger <<<

  1. #1
    lgw
    lgw is offline
    Ascendant lgw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dreamland
    Posts
    1,879

    Default [DPS] for all purposes >>> The Quintessential Harbinger <<<

    The Quintessential Harbinger



    Some basic facts about the Harbinger:
    • versatile
    • great DPS
    • high utility
    • good survivability
    • only melee soul of Mages
    • Stormlegion soul

    As you see, there are already a good number of reason to play Harbinger. Furthermore it is the best soul for soloing, both during levelling and at max level. It also has the highest DPS output for Mages in dungeons / raids. And its overall design makes it a top choice for PVP as well. All things together Harbinger will perform best, or within 10% of the best, of all possible DPS choices (Mage or others) in any given situation outside pure ranged or pure AOE scenarios.
    This guide will assume the definite best build: 61 Harbinger / 8 Chloromancer / 7 Elementalist
    There are a number of half/half hybrids with other soul, which cover some very specialised situations, but non comes even close to the raw power and versatility of the current pure build when played to its maximum potential.

    In case you wonder, a Mage in melee does work just fine. By design a Harbinger uses unique attacks called “slashes”, and improving those is the main focus of Harbinger talents. In particular they are (almost) all instant and on a 1s global cooldown, which enables a mobile and fast paced gameplay. The second important part is your Eldritch Armor. With every slash it gives you a chance to make (almost) any non-slash an instant cast, giving you plenty synergy with your other souls. At last the Harbinger has a large number of passive and active defensive abilities and a solid amount of crowd control, which allows a Mage to not only survive but actually shine in melee.



    Ability Review

    Spoiler!



    Macros
    Spoiler!




    Play Advice

    DPS Rotation
    The basic structure of Harbinger is relatively straight forward:
    1. Apply / maintain your debuffs.
    2. Consume Eldritch Armor procs quickly as they come up.
    3. Use Empyrean Ascension and Tempest Winds as often as possible.
    4. Spam your basic slash macro.
    Always and only use short ability queue (Settings => Action Bars => Ability Queue) or Harbinger won't work properly!
    While the basic stuff is easy, as with all good things, there is a lot of fine print to read, as described below.

    Opener and Debuffs
    Spoiler!


    Maximum DPS Tricks
    Spoiler!


    Solo / Duo Play
    Spoiler!


    PVP
    Spoiler!


    Itemisation
    Spoiler!


    You made it to the end, and there is no need to get overwhelmed by this verbose guide. Focus on understanding the basics, and then go out and simply use it. You should get the hang of it quickly, as Harbinger has a rather fluid playstyle. You can come back later and focus on getting the little details right to play Harbinger up to its full potential.

    And as always remember... Don't Panic!

    PS: You can find the preset information for this spec in the according thread.

  2. #2
    RIFT Guide Writer
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    819

    Default

    good guide although val kinda covered everything too so i dont see the need for more harb guides but whatever ^^

    also the internal cooldown of EG procs is 2 seconds not 3.

  3. #3
    Ascendant radiomaryja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,478

    Default

    You might want to change that consumables part, before any mage thinks about getting whetstones instead of powerstones (I know it's nitpicking, but still)
    Last edited by radiomaryja; 12-03-2013 at 02:49 PM.

  4. #4
    Soulwalker Aleais's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Hello,

    #show Empyrean Ascension
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Empyrean Ascension
    cast [notactive] Charged Blade
    cast Dancing Limbs
    cast Shocking Touch
    cast Rending Slash ???
    cast Withering Vine
    cast Vengeful Shock
    cast Conditioned Response

    There is no interest to put this into ur macro
    Last edited by Aleais; 12-05-2013 at 11:55 PM.
    Mage | P1: clean - P2: GA 4\4 IG 3\3 PB 5\5

  5. #5
    lgw
    lgw is offline
    Ascendant lgw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dreamland
    Posts
    1,879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paschl View Post
    also the internal cooldown of EG procs is 2 seconds not 3.
    Read the tooltip again. THX

    Quote Originally Posted by radiomaryja View Post
    You might want to change that consumables part, before any mage thinks about getting whetstones instead of powerstones (I know it's nitpicking, but still)
    When and if I get edit rights I'll fix that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleais View Post
    Hello,

    #show Empyrean Ascension
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Empyrean Ascension
    cast [notactive] Charged Blade
    cast Dancing Limbs
    cast Shocking Touch
    cast Rending Slash ???
    cast Withering Vine
    cast Vengeful Shock
    cast Conditioned Response

    There is no interest to put this into ur macro
    It's there for good reason:
    * When you transition out of EA you don't waste time doing nothing.
    * When you get silenced during EA you still do something useful.
    Last edited by lgw; 12-06-2013 at 10:58 AM.

  6. #6
    RIFT Guide Writer
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lgw View Post
    Read the tooltip again. THX



    When and if I get edit rights I'll fix that.



    It's there for good reason:
    * When you transition out of EA you don't waste time doing nothing.
    * When you get silenced during EA you still do something useful.
    mhhh, just checked it and youre right but it doesnt feel like it.
    just tried around at the dummy for a few min and it really doesnt feel like 3 sec but id need a better timer than the dps meter to prove it.

  7. #7
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    356

    Default

    The ICD of EA is 3 seconds but the procing slash counts as the 1st second so you only have 2 GCDs after a procing one til next slash is proc-able

    But depending on how you gain the proc and how you use that proc changes the time in between procs by a bit

    my amazing spreadsheet---



    Its a nicely written guide but why would you take Elemental Link and Ice Shield over 2/3 Charged in Ele.. if its for a more overall/solo build i'd think Bloom + 2/3 charged would be better than VS Dot + Ice Shield.
    Last edited by Hadezz; 12-06-2013 at 04:37 PM.

  8. #8
    RIFT Guide Writer
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hadezz View Post
    The ICD of EA is 3 seconds but the procing slash counts as the 1st second so you only have 2 GCDs after a procing one til next slash is proc-able

    But depending on how you gain the proc and how you use that proc changes the time in between procs by a bit

    my amazing spreadsheet---



    Its a nicely written guide but why would you take Elemental Link and Ice Shield over 2/3 Charged in Ele.. if its for a more overall/solo build i'd think Bloom + 2/3 charged would be better than VS Dot + Ice Shield.
    thanks for claring that up

  9. #9
    lgw
    lgw is offline
    Ascendant lgw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dreamland
    Posts
    1,879

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Hadezz View Post
    Its a nicely written guide but why would you take Elemental Link and Ice Shield over 2/3 Charged in Ele.. if its for a more overall/solo build i'd think Bloom + 2/3 charged would be better than VS Dot + Ice Shield.
    Let's clear a few things up here... The point spread is 100% optimal for raiding as well, because:
    * The point selection in 8 Chloro is the top DPS.
    * 5% Crit in Ele is a given.
    * So we have 2points in the 2nd row Ele remaining...

    Feel free to go test it yourself, but Elemental Link beats both LS damage and resist pierce, even if you run max CP.
    But... Ice Shield is so bloody useful that you should never, ever skip it. In raids I have it shield for 6k+, and it can crit, which alone makes it a damn useful tool for all kinds of situations (T2 has a lot of big raid damage mechanics). And it also helps you maintain your charge so you don't lose Charged Blade when you have an unlucky EA proc streak, which absolutely beats doing 100-130 extra DPS Elemental Link provides.
    And I don't think I need to explain the usefulness for PVP or solo situations...
    Last edited by lgw; 12-11-2013 at 05:02 PM.

  10. #10
    RIFT Guide Writer
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lgw View Post




    Let's clear a few things up here... The point spread is 100% optimal for raiding as well, because:
    * The point selection in 8 Chloro is the top DPS.
    * 5% Crit in Ele is a given.
    * So we have 2points in the 2nd row Ele remaining...

    Feel free to go test it yourself, but Elemental Link beats both LS damage and resist pierce, even if you run max CP.
    But... Ice Shield is so bloody useful that you should never, ever skip it. In raids I have it shield for 6k+, and it can crit, which alone makes it a damn useful tool for all kinds of situations (T2 has a lot of big raid damage mechanics). And it also helps you maintain your charge so you don't lose Charged Blade when you have an unlucky EA proc streak, which absolutely beats doing 100-130 extra DPS Elemental Link provides.
    And I don't think I need to explain the usefulness for PVP or solo situations...
    Im gonna have to try out ice shield, im usually the first to jump at something like this. No idea why i never tried it out.
    Otherwise its right that Elemental Link does beat out anything else on the 2nd Ele level dps wise.

    What do you think about ignoring Livegiving Veil and going 5 chloro/10 ele with 5 (or 4 with ice shield) points in Elemental Link?
    It should actually be a DPS boost, especially considering the passive ele boni.
    Yes, you lose some groupheal if you actually have it turned on but often you tend to not turn it on anyways.

  11. #11
    RIFT Guide Writer TheGrinnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    10,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paschl View Post
    Im gonna have to try out ice shield, im usually the first to jump at something like this. No idea why i never tried it out.
    Otherwise its right that Elemental Link does beat out anything else on the 2nd Ele level dps wise.

    What do you think about ignoring Livegiving Veil and going 5 chloro/10 ele with 5 (or 4 with ice shield) points in Elemental Link?
    It should actually be a DPS boost, especially considering the passive ele boni.
    Yes, you lose some groupheal if you actually have it turned on but often you tend to not turn it on anyways.
    doubling the damage of a vile spores eldritch proc is important.

  12. #12
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Are you trying to win that "better build" contest or whatever it's called? If so, 61 point and en-game builds I feel should be left out. Especially when we've had a guide up for this build for at least 6 months.

    Instead of just regurgitating the same guide for end-game that most mages already know and is very easy to find, how about making a comprehensive leveling/point guide for new mages. This I think would be much more helpful for new players, as people new to Rift seem to be very confused about where to put their points when leveling.

    Grinnz has a very good leveling guide for clerics using druid if you aren't sure what I'm talking about.
    World first Intrepid Drowned Halls!! WINING 4/4 2/3 2/5

  13. #13
    lgw
    lgw is offline
    Ascendant lgw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dreamland
    Posts
    1,879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paschl View Post
    What do you think about ignoring Livegiving Veil and going 5 chloro/10 ele with 5 (or 4 with ice shield) points in Elemental Link?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    doubling the damage of a vile spores eldritch proc is important.
    As Grinnz explained, the VS DOT is big for Harb.
    Yes, 8 Chloro loses an 8% damage gift, and that sucks -- but the two talents you take are soo good for Harb that it still wins out against any other variant. (Current closest is 8 Pyro at CP cap.)

    Getting LGV at 8p Chloro is a pretty nice utility boost, but it's not the main reason for going 8 Chloro.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreezie View Post
    *random rant*
    Mind taking your false accusations elsewhere and keeping this guide free of clutter?!
    Last edited by lgw; 12-13-2013 at 06:23 PM.

  14. #14
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Ya my bad with the false accusations, the 61 harb guide has actually been up for 10 months, not 6 like i said before.
    World first Intrepid Drowned Halls!! WINING 4/4 2/3 2/5

  15. #15
    RIFT Guide Writer
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lgw View Post
    As Grinnz explained, the VS DOT is big for Harb.
    Yes, 8 Chloro loses an 8% damage gift, and that sucks -- but the two talents you take are soo good for Harb that it still wins out against any other variant. (Current closest is 8 Pyro at CP cap.)

    Getting LGV at 8p Chloro is a pretty nice utility boost, but it's not the main reason for going 8 Chloro.



    Mind taking your false accusations elsewhere and keeping this guide free of clutter?!
    have you done any parsing on that?
    sadly ive been lazy the last week but in raids it felt like its a little bit more dps. especially since the more confident i get in my harb the less i actually cast VS.
    maybe ill get around to do a few parses later. (the build im talking about was 5chloro/10ele btw, not sure if that came through)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts