+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Horsemonkey's Archon Guide

Default Horsemonkey's Archon Guide

Horsemonkey’s Archon Guide

The purpose of an Archon first and foremost is to support the raid. An Archon sacrifices some of their own stats to buff the stats of the entire raid. The end result is that you will be quite squishy going into an encounter. Archon debuffs provide a buff component to the Mage, which help us return our lost stats. The single most important thing to know about an Archon is to stay alive. A dead Archon is a big detriment to the raid in many ways. Archon is by no means an easy role to play and takes a lot of practice to do it well.

I use the build below but there are other variations. This build has a great utility in Arresting Presence which is an AoE silence which drains charge while active; it’s actually overpowered if you ask me. Another good thing about this build is that it is Estrode friendly (Archon/Dom/Pyro) so you don't need a seperate build if you are Archoning on Estrode. This build also has Memory Wipe and Reflecting Command which are very useful at times.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...Rfiqkrz.bcVz.L

Setup the following macros:

The macro below is simply to prevent you from accidentally clicking off Flaring Power; the [notactive] modifier will only allow a spell to be cast if it is not already active. This is great for toggle abilities such as Flaring Power. More on this very important spell later.

#show Flaring Power
    cast [notactive] Flaring Power

The macro below is our main spam macro. This is the key you will be pressing most during an encounter. For this reason you want it in an easy to reach keyboard location; I use the E key. I spam this key over and over again when I am not doing anything else. Place the name of your activated trinket in the macro; if you don’t have an activated trinket then you can leave that line out. You would want to keep the main tank targeted at all times during the use of this macro so that they will get Consuming Flames applied to them which is a 1000 damage absorb shield. If the tank switches then you switch targets as well. Make sure you have the option under interface options to allow casting on the target of a target. Every spell on this macro has a cooldown except Pillaging Stone and Crumbling Resistance. The only time Crumbling Resistance will be cast is when you are moving because it is instant cast. This will proc Burning Purpose and provides DPS on the move when spammed.

#show Surging Flare
    suppressmacrofailures
    use Trinket
    cast Consuming Flames
    cast Earthen Barrage
    cast Volcanic Bomb
    cast Surging Flare
    cast Leeching Flames
    cast Pillaging Stone
    cast Crumbling Resistance
    HorseMonkey
    Level 50 Mage
    (Mage Lead for Guild Vendetta - Deepwood - 5/8 ID)
    My Archon Guide

Know Your Role

The below raid buffs are to be kept up at all times during an encounter. They have a 5 minute timer so you want to apply these right before the tank is about to pull and reapply them when they have less than a minute left. I usually hold off on refreshing until a movement part of the encounter comes up since they are all instant cast.

Shared Vigor
    Vitality of Stone
    Burning Purpose
    Tempered Armor
    Arcane Aegis

The below debuffs are what you must apply to each boss; the top two get dispelled by bosses quite often. When fighting trash MOBs, try to cast the top two on each MOB if possible. Lingering Dust is a special case because most MOBs in dungeons are immune to the debuff portion of the spell, however the buff portion still gets applied to the Archon. Cast this on a mob once every 5 minutes to keep the buff active on yourself. Searing Vitality should be applied to a mob every 5 minutes to keep the 5 stacks up to buff the Archon’s endurance. I setup these spells to the 1, 2, 3, and 4 keys

Crumbling Resistance
    Ashen Armor
    Lingering Dust <--once every 5 minutes
    Searing Vitality <--once every 5 minutes
    Illuminate <--usually this can be left off if you have a bard applying Coda of Jeopardy

The spells below should be kept up at all times as well. Rock Slide is a channeled spell which places up to 6 stacks on the Archon increasing intelligence. Get full charge and let it rip and it should give you 6 stacks. Sometimes it doesn’t give 6 stacks and you need to cast it another time. After you have 6 stacks there is no reason to cast this other than to reapply the stacks every 5 minutes. Just allow one tick of the spell to land then cancel the spell.

Rock Slide <--once every 5 minutes
    Wanning Power <--use on cooldown for boss fights
    HorseMonkey
    Level 50 Mage
    My Archon Guide

Special Spells

The spells below have their own section because they are dependant from raid to raid. These are the spells that really separate the good and bad Archons.

Flaring Power– Everyone’s favorite spell to have on them. First of all it helps to know the fight before you plan out when to use FP. It should be cast at a time where the raid is not going to need to move for 20 seconds and it should be used early if you expect the encounter to last longer than 5 minutes. The reason is that you can only use FP once every 5 minutes and it helps to be able to use it twice on a fight. I usually announce this to my raid so they can coordinate when they use their cooldowns; this is a good practice and people will appreciate it. If you hear “pop it”, “blow it”, or “burn it” from a raid leader this is what they most likely are referring to. You need to have about half charge to start FP and continue to cast during it to maintain charge. FP only consumes charge; it doesn’t prevent you from gaining charge. Use the macro if you are prone to double clicking spells because FP is a toggled ability and can be cancelled if you click it twice.

Power Drain– This is your normal charge consuming spell when you are not using FP. Use this every time you can when you have full charge. Target the boss (or tank) and activate, then go about your normal rotation. PD is very powerful since it not only buffs your damage by 10%, it also decreases the MOBs damage by 10%. It also can be important to time Power Drain during a time in which the raid is taking heavy damage. Some fights which come to mind are Prince Hylas's Soul Fracture and Grug's knock back after 3rd breath.

Arresting Presence– On some fights you will need to use this spell for certain mobs which need to be silenced. You should get full charge and then activate AP; you won’t be able to gain charge while it’s active so it usually only lasts about 10 seconds, but it has no cooldown so you can simply recharge and use it again. It’s an AoE silence around the target you cast it on.

Memory Wipe– In a perfect world tanks hold agro and DPS manage their threat and never pull the boss. However sometimes DPS can hit a bunch of lucky criticals or mismanage their threat resulting in pulling the boss. I make it a habit to memory wipe the highest damage dealers. Usually this is the top DPS rogue, warrior, and mages. I alternate between them unless there is a specific individual who keeps pulling agro. Keep in mind the target has to be within 25 meters of the boss for it to work.

Mental Flare– This should be used on clerics or mages who are low on mana. It’s not your job to check everyone’s mana so make sure they let you know when they need it. You should never need this on yourself as you’ll notice your mana stays at 100% the entire fight.

Reflective Command– By using RC, some spells can be reflected from the tank and back at the boss. One fight that comes to mind is Uruuluk in Gilded Prophecy. It doesn’t work with all spells but on the ones it does, it makes a big difference.

Transmogrify– This is a 30 second duration sheep ability. A lot of MOBs are immune to it but it can be very useful when used correctly. The raid leader will instruct on when to use this spell usually and you will want to be vocal about when you are casting as anyone damaging that MOB will break the sheep.

Closing Thoughts
    Good luck and hope this helps in your ability to be a good Archon. Please leave any constructive feedback or questions and I will try to answer them all.
    Last edited by HorseMonkey; 02-01-2012 at 01:45 PM.
    HorseMonkey
    Level 50 Mage
    My Archon Guide

nice guide, should be helpful to new mages confused about how archon works.

since Degeneration (3-buff purge) is now a 10-dom root ability and easily reachable by an archon perhaps its worth mentioning?

also: fiery concentration is your friend, no pushback in an almost exclusively hardcast spec where uptime = raidbuffs.
    Windstorm - Mage - Faeblight US
    Hi, I'm back!
    Faeblight since CB3

Quote Originally Posted by Araenn View Post
    nice guide, should be helpful to new mages confused about how archon works.

since Degeneration (3-buff purge) is now a 10-dom root ability and easily reachable by an archon perhaps its worth mentioning?

also: fiery concentration is your friend, no pushback in an almost exclusively hardcast spec where uptime = raidbuffs.
    Good call on Degeneration. The good ole PvP skill is now a 10 point Dominator ability. This means that Archons got even more useful with the ability to purge outside of Cleansing Flames.

Degeneration is a channeled spell which does some death damage and purges a buff each second over 3 seconds. Very nifty indeed!
    HorseMonkey
    Level 50 Mage
    My Archon Guide

Rift Disciple

I'm curious as to why you went Pyro, I'm guessing for the cast time reduction?

How do you deal with not having warlock for charge? I found that warlock is too necessary for me in HK because I use my charge a tremendous amount, especially during fights like sicaron (just before moldering decay) or rune king (when he does cursed blows, and at the same time I shield the mage tank).

Quote Originally Posted by Ardus View Post
    Best reason is the reduced pushback. As an archon a good chunk of your spells have cast times, and you'll see more delay from pushback then you'll ever gain from ignition
    Last edited by Araenn; 02-02-2012 at 10:05 AM.
    Windstorm - Mage - Faeblight US
    Hi, I'm back!
    Faeblight since CB3

Quote Originally Posted by Ardus View Post

How do you deal with not having warlock for charge? I found that warlock is too necessary for me in HK because I use my charge a tremendous amount, especially during fights like sicaron (just before moldering decay) or rune king (when he does cursed blows, and at the same time I shield the mage tank).
    Actually the sole reason is because I wanted my Archon spec to be Estrode friendly so I didnt need to use 2 slots. I would highly recommend the Warlock variation. I am not claiming my spec to be the best but it's simply what I use right now and I find it having the utilities to need to get the job done.
    HorseMonkey
    Level 50 Mage
    My Archon Guide

Soulwalker

With Degeneration added to Dom, i'm thinking the goto spec for Archon will now be something like 51archon/10-11 dom/ and for 3rd soul your choice of lock, pyro, or ele. I'm having fairly good results with 11 dom/ 4 pyro, but I think that lock for extra charge is pretty solid as well. I'm kind of curious about the 15 pyro builds though. But for utility's sake, with Deny and now Degeneration for 10 point Dom, I'm thinking that it's going to start looking fairly standard in a lot of builds.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Araenn View Post
    Best reason is the reduced pushback. As an archon a good chunk of your spells have cast times, and you'll see more delay from pushback then you'll ever gain from ignition
    What fights are you getting hit that you would ever see a pushback? I'm not doubting your reasoning, I'd just like to pay a bit more attention next raid cycle for any you list, because I don't recall pushback being a problem for me (but I generally am only doing HK these days, so I might not be remembering something in GSB, etc.).
    Last edited by Bluejaye; 02-03-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Rift Chaser

any fight with heavy AoE will result in pushback..

if you use an Addon cast bar that counts down spells you'll see them get a slight addition when you suffer AE dmg
    Last edited by Hadezz; 02-03-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Rift Disciple

Thanks HorseMonkey!!

Here's my $0.02:

I'm really digging this build: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...Rfiqkrz..e0cbk

We're on HK some of the benefits are:
    PYRO:
    Flicker: soo many snares in HK and this is beautiful. I LOOOOVe now when I'm pulled in by those big water mobs upstairs in HK cuz I can turn and pop rightout -- no silence, no snare, no slow, no dmg. A dead archon gives no buffs. So worth it imo.
    Philosophy of Flame: equates to more up-time on Power Drain.
    Fiery Resolve: less down-time
    Fiery Concentration: less down-time
    Ignition: faster casting for some archon spells
    Glyphs of Power: A lot of times I turn this off. I'm not DPSing, and the 5% extra damage is really bad a lot of times.
    I only actually use: Flicker, Glyphs of Power (sometimes), Fire Armor (just cuz it's there), Burning Intellect (just cuz it's there), and Track Fire Creatures (cuz who DOESN't want to know where all the fire creatures are?!?!?!?).

DOM:
    Reflective Command: don't need anymore. All non-new tanks can take Uruuluk. Bad for Matron. Not so useful on trash/other bosses in HK.
    Transmogrify: meh now since most tanks are ok with all trash pulls in HK. (I don't do Vlad's sheeping.)
    Arresting Presence: not a lot of places in HK to use - some, but imo, not worth the points...and takes away from my high priority Power Drain and Flaring Power.
    Acumen: imo, archon should not care so much about DPS. My build is more like a mage-tank...back to: dead archon = no buffs....and even maxing INT/SP/gear archon dps is crappy.
    Memory Wipe: so rare for anyone to pull aggro...unless they hit before tank and in those cases, it's too hard to tell who hit until they are 1-shot anyhow.
    The rest of the Dom is either taken care of by Archon (Deny) or not needed (Mana Wrench, Charged Shield, Thunder Blast, Neural Prod).

Throw in a 140endurance sigal and my health (raid buffed) is 7k+. Not so squishy anymore

Just how I do it..feedback is welcome!!
    Last edited by garraeth; 02-03-2012 at 01:00 PM.
    Level 50 Mage (Archon):Garraeth, of <Decayed> - 10/11 HK.

Quote Originally Posted by garraeth View Post
    Flicker: soo many snares in HK and this is beautiful. I LOOOOVe now when I'm pulled in by those big water mobs upstairs in HK cuz I can turn and pop rightout -- no silence, no snare, no slow, no dmg. A dead archon gives no buffs. So worth it imo.
    ^^ This. Very useful and I may end up switching to this for Akylios. I absolutely love Flicker.
    HorseMonkey
    Level 50 Mage
    My Archon Guide

Quote Originally Posted by HorseMonkey View Post
    Horsemonkey’s Archon Guide

#show Surging Flare
    suppressmacrofailures
    use Trinket
    cast Consuming Flames
    cast Earthen Barrage
    cast Volcanic Bomb
    cast Surging Flare
    cast Leeching Flames
    cast Pillaging Stone

cast [notactive] power Drain
    cast surging flare
    cast volcanic bomb
    cast earthen barrage
    cast leeching flames
    cast pillaging stone
    cast searing vitality

hotkey PD to toggle

please for the love of all that is critter, l2soul
    who took my names!

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Monkey View Post
    cast [notactive] power Drain
    cast surging flare
    cast volcanic bomb
    cast earthen barrage
    cast leeching flames
    cast pillaging stone
    cast searing vitality

hotkey PD to toggle

please for the love of all that is critter, l2soul
    I'm too lazy to look up: what's the [notactive] do? It's not going to toggle PD on when it's off, is it? If so, that seems bad for me cuz I lose control of my charge and Flaring Power gets tough to manage.

And, I like adding, right before "cast searing vitality":

So when I'm moving, and facing, the mob (Sicaron is a prime example) it casts "Crumbling Resistance" and procs "Burning Purpose" (so u get 2-birds/w/1-stone: buff refresh + dmg). And as far as I remember, 1 BP proc is more than a full SV cycle (which, you don't always get anyhow - if the mob dies)...could be wrong however...
    You could put in "Ashen Defense" too, but I like "Crumbling Resistance" for my other caster friends ;p ...or Illuminate (I don't do Illum, however, because I don't always cast that on mobs - our bard gets bosses, I get trash/adds).

...then, like u have, "Searing Vitality" for running away from the mob (or not facing them).

Thanks!
    Last edited by garraeth; 02-03-2012 at 04:41 PM.
    Level 50 Mage (Archon):Garraeth, of <Decayed> - 10/11 HK.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast