+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: RIFT Chloromancer Healing Guide (as of Patch 1.4)

Default RIFT Chloromancer Healing Guide (as of Patch 1.4)

Contents:
    I: Intro
    II: Builds
    III: Abbreviations
    IV: Mechanics
    V: Spells
    VI: Healing your tank
    VII: Healing your party
    VIII: Fine tuning
    IX: Closing words

I: Intro
    Hi guys, I've recently been through the process of learning Chloromancer healing and had to find that most healing guides out there (including those in the sticky thread) are from times when patch 1.3 was nowhere in sight. Those builds usually involved 32/32 Chloro / Archon mix builds for tank healing. This is no longer practical for main healing builds.
    Bluedot’s Endgame Mage PvE Guide actually contains some 20 lines regarding Chloro healing, which is mostly some build links and the tip to use NT and VL, but I got my tank healing rotations from him, so credits for that.

So anyways, since I'm feeling quite comfortable with Chloromancer healing by now I decided to share my findings with you in the shape of a guide.

II: Builds
    If you're main healing anything other than a 2 man questing party you will want 51 in Chloro, which leaves you with 15 points to vary your build. Some choices are:
    • 15 Warlock: +25% charge, +10% health, 10% chance for Opportunity (next cast instant). Also Sacrifice Life: Mana (I use that all the time) and Wither (sometimes useful)
    • 10 Dom / 5 Ele: 5% more crit, 10% more int, Charged Shield, a bonus spell reflect on your tank every 20 sec, memory Wipe and Mana Wrench
    • 14 (15) Archon (/ 1 Ele): Debuffs for 5% more phys, 7% more magical damage (only sometimes useful in 5 mans, your support does that), a Shield for some 1k hp, possibly 2 Archon auras (your support Archon will hate you if you put them up), Leeching Flames, Buffs from Searing Vitality and Pillaging Stone

III: Abbreviations
    For easy reference, I will use the abbreviations of most spells:

ES - Essence Surge
    LBV - Lifebound Veil
    NH - Natural Healing
    NS - Natural Splendor
    NF - Nature's Fury
    NT - Nature's Touch
    RS - Radiant Spores
    SYN - Synthesis
    WG - Wild Growth
    VS - Vile Spores
    VL - Void Life

IV: Mechanics
    If you're rolling a Chloro heal build, it is highly important that you understand where your healing comes from. You will be having LBV up, which heals your party for 60% of all life damage you cause, and SYN on your tank, which increases that value by 160% to a total of 0.6*2.6=156%.

There are exceptions, however:
    • DoT and channeled spells only trigger LBV on their first tick
    • Multi target spells heal for 20% of their total caused damage

And then there are some things you should be aware of regarding the implementation of Chloro spells:
    • NT triggers a bonus LBV heal on your SYN target for 100% of the damage caused. This heal will be improved by SYN to 260% - making NT heal the tank for 156+260=416% of damage caused.
    • VL is channeled, BUT each tick triggers an LBV heal. Each tick also triggers an additional LBV heal on the SYN target for 90% of the damage caused, which will be multiplied by SYN to 0.9*2.6=234% - total healing 156+234=390% of damage caused.
    • NF does NOT count as a multi target spell – it hits enemy number one, jumps to #2, jumps to #3, jumps to #4. EACH HIT generates full LBV healing, e.g. four hits of 1000 damage = 4*(0.6*1000) = 2400 aoe heal, 4*(1.56*1000) = 6240 tank healing.
    • Nature's Corrosion (talent) makes your Ruin and Vile Spores (VS) deal another 100% of damage caused as a DoT, 33% every 2 seconds. This DoT generates full LBV healing on each tick.
    • Corrosion, being both a multi target spell and a DoT, only suffers from one penalty. It heals for 20% of the total damage caused with each DoT tick (so counts as multi target, non DoT).

Side note: Ranges and Line of Sight (LoS)

There are some things to remember about range and LoS of your spells. The ranges on your healing spells are as follows:
    • LBV heals targets within 35 meters.
    • WG heals targets within 25 meters.
    • Flourish heals targets within 20 meters.
    • NS heals targets within 7 meters of the enemy.
    • Bloom and NH have a range of 35 meters.
    • NT and VL trigger their bonus healing if your SYN target is within 20 meters of the damaged enemy.

You should try to keep everyone within 20 meters for Flourish casts – it is your #1 active aoe heal. As for LoS:
    • Healing spells of course require LoS to your target.
    • LBV heals only spells within LoS of you, PLUS you need LoS to the boss to cast damaging spells obviously.
    So for all intents and purposes, you need LoS to all party members and at least one enemy you can damage. If some Pyromancer dps mage thinks it a fancy idea to hide behind some corner, he will not get any heals, die, and won't get a battle ress either since he's out of LoS.

V: Spells
    • Base rule: All life damage you cause heals your tank for 156% and your party for 60% of the damage caused.
    • VL and NT (see mechanics) heal A LOT more than that on your SYN target. Use them often. NT: 6 sec CD.
    • NF (see mechanics) is useful if able to hit 3 or 4 targets. Lots of healing with some nice damage (compared to our other spells at least).
    • Bloom: Instant cast heal, does a decent amount when it crits. 10 sec CD.
    • Flourish: Instant cast aoe heal, a little below Bloom in healing, but hits up to 10 targets. 20 sec CD.
    • NH is a 2.5 sec cast heal WITH NO CD – it is actually spammable out of combat. That's mostly its only useful application, though.
    • RS – debuff that gives every damaging hit against the target a 16% chance to heal the damager for 100% of the damage done. (In short: heals everyone for 16% of the damage they deal to that target). Affects 8 targets, lasts 16 sec. 8 sec CD.
    • WG is a 12 sec party HoT that consumes charge. 60 sec CD.
    • ES heals the target for 100% of your maximum life – can crit. 2 min CD.
    • NS: Tricky spell – does a lot of aoe damage on up to 8 targets within 7 meters of your main target. Also heals up to 8 allies within 7 meters of said main target for a ton. Tricky part is the 7 meters, though. Channeled, consumes 10 charge per sec (for a total of 80, stack before casting). 2 min CD.

VI: Healing your tank
    Now that we've got the basics covered, let's see how tank healing works. Basically he gets 156% of your life damage as healing, so you should be casting life spells. But which spells do you use?

Note: I've recently seen a Chloro heal by spamming NH. Please don't do that. Ever. If you can't resist that urge I highly recommend you reroll a Puri/Sent Cleric and spam your choice of Restorative Flame or Healing Invocation.

As mentioned above, VL and NT heal for an awesome amount of the damage they cause - 390% / 416% respectively. There are two ways to put this to good use.
    • Option one: Use NT every 6 seconds, fill remaining time with VL.
    • Option two: Use VL all the time, only use NT on Opportunity procs (if Warlock)

Those tend to work equally well due to the sheer amount of tank healing those two spells put out. I like the latter one because VL ticks each second, putting out a steady flow of healing on both your tank and your party.

Fun fact: Due to the bonus healing they cause, NT and VL scale incredibly well with spell power. 5 SP is 1 additional spell damage (on a 1.0 coefficient spell), but 1 additional damage is 4.16 / 3.9 additional tank healing respectively so you're getting a lot of bang for your buck.

Heavy Healing
    By doing either of those rotations you should keep your tank at a stable level of health. There may be situations where it isn't enough, however. For those fights we do a little weaving. Not the "fixing the cuts in your robe from the last time the tank didn't see a mob" weaving though, mind you.

Let me explain: you've got that neat little talent there called Circle of Life (CoL): Whenever you cast a damage spell, your next Bloom, Flourish or NH has its crit chance increased by 25%. So basically, if you cast one damage spell and one healing spell, the CoL proc will be consumed and your healing spell will most likely crit. By consistently weaving one damage and one healing spell, all your heals will have 25% more crit.

Your damage spells for this purpose are VL and NT. Your healing spells are Bloom and NH. Do not shy away to use Flourish for tank healing, though – if you feel that the fight won't be too aoe heavy. A practical implication of weaving could look like this:

VL -> Bloom -> VL -> NH -> VL -> NH

You can replace VL with NT if you like. I prefer VL due to the aforementioned fact of steady and reliable healing every sec and use NT on Opportunity procs.

Remember that you can activate Entropic Veil for 19% more damage. Also remember that 19% stronger NT and VL casts heal a lot more.

If all else fails, you still have ES. Healing for some nice 100% of your max life might not top up a tank's life bar, but it will still be bigger than any other heal you have by a huge chunk.

VII: Healing your party
    So if your tank is stable, it's time to check the other guys' life bars. That's right, there's more than just you and the tank in that dungeon.

A lot of nice aoe healing comes from LBV. It heals for 60% of your damage caused, which is not too big by itself, but will net you some consistent hps on your party as long as you do damage.

Next thing you wanna do is make sure that RS is up (and stays up). That causes your fellows to heal themselves for 16% of the damage they cause, which will do some nice amount of healing on your average damage dealer.

With both of those being in place, your party will already take a lot of off healing without you doing anything other than refreshing RS every 16 sec. If the damage on your party further increases, your next move should be casting Flourish. Try to time it so that it heals at least 75% percent of its actual potential – with the 20 sec CD you don't want to waste precious healing.

If the tank healing is easy enough for you, save Bloom for party heals – be it that one damage dealer draws the boss's attention or the boss mechanic might actually do a lot of damage to a second target during a certain period.

Dual target healing
    Not so fun fact: You are incredibly good at healing your SYN target. You're not really good at single target healing anyone that is not your SYN target. Remember that.

So when the situation arises that one of your fellows is being focused by the boss or some other strange mechanic, you will need to be on your toes to get enough healing on them. Bloom is your #1 priority for that. If the damage persists, consider weaving with the damaged party member being the target of your healing spells. VL will (hopefully) keep your tank topped up while NH crits will do your fellow a lot of good. Should you encounter additional aoe damage, consider using Flourish and WG. If said guy is still taking heavy damage and all else fails, let the tank drop a little while you focus on healing the person being hit and give the tank an Essence Surge cast to bring him back up (using the 15 Warlock spec I usually have the second most hit points, so ES on anyone else than the tank is wasted healing).

If for some reason someone is taking much more damage than you can handle using those tactics, LET THEM DIE. You can use your Soul Tether on a damage dealer alright, but ressing up the main tank during an ongoing encounter is NO FUN. That someone might be up and running again before someone even notices, at any rate it is much better than a wipe.

VIII: Fine tuning
    If you've got all of those basics covered, here are some things to consider that might make you an even better healer.

Free time:
    Most of the time, you don't need to spam heals to keep everyone topped up. Best thing you can do is help out party damage. First nice idea is to use NF on cool down if there are at least 3 targets it can hit. Another sweet spell you can use is Stream of Reclamation (SoR). While this requires you to channel for a full 6 seconds and only generates LBV healing on its first tick, it increases the proc chance of RS by 5% for each second channeled. If you use this on a boss affected by RS (which per definition every boss you are or will ever be fighting is), your party should heal itself enough to stay topped up during those 6 sec. Ruin, which deals double damage due to Nature's Corrosion, is also an excellent source for both damage and healing. Keep on cool down if possible.

Charge Management:
    Ever noticed that other bar below your blue bar? That's charge. I didn't know what to do with that for a long time, still don't use it frequently, but in theory it can be used to generate miraculous effects. There's four ways to make use of your charge as a Chloro healer:
    • NS requires 80 charge for its full duration. Given the fact that NS is a very situational spell, you won't use it much.
    • WG consumes 10 charge per tick, but you can gain charge while it's active. Activate when above 30 charge and continue casting, that'll be enough.
    • Corrosion consumes 4 charge per tick, can gain charge while active. Usually not a big deal, but you won’t spend much time within melee range of an angry pack of mobs.
    • Entropic Veil: Increases spell damage by 19%, consumes charge while active, can't gain charge while active. That's your standard charge dump. For basic charge handling, activate this when at or close to 100 charge and cheer at higher damage (and thus healing) output.

Mana Management:
    Fun fact: You're a mage. You have infinite mana. While those creepy cleric guys tend to sit down and have a drink after every 3rd pull, you don't.

In order to make use of your infinite mana, tough, you're gonna use some skills. 51 Chloro nets you 2 of those:
    • Living Shell, aka shiny bubble of endless eternal infinite mana, restores 2% of your max mana every sec for 30 sec. 2 min CD. The catch: it is also a shield absorbing up to 831 damage. Damage caused will drain your mana instead (also up to 831). By taking 831 or more damage, your shield will be consumed – no more nice and shiny mana bubble for you.
    • Empathic Bond restores mana to you equal to 20% of the damage your SYN target takes over the next 30 sec. 3 min CD. See a guy that looks especially fierce? Trigger EB. Your tank seems to be having more chunks in his not-so-shiny-anymore armor? Trigger EB. Or simply add another two groups and say the rogue did it. *Bug?* Tooltip says 20% of damage, BUT if you trigger it your SYN target will get the EB buff saying "bla… returning mana to the caster equal to 10% of damage taken". Have to check which one is true, but I think it's actually 10%.
    • If you're at least 11 points Archon, you could have Leeching Flames. That's a 12 sec DoT that returns 10% of your max mana over those 12 sec. 30 sec CD.
    • If you're at least 6 points Warlock, you get Sacrifice Life: Mana. Deals 15% of your max health in damage and returns 15% of your max mana. Nothing wrong with a little self-mutilation, especially if it gives free mana!

Generally you don't need all of those. Living Shell, Leeching Flames or SL:M can all take care of your mana problems single handedly. During heavy action boss fights or large scale aoe pulls, trigger EB and watch the blue bar pop to full. Be careful when using LS, though – if you take too much damage you might end up with less mana than before!

Consistent targets:
    Most of your healing comes from damage done, which in return requires targets you can damage. While the rogue closest to you most certainly deserves whatever fury you can rain down on him, it is more useful to be damaging enemies. This actually requires the slightest bit of thinking – as in don't start casting 2.5 sec NT on a mob at 5% health. Most likely he'll die before your cast hits, so no healing for your tank. During trash pulls it can be useful to cycle through the mobs using tab while casting your current spell to see which of them has the most health left. You wanna have your damage spells actually do damage, lest you lose a good chunk of healing and are stuck with Bloom and NH for tank healing. No fun.

Macros:
    I'm only using two of those.

One is a combination of Bloom and NH. Always use Bloom when ready, it heals just as much as NT without the cast time. If not ready, use NH.

The other one is a combination of NT and VS for the same reasons.

You can certainly do your @mouseover macros for healing spells, I just don't like them.

Macro 1
    Code:
    #show Bloom
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Bloom
    cast Natural Healing
    Macro 2
    Code:
    #show Nature's Touch
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Nature's Touch
    cast Vile Spores
    Some people tend to set the #show command to the tool tip of the spell without cool down (NH and VS) – I think this is contra productive in this case. You WANT to know if your Bloom and NT are ready to cast. You'll be using NH and VS rarely at best, plus their tool tips don't contain anything of interest.

IX: Closing words
    I would in no way claim that I have already mastered the art of Chloromancer healing, I just feel that with all the outdated information out there, those who truly seek to understand Chloromancer mechanics will have a hard time finding useful threads, so maybe this little compilation will help these kindred souls gain a deeper understanding of their chosen spec.

I'm always open to suggestions and critique, though Trion will most likely prevent me from refining this guide once posted.
    Last edited by ManaKeKz; 09-12-2011 at 10:23 AM.

@mouseover is key.

If you are not using @mouseover you are missing heals (or at best losing time) on a DPS that mispositioned or got picked for random hit.

@mouseover cleanse
    @mouseover bloom
    @mouseover Natural Healing

All those need to be set up separately.

You also do not want to stack Bloom on top of NH, especially if you are 10+ Lock using opportunity as Bloom and Flourish currently consume the proc.

I also wanted to stress the utility of using corrosion as much as possible for AE and even single target pulls. It's not a "DoT" it's more of an pulsing-PBAE-buff on you. Every pulse has a LGV/LBV proc, and will fire trinkets and Greater Essences with an "On Heal" proc.

Toggling on Entropic Vail, starting a Void Life Channel, and ending Entropic Vail allows you to empower your Void Life without consuming charge for 2.5 seconds of its 3 second channel.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

RIFT Community Ambassador bluedot's Avatar

Nature's Fury is considered a AoE/Muli-target spell and does get the reduced healing.

Other then that, well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Hethroin View Post
    @mouseover is key.

If you are not using @mouseover you are missing heals (or at best losing time) on a DPS that mispositioned or got picked for random hit.

@mouseover cleanse
    @mouseover bloom
    @mouseover Natural Healing

All those need to be set up separately.
    I'm more comfortable with swapping targets during the gcd. not like it's difficult or anything, just a personal flavor.

You also do not want to stack Bloom on top of NH, especially if you are 10+ Lock using opportunity as Bloom and Flourish currently consume the proc.
    True, seen that bug. I'm usually using Opportunity procs for NT / NF though, so I didn't care much. Might consider this change though.

I also wanted to stress the utility of using corrosion as much as possible for AE and even single target pulls. It's not a "DoT" it's more of an pulsing-PBAE-buff on you. Every pulse has a LGV/LBV proc, and will fire trinkets and Greater Essences with an "On Heal" proc.
    Didn't know the trinket / essence proccing thing. I did describe its healing effect, but tbh I'm not seeing it as that important. Might change with improving gear though?

Toggling on Entropic Vail, starting a Void Life Channel, and ending Entropic Vail allows you to empower your Void Life without consuming charge for 2.5 seconds of its 3 second channel.
    Now that's a nice trick, thanks for that =) gonna love that one.

Shadowlander

Thanks , good guide !

Quote Originally Posted by bluedot View Post
    Nature's Fury is considered a AoE/Muli-target spell and does get the reduced healing.
    Did some retesting on that right away and you're right. No idea how I messed that up - sorry for it being in the guide and thank you for correcting me.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedot View Post
    Other then that, well done!
    Thanks

I have come to find this doesn't work with macros, but if you have "cast spells on target of target" or whatever it is, it is much easier to heal the tank. Target the tank, then just rotate between Void Life, Nature's Touch, and Natural Healing when needed.

Mostly I only end up using NT when I get an opportunity proc, NH when the tank hasn't targeted another mob yet, and VL just about whenever else. I use mouseover macros for Bloom and ES and Soul Tether. I save ES for "oh ****" moments. I typically use Bloom and/or Flourish for party heals during encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by Korain View Post
    I have come to find this doesn't work with macros, but if you have "cast spells on target of target" or whatever it is, it is much easier to heal the tank. Target the tank, then just rotate between Void Life, Nature's Touch, and Natural Healing when needed.

Mostly I only end up using NT when I get an opportunity proc, NH when the tank hasn't targeted another mob yet, and VL just about whenever else. I use mouseover macros for Bloom and ES and Soul Tether. I save ES for "oh ****" moments. I typically use Bloom and/or Flourish for party heals during encounters.
    That's just about what I'm doing, without the mouseover macros. Just plain old targeting for anyone other than the tank. And VL > NT except for Opportunity procs.

Quote Originally Posted by ManaKeKz View Post
    That's just about what I'm doing, without the mouseover macros. Just plain old targeting for anyone other than the tank. And VL > NT except for Opportunity procs.
    How are you targeting the people though? The @mouseover Macros work on Raid Frames or the Group Frame...I know for me it is a lot easier to just move the mouse to the raid frame and hit the button than worry about clicking a frame or trying to target a party member and if you are in Raid, you can't really use the Fkeys to target.

I find the @mouseover even more essential if I am on Cleanse duty. In Raid Frames, I will see their box flash red just before they get the debuff so I am already moving the mouse to that frame and ready to hit the macro button for cleanse, all without having to change any targets whatsoever.
    Gnume, Dwarven Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Gnume View Post
    How are you targeting the people though? The @mouseover Macros work on Raid Frames or the Group Frame...I know for me it is a lot easier to just move the mouse to the raid frame and hit the button than worry about clicking a frame or trying to target a party member and if you are in Raid, you can't really use the Fkeys to target.

I find the @mouseover even more essential if I am on Cleanse duty. In Raid Frames, I will see their box flash red just before they get the debuff so I am already moving the mouse to that frame and ready to hit the macro button for cleanse, all without having to change any targets whatsoever.
    I just take it one step further and actually click on those frames. Since I do the clicking with the right hand and the casting with the left, it can be done almost simultaneously. During swift target switching, the global cool down gives me enough time to do the targeting.

Rift Disciple

Very nice thread.

Something I find useful is the /focus command and using @focus for targetting. I have a macro with
    #show Bloom
    cast @focus bloom
    cast @focus Essence Surge
    for when I need to tankheal, so I can just tap a key rather than worry about mouseover or retargetting. I tried the target-of-target setting, but it seemed to switch my target rather than leaving it on the tank. This is more reliable, and has the added benefits of the focus target pane.

RIFT Community Ambassador bluedot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akyaevin View Post
    Very nice thread.

Something I find useful is the /focus command and using @focus for targetting. I have a macro with
    #show Bloom
    cast @focus bloom
    cast @focus Essence Surge
    for when I need to tankheal, so I can just tap a key rather than worry about mouseover or retargetting. I tried the target-of-target setting, but it seemed to switch my target rather than leaving it on the tank. This is more reliable, and has the added benefits of the focus target pane.
    If I used this macro I would accidentally cast Essence Surge all the time..

@focus macros are great though

@focus Reflective Command

@focus Natural Conversion

@focus Natural Healing

Endless possibilities really.

If you can edit, you may want to add in a line mentioning that Wild Growth increases enemy damage taken by 10% while active if they are within range. The tooltip says within 10 metres but the debuff doesn't appear on enemy buff frames unless you're within 10m or less, not sure if that's a bug or misworded tooltip.
    Nope.

Slight derail, I apologize.

I have yet to hear of, or use, @focus. How do you set a focus target, and is there a way to automatically switch your target back to them from others?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Korain View Post
    Slight derail, I apologize.

I have yet to hear of, or use, @focus. How do you set a focus target, and is there a way to automatically switch your target back to them from others?
    /focus will make your current target your focus target.

A focus target is sort of an "additional" target, the point is that you can have your "normal" target and focus target active at the same time. Your spells will target your normal target, unless you're using the macros.
    At its most basic level, you can use it for example to keep track of someone's hp. And the more advanced uses are the ones in the macro suggestions. Basically you could bind some key for a focus-Bloom and whenever you hit your "normal" bloom, it hits your normal target, and when you use the focus bloom, it hits your focus target.

Excuse me possibly not being very clear, it's getting late.
    Last edited by Nuisance; 09-12-2011 at 04:21 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast