+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mr. Beacon - Defiler Tank

Shadowlander

Default Mr. Beacon - Defiler Tank

I've had a lot of people asking me about this build and I think by no means it is perfect. I will give it to you as I had it in the video and what I think will be a better build.

This build is used to solo tank Az in BOS. There might be other uses for it like solo tank/healing Titan X and maybe with a really strong group it would work for the Vindi/Isel.

It's fun to use in dungeons and on easy raids. As basically it is a form of damage reduction in itself.

The beacon seems to take your aggro that you build when it's alive. So sometimes it can be difficult to get threat off you.

Right now I'm thinking Hammer of Faith and Doctrine of Loyalty spam are the main ways to build threat quickly after summoning it back.

Remember though, large AOE attacks, like the one G.A.C.K.T. does in the DRR, will hit the beacon and kill you.

You have to pull that beacon back in. It's dangerous to have it out and flailing about willy nilly.

Pros:
    Solo tank Az
    Fun
    A lot of uses.
    Makes Cleric seem cool.

Cons:
    Cleric isn't that cool.
    Beacon has trouble getting aggro after it has died. <- Main con.

Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okWBs9hKnR0
    *Props to Entirety for recording it and editing it. Thanks man. Also he first tanked Az solo with his necro pet. Which inspired me a way to do it with Cleric.

Build used in video- https://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#...l8aklx0/D|PITg

Legendaries:
    Justicar: Hammer of Faith, Even Justice
    Defiler: Rage, Miserly
    Druid: Fairy

Improved build- https://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#...h9hkg/Eg8|PITg

Legendaries:
    Justicar: Hammer of Faith, Even Justice, Salvation
    Defiler: Rage
    Cabalist: Unbounded

The first build was me just seeing if it could be done. I wasn't even sure how long the beacon would last. I just told the raid that, if we wiped, I would switch and use an OT. Got lucky and got it done on the first try.

The first build is something like a wanna be defiler healer with tank. You might as well just use the defihealer with enough in tank for mien of leadership and not use legendary taunt. I have tried that build and included beacon but the beacon was not able to gain enough threat in this manner.

So that's where the second build comes in. I personally think that this one is a much more improved version, however still needs testing.

The 2nd build gives you a lot more points in Justicar to aid hammer spam, defense and doctrine of authority. More healing and damage to Justicar abilities in general. You get 6 points to do what you want with. In this one I went into Cabalist for the damage reduction. As if this build was going to try and solo tank Vindi/Isel, you'd want more damage reduction. But if you are doing dungeons and other content, use the druid fairy legendary.

With Defiler abilities not building enough threat, it seems like going more into that just doesn't make sense if you tried to do something harder than Az. My first build could just be boiled down to Beacon and Hammer of Faith.

IF we could reliably get threat onto the beacon after re-summoning, this build could be the future for Cleric tanking in PVE or at least a really fun build to play with. If you have seen my other posts, I consider Cleric to be Wheel Chair tier. So at least this is something fun to mess with.

How to play:

1.Buff up

2.Summon beacon early in the fight or have it already out and positioned where you want it.

3.Pull and get your dots and buffs/debuffs up on boss.

4. Spam hammer macro. When you are getting hit you can use, Precept of Refuge, to increase block chance.

5. Watch for beacon to take aggro and watch it's health while spamming hammer and maintaining buffs/debuffs.

Macros:

#show Righteous Mandate
    suppressmacrofailures
    target Beacon of Despair
    cast Righteous Mandate
    //Iso sent me a message with this one. Well something like this. The point is to get your mandate on the Beacon.

#show Soul Stream
    suppressmacrofailures
    target Beacon of Despair
    cast Soul Stream

#show Vicar's bulwark
    suppressmacrofailures
    target Beacon of Despair
    cast Vicar's bulwark
    //Depending on which you prefer.

#show Summon Beacon of Despair
    suppressmacrofailures
    cancelbuff Summon Beacon of Despair
    //Use this is cancel your beacon when you need to.

#show Hammer of Faith
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Strike of Retribution
    cast Doctrine of Authority
    cast Hammer of Faith
    cast Bolt of Radiance
    cast Reckoning
    cast Rage Extraction
    cast Break Free
    cast Fading Light
    //Main Spam

#show Marrow Harvest
    cast Marrow Harvest
    cast Siphon Vitality
    //Both need to be used every 30 seconds

#show Provoke
    cast Provoke
    cast Reckoning
    #Taunt with Reckoning behind it. Something I like personally.

#show Bond of Pain
    cast Furious Might
    cast Bond of Pain
    cast Hammer of Faith
    cast Bolt of Radiance
    cast Strike of Judgment
    cast Rage Extraction
    //Macro Specific to first build

I wrote this really quick at the office so I apologize for any mistakes.
    *Wheelchair tires squeaking sound, fades away into the distance.

Cool stuff Bara.

Just a few suggestions for improvement.

A few /targetlasttarget lines in the first 3 macros may help a bit.

I'd put Strike of Retribution above break free and fading light in the spam macro. This way it goes off mid GCD instead of delaying your abilities.

If the beacon dies or gets dismissed I think it's pretty much a lost cause ever getting it above you in the threat list since it don't have a taunt. But a macro along the lines of...

#show Hammer of Duty
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast hammer of duty
    cast bolt of radiance
    cast strike of retribution

...may help. That's a huge threat bomb right there

Here's a crazy idea...

Have you thought about really janking it up and bringing 3 tanks at once?

https://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#...k4L1gGE8w|PITg

Sepelio@wolfsbane | Stabbytha@wolfsbane | Gunsho@wolfsbane | Stelatrix@wolfsbane | Sidereus@wolfsbane | Vespa@Wolfsbane

I'm an old fart. Get off my lawn! <Old Farts>@Wolfsbane

Soulwalker

#show Righteous Mandate
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Beacon of Despair
    cast bolt of radiance
    cast @pet Righteous Mandate

#show Soul Stream
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @pet Soul Stream

fixed....

I stick BOR between beacon and mandate to help establish threat since it is on a cd and does a pretty big chunk of threat, also since pets dont get aoe healing, healers need to use cast @focus or cast @targettarget to actually heal the beacon, which should keep it alive much longer. Since the beacon has built-in intercept it's 350k hp is really 700k, actually all those druid pet buffs likely bump this up way higher, depending on how the druid buffs are counted brings the passive dmg mitigation up to 60-80% with strength of the far this is pretty close to 100% dmg mit, same with 85% dmg shields.

you could prolly solo tank vind/isiel and maybe even titan but i think that would be a bit much to figure out how to manage

Can you double dip on pets? maybe worth it to move around some points and get the melee or caster druid pet.

I also wonder if inquis would be a better choice than druid leg sanction with bolt of ret could do a lot of damage defiler dots should ensure snact procs, hammer to build stacks for free bod then bor until conviction are full the passives should boost your hammer and defiler dots as well would be alot of cds and buttons to press though.

i am out of game and need to look at the real trees but maybe....

something like this?
    https://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#...4i4/n8Gkh9kgAg
    Last edited by beefy1212; 06-10-2019 at 11:42 PM.

Soulwalker

sent you a pm with a completely out in left field idea....

where do you guys get fading light from? i noob and cant remember where its from

King of Slackers

Quote Originally Posted by Knights Imperium View Post
    where do you guys get fading light from? i noob and cant remember where its from
    Dusk Planar Attunement
    Keepro - King of Slackers - NewHorizons - Contend
    Youtube
    Twitch

+ Reply to Thread