+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zehne

Thread: Justicar Rotation for new tanks.

Soulwalker

Default Justicar Rotation for new tanks.

I was helping a friend learn the Justicar spells and thought I'd make a rotation guide, as I couldn't find one similar to my setup. This spam macro is different from most that I've seen and the rotation suits Punishing Strike over soulstream. I will explain the macro at the end. This build takes advantage of extra damage via PS, vex, SH while still maintaining full Mitigation.

The Build:
    61 Just
    8 Inq (5 Planar 2 Corporal 1 Armor)
    7 Sham (5 Thick 1 Courage 1 Vicious)

Masteries:
    61 RP
    62 DI
    63 SJ for raid. or FF; for anything other than tanking a raid
    64 Div or SA
    65 PS

The Legendaries: EJ, HoF, BoJ, TA, Salv.

The Spam Macro:

#show Strike of Retribution
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Strike of Retribution
    cast Precept of Refuge
    cast Bolt of radiance
    cast Punishing Strike
    cast Sanction Heretic
    cast Reckoning
    cast Break Free

Note: SoR will not not always proc per 1 spam cycle, and sometimes more than once.
    Note: Reckoning is clipped out as soon as DoA is up. You should be able to get a Sanction Heretic out each cycle, depending on interrupts and raid situations of course.

After the pull and aggro has been established..
    The single target rotation is split up into 15 second increments:

Spam full cycle
    15sec: DoA>HoD
    Spam full cycle
    30sec: DoA>DoG
    Spam full cycle
    45sec: DoA>HoD
    Spam full cycle
    1minute: DoA>HoD>TA>HoD (pray for a crit from HoD here)

1minute: Just Defence and Reprieve. Situational (I leave JD for this next scenario, great for solo'ing)

Not that this will happen much in raids but If u find yourself in trouble with no convictions or Total Assurance, Reprieve cooldowns, or the healer is dead:
    JD>EJ>DoB>DoB>EJ>DoB. this will heal u over halfway at least.

Notes on the macro:
    SoR is a no-global which I feel needs to be at number 1 position, it can proc right before a PoR and give u a double-hitting feeling. Also the "#show Strike of Retribution" allows you to monitor when its off CD and u can get another free hit in without messing up your rotation at all. I think this has been overlooked on several of the guides I have seen. Of course, 2 procs in one spam cycle isn't common, but when it does its still an extra hit at no cost.

This Rotation requires Divine inspiration for it to work (" DoA consumes no conviction..")
    It also works better with Faiths Freedom instead of Steady Assault, SH applies vex for a free Dot. In a raid, switch this to SA for the Guard buff, and this will not affect the rotation.

Also I leave DoL out of my rotation, I feel it is a wasted conviction and the extra GDC wont fit into this rotation, you are already giving plenty of raid heals via: DoA, Salv, DoG. Maybe u can hit DoL when the raid needs a little top up, but I don't think it has priority in a rotation.
    SoulStream doesn't feel right in this build, even though u can move while channeling, I think PS has a better instant damage and allows u to continue your spam. If u need to heal and ally use Intercede.

I encourage your positive feedback and constructive criticism, hope this helps a new tank out.
    Last edited by Anamorphosis; 04-09-2017 at 09:41 PM.

idk why things like this pop up alot.

L HoF is > any non-justicar dps ability as tank.

If your ST rotation doesn't have HOF HOF HOF HOF you're probably doing it wrong. Turns out 7x convictions on the aoe hammer hits much harder than most any other ability even without mien of leadership active.

But with mien of leadership active forget it. The simple fact is that L HoF is only trumped by DoA and HoD. But since HoD consumes all charges and HoF can be spammed, HD is a dps loss at times since the difference can't make up for the 2-3 gcd's spent rebuilding convictions to use HoF again.

The reason why you don't see 'rotation guides' is because HoF is the rotation.

It's pretty simple: HoF, HoF, HoF, maybe toss in other abilities for their buffs like:
    • Runspeed
    • Block
    • DoG
    But only DoG consumes convictions, so that is really the only time you have to think about modifying the HoF rotation to account for re-building convictions.

Also, having an ogcd ability at the head of a macro is the biggest no-no in game. It causes macro lag and will cost you APM. With ogcd at the tail of macro you get all the glorious usability (when spamming macro) with almost none of the macro lag.

Ascendant

You've listed 4 legendaries from the Justicar soul.
    I think you want Total Assurance, Even Justice and Hammer of Faith
    Archy Mage, Face, Prime, Primal Rouge, Rogue, Eric, W, @ Laethys --- Nefarious ---

-I'd rather have an extra CD with Soulstream than another 5k dps from Punishing strike.

-I wouldn't put Break Free in your main spam macro. Things are very situational for tanks and I'd rather have Break Free available if I'm stunned at a key moment when I need to pick up adds or interupt.

- TA and Hammer legendaries are the must haves. I use Salvation but the last one can be either that or EJ.

- IMO you are centering the build around DoA too much. I prefer BP as my 62 mastery for 2% more healing and 5% more crit
    T for Trinity
    42k Achievement Points Club
    I has stream https://www.twitch.tv/boase Add me on GW2 Boase.6204 or Bnet Boase!#1862

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Archyface View Post
    You've listed 4 legendaries from the Justicar soul.
    I think you want Total Assurance, Even Justice and Hammer of Faith
    ah ty, yeah I missed that

Soulwalker

"It's pretty simple: HoF, HoF, HoF, maybe toss in other abilities for their buffs like:
    • Runspeed
    • Block
    • DoG
    "

U contradict yourself here, these are part of the spam macro, and with PoR on such a short cooldown, spamming HoF gives u no room and poor buff management. Also why advise ppl to spam an AE ability on a ST boss fight. If a Justicar can spam HoF from one end of the raid to the other which any sane raid leader would not allow, then it will get nerfed, best to learn the abilities now and get used to it. u say DoA and HoD trumps HoF, yet that's exactly what this rotation is built around, I think maybe u haven't tried this rot on a dummy...
    Last edited by Anamorphosis; 04-10-2017 at 04:16 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Boase View Post
    -I'd rather have an extra CD with Soulstream than another 5k dps from Punishing strike.

-I wouldn't put Break Free in your main spam macro. Things are very situational for tanks and I'd rather have Break Free available if I'm stunned at a key moment when I need to pick up adds or interupt.

- TA and Hammer legendaries are the must haves. I use Salvation but the last one can be either that or EJ.

- IMO you are centering the build around DoA too much. I prefer BP as my 62 mastery for 2% more healing and 5% more crit
    a year or so ago, my offtank was doing 20% more dps than me, and we were geared almost exactly the same, that spurred me into finding more dps. I wanted to be the best main tank, and I also wanted to to maximise what little threat gains I got from dps. I found this Rot put me above my offtank by 5%, from that day forward I have used this Rot. Also I put breakfree in there for the new tanks, mine is on separate key. I wanted to simplify the UI as much as possible, still got 2 ability bars full Also I thgt the DoA mastery meant that it gives more healing than 2%, since it is used every 15seconds instead of never. Im going to try BP now without DoA and also parse what this other guy says "just spam HoF". I appreciate the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Anamorphosis View Post
    U contradict yourself here, these are part of the spam macro, and with PoR on such a short cooldown, spamming HoF gives u no room and poor buff management. Also why advise ppl to spam an AE ability on a ST boss fight.

The Spam Macro:

#show Strike of Retribution
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Precept of Refuge
    cast Bolt of radiance
    cast Punishing Strike
    cast Sanction Heretic
    cast Reckoning
    cast Break Free
    Well let's see here:
    Bolt of radiance does ~~half the damage of HoF and has no beneficial effect, so you're using it SOLEY FOR DAMAGE.

Punishing Strike does ~~1/3rd the damage of HoF but has no beneficial effect (unless you have druid in your spec), which yours didn't, even then it's a 5% damage increase for a short time and is still not worth it especially when you have to sacrifice a self heal c/d to get this mastery. SO YOU ARE USING IT SOLEY FOR DAMAGE

Sanction Heretic, does again, about half the damage of HoF even if you include vex damage, etc. It has no other effect SO YOU ARE USING IT SOLEY FOR DAMAGE

So why use HoF?
    Because you have 3 abilities in your macro that are used soley for damage. And HoF does 2x as much damage as them ST, and 20x as much damage as them when there are 10x targets

HoF Also AoE spreads censure (so when there are more than 1 target it reduces your damage taken by 5% AND increases your dps)

HoF is better than Bolt of Radiance, Sanction and Punishing strike for ST dps. That is why you use it.

Because when you arn't trying to actually be an effective tank you might as well chip in some dps.

But somehow you're following the logic that an ability has to say 'single target' to be used for single target
    • Which is beyond laughably bad logic in rift.
      • Just ask any mage about how AoE abilities are the best ST abilities
    Also this somehow all skips the logic that the tanks ACTUAL JOB is to be a tank. Not a dps. Which as Boase kindly pointed out, you're wasting some very important abilities by putting them in a macro or by taking the wrong mastery.

I think I stated it pretty clearly: If you're dps'ing as a justicar, you use HoF. That simple.
    If you don't have PoR, Censure, Reckoning(which is just run-speed and optional), then you use those abilities to gain the buffs.

I didn't say "you only use HoF", I said

"Bolt of radiance is worse than HoF, so don't use it. Sanction Heretic is worse than HoF, so don't use it. Reckoning (for dps) is worse than HoF, so don't use it(for dps). Punishing strike is worse than HoF, so don't use it (also, if you even have Punishing strike you're doing something wrong)."

It's that simple. It doesn't matter that HoF is 'AE', it does more damage than those other damaging abilities ST. Which means it is better in all situations, not just AE.

The reason this post is so long is because I feel it is necessary to state it time and time again that HoF is better for dps than any of those other abilities that have 0 effect on buffs/debuffs. The reason I feel this way is because you so clearly didn't grasp that concept the first time I said it.

tl;dr
    best to learn the abilities now and get used to it
    But as you said earlier this is your spec from a year ago. A year ago you didn't have a HoF that was spammable. Today you do.

Used your macro:
    Did 36k dps
    Spammed HoF 100% the time:
    Did 48.85k dps
    Replaced Bolt of Radiance, Sanction Heretic and Punishing strike in your macro with HoF
    Did 42k dps
    Moved Strike of Retribution (you know that ogcd ability) to the end of the macro
    Did 43.68k dps
    Used HoD -> Total Assurance -> spammed the above macro
    Did 62k dps
    Used
    Code:
    cast Precept of Refuge
    cast Doctrine of Authority
    cast Hammer of Faith
    did 50k dps.
    Went back to your macro, Used HoD-> TA -> HoD, spammed your macro and used HoD @ 7x convictions each time
    Did 57k dps
    Basically what i'm trying to say is that there were no times in which your macro/abilities were even close to beating HoF for pure dps EXCEPT the time where you used a C/D and always sacrificed all convictions for pure dps (never leaving any for using DoG in case of actually needing to tank things as a tank)

In other-words, even when you gimp yourself as a tank, that macro does lower dps than spamming a single ability for dps.

It's pretty simple, HoF IS THE ROTATION. Add other abilities that boost tank (give you buffs) as needed (there are only 3 of them, and one of them is only runspeed, the other two are very minor as well)

EDIT:
    AND TO BE VERY VERY CLEAR, this was all single target damage with 0 cleave.
    Last edited by Zehne; 04-10-2017 at 06:56 PM.

+ Reply to Thread