+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Purifier - An In-Depth Guide (3.6)

Rift Disciple

Default Purifier - An In-Depth Guide (3.6)

It has severely frustrated me that there are no in-depth guides provided to one of the most necessary tank-healing specs (and the most OP cleric one), and that a lot of people simply don't know how to use the Purifier soul effectively. While Burninalways' guide is a good starting point, it offers very little into the more advanced playstyles and there are many Rift bosses balanced around a good Purifier. With that said, here is a (hopefully) more detailed guide.

P.S.: I'd like to thank Burninalways, as I blatantly stole a lot of his macros and skill descriptions because I'm too lazy to retype them. There will be some tweaks, and I will do my best to explain why I have changed certain areas that are different from his guide.

Standard Spec:
    61 Purifier, 13 Sentinel, 2 Oracle

This is the standard spec for use in raids. Compared to the 11 Sentinel/4 Oracle spec, it offers slightly less spellpower (4%), in exchange for a 1% overall healing and absorption increase (from taking points in Sentinel over Oracle) and a 6% healing and absorption increase on targets below 75% health. This will help significantly more in refilling a tank's health bar, and the absorption cap (absorbs cannot go beyond 50% of max HP) reduces the effectiveness of straight spellpower on absorbs when the tank is at or close to max health (a lot of it goes to waste).

Alternative Specs:
    61 Purifier, 13 Sentinel, 2 Oracle - Non Pushback

This is an alternate to the standard spec accounting for pushback in raids. I will explain the reasoning behind this in the Playstyle section.

61 Purifier, 13 Sentinel, 2 Inquisitor - Non Oracle

54 Purifier, 21 Sentinel, 1 Oracle - Healer's Covenant Variation

I'm sure there are many people who will question this particular variant, and there are quite a few flavors to this one based on your own healing preferences. There are many different ways to spec the Healer's Covenant variant of Purifier and I have not really found them to be too different. The reasons I listed this one are as follows:

1. 1sec GCD ST cleanses.
    2. Double AoE (10 people) cleanse, one of which is 1sec GCD.
    3. Healer's Covenant duh! (40% reduced damage for 10 seconds, 1 minute cooldown).

You can mess with the point spread on your own for different fights, mainly more spellpower from Oracle and no reduced GCD from Sentinel cleanses.

Masteries:
    Level 61 - Righteous Protection
    Level 62 - Divine Inspiration
    Level 63 - Meditation (alternate: Faith's Freedom)
    Level 64 - Faith's Reward (alternate: Diversify NOT RECOMMENDED)
    Level 65 - Divine Favor

The Divine Favor mastery is pretty much a required skill for Purifiers, as our base heals (not counting absorption) are pretty weak and you need this to top off the tank in raid situations. I would not recommend Soul Stream, as it has a pretty nasty delay before the first tick for healing which can leave a tank dead in the exact scenarios that you need it the most.

In dungeons, you can use Divine Favor on other party members to top them off if you are confident in your tank heals without it. In raids, it is much more preferable to put them on tanks, with the last one (not many fights require more than 2 tanks) at your discretion based on mechanics required.

Faith's Reward will be explained in Playstyles. Diversify can be used to increase the number of Purifier signs applied, but this is a relatively weak boost and the strengths of Faith's Reward will be explored later.

Meditation will help with your mana problems. Purifier has a lot of mana problems. You will have even mana problems if you opt into the playstyle covered in this guide. Faith's Freedom is only for a Battle Rez at full health, which you might need in some situations if you don't mind using a mana potion or three per boss pull.

Buffs:
    Boon of Vitality
    Heroic Resolve
    Wisdom of the Ages
    Caregiver's Blessing
    Sign of Faith

As you use another Sign due to Diversify you can choose between Sign of Daring or Sign of Anticipation.
    You will sometimes have to reapply Sign of Faith when swapping between those two.
    Sign of Daring - Use when the Tank is just fighting a Boss, with little to no adds.
    Sign of Anticipation - Use when the Tank is engaging trash or lots of adds on a Boss fight.

Tank Buff:
    Eruption

Standard Playstyle:
    Before the fight cast Latent Blaze on the tank. This will proc if the tank survives a large hit (is below 30% after a single damage tick), but will not prevent 1-shot mechanics.

Symbol usage is very important to manage in Purifier. Placing a Symbol of the Sun (the stronger Symbol) on a target will increase all of your Fire-based healing by 20% on the target. It is important to keep this buff up at all times on all active tanks.

Aside from that, however, your Symbols will also refresh once if they are 100% consumed within 3s of their application. By pre-empting large damage mechanics, you can double your Symbol's effectiveness without gambling on a Clear the Coals proc, which removes Burnout on the target and allows you to reapply your Symbol.

Standard Rotation is Ward of Flames x2 -> (instant) Ward of Fire. By taking Faith's Reward you can also hold onto an instant Ward of Scorching (if necessary), but do note that casting instant Ward of Fires will consume Faith's Reward stacks even with the necessary stacks from Ward of Flames. Ward of Scorching casts are therefore not recommended, especially due to 1) extremely high mana costs in a mana hungry spec 2) likely a waste due to absorption cap.

If you can save the cooldown, it is recommended that you continue to channel Ward of Flames as long as the tank is not taking much damage, as an instant cast Ward of Fire is helpful in reacting to moderate burst tank damage. High burst will either proc your Latent Blaze, or require a stronger cooldown (Spiritual Conflagration) or multiple in concert (either Flashover and/or Fiery Will) with Ward of Fire.

Why would you even want to take Faith's Reward, then? The reason for taking it is due to the unique interaction arising from Faith's Reward, Ward of Flames buff stacks, your own global cooldowns (1.5sec), and Divine Favor.

Before the introduction of masteries, a single cast of Ward of Flames would allow you to cast Ward of Fire with a 1.5sec cast time, which is exactly in line of with your global cooldown and maximize (and even out) total healing throughput for a given parse. With masteries, however, you can achieve a 1.5sec cast of Ward of Fire within 2 secs of your channel of Ward of Flames (2 stacks of Ward of Flames buff, 1 stack of Faith's Reward). This changes the maximum healing throughput rotation to this:

Ward of Flames (2sec, clip channel) -> Ward of Fire (1.5sec cast)

There are three main advantages to healing like this:
    1. Ward of Flames only procs your Divine Favor once (at the start). Extending the channel will not allow you to proc Divine Favor again, which reduces your healing on tanks (who should have them anyway).
    2. Prevents waste with Faith's Reward stacks consuming.
    3. Movement heavy phases will allow Faith's Reward to stack up (through the use of any healing spell at all, and at 5 stacks you can quickly cast a Ward of Fire (0.5sec cast) or Ward of Scorching (instant), to mitigate Purifier's lack of mobility.

This healing setup is designed to take advantage of the very very strong Divine Favor procs on tanks (can crit for 30k in raid setups). However, the downside is that this rotation is even more mana hungry than the standard rotation, which means mana management becomes crucial for Purifiers in any extended engagement (beyond 3 minutes).

Please also note that if you do end up hard casting Ward of Fire often, you will suffer from Pushback (taking damage while casting increases cast times by 0.3sec per tick of damage) on damage from casting that will increase your cast times and render most of the advantages of the spec moot. Consider using the first alternate spec to prevent this problem with heavy raid-damage encounters.

Useful abilities you need to know about:
    Spoiler!

Macros:
    These will help, though you can make your own to suit your needs.

#show Healing Breath
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @mouseoverui Healing Breath
    cast @mouseoverui Healing Flare

#show Symbol of the Sun
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @mouseoverui Symbol of the Sun

#show Symbol of the Torch
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @mouseoverui Symbol of the Torch

#show Latent Blaze
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Flashover
    cast Touch the Light
    cast Latent Blaze

#show Symbol of the Sun
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @group01 Symbol of the Sun
    cast @group02 Symbol of the Sun
    cast @group03 Symbol of the Sun
    cast @group04 Symbol of the Torch
    cast @group05 Symbol of the Torch

#show Sterilize
    suppressmacrofailures
    stopcasting
    cast @mouseoverui Sterilize

#show Cauterize
    suppressmacrofailures
    stopcasting
    cast @mouseoverui Cauterize
    cast @group01 Cauterize
    cast @group02 Cauterize
    cast @group03 Cauterize
    cast @group04 Cauterize
    cast @group05 Cauterize
    cast @group06 Cauterize
    cast @group07 Cauterize
    cast @group08 Cauterize
    cast @group09 Cauterize
    cast @group10 Cauterize
    cast @group11 Cauterize
    cast @group12 Cauterize
    cast @group13 Cauterize
    cast @group14 Cauterize
    cast @group15 Cauterize
    cast @group16 Cauterize
    cast @group17 Cauterize
    cast @group18 Cauterize
    cast @group19 Cauterize
    cast @group20 Cauterize

#show Fire Wall
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @gtae Fire Wall
    cast Fire Wall

KAlerts I Use:
    Spoiler!

Please let me know if there are any questions or comments. I do believe this will be my first post on the Rift Forums as well, despite having played the game for a significant amount of time.
    Last edited by Lyrine; 06-18-2016 at 09:01 AM. Reason: KAlerts
    Lyrine@Deepwood <-Virus->
    RIP <Nephilim>
    RIP <White Fang>

Telaran

Glad someone finally wrote an updated guide.

One QoL thing that I might add in there is to put

stopcasting

at the top of your cleanse macros. Several mechanics will one-shot a person if not cleansed, so in many cases you don't want to be channeling for 3 seconds (and hopefully not hardcasting something like Ward of Scorching) and need to wait for the channel/cast to finish before you can cleanse.

Might also be useful to discuss putting the active or second tank on focus and adjusting your macros to reflect that so you don't always have to mouseover your heal/shield/ward recipient. But that's a super-minor thing.

Also, maybe kalerts showing stacks of stuff would be good. I find it helpful during raids to how many stacks of FR I have; if I know a move is coming soon I'll drop a few shields or channel a WoF to get to 5 so I know I'll have an instant cast Ward.
    Last edited by spago; 06-16-2016 at 11:58 AM.

Please also note that if you do end up hard casting Ward of Fire often, you will suffer from Pushback (taking damage while casting increases cast times by 0.3sec per tick of damage) on damage from casting that will increase your cast times and render most of the advantages of the spec moot. Consider using the first alternate spec to prevent this problem with heavy raid-damage encounters.
    You do not need to spec for pushback reduction whatsoever. I've never spec'd for it and it's never been an issue with going with a basic rotation for Flame => Fire (with BOTF + FR stacks).

It's a waste of points no matter what.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by spago View Post
    Glad someone finally wrote an updated guide.

One QoL thing that I might add in there is to put

stopcasting

at the top of your cleanse macros. Several mechanics will one-shot a person if not cleansed, so in many cases you don't want to be channeling for 3 seconds (and hopefully not hardcasting something like Ward of Scorching) and need to wait for the channel/cast to finish before you can cleanse.

Might also be useful to discuss putting the active or second tank on focus and adjusting your macros to reflect that so you don't always have to mouseover your heal/shield/ward recipient. But that's a super-minor thing.

Also, maybe kalerts showing stacks of stuff would be good. I find it helpful during raids to how many stacks of FR I have; if I know a move is coming soon I'll drop a few shields or channel a WoF to get to 5 so I know I'll have an instant cast Ward.
    Thanks for the feedback! I'll put the stop-casting in.

As for the rest, I'm a little leery about putting @focus in, since some players may choose to focus the boss to react to mechanics faster. This is also why I didn't include @targetoftarget or something similar.

I'll put up my kalerts later, but I don't think mine are very suitable since I've received complaints from guild mates when I share mine that they're too small to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Riane View Post
    You do not need to spec for pushback reduction whatsoever. I've never spec'd for it and it's never been an issue with going with a basic rotation for Flame => Fire (with BOTF + FR stacks).

It's a waste of points no matter what.
    This is where we will have to disagree. I assume your basic rotation involves casting Fire with BOTF/FR stacks after a full Flame channel, where you never have to account for pushback at all. If you do Flame (full channel) into Fire, you end up with 3 stacks of BOTF and 1 stack of FR, which means your Fire casts are 1sec (your GCD is 1.5sec), and the first application of pushback will only push the Fire cast to 1.3sec (still within 1GCD), and you'll very very rarely have more than 1 pushback application per cast.

If you opt into the higher throughput healing rotation of Flame (clip) -> Fire (cast), then your Fire casts can always be affected by pushback, because you've reduced a stack of BOTF and your Fire casts start at 1.5sec, and the first application of pushback puts at 1.8sec (beyond 1GCD). The tradeoff you've made is:

Higher overall healing/absorption (over a 15 second rotation of Flame -> Fire, you've cast Fire 4 times, proc'd Divine Favor 9 times, compared to casting Fire 3 times and proccing Divine Favor 7 times)

Versus more mana consumption, slightly less beneficial talent spread.

I believe the trade off to be worth it. And as I've implied in the guide, the pushback version is only for the case where you opt into hard casting Fire with just enough stacks for you to fit it in your GCD. If you choose not to opt into the playstyle, there's really nothing I can do to convince you that this will actually increase your HPS/APS if you're not forced to move.
    RIP <Nephilim>
    RIP <White Fang>

Quote Originally Posted by Lyrine View Post
    This is where we will have to disagree. I assume your basic rotation involves casting Fire with BOTF/FR stacks after a full Flame channel, where you never have to account for pushback at all. If you do Flame (full channel) into Fire, you end up with 3 stacks of BOTF and 1 stack of FR, which means your Fire casts are 1sec (your GCD is 1.5sec), and the first application of pushback will only push the Fire cast to 1.3sec (still within 1GCD), and you'll very very rarely have more than 1 pushback application per cast.

If you opt into the higher throughput healing rotation of Flame (clip) -> Fire (cast), then your Fire casts can always be affected by pushback, because you've reduced a stack of BOTF and your Fire casts start at 1.5sec, and the first application of pushback puts at 1.8sec (beyond 1GCD). The tradeoff you've made is:

Higher overall healing/absorption (over a 15 second rotation of Flame -> Fire, you've cast Fire 4 times, proc'd Divine Favor 9 times, compared to casting Fire 3 times and proccing Divine Favor 7 times)

Versus more mana consumption, slightly less beneficial talent spread.

I believe the trade off to be worth it. And as I've implied in the guide, the pushback version is only for the case where you opt into hard casting Fire with just enough stacks for you to fit it in your GCD. If you choose not to opt into the playstyle, there's really nothing I can do to convince you that this will actually increase your HPS/APS if you're not forced to move.
    You can disagree but the 2 points for pushback reduction is a waste, no matter what other argument is presented here. Those 2 points are much more beneficial in another passive. That's all there is to it.

Rift Disciple

You can disagree but the 2 points for pushback reduction is a waste, no matter what other argument is presented here. Those 2 points are much more beneficial in another passive. That's all there is to it.
    To be perfectly honest here, you haven't offered any real insight as to why you think the pushback is a waste beyond your personal anecdote, which I have quoted below:

I'll list the alternatives. The viable options you have for the other two points are:

2 points in +%SP from oracle
    2 points in +%heal from sentinel

The tradeoff between pushback for these two options are:

+4% spellpower, -1% healing (effect of Oracle vs Sentinel soul trees)
    +2% healing

Just for arguments sake, I'll go into more detail regarding my previous post in response to yours. Note that again, you should not clip Ward of Flames to hard cast Ward of Fire without pushback because of the risk it presents:

"Standard" rotation:
    Ward of Flame (full channel), -> Ward of Fire (1sec cast)
    Time required: 4.5sec
    Healing Throughput in 15secs: 10 ticks of Ward of Flames, 3 casts of Ward of Fire, 7 Divine Favor procs

"Alternate" rotation:
    Ward of Flame (clip, 2sec channel) -> Ward of Fire (1.5sec cast)
    Time required: 3.5sec
    Healing Throughput in 15secs: 9 ticks of Ward of Flames, 4 casts of Ward of Fire, 9 Divine Favor procs

I have also already covered the effects of pushback versus a longer (1.5sec) cast time, and explained how the alternate rotation would not work as effectively without pushback reduction, and included an actual build without pushback as the main point spread.

Please don't reduce this guide to pointless pedantic arguments without real substance. This is supposed to help newer players gain a better understanding of how Purifier functions at a higher level.
    RIP <Nephilim>
    RIP <White Fang>

Fia

It's not complete, but I'll just dump this graphical "guide" I made fairly recently here:

https://i.imgur.com/2HrsUwv.png
    Fiia@Typhiria | Asthea@Hailol
    Cleric-Heal/Tank/DD | Lvl70

Now with new Prime Content! -> http://youtube.com/astheatv

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Fia View Post
    It's not complete, but I'll just dump this graphical "guide" I made fairly recently here:

I like this! Can I steal it? I'm much less artistically inclined compared to many others.

Ok, a little serious discussion follows. Just a few nitpicks of mine on that chart.

I feel like the Purifier spec is first and foremost meant to keep the tanks alive. In most of the current available content (i.e. CoA), the Purifier has to work very hard to heal through certain content by themselves, especially if you're running healing setups like say, Puri/Lib + No Defiler on Duke Ebilius currently. You can get away with running a 54 Puri setup if you know your raid healer is strong enough to cover for you without Flame of Life, but there are always times where it would be much better to have it than to go without (unless you have a Paladin tank).

With that said, I'm somewhat against what I believe is 'wasting' GCDs for doing certain things such as swapping Divine Favor in a fight, or putting Latent Blaze/Symbols on everyone during non-raid damage phases. I've had situations where I misjudged the tank burst when reapplying Latent Blaze and the tank go from full HP to dead because Latent Blaze doesn't proc if the tank goes from above 30% to dead in a single damage application. While it's important to use your Symbols properly for certain mechanics (Fygnaros DoT comes to mind), it's also equally important to trust in your raid healer to know what they're doing because you cannot expect to keep everyone up 100% of the time, and if you split focus to heal non-tanks the tanks will likely die.

It's good to try to keep everyone alive as a healer. Just always keep in mind your limits and priorities.
    RIP <Nephilim>
    RIP <White Fang>

Quote Originally Posted by Fia View Post

Unless something has changed, fiery will doesn't affect flame of life. I'm also fairly certain flash over only affects the first tick, or doesn't affect it at all. Either way, it's a waste and flashover should be saved for gathering.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDaemon View Post
    Unless something has changed, fiery will doesn't affect flame of life. I'm also fairly certain flash over only affects the first tick, or doesn't affect it at all. Either way, it's a waste and flashover should be saved for gathering.
    Correct, Flashover and Fiery Will do not affect Flames of Life. You'll see that Flashover is never consumed when you use it nor do any of the ticks change. The only thing that would affect it is Beastmaster's Command to Stand Ground since that increases maximum health by 25% and Flames of Life is based off of 150% of maximum health. So you'd have to use it while you still have CTSG on you but otherwise nothing in Cleric healing souls will affect FOL. Fiery Will + Flashover + Gathering of the Flames is always the way to go.

Also, that reminds me: Flames of Life and Gathering of the Flames do stack. Heard this while watching a stream for someone's guild in this thread where their Puri said they didn't stack o.O.
    Last edited by Riane; 06-17-2016 at 03:11 PM. Reason: type 2 fast, errors galore

Fia

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDaemon View Post
    Oh thanks, didn't even notice. I'll test it out today or tomorrow and correct it. \ (: /
    Last edited by Fia; 06-18-2016 at 02:58 AM.

Fia

Quote Originally Posted by Lyrine View Post
    I like this! Can I steal it? I'm much less artistically inclined compared to many others.
    Sure you can, but as others have pointed out, it's not 100% correct. I'll correct it sometime this weekend.

Also I'm not really a design professional, but if you want to do stuff like this, just use draw.io (that's what I used). Really awesome site for stuff like this. :D
    Last edited by Fia; 06-18-2016 at 02:52 AM.

Shadowlander

i can't find 'Boon of Vitality'. am i blind or is it removed?
    <mage> what should I give sister for unzipping?
    <Kevyn> Um. Ten bucks?
    <mage> no I mean like, WinZip?

Quote Originally Posted by turrican242 View Post
    i can't find 'Boon of Vitality'. am i blind or is it removed?
    Don't worry about it. It's an oracle buff that doesn't stack with the bard/oracle's full strength END buff.

Thanks for the guide, this is really great stuff.

I'm wondering how often you actually find yourself spamming your alternative rotation within a raid setting? I understand the math behind it makes it pretty obvious that a 2s channel + 1.5s cast will undoubtedly allow for higher throughput on a standstill fight or on a dummy parse due to Divine Favor procs.

I haven't raided current content so take these questions as playing devil's advocate.

If you can save the cooldown, it is recommended that you continue to channel Ward of Flames as long as the tank is not taking much damage, as an instant cast Ward of Fire is helpful in reacting to moderate burst tank damage. High burst will either proc your Latent Blaze, or require a stronger cooldown (Spiritual Conflagration) or multiple in concert (either Flashover and/or Fiery Will) with Ward of Fire.
    It seems like you're suggesting that when there is minimal tank damage going out, it's smarter to just continue to spam your channeled ability, which to me, sort of nullifies your argument for pushback points because chances are you'll have an instant proc (5 stacks built). If this is the case, I think the spell power increase is definitely more valuable than the pushback, no? Not to mention the base increases associated with 4% base spell power could be pretty substantial (LB, GoTF, SC, RotF).

Again, definitely not arguing that pushback should be more valuable with the standard or alternative rotations, more of a practical question about using it in a raid environment where mobility might be a problem.

Thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast