+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By ChinaPandaMan
  • 1 Post By Croix01

Thread: Cabalist Guide

Default Cabalist Guide

Some Words to Start

There are two reasons that made me to make this guide.

1) For the preset contest because being a non-patron is hard during the recent CoA progression.
    2) Just overall lack of knowledge and sources to pick them up of this community. There hasn’t been a systematic guide to teach people how to properly play cabalist and lots of clerics nowadays don’t even fully understand this spec.

Intro

Cabalist is the cleric AOE DPS spec. It is one of the five dedicated AOE DPS spec in the game together with champion, stormcaller, saboteur, and typhoon. Comparing to the other four its sustain AOE DPS is behind unless it’s a very specific situation. However the amount of utilities it brings is one of the best if not the best in the game.

Pros of cabalist:
    Dedicated AOE spec, high AOE DPS compare to cleave specs.
    VERY HIGH DPS when things you are AOEing are constantly dying
    Lots of utilities and CCs
    Extremely mobile
    One of few cleric souls that has great hybrid potential

Cons of cabalist:
    Mana intense
    When things are not dying, its DPS is low compare to other AOE specs
    Like all AOE specs, its ST DPS is low compare to cleave specs and ST specs

In this guide I will be teaching you how to make a proper cabalist build, how to DPS as a cabalist properly, and how to utilize its CCs.

The Build

This is the spec I use for cabalist:

61 cabalist/10 inquisitor/5 defiler

The base 5 points into both inquisitor (gives 10% SP + 5% SC) and defiler (gives 10% wisdom + 5% flat additive damage) are really hard to give up, so much value in those 10 points.

The reason of going 10 points into inquisitor is to pick up Sanction Heretic to help with ST DPS.

There are debates of taking Meditation for level 63 mastery. However that will require you to add Dark Water into the AOE rotation which I find out is neither easy to manipulate nor a DPS gain.

Crystal

Maelstrom Crystal for fights where AOE >= ST in terms of timeframe and importance (majority of the time).

Eldritch Crystal for fights where ST > AOE.

Buffs

Sign of Asias
    Rage Blight
    Blighted Greed (on defiler if you have one in your raid, otherwise on a tank)
    Armor of Devotion

One of the three Obliteration buff in which:

When doing ST DPS, put on Focused Obliteration
    When cleaving 2-5 targets, put on Condensed Obliteration
    When AOEing 6+ targets, put on Unbounded Obliteration

The three Obliteration buff should be on your bar so that you can swap them dynamically based on how the fight goes.

Macros and Abilities

There is only one macro I use for cabalist, the AOE “spam” macro:

#show tyranny of death
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast tyranny of death
    cast bound fate

To maximize your DPS, the following abilities need to be put on your bar:

Any one of your Curses, Well of Souls, Disintegration, Unleashed Oblivion, Ravaging Darkness, Sanction Heretic, and Shadow’s Touch.

Tyranny of Death Breakdown

This is the core mechanism of cabalist. On most fights this ability is your highest breakdown among all so it is very important that you abuse this ability correctly.

There are three things that are worth mentioning about ToD:

1) There are a total of four ways you can trigger it: two natural ways which are adds death and timer expire, and two manual ways which are Disintegration and Unleashed Oblivion.
    2) If you decide to trigger it manually, you will want to do it ASAP after you initially apply it. If it gets too delayed, just let it trigger naturally and save your Disintegration and UO for the next one.
    3) If you use Bound Fate the moment your ToD gets triggered naturally, it will re-apply ToD and spread it, with enough practice this can save you up to 1 or 2 GCDs every 15s.

AOE DPS Breakdown

It is quite straight forward to AOE as a cabalist. It follows a very simple priority list:

Pick a primary target if there is none pick a target with the highest HP.
    Keep your dots, meaning your Well of Souls and Curses on it.
    If either of Disintegration and UO is up (or both), apply ToD -> Spread it via Bound Fate -> trigger it via one of those two abilities.
    If neither of them are up, spam your AOE spam macro until dots fall off.

Rinse and repeat.

Threshold Point

This is a unique mechanic for cabalist and needs to be mentioned individually.

Practical fights are different from dummy parses. When you parse on dummy the dummy never dies. In actual fights however adds you are AOEing will eventually die. And when things start dying, that’s when cabalist shines.

There is a moment during a fight where all the adds you are AOEing are at a very low HP. This is the moment I call the threshold point.

At this point you should forget about your priority list and focus on one thing: apply ToD -> spread it.

The reason is the adds are all at a very low HP and will eventually start dying one by one. This is when all you want to do is to trigger as many ToD as possible as their death will just trigger it again and again and again.

ST DPS Breakdown

ST DPS as cabalist is pretty similar to the AOE priority list. There are 4 major differences:

1) Sanction Heretic is added to the dots.
    2) ToD is no longer in the rotation.
    3) Instead of Bound Fate, Shadow’s Touch is now your spammer.
    4) Soul Stream is added into the rotation.

So it looks like this:

Keep your dots, meaning your Well of Souls, Sanction Heretic and Curses up.
    Disintegration when it’s up.
    Unleash Oblivion when it’s up.
    Soul Stream when it’s up.
    Spam Shadow’s Touch until dots fall off.

Rinse and Repeat.

Why not Ravaging Darkness?

It is a DPS gain. However it serves a more important purpose, which is it mana regen. This is why I do not use it in the rotation. Instead I save it for when I need to gain mana. The situation you should be using it is on a large pack of adds to maximize its mana regen.

CC as Cabalist

Cabalist is the king of CC in this game. It provides the most unique way of CCing among any spec, chain CC.

Cabalist’s CC comes from a type of abilities called Sigils, which include:

Sigil of Secrecy (SoS): 10 man debilitates, 5s duration
    Sigil of Ruin (SoR): 10 man stuns, 2s duration
    Sigil of Binding (SoB): 10 man snare, 5s duration
    Sigil of Woe (SoW): 10 man purge, removes one buff (unlike inquisitor’s purge which removes two)

There are two other abilities that further utilizes the Sigils:

Sigil of Catastrophe (SoC): it applies all your Sigils on 10 man
    Dominion: reset all your Sigils’ CD (except SoC), your next 3 Sigils don’t have CD

A typical template of cabalist CC looks like this:

Sigil of something -> SoC -> Dominion -> Sigil of something x 4

Examples include but not limited to:

30s debilitates (best example: Akylios): SoS -> SoC -> Dominion -> SoS x 4
    12s stun (best example: Lady Justice): SoR -> SoC -> Dominion -> SoR x 4
    6 buff purge (best example: Nightmare Rift bosses): SoW -> SoC -> Dominion -> SoR x 4

…and more.

Other Utilities

When there isn’t a defiler, inquisitor or vulcanist, you should be the one that’s doing the 5% non-phys debuff via Sigil of Spirits.

You have one extra Break Free, Dark Passage. You also have an ability that resets its CD, Shadow Breach. So playing cabalist means you have three Break Frees.

Although much inferior comparing to Dom, you do have a ST reflect (Reversal of Fortune) and an AOE reflect (Mass Reversal).

Howling Death gives you immunity against next interrupt or debilitate.

Some Video Demo

AOE Demo Parse
    ST Demo Parse
    Chain CC Demo

Some Final Words

Again as always, feel free to leave a comment or send myself, chinapandaman@laethys an in game message if you have any question or concern.

Last but not the least, if you like this guide or my runeshaper guide or my inquisitor guide or my shaman guide, please vote me for the preset contest. It would be greatly appreciated by myself.
    Last edited by ChinaPandaMan; 05-20-2016 at 08:39 PM.
    ChinaPandaMan@Laethys <Trinity> twitch.tv/chinapandaman

Rift Disciple

Cons of cabalist:
    ITS A TRAP!

Most of the time when they ask you to caba in raid, it involves endless torture with rotation of stuns or debilitates!

But nice guide, i can finally direct people somwhere when they ask about caba.
    Last edited by Tetmes; 05-19-2016 at 03:28 PM.

This may go without saying, but remember to never clip your curses. Always wait til they fall off to reapply.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaPandaMan View Post
    There are debates of taking Meditation for level 63 mastery. However that will require you to add Dark Water into the AOE rotation which I find out is neither easy to manipulate nor a DPS gain.
    I'm surprised about this because all the testing I did for my own Cabalist guide suggested that using Meditation and Shadow's Touch (Dark Water if moving) in the AoE rotation is actually a DPS gain. I will try it again but I don't see why that would have changed, since Cabalist didn't receive any changes since 3.3 to the best of my knowledge.
    Other than that I agree with most of the things in this guide.
    Last edited by Athanil; 05-21-2016 at 07:44 AM.
    Athanil@Gelidra <Harshmallows>
    -- 11/11 HK | 8/9 MoM | 4/4 CoA NM --

Quote Originally Posted by Athanil View Post
    I'm surprised about this because all the testing I did for my own Cabalist guide suggested that using Meditation and Shadow's Touch (Dark Water if moving) in the AoE rotation is actually a DPS gain. I will try it again but I don't see why that would have changed, since Cabalist didn't receive any changes since 3.3 to the best of my knowledge.
    Other than that I agree with most of the things in this guide.
    About this, like what I said in the guide on dummy testing I found it to be a loss to me.

But now that you brought this up I did a numerical analysis for it.

Currently with my live gear Darkness does ~20k per stack for 15s. Assuming you already have 3 stacks on your primary target, so that will be 60k for 15s.

In a 1 min window, we will need to at least do 4 Shadow's Touch (~31k damage on average on live) to maintain full up time of Darkness even in the most optimal situation.

So the final damage in a 1 min window would be : 4 x 60k (full up time of Darkness on primary target) + 7 x 60k (15s up time of Darkness on 7 targets spread by RD) + 4 x 31k (4 Shadow's Touch to keep Darkness up) = 784k damage.

If we do not use RD/DW in the rotation, we won't need the 4 ST to keep DW up. Assuming those 4 GCDs are Bound Fate (~13k on 8 targets on live for me) instead. Then the final damage in a 1 min window would be: 4 x 8 x 13k = 416k damage.

Assuming everything else stays the same, then the DPS gain by using DW/RD in the rotation will be: (784k - 416k) / 60s = 6.133k DPS gain.

So after all, you are right about the fact that using DW is a DPS gain. However, there are two problems with it.

1) This is just the most optimal numerical analysis. The actual DPS gain of doing this is lower than the value given above. However maintaining DW is just overall a pain in the *** and if by any chance it falls off, no matter how well you have kept it up it will be a DPS loss.
    2) Keep in mind this numerical analysis is from a dummy parse point of view. In actual raid fights where things die the priority changes. Especially when you get to threshold point ToD and BF will take top priority over any other ability. Messing with DW in actual fights will only end up losing DPS.

Hope this can help you.
    Last edited by ChinaPandaMan; 05-21-2016 at 10:22 AM.
    ChinaPandaMan@Laethys <Trinity> twitch.tv/chinapandaman

Thank you for updating Cabalist! Cab is just awesome, especially with full raids in pvp. When conquest had full 20 man pms this spec really caused havoc in so many ways. One of my favorite specs for cleric if not my most favorite.
    Niriena, Kearlet, Smilely, Rium

+ Reply to Thread