+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Quick Runeshaper “Guide”

Default Quick Runeshaper “Guide”

Some Words to Start

After spending couple days of tweaking/testing, I think I’ve finally come up with the most optimal way of playing Runeshaper FOR MYSELF. However this does not mean the way I play it maximize this spec’s potential, thus why there is a quote around the word guide in the title. I would like to share my way of playing this spec to help those who does not know the spec at all. For those of you that may have better builds/more optimal ways of playing it, I am more than happy to hear about them and correct the places I did wrong in my guide.

CREDITS

This section is a special thanks to xclusive@hailol. The build I am using in this guide and the way I play it is a bit different from his. However the idea and the basic build were originated by him. Big credits to him.

Current State of Runeshaper

First of all here is my current gear set on both live and PTS.

With this level of gear I am parsing:

131k in foundry
    102k self-buffed

Wondering what those numbers mean? Here is a direct comparison:

Shaman in foundry
    Shaman self-buffed

Pros of Runeshaper:
    Currently cleric’s highest ST DPS spec, Higher ST DPS than Shaman
    Scales VERY well in raid due to the fact that this spec relies heavily on crit RNG
    It has a VERY high ceiling due to its RNG based playstyle

Cons of Runeshaper:
    Weak cleave/AOE DPS, even weaker than Inquisitor with the build in this guide
    Suffers heavily from target swap
    Turret style DPS, suffers heavily from movement
    Very mana intense
    Due to its RNG based DPS style, it is very easy for this spec to de-sync with raid cooldowns

The Build

After tweaking with different builds, I personally find this build fits me the best as of now:

51 Runeshaper/17 Shaman/8 Inquisitor (fixed soul tree, thanks to Pretoi!)

There is an alternative build that takes no penalty of damage loss but with a purge (thanks to Tilar and Hoodies!):

47 Runeshaper/17 Shaman/12 Inquisitor

Rune of Impending Doom AS OF NOW does not do enough damage to make it worth taking a GCD over other abilities (will explain later).

Runeshaper's DPS is extremely bonded to crit RNG. This is why I take Shaman+Inquisitor instead of Inquisitor+Defiler or Shaman+Defiler.

How does this build compare to 61 Runeshaper?
    This build does more ST DPS than 61 , however its cleave/AOE is absolutely trash compare to 61.
    This build also has, even just slight, better ways of dealing with movement than 61 (will be covered in the movement section).

Crystal

Annihilation Crystal, due to the fact that most of its damage abilities are cast time abilities.

Buffs
    Rune Vessel
    Vengeance of the Winter Storm
    Armor of Devotion

Macros and Abilities:

I use only one macro for Runeshaper:

#show inscribe fate
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast inscribe fate
    cast runestrike

To maximize ST DPS, the following abilities need to be put separately on your bar:
    Rune Strike, Rune of Smiting, Rune of Castigation, Rune of Travail, Rune of Power, Rune of Soul Binding, Runelord's Inscription, Seal of Vulnerability, Seal of Pain.

Preload

There are 2 preloads you can do for this spec:

Use Runefall to preload Diversify
    Precast Seal of Vulnerability before the pull, it wont aggro the boss

If you and your raid lead are hardcore enough and do a 10s countdown...
    hardcast Rune of Castigation on 6...LOL

DPS Breakdown

There is NO set rotation for Runeshaper. This spec depends heavily on RNG. Based on when the procs of this spec happens you may find one Runeshaper's DPS curve COMPLETELY different from another. Thus one can only play Runeshaper by following a priority list.

The key of maximizing Runeshaper's ST DPS can be summarized in one sentence. That is firing off as many Rune of Smiting with as many but not exceed 3 stacks of Smiting Forces as possible while keep your dots up.

How to fire off as many Rune of Smiting as possible?
    Each time you cast Runestrike, you will gain a stack of Hasty Inscription. Once reaching 4 stacks, your Rune of Smiting becomes instant cast. This is when you want to fire it off. (think about Inquisitor's BoJ/BoR and BoD)

What is Smiting Forces?
    It is a buff applied by using certain Runeshaper abilities. It increases your next Rune of Smiting's damage by 100%. Can stack up to 3 stacks.

Outside of gaining stacks of Hasty Inscription via Runestrike, this is the major mechanism you wanna abuse. That is, before you reach 4 stacks of Hasty Inscription, try gain as many stacks of Smiting Forces as possible, but never exceed 3 stacks.

This is why Rune of Impending Doom is abandoned for this build. It does not achieve either goal of the above. The damage it does right now is not high enough to make it worth a GCD in the rotation. This is the same reason that Sanction Heretic is not used in the standard rotation (The usage of SH will be covered in a later section)

The following abilities, listed from highest to lowest priority, grants you a stack of Smiting Forces on use:

Rune of Soul Binding
    Rune of Castigation (only use this on proc or Rune of Power)
    Inscribed Fate

Putting Them All Together

With the above priority list, how to play Runeshaper is pretty clear now.

Before you reach 3 stacks of Smiting Forces, follow the Smiting Forces priority list. If none of the abilities are up, use Runestrike.

Once upon reaching 3 stacks of Smiting Forces, use Runestrike until you are at 4 stacks of Hasty Inscription.

Once upon reaching 4 stacks of Hasty Inscription, fire off Rune of Smiting regardless how many stacks of Smiting Forces you have.

Dots/Seals?

You have 2 seals that needs to be maintained, Seal of Vulnerability and Seal of Pain. They last 30s and can be refreshed via Rune of Travail.

Usually I refresh them as late as I can. The only time I will refresh them early is when I need to channel Rune of Soul Binding in 1 or 2 GCD.

Rune of Power

Rune of Power makes your next Rune of Castigation become instant cast.

I used to only use it after an instant proc Rune of Castigation. However I found out that if RNG is not on my side I may just delay it for too long and lose DPS. So instead I use it offCD now.

But you will never want to use it after a Runestrike. If the Runestrike procs instant cast Rune of Castigation you will just simply waste it.

Usually when it comes offCD, I use it after the first Rune of Smiting I fire off since Rune of Castigation grants a stack of Smiting Forces.

Runelord and Runelord's Inscription

Runelord is a buff that can be proced with Runestrike. It will reduce you GCD from 1.5s to 1s as well as making your Runestrike instant cast, last 10s.

During Runelord you should not use Rune of Soul Binding.

Runelord's Inscription is a 2 min CD. It grants you the same effect Runelord grants you, except it lasts for 14s.

Similar to Rune of Power, I used to use this only after Runelord proc but ended up losing DPS if RNG is not on my side. So now I use it whenever it comes offCD. And likewise, you should never use it after a Runestrike to prevent wasting it.

Similar to Runelord, during Runelord's Inscription you should not use Rune of Soul Binding. This means if both abilities comes off CD together, you should Rune of Soul Binding before poping Runelord's Inscription to prevent delaying.

Movement

Runeshaper suffers heavily from movement. However with this build it has slightly better ways of handling movement.

First of all if you anticipate an incoming movement phase in a fight you should delay/reserve Rune of Soul Binding and/or Runelord's Incription for that phase.

If none of those 2 abilities are up soon, you should pray to RNGesus for a Runelord proc.

Finally, if RNG is not on your side, On top of the Smiting Forces priority list mentioned earlier in the guide, replace Runestrike with the following priority list:

Sanction Heretic
    Soul Stream
    Massive Blow (if you are in melee)
    Lightning Hammer
    Crushing Blow (if you are in melee)
    Ekkehard's Grasp

This is why Vengeance of the Winter Storm is no longer a useless buff for Runeshaper...LOL.

Demo Parse

Live Runeshaper 3:30 parse.

Some Final Words

This is just my way of playing this spec as of now. I do not think and this probably isn't the most optimal way of playing Runeshaper. If you have better thoughts/ideas/questions or just simple want to flame/criticize me feel free to leave a comment below. Or you can just send me chinapandaman@laethys a tell in game. For those of you that bought your shinny soul pack and don't know what you are doing, I hope this guide can get you started on playing some oracle/pyro...I mean Runeshaper.

Last but not the least, if you like this guide or my cabalist guide or my inquisitor guide or my shaman guide, please vote me for the preset contest. It would be greatly appreciated by myself.
    Last edited by ChinaPandaMan; 05-20-2016 at 02:05 AM.
    ChinaPandaMan@Laethys <Trinity> twitch.tv/chinapandaman

good work! I like your "quick" guild pandaman. lots effort !
    Hinatasamma@Dalaran

Default Another option 61 Runeshaper

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#!...g/n8s/E8q|X-Xg

Here's a variation of a 61 RS build I made. It hits harder than Inquisitor and less than shaman without sacrificing mobility and dps while running around as much as the original build.

SPAM
    #show rune of impending doom
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast inscribe fate
    cast rune of impending doom
    cast rune of travail
    cast runestrike
    cast sanction heretic
    cast tyranny of death
    cast bound fate

AOE
    #show greater rune of agony
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @gtae greater rune of agony
    cast @gtae runefall

ST rotation has the same concept as the original post's build as far as to fire off as many Rune of Smiting as possible, however, there is a slight cd rotation to follow with this 61 variation.

Seals up, Rune of soul Binding, Spam macro x1 to fire inscribe fate, Runelord's Inscription, Spam macro as much as possible while consuming castigation procs. Once RoSB ticks, consume Smiting and go into the "rotation" of the original post's build.

AOE rotation is similar to Inquisitor in a way. only we're using the 30s dot and tyranny of death while Greater Rune of Agony isn't active and off cd.

Greater Rune of Agony, Runefallx2, Seal of pain on all the targets, Tyranny of death on all targets, Runefall.

The priority is as follows: RoA+RF>SoP>Tyranny>RF

By the time you get through one rotation, it's likely everything will be dead.

Thanks to the OP for the help getting started and onto my own build

Cheers!

-Churchhill-
    CHURCHHILL of the Lost Legion@Faeblight
    May the forest guide the beast from your fires.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaPandaMan View Post
    The Build

After tweaking with different builds, I personally find this build fits me the best as of now:

51 Runeshaper/17 Shaman/8 Inquisitor

Rune of Impending Doom AS OF NOW does not do enough damage to make it worth taking a GCD over other abilities (will explain later).
    I have been playing around with several specs myself and agree that on dummy at least, Inquisitor and Shaman are the best off souls. But currently 2/2 Hasty Inscription is a waste as Rune of Smiting is instant at 4 stacks even with 1/2 points.

Pros of Runeshaper:
    Currently cleric’s highest ST DPS spec, Higher ST DPS than Shaman
    Scales VERY well in raid due to the fact that this spec relies heavily on crit RNG
    It has a VERY high ceiling due to its RNG based playstyle
    Yeah, I agree that it is very RNG dependant.
    With the need for good crit RNG on Rune of Castigation and Rune of Smiting, it might even be worth it to swap out a sp ring or something for sc.

The raid scaling aspect of the soul do suffer some from lack of 1 minute cooldowns and rng with procs during raid cooldowns.

The potential DPS when everything lines up is quite amazing.

Very nice and "quick" guide!
    Fits well with the observations I have made over the last few days of testing
    Last edited by Pretoi; 04-17-2016 at 05:31 AM.

Plane Touched

Nice guide, yeh its very crit rng and impending doom is not worth it, maybe runeshaper was a spec to allow clerics to go hybrid ?
    Last edited by Killerloose; 04-17-2016 at 05:52 AM.

Shield of Telara

If it was meant to hybridize the damage wouldn't be of the fiery kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretoi View Post
    I have been playing around with several specs myself and agree that on dummy at least, Inquisitor and Shaman are the best off souls. But currently 2/2 Hasty Inscription is a waste as Rune of Smiting is instant at 4 stacks even with 1/2 points.

Yeah, I agree that it is very RNG dependant.
    With the need for good crit RNG on Rune of Castigation and Rune of Smiting, it might even be worth it to swap out a sp ring or something for sc.

The raid scaling aspect of the soul do suffer some from lack of 1 minute cooldowns and rng with procs during raid cooldowns.

The potential DPS when everything lines up is quite amazing.

Very nice and "quick" guide!
    Fits well with the observations I have made over the last few days of testing
    Fixed, thank you very much!

About raid cooldowns, this is why in nowhere in this guide you can find me mention anything about syncing.

I can confidently tell you that if I print all the parses I did in the last couple days to spread sheets, each one of them will look different from the others...

There is no way, or at least I haven't found a way of syncing with 1 min perfectly.

Now this is just a theory of myself. It almost makes me think that the best way of syncing with raid cooldowns is to not worry about syncing at all, due to the fact that Rune of Smiting, Castigation (and potential Impending Doom if it's buffed/fixed) all hit very hard and you will have some of them fired off during 1 min block.

The rest is all about praying to RNGesus, the reason that this spec has a very very high ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerloose View Post
    Nice guide, yeh its very crit rng and impending doom is not worth it, maybe runeshaper was a spec to allow clerics to go hybrid ?
    Rune of Impending Doom currently is not working as intended, at least from my own observation.

With Runelord, Rune of Impending Doom can reach as high as 8 stacks. An 8 stack Rune of Impending Doom does twice as much damage as a 3 stack Rune of Smiting.

Even with normal 1.5 GCD and inserting a GCD or two during its duration, it still does higher damage than a 3 stack Rune of Smiting.

However everything I said above does not work right now on live/PTS. That's why it is abandoned in this guide.

This is why on my title it says a "quick" guide. I anticipate Rune of Impending Doom gets buffed/fixed in a patch or two (remember what happened to 54 harb?). When that does happen, then yes using 61 Runeshaper and introducing Rune of Impending Doom into the rotation will be highest DPS.

Plane Touched

Rune of Impending Doom currently is not working as intended, at least from my own observation.

With Runelord, Rune of Impending Doom can reach as high as 8 stacks. An 8 stack Rune of Impending Doom does twice as much damage as a 3 stack Rune of Smiting.

Even with normal 1.5 GCD and inserting a GCD or two during its duration, it still does higher damage than a 3 stack Rune of Smiting.

However everything I said above does not work right now on live/PTS. That's why it is abandoned in this guide.

This is why on my title it says a "quick" guide. I anticipate Rune of Impending Doom gets buffed/fixed in a patch or two (remember what happened to 54 harb?). When that does happen, then yes using 61 Runeshaper and introducing Rune of Impending Doom into the rotation will be highest DPS.
    I could only just about fit 7 impending dooms before it went off.

About impending doom, devs wrote on the thread saying it is working, but it is clear that the damage is low, so yes when buff happens it will be stronger.

Soulwalker

Although IT DOES NOT MATTER, would recommend 17 shaman/47 RS/12 INQ opposed to this build as you lose nothing and get the double purge from inquis
    Last edited by Notverynice; 04-17-2016 at 03:19 PM.

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#l...8Gaa8/nA8|X-Xg

For the ability to pick up a purge at no damage loss outside of having to use it.
    -[ TD 4/4 ]-
    Tilar@Greybriar | Talir@Greybriar | Tilaria@Greybriar | Tilarn@Greybriar | Khensu@Greybriar
    <Trinity> | R.I.P. <Critical Hit>

Prophet of Telara StealthStalker's Avatar

Anyone got some Kalerts handy? I've found my hasty inscription one kind of annoying since it 'stacks' and then resets to 1 when you proc the instacast.

Don't forget to support Dual Targeting in SWTOR and Prime Online.
    We didn't get it here, but perhaps we can help make the next games into what they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilar View Post
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#l...8Gaa8/nA8|X-Xg

For the ability to pick up a purge at no damage loss outside of having to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Notverynice View Post
    Although IT DOES NOT MATTER, would recommend 17 shaman/47 RS/12 INQ opposed to this build as you lose nothing and get the double purge from inquis
    Added, thanks for bringing it up despite purging is a DPS loss.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthStalker View Post
    Anyone got some Kalerts handy? I've found my hasty inscription one kind of annoying since it 'stacks' and then resets to 1 when you proc the instacast.
    Kalert on Hasty Inscription does not work as intended because once you reach 4 stacks, it gives you another buff that has the same name Hasty Inscription that makes your RoS instant cast, the reason why Kalert will go back to 1 stack.

This is why as you can see in my demo parse, instead of using Kalert, I use gadget to keep track on Hasty Inscription.

Hope this can help you.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by StealthStalker View Post
    Afaik you can not make a kalert to track that specific buff, as it has the same name and same duration.

You can however use Rift's reactive bar to track it, make it bigger and place it where you can easily see it. Hopefully they will change the name or icon on the instant buff next hotfix.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast