+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Advanced Inquisitor Guide

Default Advanced Inquisitor Guide

Just Some Words to Start

So recently in game there has been a lot of clerics that asked me about how I play inquisitor. After searching and not able to find any good guide I think rather than telling each person one by one I might as well just make a guide that sums everything up. Hopefully this will help the cleric community.

Notice there are aspects of inquisitor’s game play that I will cover with some side notes. However this guide will mainly focus on raid ST DPS as inquisitor.

Current State of Inquisitor

After the recent change made to Massive Blow, shaman is now the go to spec for clerics when it comes to DPS in raid. However prior to shaman changes inquisitor also got some buffs, making it a still very competitive ranged DPS spec and should be picked up by every cleric DPS.

Pros of inquisitor:
    High burst DPS (higher than shaman)
    Very good on duo targets fight (due to double dot)
    Decent target swap
    Lots of Utilities (Purge, Confuse, Fear)
    You will never run out of mana as inquisitor

Cons of inquisitor:
    Sustained DPS is lower than shaman
    Relatively poor sustained cleave/AOE DPS on 3+ targets compare to cleave specs
    Although can be mobile when needed, inquisitor is a very turret-styled DPS spec

Fights that you should consider playing inquisitor:
    Fights that requires you to be ranged (e.g. Threngar, Crucia, Darktide’s range side)
    Fights that involves duo targets (e.g. Izinkra, K/P, Vladmal Prime depending on strats, NMR)
    Fights that require certain utilities like a purge (e.g. Uruluuk, Sicaron depending on strats, NMR)
    Short fights (e.g. NTE bosses, nexus event 20s burn mini in MOM)

Fights that you shouldn’t play inquisitor or should consider other specs:
    Melee friendly fights (e.g. the entire ROF, Jinoscoth, Yogurt)
    Movement heavy fights (e.g. Finric, Guurloth, Zilas)
    Fights that involves cleaves/AOE (e.g. Garau, Anrak, Matron)

Overall, currently clerics should be playing shaman whenever it’s available. However inquisitor will still be a better pick in certain raid encounters.

Also after the nerf on Courage of Panther, shaman’s burst DPS actually got nerfed too. So inquisitor will outperform shaman on short fights that require burst DPS. And on top of that it has a purge making it the go to choice for cleric DPS in NMR.

The Build

There is one and only one build for inquisitor from a raid DPS perspective.

61 inquisitor/10 shaman/5 defiler

There are some other builds you can tweak around.

61 inquisitor/10 shaman/5 druid (for those without SL souls)
    61 inquisitor/15 defiler/0 justicar (for soloing contents)
    61 inquisitor/11 cabalist/4 shaman (the spec I use for PVP)

Stats and Itemization

I won’t go too deep into numbers and stats weight. But the big priority list is:

CP until 2980 (can be slightly lower, but don’t go over)
    SP from there

SC will give very little gain to inquisitor due to the spec's natural high crit chance.

Crystal: Annihilation Crystal
    FAQ: Why Annihilation over Eldritch?
    A: About 40-45% of Inquisitor’s DPS are made of your bolts. They will be benefited by Annihilation Crystal and will outclass Eldritch Crystal’s crit bonuses.

Buffs

Spiritual Scrutiny
    All 3 of your armors (all will be applied by only applying one)
    Rage Blight
    Blighted Greed (on defiler if you have one, otherwise on a tank)

Macros and Abilities

The only macro I use for inquisitor is this one:

#show sanction heretic
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast sanction heretic
    cast scourge

This macro best prevents me from clipping any of my dots when it comes to single target DPS.

You will need the following abilities on your bar:
    All 4 of your channels (Soul Stream, Harsh Discipline, Nysyr’s Rebuke, Aggressive Inquisition)
    All 3 of your bolts (Bolt of Judgment, Bolt of Retribution, Bolt of Depravity)
    Both of your dots (Scourge, Vex)
    Your 2 cooldown manipulator (Fanaticism, Radical Coalescences)

The Basics

There is a set rotation for inquisitor when there’s no cooldowns/channels. It follows the following priority list:
    1) Dots (Sanction Heretic/Vex/Scourge)
    2) Instant cast Bolt of Depravity
    3) Bolt of Retribution (When you have stacks of Echoing Concord)
    4) Bolt of Judgment (When you do not have stacks of Echoing Concord)

Quick note: You will often run into a situation where your dots fall off as soon as you get an instant cast Bolt of Depravity. The priority then will be BoD first then re-apply your dots as Sanction Heretic rewards one stack of Life and Death Concord and you don’t want to waste it.

This priority list in the rest of the guide will be referred as the basic rotation.

Cooldown Manipulation

You have a total number of 4 channels. The functionality and usage of Harsh Discipline will be explained in a later section. The 3 other will be used as your cooldowns.

The best way to utilize your channel is to block them right after a Fanaticism -> Bolt of Depravity, as only crit on the first tick of the channel will consume stacks of Zealotry but the follow up ticks will still inherits the crit bonuses without consuming the stacks.

Thus you have your 2 cooldown blocks:

Major Cooldown Block: Fanaticism -> Bolt of Depravity -> Nysyr’s Rebuke -> Aggressive Inquisition -> Bolt of Depravity

Minor Cooldown Block: Fanaticism -> Bolt of Depravity -> Soul Stream -> Bolt of Retribution -> Bolt of Depravity

They SHOULD be timed with raid cooldowns.

FAQ: Does the order of NR and AI matter?
    A: Yes it does.
    Usually NR into AI will have a higher DPS because NR has 4 ticks while AI only has 3, so doing NR first allows it inherits a higher crit chance on more ticks.

However AI into NR does more burst DPS because 1) AI takes travel time and by the time it hits your target it will overlap with NR’s damage 2) Symbol of Corruption dot will overlap with NR channel as well.

I do NR -> AI for 80% of the time because it has a smoother but higher raw output.
    The following 2 situations are when I do AI -> NR:
    1) PVP because I want burst damage rather than smooth output
    2) When my primary target is about to die and I need to fire off as much damage as possible (best example: second cooldown block on the 20s burn mini in MOM)

Harsh Discipline

Due to its low base damage, HD needs a special tweak.
    A full channel, 3 ticks, and 1 tick HD will all be DPS loss. However clipping HD at 2 ticks will be a DPS gain as it only takes 1 GCD to get 2 ticks off.

It serves 2 purposes:
    1) Reduce CDs on your other channels
    2) Delay cooldown blocks without letting Mental Resilience buff falls off (reasons for delaying could be raid mechanics/movements, raid cooldowns, etc)

The Filler Method

Often you will run into a situation where you reach an instant proc on your Bolt of Depravity while you have 1-2s left on your Fanaticism CD.

Rather than firing that Bolt of Depravity off, you want to hold onto it and use it later with Fanaticism by performing what I like to call the Filler Method, which is filling those 1-2 GCDs with a filler, or Bolt of Judgment.

Preload

In an organized raid group, there are 2 preloads you can perform to increase your initial DPS.

1) Preload Mental Resilience, can be easily done by using Righteous Deliberation (your mana regain)
    2) Preload 5 stacks of Zealotry: here is a video demo of how it’s done

Opener

There are a total number of 3 openers for inquisitor:

1) Soul Stream Opener: first SS is casted at the very beginning of the pull, a video demo can be found right here

It does more initial DPS. However it’s not recommended to use this opener in raid for 2 reasons:
    1) It takes time for Rage Blight to build up stacks and your first SS will not inherit the damage bonuses.
    2) It won’t sync your SS with raid cooldowns.

This opener is used by me on short fights like NTE bosses where I don’t need to fire off the second SS.

2) Soft Delayed Opener: first SS is casted right after the first Major Cooldown Block, a video demo can be found right here

This one does the highest burst DPS among all 3. However it will cause Echoing Overload, which is having more than 8 stacks of Echoing Concord. On dummy parse it won’t be a problem as all the stacks will eventually be consumed. But in raid mechanics and movements will cause you not able to fire off enough BoR to consume those stacks, causing reduction on total number of BoR fired.

This opener is never used by me.

3) Delayed SS Opener: first SS is casted after the second Major Cooldown Block (manipulated by Radical Coalescences), a video demo can be found right here

This opener does not do the highest burst DPS. However it does the smoothest output and allows SS to sync up with Fanaticism/raid cooldowns.

This opener is used by me for 90% of the time.

Put It Together

Combine every aspect explained above together, here is a detailed breakdown of how a rotation should be done.

Opener is Delayed SS Opener.

Pre-pull: Preload both Zealotry and Mental Resilience

On a countdown of 3: Hard cast a BoD

1) SH -> Scourge -> BoJ x 3

2) Major Cooldown Block: Fanaticism -> BoD -> NR -> AI -> BoD (Lava Field usually happens here)

3) BoR x 2 -> SH -> Scourge -> BoR -> BoD

4) Major Cooldown Block: Radical Coalescences -> BoD -> NR -> AI -> BoD (Orchestra usually happens here)

5) BoR x 3 -> SH -> Scourge (usually needs a Filler Method here)

6) Minor Cooldown Block: Fanaticism -> BoD -> SS -> BoR -> BoD

7) Basic Rotation until about 5s left on Fanaticism’s CD

8) HD to reduce CDs on other channels and refresh Mental Resilience for potential delay of next cooldown block

9) Major Cooldown Block: Fanaticism -> BoD -> NR -> AI -> BoD (Lava Field usually happens here)

10) Basic Rotation until Fanaticism off CD

11) Minor Cooldown Block: Fanaticism -> BoD -> SS -> BoR -> BoD

12) Basic Rotation until about 5s left on Fanaticism’s CD

13) HD to reduce CDs on other channels and refresh Mental Resilience for potential delay of next cooldown block

14) Major Cooldown Block: Fanaticism -> BoD -> NR -> AI -> BoD (Lava Field usually happens here)

From here Radical Coalescences should be off CD again, so go back to step 3). Everything resets and rinse and repeat.

Video Demo

Here is a 3:30 parse I did to help you guys better visualize last section.
    Stats: 21682 SP, 8371 SC, 2978 CP, T3 DPS Trinket, T3 Ranged Weapon, T2 Two Hander

Usefull Kalerts

I use two.

This one pops when there's 5s left on Fanaticism CDs:
    KA:FANA:a72YWeNo9TcsKwjAQ/CPNy1SZU7QJePFQ6i0ga2shUKuYXPr3JkFkd9mZYZgBR4/3TOv
    jA5FhDwdHC6UwhPiEEVrJgzVH5YQzeteCgRdL/gxdmBJaSrT117One5hDWm9heC3RT/+QzThGNKy
    Bkvn2ZXkenOylt11BvKZJVvt/cmW6FrkvLggv+Q

This one pops when Mental Resilience is about to fall off:
    KA:MR:aEW4neNotjssOgjAQRX/FL8Cp8mhyVwaostBFU3ckpkKVJk0x0A1/byHk3M2czM0MGBR+T
    i9mAoPYuBsftDtIM1tnje8MLqmgvCo5ZTwnwUUB2rcpIu0noNJ BH9tn0+p3bIXlZbvRz+0wumUOk
    /HfMJySvp9RUIEzZ0j5GgZKMkA215sq64eqZVSrjZwp/qaw623Kt5PiD+c1NWg

Last Words

There are certain aspects of inquisitor's game play that I didn't cover in this guide such as how to double dot and how to cleave (yes, although it sucks inquisitor does have a proper way of cleaving). If you have any further question feel free to talk to me, chinapandaman@laethys in game for more help.

Special thanks to koz@laethys, adustum@laethys, sen@typhiria for brainstorming, ideas, and tests.

Last but not the least, if you like this guide or my runeshaper guide or my cabalist guide or my shaman guide, please vote me for the preset contest. It would be greatly appreciated by myself.
    Last edited by ChinaPandaMan; 05-20-2016 at 02:04 AM.
    ChinaPandaMan@Laethys <Trinity> twitch.tv/chinapandaman

Nice guide

Video with 360 no scope BoDs pls
    Last edited by DarkDaemon; 01-31-2016 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDaemon View Post
    Nice guide

I have a toaster.
    So no.

PEE VEE PEE Inquisitor pls

Very excellent guide! I would like a pvp one too

I didn't even know preloading to that extent or any other esoteric things [Like the Synergy Cryslal] were possible-- this guide is SICK.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkDaemon View Post
    As well as dunking on scrubs in Ghar Station Eyn and airhorns.
    "Why, that was a marvelous suggestion that will transform life in Telara. We will get right to implementing that. Now that you pointed it out, it's pretty obvious. Don't we look stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by Klutch817 View Post
    I didn't even know preloading to that extent or any other esoteric things [Like the Synergy Cryslal] were possible-- this guide is SICK.
    As well as dunking on scrubs in Ghar Station Eyn and airhorns.
    There are 20 second Tempest and Paragon preload openers

Soulwalker

Nice guide m8

Trinatorn best cleric NA
    Luceee@Zaviel
    Sundayyy@NA

Soulwalker

You wrote a very nice guide indeed. Finally someone took the time and put it all together. I've always been too lazy to write this myself so I thank you for that

Beyond that, I've read your rotation and looked at your 3:30 rotation clip and you are delaying your cooldown block by a few seconds every minute. By the 3 minute cooldown block, assuming there are no delays on raid cooldown, your AI would already be outside of lavafield + enrage and later down the line the entire block would not sync with raid cooldowns.
    (First block at 0:05, second at 1:08, third at 2:10 and the 4th at 3:13 ---> Raid CDs should come at 0:05, 1:05, 2:05 and 3:05)

Furthermore, saving Soul Stream for after Fanaticism, while it has some benefits, is a waste overall.

Firstly your SS doesn't get increased crit % from Zealotry as its an ethereal damaging spell rather than Life / Death so the increase doesn't apply to it.

Secondly, if you save SS for every 1 minute you lose out on soul stream casts throughout the fight. Looking at your parse you casted 3 soul streams within this 3:30 long parse while you can do 5.
    http://puu.sh/mRmXv/05db5a5c9e.jpg (Note, every soul stream has 3 swings)

Thirdly, you've stated that using the early SS is not advised as it won't sync your SS with raid cooldowns. At the :35 mark when you are using SS there are no raid cooldowns up.
    The only cooldown which used to be up at this point was Focus Fire but since that was changed and became a self buff on Tempest there are no CDs up at that point. So saving it for raid cooldowns there won't provide any gain.

Personally, I use the early SS opener since while you lose on the rage blight stacks, its a gain to have more SS casts overall.(Using it before the CDs means you have 6 channels to reduce the cooldown of that first SS, x2 Nysyr, x2 AI x2 HD) Beyond that I do Nysyr -> AI -> Bod -> HD(Clip after 2 ticks) -> S -> SH -> Radical -> Nysyr as my opener since doing that will not delay your CD blocks later on the parse.

Orki
    Last edited by Orkiliyem; 01-31-2016 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orkiliyem View Post
    You wrote a very nice guide indeed. Finally someone took the time and put it all together. I've always been too lazy to write this myself so I thank you for that

Beyond that, I've read your rotation and looked at your 3:30 rotation clip and you are delaying your cooldown block by a few seconds every minute. By the 3 minute cooldown block, assuming there are no delays on raid cooldown, your AI would already be outside of lavafield + enrage and later down the line the entire block would not sync with raid cooldowns.
    (First block at 0:05, second at 1:08, third at 2:10 and the 4th at 3:13 ---> Raid CDs should come at 0:05, 1:05, 2:05 and 3:05)

Furthermore, saving Soul Stream for after Fanaticism, while it has some benefits, is a waste overall.

Firstly your SS doesn't get increased crit % from Zealotry as its an ethereal damaging spell rather than Life / Death so the increase doesn't apply to it.

Secondly, if you save SS for every 1 minute you lose out on soul stream casts throughout the fight. Looking at your parse you casted 3 soul streams within this 3:30 long parse while you can do 5.

Thirdly, you've stated that using the early SS is not advised as it won't sync your SS with raid cooldowns. At the :35 mark when you are using SS there are no raid cooldowns up.
    The only cooldown which used to be up at this point was Focus Fire but since that was changed and became a self buff on Tempest there are no CDs up at that point. So saving it for raid cooldowns there won't provide any gain.

Personally, I use the early SS opener since while you lose on the rage blight stacks, its a gain to have more SS casts overall.(Using it before the CDs means you have 6 channels to reduce the cooldown of that first SS, x2 Nysyr, x2 AI x2 HD) Beyond that I do Nysyr -> AI -> Bod -> HD(Clip after 2 ticks) -> S -> SH -> Radical -> Nysyr as my opener since doing that will not delay your CD blocks later on the parse.

Orki

Thank you very much for your response.

I forgot to put it in the guide, the part about SS being ethereal damage does not inherits Zealotry crit bonuses (not that I don't know ). However, the reason I block SS after Fanaticism is to save the Zealotry stacks for the BoR and BoD after the channel. I have done some tweaks about it and found out this is the best way to utilize every other Fanaticism outside of major cooldown block.

As far as openers/tweaks on SS, I have talk to people that does your rotation (thanks koz) and actually done it myself as well (just like how I listed all three openers). While I do agree on a stand-still burn your rotation will fire off more SS, does slightly more DPS and line SS better up with raid cooldowns, my personal experience in actual raid environment tells me otherwise. In a lot of fights mechanics/movements will cause both raid cooldowns and my cooldowns to be delayed. So at least from my personal experience I haven't found much problem with syncing raid cooldowns. Also by distributing channels more evenly among one minutes it allows me to better manipulate and refresh mental resilience and dealing with mechanics/movement.

In my rotation neither HD nor SS serve a pure purpose of boosting DPS. In my opinion HD is perfect to be used for delaying cooldown block rather than its DPS component. And SS while being a DPS channel is also the only channel that's mobile (not counting during RC) so I think its a great tool to refresh mental resilience when I have to move while still serves the purpose of making transitions of Zealotry stacks.

Note that I am not saying either rotation is right or wrong. Personally I think having a set rotation for any spec is not a good idea and that's why I spent so much time in my guide explaining some of the key concepts and also why in my "Put it together" section I didn't include any sort of timer. On a stand up still burn I would probably do your rotation (in fact I do , like on the 20s burn mini or say in a SOL). However I used to play inquisitor on some of the most movement heavy fights due to specific jobs (the 2 I can think of right on top of my head is killing/interrupt spirit on zilas and killing/interrupt stingers on aky). This rotation listed in my guide is made by my personal experience and has been working very well when it comes to deal with actual raid situations.

Anyway I would like to thank you again for your response. Very good points and I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by ChinaPandaMan; 01-31-2016 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orkiliyem View Post

Orki
    ^

What Orki said.

Best guide out there for inq, but far from completely accurate, and the HD usage needs some work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikos View Post
    ^

What Orki said.

Best guide out there for inq, but far from completely accurate, and the HD usage needs some work.
    ^
    What I replied to Orki.

#show Bolt of Judgment
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast bolt of judgment
    cast break free
    cast radical coalescence

Is dis good macro?

For Realz though: Good Guide, gonna tell some people to use it in game
    Last edited by Rgizil; 01-31-2016 at 11:05 PM.
    RGI@Deepwood --- <-Hello Kitty->
    [A Stick]
    King of Conquest

some people can't reproduce this bug but i always use ai before nysyrs because of ai not always consuming a stack of zealotry even when every bod crits.
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

Shield of Telara

What about double BoD, i.e. NR>BoD(1s)>BoD(instant)>AI or any other combination you prefer using the channels?

Good guide btw
    Last edited by Trauumhaft; 02-01-2016 at 01:17 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast