+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By Errata

Thread: Errata's Shaman summary

Soulwalker

Default Errata's Shaman summary

Introduction
    Since there are currently no comprehensive Shaman guides out there, I shall endeavor to summarize what I research. There are a lot of useful information in the forums, but they tend to be in the discussions or otherwise not easily accessible. I think that having a summary in written form would be helpful for people.

Credit/References:
    Ahov's SL Shaman guide - Outdated, but contains a lot of concepts and discussions that are still very much relevant to current shaman rotation
    Hiko's Shaman guide - Basically a youtube video with the optimal cd rotation.
    Discharge's 3.0 Shaman guide

The Spec
    Buffs: Furious Assault, Glory of the Chosen, Armor of Devotion, Heart of the Frozen Sea, VotWS/VotPN
    Synergy Crystal: Eldritch Crystal

Pros:
    + top dps spec for clerics
    + strong cd block
    + good cleave

Cons:
    - limited utilities to deal with disconnects
    - takes a while to get use to

Rotation
    The shaman rotation revolves around the Frostbite, a buff put up by non-physical weapon attacks that increases the damage of the next physical attack by 30%. As such, you would be alternating phys and non-phys attacks to achieve maximum dps. There are exceptions to the rule, but we'll get to that later.

The shaman rotation operates under a priority system, rather than a strict rotation. Understanding your priorities will help you recover from screw-ups, lag-spikes or unexpected disconnects.

Non-physical attack priorities:
    Frozen Wrath
    Glacial Strike
    Lightning Hammer
    Jolt proc
    Icy Blow

Physical attack priorities:
    Massive Blow
    Punishing Strike
    Combined Effort
    Crushing Blow

Note that Sanction Heretic is not a non-physical weapon attack. Regardless, you should keep it up 100% of the time, since it is very much worth casting with the Faith's Freedom mastery. To keep the rotation neat, always use Sanction just before (or after) Lightning hammer, as they have the same timer.

In a nut shell:
    - keep Lightning Hammer and Sanction on your target (FW is top priority, but it should always be up due to PS)
    - alternate highest priority phys and non-phys attacks that is currently available

Macros
    Single target macros
    Spoiler!

Cleave macros
    Spoiler!

Optional macros
    Spoiler!

Separate keybinds: Sanction Heretic, Lightning Hammer, Massive Blow, Punishing Strike, Strike of the Maelstrom, Avalanche Strike, Rage of the North, Rush of Strength, Bitter Wind, Ride the Lightning, Jolt, Icy Blow, Glacial Strike, Windwalk, Vengeance of the Primal North, Vengeance of the Winter Storm

Cooldown block
    Your CD block revolved around Rage of the North and Deep Freeze. You have 2 options:
    Easy CD block:
    (RotN+DF+MB) > (Jolt/Glacial) > (PS)
    For this, you can save RoS specifically for the CD block. In which case, you just have to make sure Jolt and PS are available for the block.

Optimal CD block:
    (RotN+PS) > (SH) > (LH) > (DF+MB) > (Jolt/Glacial) > (Ros+MB)
    - RotN gives you 10 stacks, each of which gives you 10% crit chance. Each attack consumes 1 stack. You already have a high crit chance in a raid, so you want to consume the first few stacks on your dots (PS refreshes FW). This makes all three dots have 100% crit.
    - DF, on the other hand, only increases damage for its duration. You want to use 3 abilities that gives the most instantaneous damage while it is up. These are MB, Glacial/Jolt, MB (you would clip 1 tick of brutalize). The first MB and Jolt/Glacial will crit. The second MB has a very high chance of critting. If you are using crit pots, use it with RoS.
    - The block itself takes practice but isn't too bad, specially if you use (CD Macro 1). What takes even more practice is making sure you can do the same thing every minute. For this to happen:
    • You have to use your last MB on the lead up to your cd block when there is 4s or more on your SH. If you use MB when there are less than 4s on SH, MB will not be available for your DF window.
    • You then have to ensure that you use PS when there are 8s or more in your SH just before your cd block. This means that you have to use a manual keybind, as it will go off cd when there is exactly 8s in SH if everything goes according to plan. If you have ability queue, you will queue another ability and you will miss the window and delay your cd block for 2s.
    • At around the 30s mark, just after you refresh SH and LH, you will use (RoS+MB) and PS would have 2s on it's cd. If you go (non-phys) > (phys) > (non-phys), you would delay using PS for 1s and it wont be up in time for your cd block.
    • Instead, you want to go (SH) > (LH) > (RoS+MB) > (Jolt/non-phys) > (Jolt/non-phys) > (PS). I.e., use 2 non-phys after your RoS at the Xm30s mark.
    • To summarize:
      - use last PS before the cd block when there are 8s or more on Sanction
      - use last MB before the cd block when there are 4s or more on Sanction
      - use last Jolt before the cd block when there are 3s or more on Sanction

Now, this is if you do not have any disconnects. On fights with actual mechanics, you would have to adjust your rotation so you nail the cd block when raid cds are called. This is the reason why we have all those buttons I listed above.

Opening rotation:
    (FW) > (phys 2) > (non-phys) > [CD BLOCK]

Alternatives:
    If you are absolutely sure that flaring, lava and WG are up 3s into the fight, you can go:
    (FW) > [CD BLOCK]
    and not have to use a Fervent Strike and potentially an Ekkehard's Grasp while getting into range. This is the opening rotation used by Hikos in his video.

An alternative opening rotation was suggested by Biomed:
    (SH)>(FW)>(PS)>(LH)>(RotN+DF+MB)>(Jolt)>(RoS+MB)
    This similarly has 4 ranged attacks at the start. Just make sure you align things back for your next cd block (see his post below for details).

Cleaving
    If you are going full aoe, you should:
    • turn on VotPN
    • make sure something has FW
    • alternate SotM and AS
    - You almost never do this for any relevant raid encounter.

If you are asked to cleave off the boss, that means that you should maintain high ST dps while also contributing to aoe dps. For shamans, this means that you need to use your normal rotation, but replace your lowest priority phys and non-phys abilities (crushing blow and icy blow, respectively) with SotM and AS. You can use the cleave macros instead of the ST macros and pretty much do your ST rotation. Just remember to spread your FW at the start.

My suggestion is to have a cleave bar. If you look at your main bar, you would see up and down arrows on the right side. You can actually keybind several main bars. In my case, mainbar 1 is on H and mainbar 2 is on shift-H. My mainbar 2 is identical to mainbar 1, except it has (phys 1 cleave), (phys 2 cleave) and (non-phys cleave) instead of (phys 1), (phys 2) and (non-phys) macros. If I want to cleave, I just press shift-H and continue what I was doing. Make sure you go back to VotWS when going back to ST.

Notes
    • Make sure you use RoS on cd at the Xm30s mark. This ensures that it is always up for the cd block
    • Always use SH and LH together. This keeps the rotation neat.
    • Never use 2 phys attacks in a row
    • Don't use Jolt without a proc
    • Use DF at the very end of the gcd just before MB. This ensures you get 3 attacks in while DF is active.
    • Make sure you turn VotWS back on after cleaving
    Last edited by Errata; 10-30-2015 at 04:14 AM. Reason: added alternative opening rotations

> cast [notactive] Vengeance of the Primal North

This skill is not a toggle, so I'm pretty sure that macro won't work

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    > cast [notactive] Vengeance of the Primal North

This skill is not a toggle, so I'm pretty sure that macro won't work
    Ops, played to much mage. I'll correct it now. Thanks. For some reason, I thought I had that in my cleric macros when I was writing this.
    Last edited by Errata; 10-29-2015 at 06:48 AM.

Errata's erratum.

Nice guide overall, saves me from finally writing one (probably more in depth than what I'd have written too)
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria
    World First 5-man Easy Mode 1/4 GP

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by fufi View Post
    Errata's erratum.

Quote Originally Posted by fufi View Post
    Nice guide overall, saves me from finally writing one (probably more in depth than what I'd have written too)
    Thanks! I originally wrote this guide for my guild in an effort to optimize our raid dps. Since I already wrote it, I thought I might as well put it up.

Telaran

Great, very well thoughtout, and very well put together. The only thing I would like to mention is your opening rotation. It's super simple but not optimal. If I were you I would add a secondary one that will allow your burst to go through the roof. I know my opener is different from Hikos (something him and I have actually spoken about) but with mine all of my abilities line up and works for me. I get amazing burst and I try to maximize my overall dps.

The opener is Sh, Fw, Ps, Lh, Rotn, Df/massive, jolt, RoS/massive.

The reason for this is you A) fights start at ranged and the first 4 abilities are ranged which lead to B) flaring power and lava aren't used until about 3-5 seconds in like 95 percent fights, the first 4 abilities allow you to delay your hardest hitting abilities until debuffs and raid CDs are rolling/being in melee range and C) you're missing out of 4 to 5 seconds of sh/vex and lightning hammer.

In the grand scheme of things these changes aren't the difference between you doing 100k or a bajillion dps. However, with the effort and time you seem to have put into this guide and shaman as a whole, I feel like you could use this type of info.

Side note.....Hikos is the best shaman I have seen and probably in the top 2 parsing shamans in the game. What he has put into his video guide is THE way to play it. I use my opener because it is the way I taught myself, I enjoy it, and old habits die hard.

Soulwalker

@Biomed Thanks for the compliment! To be fair, in Hikos guide, the cd block that he used was FW > [cd block]. He also mentioned that if raid cds aren't up after 3s into the fight, one should shout at the chon. As I am not as assertive as he is, I took the liberty of adding fillers before the cd block to ensure that the DF part lies comfortably within raid cds.

Also, operating under the assumption that raid cds are up 3s into the fight, in my head, I thought it might be better to make sure to align your dots within raid cds, as this means that not only the first set of dots get buffed, but all other subsequent dots. If I put up dots early, then dot refreshes will always miss the raid cds if things are not delayed. As you mentioned, in the grand scheme of things, the difference this would make would probably within rng uncertainty.

If you don't mind, I can add your alternative opening rotation to the guide so it is more visible to people.
    Last edited by Errata; 10-29-2015 at 05:39 PM.

Telaran

Yeah I guess I should have gone a little further. The reason I mentioned about it aligns things up for me is because I actually delay refreshing sh/vex and LH by one full non physical, physical rotation the first time it needs to be refreshed, doing this guarantees that on the next rush of strength I can Mb, Lh, Sh/Ros, Mb and not clip any of my brutalized ticks. It basically gets used the second it comes off Cd ensuring it's back up the moment it is needed in rotn/df and when raid cds are flowing.

From then on out all the dots line up to where I get the mb, jolt, mb in Df, followed by Lh, Sh, physical ability under Rotn. So massive gets the 100, jolt gets the 90, massive get the 80, LH gets the 70, and sh/vex get the 60 percent chance each rotn block after the first.

I guess I could swap the order I do lh, sh, but like I said earlier old habits are hard to break.
    Last edited by Biomed; 10-29-2015 at 09:29 PM.

Soulwalker

That's very interesting. So your cd block after the after the initial block looks like
    (RoTN+DF+MB)>(Jolt+RoS)>(MB)>(LH)>(SH)>(phys),
    with the (phys) ideally being PS? That would mean that PS gets 40%, since SH eats up 2 stacks.

I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Plane Touched

Thanks for writing this, seems like a good guide. I especially liked your in-depth elaboration on cleave, since so many current bosses are cleave fights, this is very useful.
    Athanil@Gelidra <Harshmallows>
    -- 11/11 HK | 8/9 MoM | 4/4 CoA NM --

Telaran

tyvm, very helpful

for the simple CD block

is this one;
    (RotN+DF+MB) > (Jolt/Glacial) > (PS)

better than this one:
    (RotN+DF+MB) > (Jolt/Glacial+Ros) > (MB)

and should i save RoS for the cooldown block only?

is it better to use Ros in the middle of the CD block or before? (if MB isnt available) so you dont delay your block
    Last edited by Chili101; 11-02-2015 at 11:41 AM.

Soulwalker

I'm glad you found it useful.I always try to use PS with as many stacks of RotN as possible. This is because it hits hard, and it refreshes FW while just consuming 1 stack. The simple cd block also has the advantage of not clipping brutalize from your first MB.

If you can line up your RoS with your cd block, that would be best. Your dots should help you time your second RoS at the Xm30s mark. When you are about to refresh your dots for the second time since after the cd block, you know that your RoS should be also up around that time. It is helpful to think of your rotation in blocks of 15s, with fillers being dictated by your priority list.

As for using RoS early or not, I would use it early to "reset" your rotation every minute. This allows you to recover from earlier mistakes and go back to square one every minute.

just wanted to post that i think this is a really great guide and i direct everyone that asks me about shaman here because it's probably the best/most complete i've seen to date.

thanks for this.
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

Soulwalker

I've learned some things here, thx.

+ Reply to Thread