+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [3.2 / 3.3] Cabalist Guide

Plane Touched

Default [3.2 / 3.3] Cabalist Guide

Introduction
    Hello Cleric Forum,
    and welcome to my guide on 61 Cabalist, the dedicated AoE DPS spec of the Cleric class, and it's playstyle in PvE.
    Since Cabalist is being used again on some Hammerknell fights and in NMRs, and TheGrinnz's excellent guide on the soul is now a bit outdated, I decided to make a new guide for the Cabalist in PvE.
    Now I want to start by saying that I am by no means a Cabalist expert. As such I will not attempt to make a guide that is better than the one TheGrinnz made, instead I will aim at providing some insight to what Cabalist is now, in 3.2 and soon in 3.3, compared to what it used to be back then, all the while explaining, to my best knowledge, the current Cabalist playstyle. I will not go in-depth on the concepts and foundations of the soul, and everyone who is looking for that should look to the old guide, because it is really good and most of the things said there are still true.

Table of Contents
    1. Soul Tree, Masteries, Buffs
    2. Ability Overview and Macros
    3. AoE Rotation
    4. ST Rotation

Soul Tree, Masteries, Buffs

61 points into Cabalist are pretty much essential. 10 points in Shaman result in the highest full AoE damage, however for more ST-heavy scenarios like Matron Zamira, Inquisitor is added for Sanction and Vex to enhance ST, and Defiler for Rage Blight. This results in the following specs:

Maximum AoE DPS spec: (Thanks to Chetar, ecru and Gilgad for pointing this out!)
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#n...FiAEw/l8g|XJ_g
    Sanction Spec:
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#n...yFiAEw/Uf|XJ_g
    Sanction + Purge spec:
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#n...yFiAEw/le|XJ_g
    F2P Sanction spec:
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#n...FiAEw/l8|TXJ_g

Masteries:
    61 - Soul Collector Not very important, but minimally better than the other ones
    62 - Divine Inspiration Since you don't have a range increase from Soul Tree
    63 - Meditation Essential, as it allows you to spread Darkness.
    64 - Sinister Resolve Alternative would perhaps be Steady Assault or Diversify, but from my experience SR is better
    65 - Soul Stream Only good for Single Target, but the other ones are useless for Cabalist so might as well get it

Buffs
    Sign of Asias - Your Mage-Armor-esque buff. Gives you more damage and makes Shadow's Touch apply Darkness.

Unbounded/Condensed/Focused Obliteration - Change your abilities depending on the number of targets. You should use Unbounded for 6 or more targets, Condensed for 5 or less, and Focused for a single target.

Rage Blight - Increases your damage when you take damage yourself. Putting Blighted Greed on your tank will cause the buff to stay up almost permanently.

Armor of Devotion - Flat bonus to crit chance.

Ability Overview and Macros

Cabalist requires rather many buttons to play properly. Apart from the ST rotation, the spec shouldn't be dumbed down by Macros, the damage loss is too big.
    The only macro I use for Cabalist is this:
    Spoiler!

Thanks to Eilauria for pointing me to Marrow Harvest being worthwhile to use in Single Target.

Damage Abilities
    Spoiler!

Control and Utility Abilities
    Spoiler!

AoE Rotation
    AoE DPS as Cabalist revolves around three things: Spreading and triggering Tyranny of Death, maintaining curses and Well of Souls, and using Ravaging darkness every minute to spread 3 stacks of darkness.

Priority List
    1. Shadow's Touch or Dark Water to maintain 3 stacks on primary target
    \/
    2. Well of Souls if not active
    \/
    3. Curse of Anarchy if not active (Or any other curse...)
    \/
    4. Tyranny of Death
    \/
    5. Bound Fate (if not used since last using ToD)
    \/
    7. Ravaging Darkness (only if 3 stacks of Darkness on main target)
    \/
    6. Unleash Oblivion (only if ToD has been applied and spread)
    \/
    7. Disintegration (only if ToD has been applied and spread)
    \/
    8. Bound Fate

Opening Rotation
    Dark Water -> Dark Water -> Dark Water -> Ravaging Darkness -> Well of Souls -> Curse of Anarchy -> Tyranny of Death -> Bound Fate -> Unleash Oblivion -> Tyranny of Death -> Bound Fate -> Dark Water -> Disintegration -> Well of Souls -> Curse of Anarchy -> Tyranny of Death -> Bound Fate

This is assuming the fight doesn't require the use of Maelstrom or any Sigils at the start.

No Ramp-up Burst Opening Rotation
    To be used on quick-dying mob groups or when raid cooldowns don't exist or are used early
    Well of Souls -> Tyranny of Death -> Bound Fate -> Curse of Anarchy -> Unleash Oblivion -> Tyranny of Death -> Bound Fate -> Disintegration -> Tyranny of Death -> Bound Fate -> Dark Water -> Dark Water -> Dark Water -> Ravaging Darkness

ST Rotation
    Single Target is pretty damn easy, but also pretty weak. You'll be using Focused Obliteration.
    Basically maintain Well of Souls, Vex and Curses, use Soul Stream when available, and otherwise spam your Shadow's touch macro:

Priority List
    1. Shadow's Touch or Dark Water if Darkness stacks are about to fall of
    \/
    2. Well of Souls if not active
    \/
    3. Curse of Anarchy if not active (Or any other curse...)
    \/
    4. Vex if not active
    \/
    5. Soul Stream
    \/
    6. Sanction Heretic
    \/
    7. Tyranny of Death
    \/
    8. Disintegration
    \/
    9. Marrow harvest
    \/
    10. Shadow's Touch

And that is basically how to play Cabalist. Thank you for taking the time to read this guide (if you did). If you have any questions feel free to ask, or if you saw something dead wrong in this guide, do not hesitate to point it out! Most importantly, have fun!
    Last edited by Athanil; 05-21-2016 at 07:56 AM. Reason: updated offsouls on some rarely used specs
    Athanil@Gelidra <Harshmallows>
    -- 11/11 HK | 8/9 MoM | 4/4 CoA NM --

Telaran

Thanks for writing this guide, though I wonder if 61 Cab 10 Sham 5 Inq would parse higher on AOE? I believe Grinnz's guide was written before shammy tier 1 was changed from 10% Wis to 10% SP.

Shamin variant parses much higher in aoe.

Nice guide

Plane Touched

Thanks for your feedback, i'll definitely add the shaman variant!

this is the spec i use and may or may not be the "shaman variant" people have mentioned. not entirely sure if it's the highest parsing spec but for me cab is mostly a pvp soul and the extra crit chance helps there. same spec as in my video too.

something to note is that the divine inspiration mastery increases the range of all cabalist damaging abilities excluding unleash oblivion, which remains at 30m. i reported this as a bug as early as november or december, but it hasn't been addressed, fixed, or changed yet.
    Last edited by ecru; 07-15-2015 at 05:17 PM.
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

Quote Originally Posted by ecru View Post

this is the spec i use and may or may not be the "shaman variant" people have mentioned. not entirely sure if it's the highest parsing spec but for me cab is mostly a pvp soul and the extra crit chance helps there. same spec as in my video too.

something to note is that the divine inspiration mastery increases the range of all cabalist damaging abilities excluding unleash oblivion, which remains at 30m. i reported this as a bug as early as november or december, but it hasn't been addressed, fixed, or changed yet.
    Yeah that's the spec, but you put 2 points from crit into dmg in shaman

So spending 4 GCDs on DW and Ravaging is really a DPS gain?
    In most of my expert groups, the mobs would be dead by then.

Instead of the extra 5 in shammy, for 5% crit, wouldn't it be better to put the other 5 points, in inquis for 5% more damage?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    If anything is about to die (making Tyranny proc) getting Tyranny on all targets is a higher priority than DW in my opinion.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    While it may be true that on very short-lived mobs, the investment of those 4 GCDs would not pay off, it will definitely be a DPS increase on the long run. When we were progressing on Matron Zamira, for example, I tried not using DW/RD on the tome phases, but it was a considerable DPS loss.
    Also I use Shaman for NTEs so don't know if stuff dies before opening with Cab, gonna try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelightt View Post
    If anything is about to die (making Tyranny proc) getting Tyranny on all targets is a higher priority than DW in my opinion.
    This is probably true for very short-lived enemies. However in a "general" scenario, it is better to spread DW first as far as I can tell.

Another reason why I prefer to put up DW and spread it before I go into my Tyranny/Oblivion/Disint block is that for example on NMR waves, raid cooldowns will mostly be used a few GCDs into combat, allowing the heaviest hitting block (Oblivion + 1st Disint) to be affectec by those.

Rift Disciple

you might want to retest diversify in your parse cause sinister resolve doesnt effect instant abilities which all cab is so you are only gaining extra dmg on curses and well of souls with sinister resolve where as with diversify you will get it with everything

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Naught View Post
    you might want to retest diversify in your parse cause sinister resolve doesnt effect instant abilities which all cab is so you are only gaining extra dmg on curses and well of souls with sinister resolve where as with diversify you will get it with everything
    Sinister Resolve also affects Tyranny of Death, as it counts as delayed. Tyranny of Death makes up the majority of Cabalist DPS.

I am pretty sure my results were Sinister Resolve > Steady Assault > Diversify in multiple parses with all four specs. If you have data showing the opposite, I would be interested to see it, but from all I can tell right now, it is the best of the three.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Happysack View Post
    Instead of the extra 5 in shammy, for 5% crit, wouldn't it be better to put the other 5 points, in inquis for 5% more damage?
    I'll be testing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Happysack View Post
    Let's call math to the rescue !

The 5% crit are 5% more crit, which roughly says "your natural crit chance before that was x, your new crit chance is x+0.05.
    This means that for an average damage of y, you go from :
    y * (1-x) + y * 1.9*x =
    y * ((1-x) + (1.9*x)) =
    y * (1 + 0.9x)
    1.9 is the crit modifier once you're CP capped (1.5 natural + 0.4 from CP).

to :
    y * (1-(x+0.05)) + y * 1.9 * (x+0.05) =
    y * (1-(x+0.05) + 1.9 * (x + 0.05)) =
    y * (0.95 + 0.9x + 0.095) =
    y * (1.045 + 0.9x)

Which means the increase in damage goes like : (formulae -> [(new - old) / old])
    [(y * (1.045 + 0.9x)) - (y * (1 + 0.9x))] / [y * (1 + 0.9x)] =
    [y * (0.045)] / [y * (1+0.9x)] =
    0.045 / (1 + 0.9x)

It gives 3.3% using 40% crit chance, 3.5% with 30% crit chance.
    Basically, you can say it's at the very least 3% more damage.

Now the math for the +% damage.
    Adding all the talents affecting Tyranny of Death, we get to 125%. If you take another 5%, you'll end up with 130%.
    (130 - 125) / 125 = 0.04 = 4%

And aaaaawww **** man that's a completely unexpected result, I must have ****ed up somewhere in the crit% math.
    Tyranny of death being one of the spell from cabalist with the most +%damage talents, this would mean the other skills would relatively getting even more increase from +% from inq.
    Someone check the math please !

Edit : Regardless, for PvE, I go with defiler/inq as subsouls. Multiplicative Rage Blight too strong.
    Last edited by fufi; 07-17-2015 at 01:13 AM.
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria
    World First 5-man Easy Mode 1/4 GP

Found out where the math was wrong :
    You don't go from 125% to 130%, but from 225% to 230% !
    (230 - 225) / 225 = 0.22222... = 2.22... %

Which is inferior to the (at least) 3% increase from increased crit chance, which was the expected result !
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria
    World First 5-man Easy Mode 1/4 GP

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast