+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What reavers can do, we can do too: Cleric DoT Spec [not serious!]

Plane Touched

Default What reavers can do, we can do too: Cleric DoT Spec [not serious!]

Hey everyone,
    in this post I want to show you my DoT-oriented cleric DPS funspec. Before i start, here is an important DISCLAIMER:
    This spec is not competitive in terms of DPS, both AoE and ST. While it's DPS isn't completely sh*t, it sure doesn't do as much as Inquisitor or Shaman in ST, or Cabalist in AoE.
    This spec was not made to pull huge numbers, it was made for fun. Please do not use this spec in a raid if your raid DPS isn't already a lot higher than necessary.
    I will not react to any comments about this spec having low DPS compared to x other spec. If you, however, find a way to tune this spec to do more DPS, please tell me!

So, now that this has been taken care of, let me quickly explain the motivation. I have recently been playing a warrior and a mage (on low levels) and I really enjoyed the playstyle of their DoT specs, the reaver and warlock. So I wanted to make something like that for the cleric. The Inquisitor and Cabalist souls already rely on DoTs to do some of their damage, so blending them and adding the Defiler as a third soul was the way to go if i wanted to have a cleric DoT spec. The two specs showcased here were the ones i found worked best, both in terms of damage and in terms of easyness. I tried the spec both in Warfronts and experts and had lots of fun playing it.

The Specs
    ST focused spec:
    40 Cabalist / 24 Inquisitor / 12 Defiler

AoE focused spec:
    40 Cabalist /24 Inquisitor / 12 Defiler (Different masteries and cabalist point allocation)

Pros and Cons
    Pros:
    - Easy Rotation
    - Strong AoE damage (although weaker than Shaman and Cabalist)
    - Movement friendly (relies completely on instant casts)
    - Targets can move out of range or LoS without greatly reducing your DPS
    - Strong in PvP (But not as OP as Inquisitor)
    - Can Purge
    - Fun

Cons
    - No competitive DPS
    - Almost no self-healing
    - Vulnerable to cleanses (although soul collector offers a little bit of compensation)

The Buffs
    While doing ST: Focused Obliteration, Armor of Devotion, Rage Blight, Blighted Greed on the Tank
    While doing AoE: Condensed or Unbounded Obliteration, Armor of Devotion, Rage Blight, Blighted Greed on the Tank

Macros and Abilities

Single-Target Spam Macro
    Code:
    #show disintegration
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast tyranny of death
    cast marrow harvest
    cast disintegration
    cast dark water
    AoE Spam Macro
    Code:
    #show soul drain
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast tyranny of death
    cast disintegration
    cast soul drain
    cast bound fate
    AoE Spam Macro (for AoE-focused spec
    Code:
    #show soul drain
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast tyranny of death
    cast disintegration
    cast ravaging darkness
    cast soul drain
    cast bound fate
    Abilities to have on your bar:
    Sanction Heretic, Siphon Vitality, Curse of Solitude, Dark Water, Soul Stream, Purge, Sigil of Woe, Sigil of Binding, Sigil of Secrecy

Rotations

Single Target Rotation
    Open with:
    Sanction Heretic -> Siphon Vitality -> Curse of Solitude -> Dark Water -> Dark Water -> Dark Water -> Soul Stream
    From that point on you just keep refreshing SH, SV and CoS when they fall off, and Dark Water just before it falls of, because you need to maintain 3 stacks of it. In the meantime, spam your ST Spam Macro and cast Soul Stream when it comes off cooldown. Except for Soul Stream, everything you do should be instant cast. You can set up Karuul Alerts to keep track of your DoTs easier.

AoE Rotation (when using ST Spec)
    AoE with the ST spec is pretty simple, you switch to condensed obliteration, keep up Curse of Solitude on the mobs (hitting one will apply it to 5), and otherwise spam your AoE Spam Macro. The only non-instant ability in that macro is Soul Drain, so be careful to stand still when you're casting it.

AoE Rotation (when using AoE Spec)
    AoE with the special AoE spec is a little bit more complicated. You now also have ravaging darkness, which spreads your Dark Water between your targets, making Dark Water worthwhile to use in AoE scenarios. You also have to decide between Unbounded Obliteration and Condensed Obliteration, based on the amount of targets. (Unbounded for more than 5, Condensed for 5 or less)
    You start by applying Curse of Solitude, then apply 3 stacks of Dark Water and spam your AoE Macro while refreshing Curse of Solitude whenever it falls of and maintaining Dark Water on your primary target. Ravaging Darkness has a longer cooldown than the duration Dark Water, so it will be hitting only your target 50% of the time, still it is crucial to keep it at 3 stacks.

Thanks for reading, please leave constructive criticism and/or suggestions!
    Athanil@Gelidra <Harshmallows>
    -- 11/11 HK | 8/9 MoM | 4/4 CoA NM --

Soulwalker

Default Thanks

Thanks anyways

Soulwalker

Default What IS the DPS

Just for comparison, what is the DPS on this spec, compared to your usual DPS using Inq?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Graey View Post
    Just for comparison, what is the DPS on this spec, compared to your usual DPS using Inq?
    Usual DPS with Inq: 39-44k (my gear is horrible)
    Usual DPS with this: 32-35k

Usual AoE with Inq: 35-50k
    Usual AoE with this: 73-80k
    Athanil@Gelidra <Harshmallows>
    -- 11/11 HK | 8/9 MoM | 4/4 CoA NM --

+ Reply to Thread