+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: [3.1] How To Tank Your Dragon - Justicar Guide

Default [3.1] How To Tank Your Dragon - Justicar Guide

Table of Contents

Introduction

Justicar is the Cleric's tanking soul. It's primary use in a raid is the battle rez and the healing it puts out. Besides that it has very good threat on single and multiple targets. It is viable to use a Justicar on pretty much every boss since it is the only class that brings a battle rezz in their tank spec.

Builds
    The third build works for any content out there, it loses out on 3% passive healing received though. You can swap out Diversify in either of the builds for Steady Assault if you prefer less crits but more non crit damage.

Abilities

Buffs
    • Salvation Heals on every hit based on the ability used. Always active.
    • Cavalier Gain a conviction when using a life based damaging ability, 7 max
    • Mien of Leadership
    • Armor of Treachery
    • Courage of the Bear
    • Vengeance of the Winter Storm
    • Righteous Mandate Put on your OT, otherwise on your healer
    • Purpose Toggle, Only activate to regain mana (rarely needed)

Cooldowns
    • Doctrine of Glory 30s, 2.86% Damage Reduction * Convictions spent (20% max) for 4s
    • Reprieve 1min, 100% Heal on self, 50% of your health to your RM target
    • Just Defense 1min, 50% of your health as a self shield for 10s
    • Soul Stream 1min, Restores 50% of your health to you or an ally every second for 3s.
    • Resplendent Embrace 2min, 20% max health and 50% healing received for 10s

Utility
    • Total Assurance 1min, Grants 7 Convictions and 50% Healing/Damage to the next 2 Conviction consumers
    • Intercede 30s, Gives guard and 50% link to an ally, 2min debuff, used as mechanic on some fights
    • Righteous Imperative 20s, AoE Taunt
    • Provoke 8s, ST taunt
    • Interdict 10s, Interrupt with minor AoE
    • Ride the Lightning 15s, Basic Charge with 1.5s root
    • Doctrine of Loyalty AoE Heal, consumes up to 4 convictions
    • Doctrine of Bliss Self Heal, consumes up to 4 convictions
    • Rebuke: 1min, targeted AoE pull and taunt
    • Absolution 5min, 100% HP Battle Rez
    • Sovereignty 30s, 2s stun

Damage
    • Precept of Refuge 5s, Melee, Applies 5% Block buff to yourself
    • Hammer of Duty Deals ranged ST damage, consumes all convictions
    • Hammer of Faith Deals ranged AoE damage around a target, consumes all convictions
    • Even Justice Deals AoE damage around you, main AoE spam
    • Bolt of Radiance 8s, Ranged damage
    • Strike of Retribution Melee damage, oGCD, activates on block, might not be worth the mana tbh
    • Strike of Judgment Melee damage, worse than Reckoning besides regaining mana
    • Reckoning Ranged damage, increases movement speed, main st spam
    • Doctrine of Authority 15s, Melee damage, slight AoE heal, 1 Conviction consumed
    • Censure Ranged Dot, spread by HoF, reduces Hit by 5%, 15s duration, applied by DoA in build 3

Macros
    • Basic Spam Macro
      #show Precept of Refuge
      suppressmacrofailures
      cast Precept of Refuge
      cast Doctrine of Authority
      cast Bolt of Radiance
      cast Reckoning
      cast Strike of Retribution
    • Soul Stream
      #show Soul Stream
      suppressmacrofailures
      cast @self Soul Stream
    • Intercede
      #show Intercede
      suppressmacrofailures
      cast @mouseoverui Intercede
      cast Intercede

Initial Threat

Single Target

Hammer of Duty > (Total Assurance) > Hammer of Duty > Doctrine of Authority

Basic spam macro afterwards.

Multi Target

Hammer of Faith > (Righteous Imperative) > Censure/DoA > (Total Assurance) > Hammer of Faith

Generally move melee targets on top of ranged ones that don't move. Pull in extras with Rebuke.

Even Justice spam after you have all adds under control.

Cooldown Timing

Timing your cooldowns is crucial to your survival on bosses with heavy tank damage, knowing when to use them can make the difference between a kill and a wipe.

Preemptive
    • Resplendent Embrace Pretty good against constant damage while also protecting from burst.
    • Just Defense Big shield, use before anticipated damage, active trinkets that apply shields should be used in the same way.
    • Doctrine of Glory Best combined with another cooldown due to it's own short cooldown to prevent big damage spikes from killing you.

Reactive
    • Reprieve Use if you already have low HP and expect incoming damage, or time it with constant damage (e.g Drekanoth) can also be use to save the other tank. Doctrine of Bliss acts as a weaker Reprieve.
    • Soul Stream Counters expected damage ticks effectivly (e.g Drekanoth), be aware that this ability has a slight delay before the first healing tick!

Contact
    If you have any questions or suggestions you can contact me on the forums or ingame:
    • Atziri@Deepwood
    • Axarion@Deepwood
    Last edited by Axarion; 03-06-2015 at 05:21 PM.

Reserved, just in case. Feedback would be appreciated

RIFT Guide Writer

I'm giving you a like just cause the name.
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

Optimal initial treat would be Bolt of Radiance -> Hammer of Duty -> Total assurance -> Doctorine of authority -> Hammer of duty. Travel time allows bolt and hammer hit at the same time from 30 meter range.

I would not have DoA on my spam macro I like the control over it.

For AoE there is no need to hurry with the censure make you you got the mobs under control, preferably without aoe taunt but maybe I'm just old school like that. After that you should censure tho.

I would remind you DoL is actually rather useful ability on some things aoe threat is good IF it actually heals people.

This could be expanded a lot with things that actually make you a good tank:
    - MOVEMENT and POSITIONING. Including mob models and they behave how you should move to maximize DPS up time with each model. Losing, ranges to healers, dps and X. This is the big one there is only handful of tanks in this game who get this right.
    - Body pushing the lost art?
    - Proper gearing none of that " block is 0.4 of endurance"

I'll give you like for the effort, keep it up!
    Last edited by Pokesi; 03-06-2015 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokesi View Post
    Optimal initial treat would be Bolt of Radiance -> Hammer of Duty -> Total assurance -> Doctorine of authority -> Hammer of duty. Travel time allows bolt and hammer hit at the same time from 30 meter range.
    In theory you are right, but people like to go nuts as soon as they see anything fly towards the boss so I prefer to start up with something that hits without delay.

I would not have DoA on my spam macro I like the control over it.
    Personal preference, it is more ideal to have it on it's own key, but especially if you have the mastery it barely matters.

For AoE there is no need to hurry with the censure make you you got the mobs under control, preferably without aoe taunt but maybe I'm just old school like that. After that you should censure tho.
    Not sure what you mean, my opener lists the AoE taunt right after the first hammer?

EDIT: My bad read that wrong, the AoE taunt is obviously optional but I found it almost always necessary on Finric for example since Hammer of Faith won't hit all the adds reliably

I would remind you DoL is actually rather useful ability on some things aoe threat is good IF it actually heals people.
    It's good but in the current content there is very few uses for it besides fluff heals. Either no constant damage when adds spawn to ensure DoL does enough threat or no adds at all. If I can pick them up with a Hammer I prefer to do that instead of relying on people to have less than max HP.

This could be expanded a lot with things that actually make you a good tank:
    - MOVEMENT and POSITIONING. Including mob models and they behave how you should move to maximize DPS up time with each model. Losing, ranges to healers, dps and X. This is the big one there is only handful of tanks in this game who get this right.
    - Body pushing the lost art?
    - Proper gearing none of that " block is 0.4 of endurance"
    The guide isn't completely finished yet obviously, I was thinking of adding tips for each boss in atleast the 10 man (many people still have issues with tanking Ungolok). Some of your ideas sound good too.
    Last edited by Axarion; 03-06-2015 at 02:53 PM.

Since the 2.7 Justicar change there's been many Justicar guides that popped up and they pretty much say the same thing.
    The only thing only they would need is a update to 3.0 to make them current.

Comparing them to yours, why should people look to yours instead?

The spec doesn't have the range increases or the Censure mastery, it should be http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#n...ll5h0/lgw|PIXg
    You might want to consider expanding the builds bit to include others such as Purge, Cleanse and Interrupt versions.

Talk about each ability on how to best or not use it, having a description on what it does is not enough.
    Increase the amount of information when dealing ST & AoE damage to start, you could suggest ways when dealing with OP dps within instances and how to overcome the problem. As well as when you have to pick additional enemies while engaging current targets.

Have a section on gear talking about the type of gear, runes and essences a Justicar should be looking for and any consumables.
    Add the Even Justice macro, and maybe the brez one for Absolution.

This could bring your guide to the current standards set.
    If your planning to edit you need to contact a CM or Mod to do so.

The guide isn't completely finished yet obviously, I was thinking of adding tips for each boss in atleast the 10 man (many people still have issues with tanking Ungolok). Some of your ideas sound good too.
    This would be good as you should be looking to help new players with no experiences with these bosses.
    Last edited by Burninalways; 03-06-2015 at 04:11 PM.
    True Server First Prime GP: Anrak the Foul & Guurloth
    4/5 GSB
    4/4 GP
    4/4 DH

^^^ Agree with Pokesi and Burningalways on pretty much all points.

Even Justice spam after you have all adds under control.
    There is no need to Ever do this, HoF every 7 Convictions + 1 Even Justice is more then enough to keep threat against anyone. Use the ST macro in between to keep Precept of Refuge up and build Convictions. Spamming EJ just eats mana like crazy, for absolutely no reason. Few exceptions where I may spam EJ, the Doctor in RtEC since most the mobs are immune to taunt its the most effective way to pick them up, or picking up loose adds that are in mid run to someone else like say ads on 1st boss GM.

Also Vicar's Bulwark may not provide quite as much healing as SS but also doesn't take 3s to cast so is very useful on fights that are very taxing for the Tank like Ungolok.

/cast @self Vicar's Bulwark

I absolutely prefer Range over the additional SP, threat is basically a non issue for Cleric Tanks.

Soulwalker

Eilauria et al,

In regards to NOT spamming Even Justice, is it advisable to switch targets when spamming the ST macro or is cleric threat such that it just does not matter at all?

Thanks.

I'll give you an example on how strong justicar threat is:

I was doin Return to Iron Tomb with some guildmates. Started pulling last boss. 7 Stack Hammer > TA > 7 Stack Hammer. Had to go to toilet, so I was afk and came back a few minutes later. Boss was dead. Nobody noticed I was afk. And i am not talking about sh*tty 10k dps. They were all doing ~50-60k+
    Last edited by Kapnia; 03-11-2015 at 07:54 AM.
    RIP RIFT | <Transcendent> | Stream | [AddOn] PullTimer
    Trions business plan ...

Fia

Quote Originally Posted by Kapnia View Post

I was doin Return to Iron Tomb with some guildmates. Started pulling last boss. 7 Stack Hammer > TA > 7 Stack Hammer. Had to go to toilet, so I was afk and came back a few minutes later. Boss was dead. Nobody noticed I was afk. And i am not talking about sh*tty 10k dps. They were all doing ~50-60k+
    Yes but don't forget that your shield proc also produces threat automatically when blocking. But I agree, justicar has ridiculous threat production skills. :D
    Fiia@Typhiria | Asthea@Hailol
    Cleric-Heal/Tank/DD | Lvl70

Now with new Prime Content! -> http://youtube.com/astheatv

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Kapnia View Post

Just got HoD numbers from a friend, so not sure if accurate.

He said Hammer of Duty hits for 40k, so HoD -> TA HoD would generate 1.5m Threat in 2 skills assuming neither crit.

****ing OP.

Soulwalker

Question

Ok, i have a Question about stats for NTE.

Our Tank uses this build, has 108.200 Health, 145.508 Armor, 2438 Dodge, 5611 Block, 816 Guard and round about 5800-6800 resistances...

and dies against the non elite inside iron tomb in 8-10 secounds... is there something we're missing?

His equipment is 100% craftet with def runes... something HAS to be wrong, i mean, there's not really better equip for a first time NTE tank, or is there?

RIFT Guide Writer

Some putting your back to mobs. Start hitting CDs. Your healer sucks. That;s the 3 explanations. Also 108k HP is low as hell. Rune and Dream Orb gives you another 10k at least.
    Last edited by evantide; 03-18-2015 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aretoth View Post
    Ok, i have a Question about stats for NTE.

Our Tank uses this build, has 108.200 Health, 145.508 Armor, 2438 Dodge, 5611 Block, 816 Guard and round about 5800-6800 resistances...

and dies against the non elite inside iron tomb in 8-10 secounds... is there something we're missing?

His equipment is 100% craftet with def runes... something HAS to be wrong, i mean, there's not really better equip for a first time NTE tank, or is there?
    It's nothing to do with the tank's stats.
    Trash does far more damage than the bosses in NTEs, most over-geared healers can keep their tank up.
    Those healers that can't either need help via another healer or one/all of the dpsers needs to use CC on trash, it may take longer but the tank shouldn't die.
    True Server First Prime GP: Anrak the Foul & Guurloth
    4/5 GSB
    4/4 GP
    4/4 DH

Quote Originally Posted by evantide View Post
    Some putting your back to mobs. Start hitting CDs. Your healer sucks. That;s the 3 explanations. Also 108k HP is low as hell. Rune and Dream Orb gives you another 10k at least.
    If any1 have information about soft-caps and hard-caps for cleric tanks, please share those figures as I'd love to know where to stop collecting block and switch to dodge and guard.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast