Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Quick Defiler Guide

Default Quick Defiler Guide

As no one has updated or created a guide for 3.0 I thought I would make another guide.
    Though I doubt this guide is needed as the old one is still good, apart from the links to specs.
    Still this will teach new people to be a Defiler in a raid.
    Though warning mistakes could be present.

Best Spec:
    61 Defiler, 8 Inquisitor, 7 Shaman

Alternative Specs:
    61 Defiler, 12 Inquisitor, 3 Shaman - Purge

61 Defiler, 8 Cabalist, 7 Shaman - Mobility

61 Defiler, 10 Shaman, 5 Purifier - Survivability

Masteries:
    Level 61 - Avenging Shield
    Level 62 - Divine Inspiration
    Level 63 - Faith's Freedom
    Level 64 - Sinister Resolve
    Level 65 - Soul Stream

If your are going to actively heal your tanks then you should use Healing Remnant as the Level 62 mastery instead, as it will increase the healing they and you receive from every other healer and yourself.

Buffs:
    Rage Blight
    Feast of the Fallen
    Armor of Devotion

Links:
    Link of Agony
    Link of Suffering
    Link of Misery
    Link of Distress

Starting Rotation:
    Siphon Vitality > Sanction Heretic > Marrow Harvest > Soul Stream
    Pain Transmission > Somatic Desecration macro

Standard Rotation:
    Before combat apply Bond of Pain & Bond of Torment to the enemy.
    Also apply Chimera's Gift & Husk of Indifference to yourself.

Cast Beacon of Despair at the enemy's location, if they aren't going to be moved.

Keep Bond of Pain and Siphon Vitality active on the enemy.
    As well as Pain Transmission and Soul Stream on cooldown.
    For max damage from Pain Transmission be in melee range of enemy.

For AoE have Marrow Harvest, Siphon Vitality and Bond of Pain active on a target and use Unholy Nexus.
    Keep Pain Transmission and Unholy Nexus on cooldown, and just continue with the normal rotation.

Keep Husk of Indifference active by either refreshing Siphon Vitality or use Hideous Reconstruction.
    Reapply Chimera's Gift whenever if expires.

Healing Rotation: - Optional
    Keep Hideous Reconstruction active on the main Tank and any off Tank.

Use the Ghastly Restoration macro when a Tank losses 30% health, while you have 3 stacks of Foul Growths on them.

Use Unstable Transformation on a Tank if they lose 70% health or the next attack is going to kill the Tank.

If your incoming damage is too much use Bond of Torment and cancel Beacon of Despair, if active.
    If that is not enough switch to the Grief Blight buff and heal yourself.

Abilities you need to know about:
    Spoiler!

Macros:
    #show Somatic Desecration
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Sanction Heretic
    cast Marrow Harvest
    cast Somatic Desecration
    cast Siphon Vitality

#show Hideous Reconstruction
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @mouseoverui Hideous Reconstruction

#show Ghastly Restoration
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @mouseoverui Ghastly Restoration
    cast @mouseoverui Loathsome Restoration

#show Unstable Transformation
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @mouseoverui Unstable Transformation

#show Summon Beacon of Despair
    suppressmacrofailures
    cancelbuff Summon Beacon of Despair

#show Jealous Intervention
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @mouseoverui Jealous Intervention
    cast @group01 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group02 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group03 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group04 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group05 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group06 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group07 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group08 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group09 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group10 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group11 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group12 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group13 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group14 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group15 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group16 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group17 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group18 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group19 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group20 Jealous Intervention

Karuulalert:
    Code:
    KA::ANCmreNrFlFFvmzAUhf8Kb1tfUgwGJ/KTAXvrS1Ul2Z4iWQ6YxBqFCDuTIvXH95osG8p4WNp
    K0wXJmOPj++lgVuaw79rgu3GqMe5EY7qmh0addD9zqt9pRxHMCLhXV0omCsF5HBGyIAnjOKMoAbG
    ACqGWpna0UE7db749bNTW+EXSlF1rN5WuTaN7aQdL+fOXpVSzqrKUgA8hIU2HC80ib0tz/rjmSz9
    CQ8Uh9LS+TEf+KYWtIypevppKd0cbLLXfzfXH0hno/LPoyqO9G4BqP/yNNr0ACAXPYpRkC44Fxjw
    FrNsAd3tlXXOSvbau65V3ldsBco7fAQlNvGRdWwVdHay7/lm355img7tWMpHxnOUck2LBGRfhzVh
    bcJRdLd3ZcQBKk5CSEH98aivd1HcjvP+Z2vBpvhUyHKX2pEz7D5ENMjhoSR6LBIlYFCwtsN/gbYE
    dwE+W5Z/A3nXMjvaHb/KhrUxd6163pYYXo5zEUJM6JlhKUIFjzgEqJPPbofbg66HMyPfyC5lPsOW
    Q6jSfuEzH46zyvXnWvfpkgy++G/Q32ZUCDla0SAVDBKekKBi6+csrz4ZW7kAs9YexvAJeHtPn
    Last edited by Burninalways; 01-14-2015 at 04:36 AM.
    True Server First Prime GP: Anrak the Foul & Guurloth
    4/5 GSB
    4/4 GP
    4/4 DH

Placeholder
    True Server First Prime GP: Anrak the Foul & Guurloth
    4/5 GSB
    4/4 GP
    4/4 DH

Question on the Masteries you've selected for L62 and L65.

The Range increase will not stack with Pursuit of Justice. So we only get the +5% to healing, the +5% to absorption would only apply to Husk and well that is not needed if your doing proper rotation.
    Now as a Defiler next to DPS your main objective is to lesson the burden of the Main Healer, Pop UT when needed and hopefully only cast directs heals in an emergency.

Wouldn't Healing Remnant be more effective for these goals, and allow you to apply more focus to DPS? Fowl Growth being a Hot should maintain almost 100% up time of 2 stacks on the Tank, indirectly buffing all the heals from the Main Healer by 3%. Meaning you have to cast those back up heals less.

Healing Remnant
    * Healing over time and absorb abilities apply a stack of Healing Remnant to the ally, increasing healing received by 1.5% per stack. Max 2 stacks. Last 15s.
    * Shield of Oak and Glacial Shield reapply themselves if they are consumed within 5s of their initial application.

Level 65 - Soul Stream

Definitely the best choice for DPS and Direct emergency healing.

Would not Divine Favor, also be good option here if there is a lot of group wide Damage? I know from use it Procs off both Fowl Growth procs and Siphon Vitality casts, providing a fairly steady stream of free heals. (currently this my fav for PUG experts that end up needing a Defiler) You do take a hit on DPS tho unfortunately, but it is there as an option.

On a side note there is no reason to cast Husk of Indifference before the fight, you are starting your rotation with Siphon Vit which applies it. I prefer to start my Rotation with Explosive Growth, which also applies Husk, and pops 3x FG on the Tank at the same time. If your using Cast on Target of target, you can do this as soon as Tank pulls w/o having to change targets at all. It makes me fell all safe and cozy keeping 3x FG on Tank at all times, this way I know when I hit that emergency Heal it is going to be Big.

I'm going to have to try that Inq/Shaman build tho, I am still using the Inq/Sent build.

Plane Touched

You should cast Marrow Harvest on the boss before you do anything else. If you want to precast it, that's fine as long as the boss pulls in 6s. Not to do so is a small waste of raid dps due to 5% nonphysical damage increase. Considering some wipes happen at 1%, why not maximize raid dps? Not only that, it'll make your opening sanction heretic hit harder.
    Thetoxicwaltz@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by Eilauria View Post
    Question on the Masteries you've selected for L62 and L65.

The Range increase will not stack with Pursuit of Justice. So we only get the +5% to healing, the +5% to absorption would only apply to Husk and well that is not needed if your doing proper rotation.
    Now as a Defiler next to DPS your main objective is to lesson the burden of the Main Healer, Pop UT when needed and hopefully only cast directs heals in an emergency.

Wouldn't Healing Remnant be more effective for these goals, and allow you to apply more focus to DPS? Fowl Growth being a Hot should maintain almost 100% up time of 2 stacks on the Tank, indirectly buffing all the heals from the Main Healer by 3%. Meaning you have to cast those back up heals less.

Level 65 - Soul Stream

Definitely the best choice for DPS and Direct emergency healing.

Would not Divine Favor, also be good option here if there is a lot of group wide Damage? I know from use it Procs off both Fowl Growth procs and Siphon Vitality casts, providing a fairly steady stream of free heals. (currently this my fav for PUG experts that end up needing a Defiler) You do take a hit on DPS tho unfortunately, but it is there as an option.

On a side note there is no reason to cast Husk of Indifference before the fight, you are starting your rotation with Siphon Vit which applies it. I prefer to start my Rotation with Explosive Growth, which also applies Husk, and pops 3x FG on the Tank at the same time. If your using Cast on Target of target, you can do this as soon as Tank pulls w/o having to change targets at all. It makes me fell all safe and cozy keeping 3x FG on Tank at all times, this way I know when I hit that emergency Heal it is going to be Big.

I'm going to have to try that Inq/Shaman build tho, I am still using the Inq/Sent build.
    Divine Inspiration doesn't proc from applying Foul Growth from Rampant Growth, nor from Rampant Growth, nor from detonating Foul Growth Stacks. The only way to keep it up on a target as defiler is via Hideous Reconstruction. You do keep it up on yourself everytime you proc Husk of Indifference, but for that you might aswel pick Divine Inspiration, which lets you drop Pursuit of Truth.

Divine Favor is a nice mastery to get in a group, but probably in a raid environment another cleric healer will make beter use of it.

@guide:
    As for the spec, I still use 10cab/5inq, Curse of Discord and Dark Water are too strong with the 20% bonus damage from defiler to drop in my opinion.

Husk of Indiferrence should never be casted, but always procced: for the same manacost, you can proc it before pull with Hideous Reconstruction for example. As someone mentioned earlier, Siphon Vitality will proc it aswel, meaning you usally don't have to manage it.
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria
    World First 5-man Easy Mode 1/4 GP

Telaran

As previously mentioned, the 10cab/5inquis is pretty amazing with curse of discord and Dark Water. The damage difference between initial Dark water hit and Somatic Desecration isnt too far off so I decided to make it a completely mobile build by getting the level 64 Mastery "Faith's Reward" which apply a stacking buff to you that reduces the cast time of next cast time spell as well as getting punishing strike level 65 mastery. With changing somatic to dark water in your macro and using these masteries, the build now becomes a completely 100% mobile spec that never needs to stop to cast. This and it allows you to make sure Darkness is always up since dark water is your main spam macro.

I realize if you are completely min maxxing that this is not as viable, but the dps difference between the level 64 sinisters resolve and using somatic instead of dark water while just keeping stacks of darkness isnt ground breaking. The dps from this spec with the above changes is pretty decent in raids, with a slight loss to your heal abilities. Luckily the defiler is an "in case" healer and should really not be focusing on it. Their main reasoning for being there is UT and links with occasional spot healing but with the huge dps checks on a lot of these fights, extra dps is a little more preferred over the heals.

You would also be better off changing your #show ability to Marrow Harvest unless you completely monitor it through kalerts or a secondary button on your hotbar. Putting this as your #show will allow you to time the use of it with unholy nexus for maximum spreads for super number padding on fights like Bulf with all the adds up, or actually utilizing it on Ungolok when you pull an add/get sharknado'ed.
    Last edited by Biomed; 12-03-2014 at 07:34 AM.

Soulwalker

Thanks Burningalways for the guide!!

Any insight on using Defiler for healing NEDs? What about the defiler/warden spec?

Soulwalker

Having a blast using my defiler spec to heal NEDs. 61 defiler/ 6 sentinel / 9 oracle. Only downside using defiler if when cleanse is required re: 3rd boss in Return to Iron Tomb.

Buffs
    Healer's Blessing: add a healing proc on all direct heals
    Heroic Resolve: Endurance boost
    Boon of Vitality: Endurance boost
    Inspiration of Survival: Shield proc on insignia cast (Wasting Insignia)
    Inspiration of Battle: Attack power, spell power and crit boost proc on insignia cast (Wasting Insignia)

Adding Marrow Harvest (for Tenebrious Distortion debuff) and Wasting Insignia (for both inspiration buffs) to the healing rotation helps on the overall group dps.

Healing rotation is really simple. Pre-cast Explosive Growth and Hideous Reconstruction before pull, then alternate the Ghastly Restoration macro and Explosive Growth. Unstable Transformation whenever tank drops below 40%.

Adding links and Grief Blight make the whole thing much easier.

Rift Disciple

I think I've read in another defiler guide that Marrow Harvest's main component is the 30secs debuff, they said the damage from Marrow Harvest isnt really worth it and it should only really be recasted to keep up the 30secs debuff. Is that correct? In that case macro'ing it in the main spam macro shouldnt be a good idea right? I put it into a macro before Bond of Pain since both of them have a 30secs duration. I track both of them with kalerts. Is that okay or is there any problem I didnt consider? I'm still pretty new to defiler so I appreciate any help.

I tried both the OP's spec and the 10 cab/5 inq spec (using DW as my primary spam skill instead of SD though) and I was doing better dmg in the second spec but I'm not sure if I got it right. Do I keep up all the dots at all times? Is Syphon Vitality worth keeping up at all times (other than for refreshing Husk)? So I'd keep Soul Stream and Pain Transmission on cooldown and Bond of Pain, Vex, Curse of Discord, Dark Waterx3, Syphon Vitality and the debuff from Marrow Harvest up at all times? And when I'm free I spam Somatic Desecration (or DW in my case atm)?
    Alaysa@Gelidra
    Laysa@Gelidra

www.eternal-dawn.net @Gelidra [EU]

Marrow harvest deals more damage than somatic so its worth using every 6s provided all your DoT's are up.

Basically you want to work on a priority rotation, so if pain transmission is available cast it, if not then refresh any dots that have dropped off SV, Vex and Curse of Discord, refresh Bond of pain every 30s, make sure to clip the dot on darkwater to make sure it doesn't drop off.

Max DPS is reached when you minimise the number of somatics that you need to cast, so if you can work it out so that you fit marrow harvests inbetween DoT refreshes / pain transmission as much as possible you'l be in a good place. To this I will generally space out my 3 main DoT's in my opening rotation so that there is a GCD inbetween each one when it comes to refreshing them, this creates the opportunity to work in more MH's and less SD's.

So I open up with something like -

BoP + MH pre pull, Beacon as you run in to position.

Pain Transmission > DW > SV > DW > Vex > DW > CoD > MH > Soul Stream
    PT > MH > SV > SD > DW > Vex > MH > CoD --> keep it rolling with minimal SD's.
    Last edited by usman; 12-16-2014 at 07:58 AM.
    Ambi - Cleric - Apotheosys.

I gotta be honest here, I haven't cast sd in defiler for years. If I'm not using those extra moments to heal when not putting up dots I'll just frickin cast dw instead.

Rift Disciple

Oh gawd I feel so rude lol I meant to say thanks for the detailed explanation and rotation suggestion, Ambi. Thanks! I've been practising a bit since then and noticed an increase in dps. =D Even though I still mess up a lot.

On a sidenote, someone mentioned to me ingame that the lvl 65 mastery Punishing Strike (that's the name iirc) is a dps increase compared to Soul Stream as it's a 8sec CD with ~20-25k dmg (for me atm) vs. Soul Stream on a 1min CD doing ~70-75k dmg (iirc). I've tried it out but since I still mess up the rotation so much I couldnt clearly see a dps increase but it would make sense just judging from the numbers. I also noticed it lines up so much better with the rest of my (messy) rotation (I can fit it in between the dots pretty well) so I think I'll drop Soul Stream for Punishing Strike.
    Has anyone seen a notable dps increase with Punishing Strike?

Also, does anyone know what dps I'm supposed to do in a 10man raid with expert gears? I'm probably lower than I should be but I'm not sure how bad it really is lol
    Alaysa@Gelidra
    Laysa@Gelidra

www.eternal-dawn.net @Gelidra [EU]

Default what synergy crystal?

What synergy crystal to use?
    Eldritch for DPS?
    Mystic for heal?
    Tiarna <Sanctum Guardians>
    1/5MS 4/4RoF

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Reila View Post
    Also, does anyone know what dps I'm supposed to do in a 10man raid with expert gears? I'm probably lower than I should be but I'm not sure how bad it really is lol
    Using Dark Water spec and thanks to the rotation advice from usman, I did 20k+ dps on my first real attempt as defiler on Ungolok yesterday (as comparison, I did 40-45k dps as inquisitor when I wanted to test my dps).
    I did have 2 raid gear pieces(gloves and shoulders) from the boxes but expert otherwise. I focused on dps'ing and didn't bother with healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Reila View Post
    On a sidenote, someone mentioned to me ingame that the lvl 65 mastery Punishing Strike (that's the name iirc) is a dps increase compared to Soul Stream as it's a 8sec CD with ~20-25k dmg (for me atm) vs. Soul Stream on a 1min CD doing ~70-75k dmg (iirc). I've tried it out but since I still mess up the rotation so much I couldnt clearly see a dps increase but it would make sense just judging from the numbers. I also noticed it lines up so much better with the rest of my (messy) rotation (I can fit it in between the dots pretty well) so I think I'll drop Soul Stream for Punishing Strike.
    Has anyone seen a notable dps increase with Punishing Strike?
    I'm really not sure about Punishing Strike.

I'll try to compare the two in this post.
    Let's say everytime we use Punishing Strike is instead of a Somatic Desecration (ideal).
    According to my tooltips, that's 5353-5917 more damage every 8 seconds, which means at most a 739dps gain.
    Now let's say Soul Stream replaces two Somatic Desecrations per minute, that's on average 772dps gain.

Just the tooltip say it's around the same upgrade. Now, you can also take into account these facts:
    -Soul Stream damage type is Ethereal, which means it is not affected by your target resistances (but won't benefit from archon debuffs), while Punishing Strike is physical. Normally it means the dps gain is higher than the numbers I wrote.
    -For super pro player, Soul Stream can also be used defensively to save a tank from Death if no other solutions are available
    -Soul Stream can be fully lined up with raid cooldowns, Punishing Strike can only have a couple of instances lined up, which further increases the difference between the two.
    -Soul Stream can also be lined up with damage increase mechanics (Hello Threngar's condemn) for massive damage.

All of this makes me think Soul Stream is superior to Punishing Strike.
    However, it means you have to think about it, while Punishing Strike can be macro'd and forgotten about.
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria
    World First 5-man Easy Mode 1/4 GP

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast