+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Draus's Cleric Tank Guide

Soulwalker

Default Draus's Cleric Tank Guide

This guide is for Justicar Cleric Tanking. Justicar is the only tank soul cleric's have. This is the first guide I wrote (Draus) all other guides I have posted are guides I have found useful to help me learn along the way.

Rules:

To begin cleric tanking is easy if you follow the basic rules of tanking.

Rule 1. Manage your threat accordingly. Rule 3 will help you with this as well.

Rule 2. Use your cooldowns properly. Cleric tanks have a bunch of cooldowns at their disposal. Know the right time to use them.

Rule 3. Know the fights. It is you job to make sure you know to turn the boss away from the group or to have everyone stack on you or any other mechanics.

The Build:

61 points in Justicar

9 points in Shaman - 4 points Dauntless Courage, 4 points Thick Skinned, and 1 point Courage of the bear.

6 points in Inquisitor - 5 points in Planar Study and 1 point Armor of Treachery.

There could be other builds out there that work. It is all about finding what works for you. Most of the other builds are the same 3 souls with minor changes in where the points are placed in the shaman and inquisitor souls.

Masteries:

Level 61 - Avenging Shield

Level 62 - Divine Inspiration

Level 63 - Swift Judgment

Level 64 - Diversify

Level 65 - Soul Stream

Buffs:

Mien of leadership -Enables guard. Increases base health,armor, and resistance by 35%. Increases threat generation by 400%. Reduces damage done, healing done, and absorption granted with non-justicar abilities by 40%.

Courage of the bear (shaman buff) - Increase base health by 5%. Last 1h

Armor of treachery (inquisitor buff) - Increases armor by 3% and base health by 3%. Lasts 1h.

Vengeance of the Winter Storm (shaman buff) - Causes weapon attacks to deal an additional 200 to 221 water damage. Lasts 1h.

Righteous Mandate - Causes the Cleric's Salvation to heal the ally as well. Can only affect 1 ally. Lasts 1h. This buff should be applied to the healer of the group or tank healer.

Cooldowns:

This section is a list of the justicar cooldowns and what situations would better suit using that cooldown.

Absolution - Cooldown 5 minutes - Brings the fallen ally back to life, restoring 100% health and 50% mana. Usable in combat. --- Typically I would utilize this when the healer has died. The healer, most of the time has a similar spell to utilize on a fallen dps.

Total Assurance - Cooldown 1 minute - Grants 7 convictions. Increases damage and healing od the next 2 conviction consuming abilities by 50%.Lasts 30s. --- Typically used to boost your initial dps or to spot heal with your Doctrine of Bliss(though I would not do this). This is one cooldown I use at my own needs so you should decide when and where is the right time you should use it for yourself.

Rebuke - Cooldown 1 minute - Pulls up to 5 enemies to the cleric, forcing them to attack the cleric for 3s. ---- This is best used to pull ranged enemies to the cleric to group up for aoe and to manage your threat.

Reprieve - Cooldown 1 minute - Restores 100% of the cleric's health and 50% of the cleric's maximum health to the target of the clerics Righteous Mandate. --- Best used if you are about to die or are really low on health. Also can be used to make sure the healer does not die if you buffed the healer with Righteous Mandate.

Just Defense - Cooldown 1 minute - Absorbs damage equal to 50% of the cleric's maximum health. Lasts 10s.--- Best used if your Reprieve is on cooldown or your ally buffed with Righteous Mandate does not to be healed. Can save reprieve for the right time.

Intercede - Cooldown 30s - Shields the ally, intercepting 50% of the damage they receive, and replacing the ally's guard with the cleric's, for 6s. The guard replacement will only occur on allies who do not currently have guard enabled. An ally can oly be affected by a tank soul damage intercept up to once every 2 minutes. --- Best used on the healer to help mitigate aoe damage they may take soon. Or can be used to make sure they have time to heal themselves up during time of increased damage. Be mindful you may only use it on the ally once every 2 minutes.

Doctrine of Glory - cooldown 30s - Consumes all convictions. Reduces damage taken by 2.86% per conviction consumed. Lasts 4s. ---- Bested used before you would take a large hit and with all 7 of your convictions.

Resplendent Embrace - Cooldown 2 minutes - Increases Maximum health by 20%. Increases healing received by 50%. Lasts 10s. --- Best used to keep you alive after a large hit if you have been reduced to 20-25%.

Attack Abilities:

Percept of Refuge - Cooldown 5s. - Deals 5062 to 5595 life damage. Increases the cleric's block by 5% for 8s. Requires a shield. --- Should keep this up at all times.

Strike of Retribution - Cooldown 6s. - Deals 2591 to 2864 life damage. Must be used after the Cleric has blocked. --- Best used whenever it procs and is able to be used.

Doctrine of Authority - Cooldown 15s - Deals 14290 to 15794 life damage. Restores 1112 to 1229 health to up to 5 party or raid members. Removes 1 conviction. --- Best used on cooldown, even though the healing is minimal, it produces threat.

Bolt of Radiance - Cooldown 8s. - Deals 8486 to 9379 life damage. --- Can be used whenever not on cooldown, if you choose to.

Reckoning - No cooldown - Deals 7074 to 7819 life damage. Increases movement speed by 15% for 10s. --- This is your primary spam ability.

Hammer of Duty - No cooldown - Consumes all convictions. Deals 2258 to 2496 life damage for each conviction. --- Used once you have 7 convictions up.

Censure - No Cooldown - Deals 9096 life damage over 15s, and reduces the Hit chance of the enemy by 5%. Spreads to up to 10 enemies if hit by the cleric's Hammer of Faith. --- Best used when the target does not have the debuff up.

Even Justice - No Cooldown - Deals 2591 to 2864 life damage to up to 10 enemies within 7m of the cleric. --- Primary spam when dealing with multiple enemies.

Hammer of Faith - No Cooldown - Consumes all convictions. Deals 1354 to 1497 life damage for each conviction to the enemy and up to 10 additional enemies. --- Use once you have 7 convictions and are facing multiple enemies.

Interdict - Cooldown 10s. - Interrupts the enemy and nearby enemies. --- Your interrupt use it when you need to.

Provoke - Cooldown 8s. - Forces the enemy to attack the cleric for 3s. --- Used when you need to get an enemy to attack you instead of another ally.

Righteous Imperative - Cooldown 20s - Forces up to 10 nearby enemies to attack the cleric for 3s. --- Used when you need to grab threat on multiple enemies, great at the beginning of a fight with many enemies.

Primary Rotations:

For single target or boss fights - pull with Hammer of Duty>Percept of Refuge>Censure>Reckoning until 7 convictions> Hammer of Duty. Use Retaliation on procs. Keep up Percept of refuge at all times and censure when the debuff falls off the target. You can use Doctrine of Authority anywhere you want, however it is not necessary.

For AoE - Pull with Rebuke to group them all up infront of you>percept of refuge>censure>Hammer of Faith> Even Justice until 7 convictions>Hammer of Faith. Keep percept of refuge up at all times and censure as well.

These are just basic rotations you can alter to fit you playstyle.

Macros:

Even Justice (AoE) Spam macro

#show Even Justice
    Suppressmacrofailures
    cast Even Justice
    cast precept of refuge
    cast Strike of Retribution

Single target spam Macro

#show precept of refuge
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast precept of refuge
    cast bolt of radiance
    cast reckoning
    cast strike of retribution

This is another Single target macro with Doctrine of Authority

#show Precept of Refuge
    Suppressmacrofailures
    cast precept of refuge
    cast Doctrine of Authority
    cast Bolt of Radiance
    cast Reckoning

Final note. As I have stated by all means is this THE GUIDE, but more of a reference. Yoou should find something that works best for you. ENJOY THE GAME the way YOU WANT THE GAME TO BE.

A few observations, suggestions, and opinions. As there are many Tanking guides there are many perspectives as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Trepetron View Post
    Rule 1. Manage your threat accordingly. Rule 3 will help you with this as well.
    Rules 2 & 3 I agree with 100%. Just a comment on Rule 1. After the initial Pull threat is nearly a non factor in Rift Tanking, unless severely out geared by DPS. So you have lots of time to manage Positioning, Interrupts, and CD's.

61 points in Justicar

9 points in Shaman - 4 points Dauntless Courage, 4 points Thick Skinned, and 1 point Courage of the bear.

6 points in Inquisitor - 5 points in Planar Study and 1 point Armor of Treachery.
    Your a Tank as such Mitigation is the most important 1% isn't a lot but its still a Mitigation loss.

6 Shaman - 5/5 Thick Skinned, 1/1 Courage of the bear.
    6 Inquisitor - 5/5 Planar Study and 1/1 Armor of Treachery.
    Three excess points can go where you like, some like more range from Pursuit of Justice, some like more damage talents.

Masteries:

Level 61 - Avenging Shield

Level 63 - Swift Judgment

Level 64 - Diversify

Level 65 - Soul Stream

Buffs:
    There is a lot of wiggle room with Mastery's, and in the end non of them really make a huge difference, so can only say what I prefer.
    Level 61 - Righteous Protection
    Level 63 - Faith's Freedom
    Level 64 - Diversify
    Level 65 - Soul Stream

For single target or boss fights - pull with Hammer of Duty>Percept of Refuge>Censure>Reckoning until 7 convictions> Hammer of Duty. Use Retaliation on procs. Keep up Percept of refuge at all times and censure when the debuff falls off the target. You can use Doctrine of Authority anywhere you want, however it is not necessary.
    Again the Pull is the most critical time in regard to Threat. Its not always needed but I like to pull with a Double Hammer. Hammer (HoD)>Total Assurance>Hammer(HoD) leaves no doubt about threat.
    Or Hammer (HoD)>Censure>Total Assurance>Hammer(HoD)

For AoE - Pull with Rebuke to group them all up infront of you>percept of refuge>censure>Hammer of Faith> Even Justice until 7 convictions>Hammer of Faith. Keep percept of refuge up at all times and censure as well.
    I cry just little bit every time I see any Tank Pull with a Taunt. Only reason to Ever pull with Rebuke is for Positioning reason's, for one example if there is a close secondary group that may be pulled during fight or a Ranged mob and you just don't feel like running to it..:L
    You don't really need to spam Even Justice, HoF every 7 Convictions and 1 Even justice will hold Threat even against Stormcallers and Cab's. Again Double Hammer (HoF), ST Macro, HoF, Even Justice back to ST macro
    Or Hammer (HoF)>Censure>Total Assurance>Hammer(HoF)

#show Even Justice
    Suppressmacrofailures
    cast Even Justice
    cast precept of refuge
    Precept of Refuge will never go off in this macro, both it and Even Justice are instant cast and on the GCD. But its not really needed.

This is another Single target macro with Doctrine of Authority

#show Precept of Refuge
    Suppressmacrofailures
    cast precept of refuge
    cast Bolt of Radiance
    cast Reckoning
    Might as well use the Doctrine of Authority macro, generally its more threat then Reckoning and the tiny extra heal is nice, but always put Retribution at the end, since it is off GCD it will always trigger between the other spells

#show precept of refuge
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast precept of refuge
    cast bolt of radiance
    cast reckoning
    cast strike of retribution

Plane Touched

Just as an extra - Resplendant embrace - because this increases your maximum health it is often best used immediately before taking heavy damage, in conjucntion with Just Defence. This increases both your health and your effective health significantly.
    You are entitled to a vomit bag, if you do not have one, one will be provided for you. We're strapped for cash so it may be used, barf carefully!

Councillor Thunrar@Zaviel Keeper of the Dead <Servants of None>
    Guild Motto: Why did that happen? Because **** you that's why!

Quote Originally Posted by Eilauria View Post

There is a lot of wiggle room with Mastery's, and in the end non of them really make a huge difference, so can only say what I prefer.
    Level 61 - Righteous Protection
    Not sure I'm sold on this one. I didn't look at block mitigation, but let's face it...if it isn't endurance or guard right now, it's pretty worthless. That being said, the 5% increase in guard equates to about .25-.5% damage mitigation (according to my tool tip).

Based on this, if you take a hit which would normally do 50k, the 5% guard (at the high end of .5% damage reduction) would equate to 250 damage reduction. Compare this to 125k health with a 3% shield, and the same hit would have 3750 damage absorbed.

Again, with the additional 5% block, I'm not sure what that would really equate to, but I don't think it'll come close to another 3500 damage reduction.
    www.riftraidguides.com

Llokii@greybriar | Llokia@greybriar
    <The Dawntreaders>

Quote Originally Posted by Llokii View Post
    Not sure I'm sold on this one. I didn't look at block mitigation, but let's face it...if it isn't endurance or guard right now, it's pretty worthless. That being said, the 5% increase in guard equates to about .25-.5% damage mitigation (according to my tool tip).

Based on this, if you take a hit which would normally do 50k, the 5% guard (at the high end of .5% damage reduction) would equate to 250 damage reduction. Compare this to 125k health with a 3% shield, and the same hit would have 3750 damage absorbed.

Again, with the additional 5% block, I'm not sure what that would really equate to, but I don't think it'll come close to another 3500 damage reduction.
    The thing is, you can't count on having the absorb shield up when you need it, since you have no control over when it procs. If the boss is using Lightning Breath or whatever, there's a very high chance that the shield has already procced and been consumed prior to that, and the healers were just overhealing you in the meantime. By contrast, Guard would help you in that situation.

Righteous Protection is better for the worst-case scenario, and by definition, that's when you need help the most.

Avenging Shield
    * Critical hits with damaging and healing abilities apply an absorbing shield to you, absorbing damage up to 3% of your Maximum Health. Can occur up to once every 6s.
    * Echoes of Altruism, if points have been spent in it, is now applied by all single target heals

To add to what Muspel commented. The +5% Block Mitigation is not part of your block chance but how much damage reduction happens on a successful Block, for Clerics this is 39% damage reduction on block total, with out the mastery we only get 34%.

There is no CD on Block.
    Pay close attn to "Can occur up to once every 6s."

Say your Tanking a group of trash mobs. If the rng Gods are with you, and you Crit you absorb 3500 dmg every 6 seconds in your example.

Is that better then .5% of all the damage taken from the group by you and any melee, in additional to another 5% reduction in damage every time you successfully block?

Fia

I like Vicar's Bulwark better than Soulstream, as it is off GCD. But I guess it's a matter of preference.
    Fiia@Typhiria | Asthea@Hailol
    Cleric-Heal/Tank/DD | Lvl70

Now with new Prime Content! -> http://youtube.com/astheatv

Soulwalker

Default Reply

I agree that the toss up with the absorb vs the Block and guard is iffy and can be personal choices after reading the comments and such, I have tested going with both and I agree Avenging shield (absorb) is not as great as the block and guard for most times. The shield is nice but with the spike damage its not always active. I believe Muspel pointed this out as well.

Soulwalker

Default Macro

As for the macro I put the guide on my guild's forums and it was copied here by the guild leader. I had went through and fixed the macros on the guild post but couldn't edit this post.

Precept of refuge goes before even justice.

Apologies for late replies.

> Use Retaliation on procs.

Is this supposed to be Strike of Retribution?
    Last edited by forbiddenlake; 01-04-2015 at 05:29 PM.

+ Reply to Thread