Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By thePally
  • 1 Post By Fia
  • 1 Post By 7A65726F

Thread: [3.0] How to Train Your Druid

Default [3.0] How to Train Your Druid

Working title for this build: The Druid Knight Rises
    Last updated: 8/19/2014

I apologize if this guide is long. I'm terrible at formatting anything that's not a disk drive.

I've been theorycrafting builds for 3.0 for a while now and this one is my favorite so far. There's a lot of information here, including some maths. So check out the soul tree links and then skip down to the lined break entitled Main Section. Feedback is appreciated! Let me know if you enjoyed or hated it or had no significant reactions whatsoever, and thanks for reading!

Since there's not a soul tree generator that lets you plan 81 points, the soul trees for this build is split into two links:

Primary build:
    Druid soul: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#l/DkGBiBhlkl8/r
    Shaman and Justicar souls: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#l8s/D/r8J

Alternate build with variant points in Shaman/Justicar:
    Shaman and Justicar souls:http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#l8g/D/r8w

On the points in Justicar:
    Armor of Virtue is mandatory, as is Reparation. That's 10 points. You already gain a lot of Conviction passively, so I don't think 2 points is really necessary. Stalwart Citadel is a no because you're not tanking - same with Precept of Refuge, Mien of Leadership, Shield of Faith, and Healer's Creed. Doctrine of Bliss is a self-heal, but it isn't a game-changer. Salvation will heal you for most of what Bliss will, and it's only a self-heal so it's not very useful in this case. The best choices here are Stronghold, Moment of Truth, and Reparation. Any of those works, I went with Stronghold and Reparation for the bonus HP it gives you and your pet, plus an increase in Salvation healing.

On putting points in Justicar over points in Shaman (with regards to the primary and alternate builds):
    With 61 points in Druid, and 5 each in Justicar and Shaman, your abilities are doing (base damage + 73.5%), with +9% chance to crit. Both builds have this many points in those trees. Let's sample what happens when we place the other 10 points:

(Main build)
    Code:
    (+3 Shaman, +7 Justicar)
    +6.5% Damage Done
    +3% Critical Hit Chance
    +7% Armor
    +14% Resistances
    +10.5% Endurance
    +15% Healing with Salvation from Justicar Abilities
    [Provoke], [Massive Blow], [Righteous Mandate]
    (Alt build)
    Code:
    (+5 Shaman, +5 Justicar)
    +7.5% Damage done
    +5% Critical Hit Chance
    +5% Armor
    +10% Resistances
    +7.5% Endurance
    +10% Healing with Salvation from Justicar Abilities
    [Provoke], [Massive Blow]
    [Math section]
    Code:
    (in terms of average damage done based on 100 or 100% base damage)
    Alt Dmg over Main:(100+66+7.5)/(100+66+6.5)= +0.580%
    61 Druid * 9% crit:173.47
    Main build * crit:182.85
    Alt build * crit:185.645
    Difference with crit:(185.645/182.85)=1.01528
    Conclusion: Ignoring abilities gained from the last ten points, the difference in total bonus to damage done is barely half a percent, excluding the +2% Crit in the alternate build (which brings the average dps change up to 1.528% - only assuming you had only 9% crit to begin with; if you had more, this dps increase will be less than 1.5%). The additional target or doubling up of a target for Salvation is too good to pass up along with that slight extra tankiness.

**Passive Bonuses**

61 Druid:
    Code:
    +66% Damage Done
    +10% Physical Damage Done
    +9% Non Physical Damage Done
    +6% Spell Power
    +203% Pet Damage Done
    +10% Pet Physical Damage Done
    +9% Pet Non Physical Damage Done
    +6% Pet Spell Power
    +274% Pet Healing Done
    +10% Wisdom
    -5% Pet Damage Taken
    +10% Damage Done with Instant Cast Abilities
    +9% Spell Critical Chance
    12 Justicar:
    Code:
    +6% Damage
    +12% Armor
    +24% Resistances
    +18% Endurance
    +10% Wisdom
    +10% Healing Done with Salvation
    +5 Additional Targets Healed with Salvation
    8 Shaman:
    Code:
    +8% Damage
    +10% Spell Power
    +3% Critical Chance

---------------------------Main Section----------------------------

**Buffs**
    • Vengeance of the Winter Storm (Shaman 0) - Attacks do additional damage on hit
    • Fury of the Fae (Druid 28) - Increases you and your pet's Attack Power and Spell Power
    • Aid of the Forest (Druid 36) - Your pet's damage/healing spells heal both of you for a % of your Spell Power
    • Subtlety (Druid 58) - You and your pet ignore a % of the enemy's armor and resistances
    • Righteous Mandate (Justicar 12) - Mark a target to be healed by your Salvation in addition to you

Macros
    Note: When using interrupts/emergency abilties, make sure you have something go off in chat so your allies know what you're doing. Communication is key to victory.

Code:
    Single Target DPS
    #show Fervent Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Shield of Oak
    cast Fae Mimicry
    cast Essence Strike
    cast Combined Effort
    cast Resounding Blow
    cast Massive Blow
    cast Strike of Judgment
    cast Bolt of Radiance
    cast Trickster's Bolt
    AoE DPS
    Code:
    #show Even Justice
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast [notactive] Spirit of Upheaval
    cast Even Justice
    Interrupt
    Code:
    #show Notion Theft
    suppressmacrofailures
    say The power of the forest compels you to stop casting that spell!
    cast Notion Theft
    Silence
    Code:
    #show Grim Silence
    suppressmacrofailures
    say You shall not cast! *pounds staff into the ground*
    cast Grim Silence
    "The Healer/Tank Died and Battle Rez is on CD"
    Code:
    #show Summon: Greater Faerie Healer
    say Summoning emergency healer! Don't give up, friends!
    cast Summon: Greater Faerie Healer
    "The Tank Died and Battle Rez is off CD"
    Code:
    #show Provoke
    yell Quickly! Raise the tank!
    cast Shield of Oak
    cast Charged Mirror
    cast Provoke
    Note: This macro relies on having attuned yourself deeply to the Air plane. If you've got it, Charged Mirror can speed you up enough to be able to drag an enemy far enough from the healer that they can revive and fortify the tank to resume combat.

Summons
    • Greater Satyr Protector (Tank Pet best used for soloing content, Satyr Stomp can pull up to 50 enemies)
    • Greater Satyr Destroyer (Single Target Pet, best used vs 1-2 enemies)
    • Greater Faerie Healer (Healing Pet, can be used to support heal a group or solo content)
    • Greater Faerie Seer (Ranged Pet, best used vs 3 or more enemies; can technically hit up to 30 enemies at once)

Build Philosophy
    Do damage while no-threat healing yourself and your party, as well as supporting with debuffs/CC. You have a LOT of self healing from Salvation and Aid of the Forest. Combined with your Justicar tree tankiness, you will be very tough, and can stay safe and alive through more than most non-tanks. You make the healer's job easy by providing constant aoe heals to the team, possibly even removing the need for a healer altogether (depending on the situation).

Step-by-step Druiding, for dummies!
    1. Pre-fight:
    2. Summon: Appropriate pet to the situation
    3. Buff: Vengeance, Subtlety, Aid, Fury, Mandate

In-fight:
    4. Debuff: Thorns of Ire -> Crushing Force -> Eruption of Life
    5. Control: Notion Theft when needed, Grim Silence when Notion Theft is on CD
    6. Adjust: Asphodel for ST, Upheaval for 2+ targets, Upheaval and Fae Dispersion for 3+ targets
    7. Refresh: Thorns of Ire and Crushing Force as needed, Peace of the Forest for mana regen
    8. Repeat: Single Target Macro or AoE Macro -> (if at 4 Conviction) Hammer of Duty

Post-fight:
    9. Loot: Need roll. You've earned it, champ.

Other notes
    • Fae Step and Ride the Lightning (if using the alternate build) are useful for getting to enemies/ out of a ground aoe quickly.
    • Peace of the Forest is not off GCD for some reason unknowable by mortals. Make sure you have mana potions with you at all times.
    • Strength of the Fae plus Salvation should mean that you can heal over any non squishy-wiping ability or dot, or at least survive until the healer can get to you.
    • You will gain Conviction from all damaging Life-based abilities (Justicar or not), consume these to cast Doctrine of Loyalty for a moderate aoe heal or to cast Hammer of Duty for a DPS increase.
    • If you look reeeeal closely at your abilties, you'll see that Fervent Strike does slightly more than Strike of Judgement. It's almost pointless to swap them out in the ST macro because of this, though you will technically gain DPS by doing so, provided you never plan on casting Hammer of Duty. Swapping these also halves the Salvation healing done to you and your teammates, so a lot of healing is sacrificed for a little damage.
    • This build is supreme for soloing. Your tank pet will be super beefy thanks to the stats he gains from Justicar tree (Pets inherit a percent of your stats! I have another mostly done guide for that I should upload later).
    Last edited by 7A65726F; 08-19-2014 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Add in update message
    How can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real?

Too late to edit, but: Since the level cap hasn't been raised yet, this build is not 100% testable. You can go 61 Druid, 15 Justicar and try out the mechanics, though you lose the crit from the Shaman Tree as well as Massive Blow. Feedback I'm looking for right now is on my theorycrafting and possible alternate builds to what I proposed here.
    Last edited by 7A65726F; 08-19-2014 at 04:27 PM.

From what I've been able to tell, new points able to be invested in the actual soul trees are not planned, but rather a separate system that builds on your Calling instead of your specific Souls.

It's common knowledge, dogs go woof, cows go moo, mmo players go "PVP IS UNBALANCED!"

Darn, really? Well, there goes the crit from my build. :P

Quote Originally Posted by 7A65726F View Post
    Also curious why you decided to not take Light makes Right(11 Justicar)

Anyway I would not suggest theory-crafting for 3.0 unless you have access to the beta. More than likely we will be using the same builds unless there is a soul revamp.
    12/12 -- 15/15 -- 9/9
    Comet Of Ankhet -- 2/4HM
    Lethaemis@Laethys 1600 Primalist

Fia

Not necessarily, let's wait and see how the new system will affect current builds.
    Fiia@Typhiria | Asthea@Hailol
    Cleric-Heal/Tank/DD | Lvl70

Now with new Prime Content! -> http://youtube.com/astheatv

Quote Originally Posted by Lethaemis View Post
    Also curious why you decided to not take Light makes Right(11 Justicar)
    I could have gone 1 point in that and only 1 in Reparation. The drop in aoe healing done wouldn't be massive. However, with the damage bonuses already in place (from 61 Druid, 12 Justicar, 8 Shaman) you are doing 189% base damage with Life-based attacks. The specific boost to Life damage is additive, not multiplicative. So, consuming 4 stacks of Conviction (the max you have with this build), your Life damage done increases to 197%, which is only a 4.232% increase in damage done. You could swap it out for more damage, true. But I personally favor the increased healing.

And yes, I know there's a good chance the soul trees will get finagled in places, but I theorycrafting not just because I want to make new builds, but because it's fun to do all these maths.

I could have gone 1 point in that and only 1 in Reparation. The drop in aoe healing done wouldn't be massive. However, with the damage bonuses already in place (from 61 Druid, 12 Justicar, 8 Shaman) you are doing 189% base damage with Life-based attacks. The specific boost to Life damage is additive, not multiplicative. So, consuming 4 stacks of Conviction (the max you have with this build), your Life damage done increases to 197%, which is only a 4.232% increase in damage done. You could swap it out for more damage, true. But I personally favor the increased healing.

And yes, I know there's a good chance the soul trees will get finagled in places, but I theorycrafting not just because I want to make new builds, but because it's fun to do all these maths.
    You are looking at the wrong talent. You have 5 points in reparations which means you heal 6 targets including yourself. This is completely useless since salvation doesn't heal pets(outside of righteous mandate), and you won't be using something like this in raids.
    12/12 -- 15/15 -- 9/9
    Comet Of Ankhet -- 2/4HM
    Lethaemis@Laethys 1600 Primalist

Plane Touched

Overall, I love 61 druid for soloing, but I would remove Fae Mimicry from the ST Macro and use it manually for multiple reasons:
    1. The damage increase that fae mimicry provides relies on the damage that your next 4 ST damage casts deal. Putting it in a macro means that, in a longer fight (e.g. a chronicle boss), you will almost certainly get some Fae Mimicry ticks on low-damage casts such as Strike of Judgment. This largely reduces the amount of damage that your Fae Mimicry deals (except for the first one).
    2. As you have specified only one ST macro, I assume you also use it for small mobs. Putting Fae Mimicry in there means that, when you hit a small mob, you trigger it, potentially wasting ticks because the mob dies after less than 4 strikes.
    3. The things I pointed out above also mean that you have no way of controlling which fight you want fae mimicry in. Take as an example the first boss in The PBB:Aftermath chronicle. If you have used your ST macro to clear away the 3 mobs on his platform (Which is faster than AOEing them, even without fae mimicry), then you will either not have mimicry available when you pull the boss, our you have to wait with pulling until it comes off CD, which (to me) is annoying.

Apart from this small thing, great post! (Although, as the people above me already said, 81 point specs are a pure construct of our fantasy, since there will not be any new points from level 60-65 (sadly))
    Last edited by Athanil; 08-22-2014 at 08:28 AM.
    Athanil@Gelidra <Harshmallows>
    -- 11/11 HK | 8/9 MoM | 4/4 CoA NM --

Another Druidicar Guide! Although I do say yours is a little more thorough then the other 4. I just see no sense in the build and didn't really like it much when I tried it. Properly played there is very little you can't solo with Seatin's Lazy Druid (Silenus) spec if its possible to solo it you can do it.

+ Reply to Thread