+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: [2.7] Cleric Tanking Guide

RIFT Guide Writer

Default [2.7] Cleric Tanking Guide

[2.7] Justicar Tanking Guide:

I wanted to write this guide to inform and help new lvl 60 players or players trying to develop tanking skills. There was quite a few changes to the Justicar in 2.7 and I felt just editing a pre 2.7 guide wasn't enough. I will not claim this is the end all be all guide or that I know everything. People have requested information about what I do as a cleric tank and why I do it so here it is.

The Build:

61 Justicar / 9 Inquisitor / 6 Shaman - This is the build I use currently. Its basically the standard of justicar builds. This is the highest HP and mitigation build, as long as you have 6 in shaman and 6 in inquisitor. The other 3 points really don't matter all that much, I choose to use them in corporal punishment. Why not have an extra 3% damage. Ive seen in some other guides people using 2 points into pursuit of truth for the extra 5m range. Id rather have the extra threat.../shrug that could just be me.

There is many other justicar builds and hybrids for purging, cleansing, double interrupts, so on and so forth. These builds sacrifice HP and mitigation for utility, but we aren't going to go into these builds.

Abilities and Buffs

Buffs:

Mien of Leadership: This is what makes you a tank. Increases Armor, End, Resists by 35% and Increases threat generation by 400%. With 2.7 it no longer generates overhealing threat.
    Courage of the Bear: Increases Endurance by 5%
    Armor of Treachery: Increases Endurance by 3% and Armor by 3%
    Vengeance of the Winter Storm: Causes additional damage. Mine is 159-176 water dmg
    Righteous Mandate: Funnels salvation heals to mandated player. This skill is now off GCD and can be placed on players in danger for additional support healing on them or a full top off with reprieve. Below i have a mouseover macro for Mandate.

Passive Buffs:

Salvation: With 2.7 this generates zero threat, which was a huge part of justicar threat. Now it is just passive healing
    Thorvin's Wrath: New in 2.7. It increases threat generated by damaging abilities based on the Cleric's Endurance
    Confidence: Now grants a Conviction every 3/6s. You now passively generate convictions. 3rd lvl of the Justicar Tree

This next tree ability has changed quite a bit and I think gets over looked by players that have played justicar previous to 2.7, its located on the 8th lvl in the justicar tree.

Divine Right: Causes Doctrine of Loyalty and Bliss to consume up to 1/2/3 additional Convictions on cast, increasing the healing by 100% for each additional Conviction. Which basically means if you hit DoL 1 time you now only have 3 convitions, and again you have 0. This change killed DoL Spam, it go bye bye, use Hammer of Faith.

Abilities:

Hammer of Duty: This generates the most threat of all your single target attacks by far. It consumes all convictions, they increased its threat multiplier from 2 to 3. Great way to pull anything single target so everyone can go nuts!
    Hammer of Faith: Hits 10 enemies with no travel time in a frontal cone aoe. It consumes all convictions. Can be very tricky to use if the group has not been agrod yet, will discuss more below. Used also to spread censure buff, we will get into more of that later. Increased threat multiplier from 2 to 4, very nice!

Side Note: Light Makes Right (3rd lvl Justicar tree): Applies a buff increasing Life damage by 2% for each Conviction consumed your Hammers.

Censure: Deals life damage over 15s, and reduces the hit chance of the enemy by 5%. Can be spread via hammer of faith. These 2 must be used together this is how we hold/gain aoe threat efficiently!!! Increased threat multiplier from 1 to 3. Which is huge btw.
    Doctrine of Loyalty: Heals up to 10 players. Can be used to assist the healers in extreme AoE damage situations. With Divine Right it will use up to 4 convictions so be careful. I'm fairly sure its smart healing so it should pick players with the lowest hp ( I could be wrong though ).
    Doctrine of Authority: Deals a hefty amount of damage, and heals 5 raid members for a small amount, consumes 1 conviction. Increased damage threat multiplier from 2 to 3. Some guides don't have this in their spam macro because of the use of Total Assurance I assume. If you pop Total Assurance your using your hammers after it, not the ST spam macro...derka.
    Reckoning: Ranged attack, increased run speed by 15% for 10seconds. Not sure if it was intended for this skill to replace Strike of Judgment but it did 100% until further notice.
    Precept of Refuge: 5% block increase. Damage increase also with 2.7
    Even Justice: Now a 360 cleave, hits 10 enemies. This is not a very good threat builder at all, used to maintain threat while convictions are rebuilding.
    Total Assurance: Grants 7 Convictions, Increases the healing and damage of the next 2 conviction consuming abilities by 50%. No GCD. Typically when I use this its because I need convictions now to pick up adds via Hammers, rare occasions for Doctrine of Glory.
    Intercede: New 2.7 skill. Shields the ally, intercepting 50% of the damage they receive, and replacing the ally's Toughness with the Cleric's, for 6s. An ally can only be affected Intercede once every 2 minutes. Basically what that says is they wont die for 6s. I have a mouse over macro for it below, I highly recommend it.

Defensive Cool Downs:

Doctrine of Glory: Reduces damage by 2.86% per conviction consumed for 4s, and no longer consumes a Total Assurance stack. With 7 convictions it is 20.02% reduced damage. I like to use this when nothing is going on just to lighten the load on the tank healers.
    Reprieve: Heals the cleric 100%, and clerics mandated ally for 50%. They adjusted the threat multiplier from 2 down to 1. It does generate a little bit of threat but nowhere near what it used to do.
    Resplendent Embrace: Increases Max HP by 20%, increases incoming healing by 50% for 10s. This does affect Just Defense, if you have to use both CDs make sure Respendent Embrace is used first!!!!
    Just Defense: Shields the cleric for 50% of the clerics HP for 10s. I also like to use this when nothing is going on just to help the healers out.

Taunts:

Provoke: ST taunt, forces the enemy to attack the cleric for 3s. No Global Cooldown (GCD) Can only be used every 8s
    Righteous Imperative: AoE taunt, forces 10 enemies to attack the cleric for 3s. In 2.7 its no longer affected by GCD, and it can be used every 20s. Use it, its there for a reason!!!
    Rebuke: AoE taunt, pulls 5 enemies to the cleric forcing them to attack the cleric for 3s. This has a GCD. I mainly use it to pull in the lone caster that's standing out of the group once I have established agro on the group.

I want to discuss the Global Cooldown just incase someone might be confused on what that is. The Global Cooldown (GCD) is when you use an ability the time it takes to use another ability. Justicars are on a 1.5s GCD, while other classes and roles i.e. Shaman have a 1s GCD. This means Justicars can attack 1 time every 1.5s not including auto attacks. So when something is Off GCD or has No GCD it can be cast at anytime. Do not confuse GCD with the cool down of an ability. For instance Provoke, our ST taunt, has No GCD but an 8s cooldown. I can cast Provoke anytime I want but can not use it again for 8 seconds. Just wanted to put that out there.

Macros:

Single Target Macro:
    Code:

#show Precept of Refuge
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Doctrine of Authority
    cast Precept of Refuge
    cast Bolt of radiance
    cast Reckoning
    cast Strike of Retribution

AoE Macro:

Code:
    #show even justice
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Precept of refuge
    cast Even justice

Intercede Macro:
    Code:

#show intercede
    cast @mouseoverui intercede
    yell The power of Benzy compels %t

Since it is a mouse over macro the yell might read the bosses name or whatever your clicked on atm.

ST Taunt Macro:
    Code:

#show provoke
    cast provoke
    yell benzy is taunting %t

Interrupt Macro:

Code:
    #show interdict
    cast @focus interdict
    yell Benzy interrupted --{%t}--

be aware its @ focus!!

Mandate Macro:

Code:
    #show righteous mandate
    cast @mouseoverui righteous mandate
    yell %t is now mandated

Single Target Tanking:

This is a fairly straight forward idea, with 2.7 we build convictions passively so you should be at 7 stacks before the pull. I pull with censure to get the dot ticking before your group unloads, then cast Hammer of Duty, pop Total Assurance then Hammer of Duty again. Doing it this way gives the 2nd Hammer a 64% damage increase via light makes right buff from the first hammer and the Total Assurance buff as well. After that its time for the single target macro spam. Doctrine of Authority in the macro will finish up the remaining Total Assurance buff. By the time you get all the way through the ST macro spam you will have 7 convictions again and censure will be close to falling off. Make sure you reapply censure and cast 1 more Hammer of Duty for good measure and the boss is yours. Continue using the ST spam macro and also Hammer of Duty if convictions will not be needed.

To recap on pull Censure>HoD>TA>HoD>SpamMacro(SM)>SM>SM>SM>HoD>Cens ure>SM...Once again it doesn't have to be this way. This just happens to be the way that I have found that works well for me. Censure is fairly OP with its threat multiplier at 3, USE IT ALWAYS!!

Single Target ALT Method:

Start by casting Bolt of Raidiance, then Hammer of Duty, because of the travel time of BoR both skills will hit very close to each other. Then cast Total Assurance and Hammer of Duty again to secure threat. Get censure up as quickly as possible then use Doctrine of Authority and Precept of Refuge which is in your ST Spam macro. Both methods work very well, it all depends on what your comfortable with.

To recap on pull BoR>HoD>TA>HoD>Censure>SM>SM>ect.

If for whatever reason you should lose agro or the boss runs past you I recommend using your aoe taunt Righteous Imperative instead of provoke. First of all, you don't need to target anything just incase you lose your target, and secondly you don't have to be facing the mob either. And plus its ST so who cares if you burn your aoe taunt.

Multiple Target Tanking:

First thing, never cast Hammer of Faith into a group that does not have agro. It does not always hit all the mobs, you will waste all your convictions and be on GCD while the group is heading your way. With that said, it is very similar to single target tanking. I chose to cast Censure at the group, typically the caster if there is one, to agro everything. As the group approaches I aoe taunt using Righteous Imperative, then cast Hammer of Faith. If there happens to be a caster make sure you drag the taunted group to the caster then use Hammer of Faith to spread the Censure dot. This should be one fluid motion and only take a second or 2. Censure needs to be on all the mobs before your 3 second taunt wears off! Also, doing it this way will off set Censure which is a very good thing. You wont have to cast Censure back on any mobs and waste a GCD. You can just keep spreading it back and forth as they fall off via Hammer of Faith and solidifying your threat in the process. After that you can use the AoE Macro to build up convictions quickly and get the Precept of Refuge buff up. Then back to making sure Censure is on all the mobs. This method works for the trash in Intrepid Drowned Halls, to Volan in Infinity Gate, to Lord Greenscale's shamblers. Only in extreme cases do you really need to use Total Assurance but if the case, always make sure Censure is on a mob your casting Hammer of Faith at.

To Recap Censure>RI>HoF>AoE Macro>HoF... Simple enough

Sorry about all the Mouse over links in the 2 explanations, but when I was first learning how to do this a million years ago, I got tired of scrolling back up to figure out what the hell the skill was. So I figured it would make it easier...maybe not, idk, /shrug.

Now all of that is said and done lets look at Gear, Runes, Orbs, and all the other fun stuff you can spend the rest of your time and money on in Rift as a Cleric tank.

Hit and Toughness:

Hit is needed so you can, well...hit the target, and toughness reduces extra damage cause by critical hits. Hit can be obtained from 8 pieces and is located on your 1H Weapon, Shield, Wand, Neck, Rings, Helmet, and Gloves. Toughness is on 4 pieces Chest, Legs, Shoulders, and Boots. Hit and Toughness upgrades on gear is ALWAYS a priority even if the stats may not be ideal. You can get away with being a little below Hit requirement such as 408, but it is not recommend and you will have attacks resisted and possibly an interrupt which will most likely get you killed.

Gear Stats:

World Gear - 40 hit/75 Toughness
    SL Experts - 53 hit/100 Toughness
    Tier1 Raids - 65 hit/125 Toughness
    Tier2 Raids - 78 hit/150 Toughness
    Tier3 Raids - 90 hit/175 Toughness

Total Minimum Requirements:

SL Experts - 320 Hit/300 Toughness
    Tier1 Raids - 420 Hit/400 Toughness (FT/EE/TDQ/IDH)
    Tier2 Raids - 520 Hit/500 Toughness (IG/PBB/GA)
    Tier3 Raids - 620 Hit/600 Toughness (BoB)

Stats:

Wisdom - 1 to block, 1 to parry, .75sp
    Intelligence - 1 to dodge, .25sp
    Block - 34% mitigation on block
    Dodge/Parry - 100% mitigation on dodge or parry
    Endurance - HP pool
    Armor - Reduces Physical damage

With block I feel anything over 50% is a waste, with Precept of Refuge you gain an addition 5% block also. So how I see it is with these numbers 55% of the time you will mitigate 34% of a hit. If I remember correctly 70% is block hard cap if there still is one. But to get to that number you have to sacrifice way to much dodge. I like to have dodge and parry combined over 20% and keep building that number up. Dodge and parry mitigate 100% of a hit, there are attacks that can not be mitigated but most can, and to dodge or parry a 65k hit can be life or death. Also, dodge and parry even though I am lumping them together get rolled separately. So 10% of the time I dodge, 11% I parry, 55% of the time I mitigate 34% of a hit ( Block ). Even though you have to put much more into dodge I feel its a much better stat then block once block is near or over 50%.

Also, Endurance affects you in a couple different ways. I break them down into White Stats ( Gear, Runes, and Dream Orbs ) and Green Stats ( Vials, Tablets, Pots ). All white stats will give you 24.4hp per 1 endurance. While green stats will only give 10hp per 1 endurance. Yes I understand runes are green stats, but whatevers this is how I remember.

RiftScene is a good place to find your Best in Slot (BiS) gear. but I feel they over weight Block as a stat. Once again that could just be my opinion and I could be wrong.

For people that don't really want to crunch the numbers this is how the block/dodge/parry stats directly effect you. Remember wisdom and intelligence add to block/dodge/parry.

Dodge/Parry - 1pt = .004243% so you need 240 dodge/parry for 1% ( Its quite a bit I know )
    Block - 1pt = .011815% so you need 85 for 1% ( not 100% sure when this diminishes )
    Armor - 1pt = .00053% ish so for every 1600 armor you get 1% give or take. ( My Current ).
    Armor does have diminishing returns, from what I have noticed you lose about a Ten Thousandth of a percent...yes .0001% for every 20k armor, idk maybe this is worth noting, maybe not... Always take the armor upgrade though!!!

Runes:

I feel the runes are pretty self explanatory...use ones with the most endurance on them, but here is a list for those that are lazy.

Helm - Qaijiri Pardoner's Rune or Lustrous Sagacious Rune
    Cape - Qaijiri Rune of Wisdom
    Shoulders/Legs - Auroral Tough Rune
    Chest - Lustrous Hardy Rune
    Gloves/Boots - Lustrous Resolute Rune
    Belt - Caretakers Rune of Wisdom
    1Hand/Shield - Lustrous Adamant Rune
    OffHand - Auroral Wisdom Runeshard
    Neck - Survivors Rune of Wisdom
    Trinket - Empyreal Rune of Wisdom
    Rings - Achyati rune of Wisdom
    Seal - Hailol Endurance Expansion Rune

Dream Orbs:

Riftgrate went a head and built a google docs spreadsheet for the lvls of Dream Orbs and BiS up to t3. Im just gonna give a link to that. Its fairly complicated to list everything out here without the spreadsheet.

Consumables:

I highly recommend using all of these consumables, some can be a bit expensive though. They are a great way to increase stats and endurance. In your Planar Attunement Tree I use Wind Sigil (wis +60 2hours) and Earthen Barbs ( 80dmg to attackers on block ), you can also use Renewing Seed and Archaic Tablet, the ones from the PA tree you can use once every 15mins. I use Stellar Enduring Vials for my potion they are much cheaper then the relic pots and its only a 50hp difference. For food I use Kraken Hors D'oeuvres, the only downside is they do not last through death and run about 2p per. If that's an issue you can always eat floor food feasts. Also, I always make sure I have comfortable insoles and armor plating on. These aren't a must but they do help. A couple things people forget to use constantly and I guarantee you have a stack of each in your bags right now is Charged Mirrors and Consuming Flame. Use them!!

My Karuul Alerts:

These are the alerts I have made for t2-t3 ( Added Magcilian and Laethys 8-11 )

Code:
    KA::AZwmgeNq9WG1v4jgQ/ivuh/vYXpxXOK9WCi1QtPRFkO5qpUqRASf4Ntic47DH6X78jRPYDTS
    lZCtdQ1qKh/iZycwzz2Q8nKJLlBQipRnBJCLrjG6ZKt8OzFGuoF4m81yuiJCCEQtWzZoFx4Qnmtx
    QTX9/fho90xnPuN7GfC5F/pwywRSfx/tPLdu6Wixy4ncwsb2A4K5dnq7Z7QENxg9f+hNy3b+P4A8
    m8DKHY5VQdh+X//nl5oN/R0MUfeciBw+mfJZxkaIJ39BMbWuuXGmqUqZhl8qjY8sDd76FGVOa8BV
    NWf4cFope4hJzx7WJF3QAt1+d8KXRfXSA1lwAW6/DHVOml1uDlm0ZkgnKqg+a4t6vLHZf2cfdPiv
    uxr8FuJjxdKntEj7GbkB81yPYdcvTgZ2mX8LHi4s2Af/pwVh+RxNG51qqRvy19beShmu2ejVjvDi
    p4t+xiNN1SNc3LxP9cfg5/DXsQ5ktmEDTYvZnkVLNpTiRLg3GZxfAmjO9xYvqDli+A3fAqnkwGE2
    jNh70uNZMoTCB35rmmjUF/qVRq5rlYsNTqUpHnQq43cXEd7wa8LXUeTPwiPQeoujhrgn+Hc0yiH5
    PFhDRCnAi50VehtqA362gW0Y37My6xNh2iedDUtud6oTjw4fdpT5+fFGgJ+L72OuhRyU1K0yWXKt
    trl+SovnyMKNzDqw4LlTL8G640oXMZTwr0XsdmwSWfVCV+31fie9rwKOlon8D7IGCojO4fsb3B5f
    vl3aQvbMgzxVja2CTeMGoXsYWjmmF3fOIH9i1tIhoIfRruKOHx+akYFkioeL+QBHU5y7IR/EeiYQ
    pAQHfmbQKuaGUdDtjdIUr4L4VEM85DPrdw+c+epqgcDptU5G7lB4JKDZVrHVDUk8kVYbJATi6kxA
    gytswCM0oUHmc0DmL84yuKjIMIPTYITbQiTm9qhmh6DaM0PR2FB2xuvWGF+GwrMvVrJnK6Yai66W
    hxRZUrmAhNu+KFZ1lLE64YrFVUYofdCH18cEdGPYj9PAUmZ82qd/Ykf6PhuQ7QOe+9Y6GJIrVzAi
    ROXSYhga0B36/M7s2ZuHgxurYg8B23aDfG4TB2ZmUL+mKissNEymjArJJJnGi5D9MxIwqKOx56ZZ
    rAdkHQc2tXxRkfZELqkrghkDYgUw4brINxmc7lmQsX8ZA24aaZruW1ekAr3ZrXvy4bpvq5tD4jQh
    jFHpJvuTrw8QqOZU0WIW4E3a7EMprDzs928dnO6PYXwUH9v9JsxhjKO8uNC7HL0+45VdetevTI9r
    KAt1LOasXPGxyZTnnqqFbUImnCudg/X2Vw2pSDtcbR//ucdxvc2tMxwtncmX6NM3nEPkK4utarrz
    Ssem7RxmMnQ5x/UNdna8V5AKShT7XJfvQJegn6IbRhAlTEr0MZNyJ4jm2PNsp2GwWz5fym+nuKc1
    3GdfxXOLiutQ+HnTeuDn5VuhlUypNzQLLeU7CwMV9f+CF3Z6H3ZsWPAYKkIMkgYvonT7FoP4C6Ci
    gReCFr7yWpDVhaQHjLcQ9YtCe5xlDU8j11VEzN+CODN6SqJ2qU5gCdrvE6bjVafSG3DAEuufHlvl
    F21zppwZyjwOaAS3m7FSK1K3OjrQ2RQI6FxrEar2FlBbxTGa69KkLo5hrWwdpP3m6vzA/e8TWFci
    U81R3Py2deZQyM1Rq4J7w5sCsxWSTMBDWpu5rIhYgen693ZWhMnLwVyfj3m76RhNQbqbTNk5pL4z
    e92TFwXE16Pu2V41DtRtzw2ZFkrAFCrzfWsrz8NNXcOnOPEjYi9gx23AYBKhoqI9XDM/2a8E2sjA
    6IF5Bfe/5qFS77im1+0Lvvplx+3EJdC0XaEhF2jR41FbP73xcQYbNzTf3DnRdcokPB44h0yiSaTn
    PXLTtfKP7r5Ny6BA5T7YmjUIBuiFvJN0ju7S0a/U8iSpoEuCSAiVqHp3FFf2WKtKqxvAuuOdDX8d
    2ddolC9toGoXXn45HqlM35z/JWEib

Check Us Out:
    Live Streams @ 9ST-12ST #Bardbangbus and Phalazin
    Follow us on our YouTube Channel
    Our Website!
    Apply

Special thanks to - Vendetta - Trinity - Crayons - for all the support!!!
    Last edited by Benzzy; 08-11-2014 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Fixed some verbage and macros. Added Alternate ST opener, Added Mag and Laethys Kalerts

Benzy@deepwood
    12/12 Tier 2 - 4/4 BoB Minis - 3/4 BoB Dragons

Soulwalker

Nice guild man! Good job

Plane Touched

Threat vs Pursuit of Truth:

A single Hammer of Duty at 7 convictions will hold threat for > 20 seconds vs a t2 player bursting on a target in my t1 tanking gear. I would rather be able to hold aggro at 35m than have an extra 60 dps. You can also put the last point in the increased crit rate from Shaman.

DPS Macro

I have a "DPS" macro without Precept of refuge and including Sanction Heretic for when I'm not doing anything else (or caught in combat in the wrong role), and turn on Mein of Honor.

DoL is usable as a minor emergency group heal, and DoS can be used to keep yourself up a little longer. 2x DoS, ToI, 2x DoS can do more than half your health.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Emtbob View Post
    Threat vs Pursuit of Truth:

A single Hammer of Duty at 7 convictions will hold threat for > 20 seconds vs a t2 player bursting on a target in my t1 tanking gear. I would rather be able to hold aggro at 35m than have an extra 60 dps. You can also put the last point in the increased crit rate from Shaman.

DPS Macro

I have a "DPS" macro without Precept of refuge and including Sanction Heretic for when I'm not doing anything else (or caught in combat in the wrong role), and turn on Mein of Honor.

DoL is usable as a minor emergency group heal, and DoS can be used to keep yourself up a little longer. 2x DoS, ToI, 2x DoS can do more than half your health.
    First of all, you are a tank not a healer, your not turning on mein of honor...well ever. Also, if your not in melee you aren't tanking. I'm also not aware of any boss that the cleric tank needs to stand more then 30m away, unless your exploiting something. DoL is gone, just let it go bro. the minor group heal can be done by a bard, to say the least, better and more effiently. And if you think about it the extra 60dps x 400% = 240 extra threat per second. Although a small amount your whole job as a tank is to keep threat. Which I find more valuable then and extra 5meters of range. Further more, 1 hammer of duty and censure will hold threat for quite a bit of time even if that's all you cast from range. For instance, Inyr' Kta the queens guards, 1 HoD and censure will hold them through most of the wall phase with people blowing them up. Precept of Refuge is in the macro because, most people, when its out of macro don't keep it up, its 5% block. you need it.

Benzy@deepwood

Skimming through this a see a number of errors.

The other 3 points really don't matter all that much, I choose to use them in corporal punishment. Why not have an extra 3% damage. Ive seen in some other guides people using 2 points into pursuit of truth for the extra 5m range. Id rather have the extra threat.../shrug that could just be me.
    3% damage doesn't mean 3% extra threat, you should want the extra 5m range to hit well far away enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Benzzy View Post
    AoE Macro:

Code:
    #show even justice
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Precept of refuge
    cast Even justice
    You shouldn't have Precept of Refuge as the first thing in a aoe macro, cus when you target the enemy the first thing your going do is st damage and not aoe the mob.
    In order to keep Precept of Refuge up during aoeing you have press the ST macro every 5s after aoeing or this:

#show Even Justice
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast [shift] Precept of Refuge
    cast Even Justice

Using Shift or Alt or something else, allowing you to aoe the mob right away and keep up Precept of Refuge.

Single Target Tanking:

This is a fairly straight forward idea, with 2.7 we build convictions passively so you should be at 7 stacks before the pull. I pull with censure to get the dot ticking before your group unloads, then cast Hammer of Duty,

To recap on pull Censure>HoD>TA>HoD>SpamMacro(SM)>SM>SM>SM>HoD>Cens ure>SM...Once again it doesn't have to be this way. This just happens to be the way that I have found that works well for me. Censure is fairly OP with its threat multiplier at 3, USE IT ALWAYS!!
    Don't start with Censure, it's like you auto attacking while dps hit with the best damaging cd, your want to use Hammer of Duty first or Reckoning then use Censure soon after you engage the enemy.

Multiple Target Tanking:

First thing, never cast Hammer of Faith into a group that does not have agro. It does not always hit all the mobs, you will waste all your convictions and be on GCD while the group is heading your way. With that said, it is very similar to single target tanking. I chose to cast Censure at the group,

To Recap Censure>RI>HoF>AoE Macro>HoF... Simple enough

Same problem here and there's more than one enemy so there's greater risk, if far off use Hammer of Faith then run into the mob and use Even Justice and maybe use a aoe taunt. After that mess then you can Censure a enemy and use Hammer of Faith to spread Censure around.
    Last edited by Burninalways; 07-01-2014 at 06:29 PM. Reason: more errors
    True Server First Prime GP: Anrak the Foul & Guurloth
    4/5 GSB
    4/4 GP
    4/4 DH

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Burninalways View Post
    Skimming through this a see a number of errors.

3% damage doesn't mean 3% extra threat, you should want the extra 5m range to hit well far away enemies.

You shouldn't have Precept of Refuge as the first thing in a aoe macro, cus when you target the enemy the first thing your going do is st damage and not aoe the mob.
    In order to keep Precept of Refuge up during aoeing you have press the ST macro every 5s after aoeing or this:

#show Even Justice
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Even Justice

Using Shift or Alt or something else, allowing you to aoe the mob right away and keep up Precept of Refuge.

Don't start with Censure, it's like you auto attacking while dps hit with the best damaging cd, your want to use Hammer of Duty first or Reckoning then use Censure soon after you engage the enemy.

Same problem here and there's more than one enemy so there's greater risk, if far off use Hammer of Faith then run into the mob and use Even Justice and maybe use a aoe taunt. After that mess then you can Censure a enemy and use Hammer of Faith to spread Censure around.
    Look burningalways, you preface in all your guides the same as I do,
    warning mistakes could be present. -Burningalways
    but the one thing I don't see from any of your quick guides is a Justicar Guide. We can highlander battle till the end of time on the forums on who is right and who isn't. I feel you skimmed through my guide and picked out pieces to fit your theory, but I feel your wrong. You are completely undermining the power of Censure and by comparing it to an auto attack is blasphemy.
    Don't start with Censure, it's like you auto attacking
    This is a completely false statement and you haven't done your homework. With 2.7 its threat multiplier is now at 3, each censure tick is almost equal to reckoning.

In the regards of precept in my aoe macro, I do understand where you are coming from.

#show Even Justice
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Even Justice
    but isn't your macro actually accomplishing the same exact thing except you have to now pay attention to the precept buff every 5 seconds. I understand how advanced you are but for us normal folk, I prefer to have precept up 100% of the time, even if that sacrifices 1 GCD on mobs that should already have threat to the tank via HoF/Censure from my multi target write up. As for strike of retribution yes that should be at the bottom and my fault for missing that.

Now we can drag this out and im sure it will be for the next 6 months till 3.0 comes out. But im not to interested. Like I stated multiple times in the guide that this is what works for me and its tried and true through just about every boss in the game. I never once said other ways aren't as viable. I try to maximize Censure and my threat which all in all give me more time to run that extra 5m and pick up mobs. Just saying.

Benzy@deepwood

RIFT Guide Writer

Revised Aoe Macro

Code:
    #show even justice
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Precept of refuge
    cast Even justice

Benzy@deepwood

Combo'ing Bolt of Radiance (travel time) with Hammer of Duty (instant) is far and away your best initial burst threat, messing about with censure is far from optimal for pulling mobs.

To believe that DoL is 'dead' is very short sighted, DoL is better than it ever has been and much more useful now.

AoE macro with precept of refuge at the start is bad practice as burning already pointed out.

Reccomending that new players pull groups of mobs with a ST skill - censure - is this an attempt to troll them or what? As burnings said, pull packs with hammer and back it up with a censure spread after you have control of them.

Otherwise a useful guide, but these points really spoil it.
    Ambi - Cleric - Apotheosys.

RIFT Guide Writer

Your both missing the point with censure, because your taunting directly after, securing threat for 3 seconds. And you never cast Hammer of Faith at a group of un agrod mobs that is just bad practice, because you cant guarentee hittting all of the mobs. Forcing you to aoe taunt anyways. then use even justice (probably why people are against precept in the aoe macro) to try and secure the few mobs HoF didn't hit and still not getting censure up till a few gcd later. To me that seems wasteful in your time. Censure, AoE taunt, HoF mobs are yours got get yourself a coffee. Honestly I wouldn't knock it till you try it.
    Last edited by Benzzy; 07-02-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Benzy@deepwood

Hammer of Faith hits 10 enemies I can't think of any instance where you would encounter more than 10 in one place, unless you are actively pulling more & more.
    Though there are some 10 mans that do have more than 10 in a tight spot such as TDQ.

There are some cases where the mob isn't packed together in a neat bundle such as PBB trash and that's where Hammer of Faith isn't going to cut it, I could suggest using Censure then hitting them with Even Justice and finish with Hammer of Faith.
    However that it so rare to happen that you shouldn't map you guide around it, you should inform people on how to pick up normal sets then lower down focus on a specif instance where it's better to do this & that and so forth.
    Last edited by Burninalways; 07-02-2014 at 11:26 AM.
    True Server First Prime GP: Anrak the Foul & Guurloth
    4/5 GSB
    4/4 GP
    4/4 DH

RIFT Guide Writer

Through my experience, most trash isn't tightly grouped. Hammer of faith is more then most times, not going to hit every mob it will miss 1 or 2. So casting Censure to agro the group so the group moves towards the tank and bunches up, hammer of faith will then hit everything on almost all occasions. And will spread censure to all the mobs, censure on all the mobs is more powerful then even justice. Once again EJ threat multiplier is 1, while censure is 3 and HoF is 4. Not sure why you wouldn't want your 2 highest threat skills on as many mobs as possible in the quickest amount of time. My guide is based on efficiency and maximizing threat. Yes there is other ways to pick up trash and bosses, and yes they do work, and yes if you prefer those methods then precept in the aoe macro would not be for you. But in my eyes, doing it that way is prolonging the same end result which is censure on everything.

Benzy@deepwood

Lots of good stuff in this guide, props for putting it all together. I'd like to point out a few things I have a different view on, though. All the numbers that I use in this post are based on my current gear.

Stats
    Using your definitions, runes provide White Stats. The endurance you get from runes is multiplied by the same factors other White Stats are.

Napkin math
    Quote Originally Posted by Benzzy
    censure on all the mobs is more powerful then even justice. Once again EJ threat multiplier is 1, while censure is 3
    Censure deals 5112 damage over 15 seconds, spread across 11 ticks (one every GCD starting at 0s), that's 464 damage per tick. Multiplied by 3 that gives us 1392 threat per GCD. Even Justice deals 1456 to 1610 damage, that's 1533 average per GCD. Even Justice generates more threat per GCD or am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by Benzzy
    each censure tick is almost equal to reckoning.
    My Reckoning deals 4154 damage on average. Each Censure tick generates 1392 threat. One is nowhere near the other.

Macros
    I wouldn't use Precept of Refuge in an AE macro. It's too easy to hit it while mobs just run past you. In fact, I wouldn't use any AE macro. It's all about spreading Censure with HoF and spamming EJ, ocassionally hitting PoR to get the buff. There's nothing to macro really. I keep PoR as the first skill in my single target macro and hit it when I need to refresh the buff.

DoL
    Quote Originally Posted by usman
    DoL is better than it ever has been and much more useful now.
    So much this!!! DoL finally makes sense. It is now a meaningful heal that has to be used at the right time to get the most out of it. And it may still be used to, uhm, take the attention of mobs, particularly in fights where you may expect the raid to take damage constantly.

Range vs Threat
    I went with 2 points in Pursuit of Truth. Threat is just such an overkill now I don't think that the few % in damage or crit would make any difference whatsoever, while picking a mob up 5m further away gives you more flexibility.

ST fight opener
    BoR+ HoD + Reckoning until in melee, then TA + HoD + DoA is definitely the strongest ST opener. It's also a massive threat overkill. I wouldn't advise to start with Censure, ever.

AE fight opener
    I use HoD whenever I'm sure it will hit all mobs. If I don't have that guarantee I use whatever I deem best in that situation, sometimes it's Ride the Lightning + Righteous Imperative mid-flight, just for the lolz.

Plane Touched

I did an experiment in an expert and it took 25 seconds for an equal geared ranger to pull off me after a single HoD and no other actions. 2nd Boss in Return to Deepstrike, I don't remember the name. A second HoD did not return aggro to me immediately and I was forced to taunt

Quote Originally Posted by Ethaar
    Napkin math
    An important correction: Censure deals its damage over 15 seconds, that's the time it takes to cast 10 EJs, so in order to compare the threat built in a unit of time, Censure's damage should have been divided by 10. That gives 511.2 dmg / GCD, so 1533.6 threat / GCD. The two break even.

And a thing that I realised could easily be misunderstood - regardless of the math above, Censure is clearly the better threat generator because it delivers the threat of 10 EJs in one use (well, its + HoF to spread it, but it doesn't make a whole lot of a difference). I only intended to show that EJ is not nearly as bad as one could think after reading the thread. In AE situations I delay using Censure until I know that all mobs were hit by HoF once, I AE taunted or I landed a couple of EJs (which is usually 2 or 3 before I have 6 convictions to use Censure and spread it with HoF..

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Ethaar View Post
    Stats
    Using your definitions, runes provide White Stats. The endurance you get from runes is multiplied by the same factors other White Stats are.
    yes your absolutely correct on this fact, runes do give you 24.4hp per 1 end and it was an over site I do apologize.

Yes censure as it ticks does the work of EJ with out casting EJ, thus giving the cleric more time for whatever is needed to do. The reason why I have precept in my macro is because I really don't use EJ anymore except to build convictions quickly.

I do understand that its hard to teach old dogs new tricks and most of us have been playing since beta that are writing on this post. So I went ahead and put together a video to show my methods are viable in all T3 content/bosses. And if ST pulls scare you that much use HoD first then censure, its really not that big of a deal at all.

Heres the Video if anyone is interested on seeing http://youtu.be/XG1546B6V6M

Benzy@deepwood

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast