+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Qwaffle's Warden Guide

Soulwalker

Default Qwaffle's Warden Guide

This is a guide on raid healing 10 and 20 man end game content as a cleric. The best cleric soul for raid healing is the Warden. Wardens are generally utilized for their ability to burst heal many raid members effectively over short periods of time (e.g. Crucia's Orbital Strike, Regulos' Crash of Souls/Vanquish the Weak, Breaker X-1 Fission Burst, etc.). Wardens are all about utilizing down time to maintain HoTs/buffs and mitigating small raid damage, while using their bursty CDs when the raid gets hit hard or massive damage is imminent. So let's talk about how to actually play Warden.

I. The Spec: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmEnIlsiekfuRfsrszvi0cMvc

This is the Warden spec I use for every fight (except Kyzan). You can adjust it as you see fit, but I will explain my choices, and hopefully convince you that this is the "best" combination of points you can spend. First off, 61 Warden. Unless you don't have a synergy crystal, in which case you'll probably want 58 Warden (removing 3 points from Boundless), 61 Warden is a must. 58 of these points will grant you access to Monsoon, which is probably the best CD a Warden has. The other 3 give Bosun's blessing, which at first may seem underwhelming. But with a synergy crystal, this ability will be spitting out an additional 600 health per target healed for every AE Heal you cast. Given that most abilities heal ~10 raid members, that's 6000 health per AE GCD. If you can find a better place to spend 3 points, be my guest. The remaining 15 points are split between the other two cleric healing souls, Sentinel and Purifier. 12 Sentinel, is a non negotiable investment. Watchful Gaze, 10% spell power increase. Pretty self explanatory, 10% spell power is worth more than 5% healing or 10% wisdom, you can't ask for a better side soul passive. Expeditious, 6% increased healing with instant spells. There are only 3 Warden abilities that aren't instants, 2 of which won't be used much at all, and the third won't need a bonus to healing. Call to Action, 6% increased healing to allies below 75% health. Anytime you're doing some real raid healing, it's probably because your allies are below 75% health, which means you can assume this requirement to be met 100% of the time. 2 points for 6% increased healing, that's a deal. The two points required to get Call to Action can be placed either in Benediction (preferred) or Benevolence (crutch ability). If you find yourself casting Healing Cataract very often, Benevolence is probably a better investment. The last 3 points are placed in Purifier's Spirit Guidance, because 6% wisdom is worth more than anything you get from 3 points at this time. (I don't actually know, but if someone can prove an additional 4% wisdom from Spirit Guidance is better than 6% healing from Call to Action, I would gladly take the criticism).

II. Key Abilities/Buffs

1. Geyser- Deals damage, heals allies, maintains Dangers of the Deep stacks.
    2. Pool of Restoration- Heavy raid heals, most efficient when stacked.
    3. Soothing Stream- Stacking (up to 4 times) ST HoT.
    4. Healing Spray- ST HoT.
    5. Healing Flood- AE HoT, those effected receive increased healing from you.
    6. Cascade- Restores 15% of max mana over 3 seconds.
    7. Monsoon- Massive sustained raid heals.
    8. Bosun's Blessing- Additional raid heals.
    9. Ripple- Pseudo Monsoon.
    10. Wave of Renewal- Massive burst raid heals.
    11. Shared Excess- Minor sustained raid heals.
    12. Healing Breath- ST spot Heal.
    13. Healing Effusion- Desperate Pool of Restoration.
    14. Tidal Surge- CD modifier.
    15. Orbs of the Stream/Tide- Preemptive Damage Mitigation on Tank/Raid

III. Raiding/Rotation/Ability Usage

Before the fight even begins, you want to have Shared Excess on yourself. Build 4 stacks of Soothing Stream on yourself, and keep it refreshed at 15s until the pull. As a Warden you will spend most, if not all, of your time targeting the boss/adds. Your task, obviously is providing as much raid healing as possible, at all times. There are a lot of abilities in the Warden tree that revolve around damage increases and some DoTs and whatnot. This is a bunch of horse****. Your job is RAID HEALING. Let the dps do the dps. The only damaging ability you should be using is Geyser. Dangers of the Deep, increases your healing by 3% and increases the duration of HoTs by 1s per stack, up to 5 stacks. How do you acquire stacks of this fantastic buff? Damaging abilities. Which of the damaging abilities do you possess that simultaneously heals the raid? The answer Geyser...Geyser, and only Geyser. As soon as the fight starts your first priority is obtaining 5 stacks of Dangers of the Deep (I.E. casting Geyser 5 times). And as the fight rages on, maintaining these stacks is your top priority, second only to keeping the raid alive. Losing these stacks means spending 5 GCDs rebuilding them, when you could be doing something more useful.

After acquiring 5 stacks of Dangers of the Deep refresh Soothing Stream on yourself. This is your third priority, maintain 4 stacks of Soothing Stream on yourself at all times (recasting Soothing Stream on a target with 4 stacks will refresh the timer with 4 stacks, I.E. after the first 4 GCDs, it requires 1 GCD to maintain). Not only does it provide a bit of a safety net for you, this is how you will be optimizing your usage of Shared Excess. With 5 stacks of Dangers of the Deep up, Soothing Stream will now last 20 seconds...you have 20 seconds to refresh it with a single GCD, don't mess it up. After Soothing Stream is refreshed give yourself a Healing Spray for the same reason, and cast Healing Flood. Healing flood, is a pretty weak AE HoT, but it increases healing received from you by 10% (so does Healing Spray), it also procs Reef Barrier reducing damage taken by 2%, making it a must cast. Each of these HoTs will be cast one after another every 20 seconds, Soothing Stream always comes first.

All of this preparation allows you to passively heal the raid using Shared Excess (and Healing Flood). This of course relies on you not taking damage from avoidably mechanics because Shared Excess only heals 25% of the OVERHEALING to 5 raid members, so don't be bad. Although Shared Excess is cool and all, maintaining Soothing Stream and Healing Spray on yourself seems like wasted priority for a measly quarter of the overhealing for 5 people. That's because Ripple. Ripple spreads all stacks of Soothing Stream and Healing Spray from the target to 5 raid members. Ripple is a no GCD 30s CD, with dangers of the deep the HoTs is spreads last 20s. This is a substantial up-time considering 5 people are being healed for ~30k over 20 seconds. Use Ripple liberally. After all is said and done, 3 GCDs every 20 seconds, Dangers of the Deep shouldn't be an issue to keep up because you should spam Geyser in your down time.

When the raid actually takes damage, whether the mechanic was avoidable or not, Pool of Restoration typically tops the raid off. With an 8s CD, this should always be the first approach to healing heavy burst raid damage. Everything else should be mitigated by HoTs (and other healers). But what if Pool of Restoration simply isn't enough? Can everything talked about up to now really cover something like an Orbital Strike? Hell no. That's what Monsoon is for. When the raid is going to take a massive amount of sustained damage, there are three abilities you need off CD. Tidal Surge, Monsoon, and Ripple. Cast them in that order, and watch the green numbers soar. Tidal Surge will modify your next healing or damaging ability to increase it's effect by 80%. And remember we don't do damage, we raid heal. Tidal Surge will ALWAYS be used in conjunction with Monsoon as it will modify the HoTs it gives, and Ripple will spread the modified HoTs. So 15 raid members, ~54k over 20 seconds each, good luck dying. The Tidal Surge CD is also reduced by 3s per damaging ability (GEYSER) cast. Allowing it to be used with other abilities before Monsoon comes off CD, e.g. Wave of Renewal.

There's not much to say about Wave of Renewal, with Tidal Surge you don't even need to channel it as the raid will be fully healed on the first wave. It's over kill in most situations but it's better to use it before Healing Effusion, or Healing Cataract; and it will heal a non-stacked raid to full, while Pool of Restoration will fail miserably to do so. Healing Effusion does what Pool of Restoration does, except it's slightly worse... and it costs over 3x the mana. This ability is for when you've screwed up, your raid healing mate is slacking, or there really is just too many sequential damage bursts. It's a desperate act to keep the raid up without using a great CD. Healing Cataract will do the same thing, except by the time you finish the cast the people you wanted to save will be dead. Downpour is a good alternative here too.

Healing Breath is for spot healing, and really it should never be used because anyone who needs a spot heal did something dumb, and maybe deserves to lay on the floor for a while. There are a few other abilities like Orbs of the Stream/Tide and Cascade, which I failed to talk about until now. Orbs of the Stream should be placed on the active tank every time they are off CD. Orbs of the Tide should be placed on yourself every time they are off CD. Cascade should be cast ON YOURSELF (it can target any player with mana), every time it's off CD. Even without using Healing Effusion, you will burn through quite a bit of mana. If you really want to, you can also maintain healing spray and 4 stacks of soothing stream on the tank, but if this hinders your ability to raid heal at all, e.g. it causes you to drop Dangers of the Deep or Soothing Stream on yourself, it should not be done.

IV. Macros

Here are some macros I have made/found, which are incredibly helpful.
    Orbs:
    #show Orbs of the Tide
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @self Orbs of the Tide
    cast @focus Orbs of the Stream

Mana:
    #show Cascade
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @self Cascade

Area:
    #show Pool of Restoration
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Pool of Restoration
    cast Healing Effusion

Self:
    #show Soothing Stream
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @self Soothing Stream

Self:
    #show Healing Spray
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @self Healing Spray

Tank:
    #show Soothing Stream
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @focus Soothing Stream

Tank:
    #show Healing Spray
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @focus Healing Spray

Monsoon:
    #show Monsoon
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Tidal Surge
    cast Monsoon

Wave:
    #show Wave of Renewal
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Tidal Surge
    cast Wave of Renewal

Cleanse Warning:
    #show Cleansing Waters
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @group 01 Cleansing Waters
    cast @group 02 Cleansing Waters
    cast @group 03 Cleansing Waters
    cast @group 20 Cleansing Waters

Cleanse:
    #show Curative Waters
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @self Curative Waters

Spot:
    #show Healing Breath
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @mouseover Healing Breath
    cast @mouseover Overflowing Renewal

V. Tips

Healing Flood targets 10 random people. In a 20 man raid I have gone through 5 GCDs of Healing Flood without getting the buff myself. Keeping this up on the entire raid is impossible and not recommended. If you want to gamble, cast it 2-3 times when refreshing HoTs instead of spamming geyser immediately.

Use the Cleanse Warning macro, this goes for all healers ever. It will light up when someone has something that needs cleansing, because the single target cleanse works that way (like a targeted purge). Don't waste your AE cleanse/GCDs cleansing something that can't be removed or nothing at all. "My AE cleanse was on CD the whole fight" is not the same as "I cleansed every time I needed to".

If you use this guide and still find yourself casting Healing Cataract a lot, like I said, just take the two points from Benediction and put them in Benevolence. Just know that you will be healing 2% less, and should be ashamed.

If you use the "Self" macros, put them on your bar from left to right Stream>Spray> and then Healing Flood. 3 Clicks left to right every 20 seconds.

Use Open Water when necessary, but don't lost those stacks.

Nearly all your abilities are instants, even Wave of Renewal can be pseudo instant. Learn to move and cast without fear. Avoiding mechanics will maximize your Shared Excess healing.

Downpour is actually more effective after large burst damage than sustained damage due to unavoidable push-back while channeling.

Don't be afraid to use your CDs. Tidal Surge and Downpour, or Wave of Renewal, will get you through just about anything. Each of these abilities has a 1 minute CD, and Tidal Surge will be up more often than you need it, thanks to Geyser. When spaced correctly every 30 seconds can be a CD. But Tidal Monsoon is by far the best and most reliable raid healing you can provide as a Warden, and should be used when you know you need it.

Purifier offsoul is generally worse for overall raid heals than inquisitor offsoul barring some specific applications for flashover. Pretty sure shifting those 3 points in purifier to 3 points in 2% sp in oracle is an overall gain though.
    Zones@Sargeras
    RIP <Addiction>

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by BelZoness View Post
    Purifier offsoul is generally worse for overall raid heals than inquisitor offsoul barring some specific applications for flashover. Pretty sure shifting those 3 points in purifier to 3 points in 2% sp in oracle is an overall gain though.
    I'm not too sure about 6% SP vs 6% Wisdom + 3% Healing. But yeah, if you have the new souls (I don't :/), 3 points in Oracle (6% SP + 1.5% Healing) will definitely do better than 3 in Purifier.

Thanks for the feedback.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Qwaffle View Post
    I'm not too sure about 6% SP vs 6% Wisdom + 3% Healing. But yeah, if you have the new souls (I don't :/), 3 points in Oracle (6% SP + 1.5% Healing) will definitely do better than 3 in Purifier.

Thanks for the feedback.
    I just checked, and based on the tool tips alone you are correct, BelZoness. 3 points in Inquisitor is very slightly better than 3 Purifier. I will be using this spec http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmEnrlsiekfuRfsrszvi0cMvc from now on.

+ Reply to Thread