+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Trilkin

Thread: [2.6] A Slightly More Advanced KAlert Shaman Guide

Default [2.8] A Slightly More Advanced KAlert Shaman Guide

First off, big mondo ultra super special shout-out to Redcruxs. This is a fork of his guide, and the base KAlert set is fully his creation. I highly recommend you check out his original guide here to understand how this all came to be in the first place. Credit also goes to Ahov for his priority list. While my guide is not strictly based on his priorities (shaman's rotation is fairly natural and obvious,) he did write it out before I did. His guide can be found here.

Note that this guide assumes you know how to use KAlert to alter the set to match your needs.

The spec has not changed, but for reference, it is 61 Shaman/10 Druid/5 Inquisitor. This is the same as the Storm Brute preset in game.

Alert Set and Macros
    Code:
    KA::AgzQKeNrFV11z4jYU/SvuU59CbflD9ujJNtZ0O8nuJqHdmU5mGAECNLEtRhbJst3+916JjwA
    mrEnT6UAcbF3se+4951xxLWZzXYt65vzKqoorEpABWZRsxVVPMzXjmniEwrUBud6GkpT2c5SEaRT
    5UREGGSJeaMMoceF1J6aa9Jlmvzz8/uGBjUQp9GooxrJuHpo5q1h9VZp7wa2Gc/vU3mTSEBy6JEI
    hCXEvWh+8HtwZXnnxcVDcwQd4mwf4rk1od3lgH44I/U6VbPRIaA5nWxw2YGCy2y2mkZfjMPIT34t
    RmgUm7275jzhrdAV/XF3NFGfwfziWaiHhczkEaGLKG820kPVwZGHFgXcSVnEaFt1etmeRTYl+v2M
    z7sipo+fc+SiVnpP4BR9aoyPtIGgUivPCi3ASRThOMdysW5sWQgktp2O1bNiEK7TuUBRaKIEPCOz
    B7SWQ/J+XQMllNRI1nzjFdApJEnwIxH7tKCSlaVa4KQ3TEEfIT1FXGKKG/jzxmqO3tKLFMJN+8el
    6j1vHGinUcmF6b9pwDVQwqScFTnDfT2iQR0YnXaUyYmrEJ1qxhXdWH2mpr25bCFALAdpoJFerRt/
    IGvq71sZOJmsMt6L8uXHurVAdG8xKUsuanxEJiKrapM3r8ZzVVtyVkYcAXXiRRZCghIRRQILYvI2
    yD9I2r8PC2zPPMMczIlg2c1PYe614PQN6+23qtGJSP3AD5Id93I9pkXpZZ6kDpAVoebiYrxoxBhT
    QCmH8b7g6yyZ0AZs+VIvfZKlPtQGWlHwCEdgAUDINKU0KsCuaoTTvDGNrtWsSxfi4BT+10g3X6Q4
    +fX5pAwWdbrog74E8+xlfVPt3Kb0hUuTh14jUrrk987dVh0HwjdfOF8UgSXxspANysJ7SInT7vot
    y14+90Eu6K3guy1VTgTaCswK+7UAYtEn986Yih4y5bL49piUHVxUVzIvmIV0qdgVmbtkB6CIXYl3
    UCzZH1+a4x4adVtHrJn/DmkY8cScr5TMJ21Q5WE8pdTMUpFFWxJ7fz+LO3G7mcvz4zJ44Yu9m8Ls
    qorYq/689xIXMoScHl7w+1O3L7Bp0nV3uW0cXio9c5y8AOH5s/j49ANqkMoOrz/nCoYrzb5wkbU7
    tL6c0pzEKc4yohws/pF2dZ8EUm8n66pmthnI6rOSy1mA9w/H7bYAytYTxOznTCRPBSmFwBIVLUYA
    DH5oAJtrd9kcl5xPjmGtlYBy/YfRuK29HUEvGA7IZTVkBVhEEYRHHUT8u3jia/o09bkl+kznPTOi
    9XzG73fEPLec/dJx2eU3SeJP0H/zr3lbmeEtpVmH6x9QNMh8neR/DsfsMeuJfz1bXv+DX1Q2bifG
    xK9J3mTzGIS6cPKfd+8tr0lpX8wej3X3bZI/Pb2xf2Y94G3n9A7QBnqE
    You can have a look at what the set looks like here. It was made for 1920x1080 resolutions.

Macros

Main Magic
    #show Jolt
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Frozen Wrath
    cast Glacial Strike
    cast Jolt
    cast Icy Blow
    cast Ekkehard's Grasp

Magic Without Jolt
    #show Frozen Wrath
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Frozen Wrath
    cast Glacial Strike
    cast Icy Blow
    cast Ekkehard's Grasp

Physical
    #show Massive Blow
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Combined Effort
    cast Massive Blow
    cast Crushing Blow
    cast Ekkehard's Grasp

Cooldowns
    #show Rage of the North
    cast Rage of the North
    cast Deep Freeze

EoL
    #show Eruption of Life
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Frozen Wrath
    cast Glacial Strike
    cast Eruption of Life

RoS
    #show Rush of Strength
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Rush of Strength
    cast Massive Blow

Keys Legend
    Q = Magic
    E = Physical
    1 = Lightning Hammer
    2 = Rush of Strength/Massive Blow macro
    3 = Vex
    4 = Non-Jolt Magic Macro
    Alt+Q = Eruption of life
    Z = Cooldowns

The Changes

- Glacial Strike alert removed. I found it completely unnecessary. If you have Glacial Strike manually bound outside of a macro... you probably don't need this alert set in the first place! If you wish to add it back to the alert set, I will list the magic ability priority I'm working with.

- Speaking of which, the magic ability priority list is currently:

Frozen Wrath > [Glacial Strike under 30%] > Jolt > Lightning Hammer > Vex > Eruption of Life > Icy Blow

- The physical ability priority list is:

Combined Effort > Massive Blow > Crushing Blow

- I have altered the alerts to show Combined Effort if it's currently up. Due to the inherent lag in KAlert, a warning similar to the Massive Blow one isn't necessary. This will allow you to better use your cooldown block - which I will describe further in the guide.

- I've added timers for Brutalize, the Crystal buff (using the T1 crystal. change it if you're using a different one.) Frozen Wrath and Rush of Strength's cooldown. The crystal buff timer might be redundant since you will be refreshing Lightning Hammer nearly on cooldown anyway, but it's there anyway! There is also an indicator for remaining Eruption of Life stacks and the current timer on Improved Jolt to keep track of the buff.

Any and all of these can be disabled or otherwise altered through KAlert if you are confident in keeping track of them all yourself. This just allows me personally to have all of the information I need condensed into one area. As expected, this does increase the visible footprint of the alert set, and its location on screen might not be optimal for you.

- I've changed the location of the cooldown icons so I can see whether the Massive Blow indicator is simply warning me that it's coming up or if it actually IS up.

- The actual alert keys were changed to match my setup. Change them (and the macros, if you'd like) to better accommodate yours!

How To Play (tl;dr version)

Buffs:
    Furious Assault (applies all Courage buffs), Armor of Devotion, Glory of the Chosen, Heart of the Frozen Sea (will get overwritten in raids)

Vengeance of the Winter Storm for 1-3 mobs. Vengeance of the Primal North for 4+ mobs.

Opener (as if using the above macros and running in on pull):
    Vex -> Lightning Hammer -> Eruption of Life -> Physical -> Cooldownx1 (Rage of the North) -> Magical -> Cooldownx1 (Deep Freeze) -> RoSx2 (will cast RoS then Massive Blow) -> Alternate Magic and Physical while refreshing DoTs according to alerts.

Isolated, Ideal Cooldown Block (assuming Combined Effort is active):
    Rage of the North -> Frozen Wrath -> Deep Freeze -> Massive Blow -> Glacial Strike or Jolt -> Rush of Strength -> Massive Blow

Note that due to lag and RNG, it isn't always possible to have Jolt between the two MBs. It's fine - your priority is using your cooldowns on Frozen Wrath and double Massive Blows in order to maximize the burst. Deep Freeze only lasts three seconds, so getting as much mileage as you can out of your hardest hitting abilities is important even at the expense of clipping Brutalize.

DO NOT clip Brutalize outside of your cooldown block. There are also other situations where you do not want to clip Brutalize due to certain raid situations (i.e. Proteus) regardless of your cooldowns. Use your best judgment.

Vex does not count as a magic or physical attack, but is considered part of your 'magic' priorities to time your DoTs together.

AOE:
    Rage of the North -> Frozen Wrath on two separate mobs -> Deep Freeze -> Alternate Strike of the Maelstrom and Avalanche Strike

Why FW on two mobs? Lag. This absolutely ensures that Frozen Wrath will never have to be manually reapplied for that pack.

Putting It All Together (lots of words version)

As with the original alert set, the intention is to have a friendly, visual indicator of not only what to push, but also what's coming up next that needs to be pushed. The timers were added to help the player predict what will have to be refreshed next. For example, due to the nature of KAlert, you may miss opportunities to cast Eruption of Life if you strictly follow the set due to the inherent lag in the addon. Keeping an eye on the EoL stacks will help the player go 'okay, I have one stack left and my next attack is going to consume it. the next ability in the priority list that will be up is EoL, so I should just queue it up for my next magic attack.'

I macro Rush of Strength with Massive Blow due to server lag. I find it easier to just spam that key to get Massive Blow out when I want it after a RoS and then going back to my normal rotation. You're free to do it your own way, naturally.

At the risk of regurgitating what other guides have already said, here is a short summary of some of the key points of this spec (assuming 61 points so you have the corresponding talents:)

- Furious Assault reduces your GCD to 1s
    - Magical attacks will buff your next physical attack by 30%
    - Massive Blow applies a short DoT that deals 45% of its damage over 3s
    - Combined Effort increases all outgoing single-target damage you do by 5%
    - Improved Jolt increases the damage of Jolt tremendously (nearly triple,) thus why I have a separate macro when the reactive/proc for it is down
    - Frozen Wrath doubles the damage done by Vengeance of the Winter Storm
    - Glacial Strike is an execute (usable when the mob is under 30%) that will do more damage than a buffed Jolt

The take-away here is that a) you don't use two physical attacks in a row and b) there is a set priority in what abilities you should be using in order to maximize your DPS output. Like most any DPS spec in the game, your hardest hitting spells should be used first to put them on cooldown quickly so they're up more often throughout the fight.

DoTs are your priority over Eruption of Life, but don't discount the extra damage EoL does. While Red has suggested disabling EoL and Vex alerts while you're learning the spec, I disagree. I believe you should learn the spec in its entirety to get the most damage out of it. An hour or so on the dummy will work out a LOT of the kinks and start working the rotation into your muscle memory. With the alert set to guide you, it's easier still.

I hope this helps somebody! Don't be afraid to leave feedback - positive or negative. Anything that helps me improve the guide is welcome.
    Last edited by Trilkin; 09-02-2014 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Removal of the Courage buffs - they're rolled into Furious Assault. Minor change to Frozen Wrath (only buffs VoWS now)

Ascendant

It would be a dps increase to form your cooldown block around FW instead of randomly placing it.

I've listed my opener in my updated guide:

Vex > FW > CE > LH > MB > Nonphys > phys > nonphys > phys > nonphys > phys > nonphys > phys > nonphys (NOT JOLT)> phys > (Cooldown block begins) Vex > {Rotn} FW > {DF} MB > {ROS} Jolt > MB > nonphys (usually Lightning Hammer) > CE
    Arguing whether or not to use rotn at the very beginning of an encounter depends on the fight, and is mostly irrelevant since you'd prefer a preload rotation with the above opener regardless.

With my cooldown block you get 100% crit on Frozen Wrath, which is your hardest-hitting nonphysical attack by far.

Ergh, I knew I forgot something when I was fixing this. Sorry, Ahov. Linked to the old guide. The cooldown block was intentionally simplified due to the nature of this guide and is why I wanted to link the other guides to begin with=(

Champion of Telara TheDoomgiver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    Vex > FW > CE > LH > MB > Nonphys > phys > nonphys > phys > nonphys > phys > nonphys > phys > nonphys (NOT JOLT)> phys > (Cooldown block begins) Vex > {Rotn} FW > {DF} MB > {ROS} Jolt > MB > nonphys (usually Lightning Hammer) > CE
    why do you have so many nonphys/phys abilities before your CD block?

isnt it better to use :

1. LH
    2. CE
    3. FW
    4. (CD block begins)
    4.a DF + RoTN
    4.b MB
    4.c Jolt proc
    4.d (RoS) MB
    5. non phys
    6. phys

yes?
    or, if you have a different opener, please do tell us.

(as in, when fight begins)
    Last edited by TheDoomgiver; 04-01-2014 at 12:18 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoomgiver View Post
    why do you have so many nonphys/phys abilities before your CD block?
    He is waiting for raid buffs to be up to maximize the hardest hitting abilities
    Last edited by Poonisher; 04-05-2014 at 01:53 AM.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Poonisher View Post
    He is waiting for raid buffs to be up to maximize the hardest hitting abilities
    anyone tested these macro's/rotation against the Ultimate Kalert Shaman guide's macro's/rotation?

Got some new cleric's and in the past referenced them to the Ultimate to more easily learn their priorities/rotations. If this one is more streamlined I'll send them here instead.

Champion of Telara TheDoomgiver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mumnoch View Post
    anyone tested these macro's/rotation against the Ultimate Kalert Shaman guide's macro's/rotation?

Got some new cleric's and in the past referenced them to the Ultimate to more easily learn their priorities/rotations. If this one is more streamlined I'll send them here instead.
    this macro set is slightly superior.

but it HELPS to customize your own k-alerts.
    i, for example, added a timer to the crystal buff, and added stacks to the EOL thing, and moved around the DF/RoTN alerts, and added timers to them.

the original sset is easier to follow, but if you really wanna min-max, then this one is the one to use.

Rift Disciple

Firstly, thanks for the guide. Up until last week I've been solely Inquis/Justicar/Puri, but recently thought I'd increase my worth and learn Warden via Ahov's guide. I tried to learn Shaman through Ahov's guide too, but found it a bit too complicated so was very happy when I found Redcruxs' simplified Shaman guide.

Coming from Inquis, I've found that the ability to switch from ST to AoE with Shaman whilst in combat with one buff change is great, but my ST DPS is slightly below that of the Inquis. I put this down to the fact that with shaman I'm constantly changing focus from the fight mechanics to my rotation, and trying to find a balance whilst still learning, whereas Inquis is now second nature.

I'm going to give your alerts and macros a go later to see if I can squeeze a bit more DPS out whilst still learning, or if I should stick to the simplified macros until I'm more comfortable with the spec itself.

One question I have though is:-

Quote Originally Posted by Trilkin View Post
    - Improved Jolt increases the damage of Jolt tremendously (nearly triple,) thus why I have a separate macro when it's down
    Not really sure what you mean by "When it's down".

I assume that due to 'Shocking Conclusion' I you only want to use Jolt after a crit, but does the KA alert set tell you when the right time would be to use the non-jolt or the jolt macro?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Ettu View Post
    Firstly, thanks for the guide. Up until last week I've been solely Inquis/Justicar/Puri, but recently thought I'd increase my worth and learn Warden via Ahov's guide. I tried to learn Shaman through Ahov's guide too, but found it a bit too complicated so was very happy when I found Redcruxs' simplified Shaman guide.

Coming from Inquis, I've found that the ability to switch from ST to AoE with Shaman whilst in combat with one buff change is great, but my ST DPS is slightly below that of the Inquis. I put this down to the fact that with shaman I'm constantly changing focus from the fight mechanics to my rotation, and trying to find a balance whilst still learning, whereas Inquis is now second nature.

I'm going to give your alerts and macros a go later to see if I can squeeze a bit more DPS out whilst still learning, or if I should stick to the simplified macros until I'm more comfortable with the spec itself.

One question I have though is:-

Not really sure what you mean by "When it's down".

I assume that due to 'Shocking Conclusion' I you only want to use Jolt after a crit, but does the KA alert set tell you when the right time would be to use the non-jolt or the jolt macro?
    Bump

/10char

Oh, sorry! I didn't realize I got permission to edit the guide. I know it's about 4 months late, but here we go! Fixed the opening post to reflect the suggestions Ahov gave for the cooldown block. It is, indeed, superior to what I was using before for the reasons he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoomgiver View Post
    why do you have so many nonphys/phys abilities before your CD block?...
    This was answered already, but yes, the idea is that you delay your block a little bit and get your DoTs rolling as you run in to engage after a pull, saving your cooldowns to run parallel with raid cooldowns. Your burst is everything as a shaman and maximizing it by timing it with Flaring and Orchestra is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Ettu View Post
    ...Not really sure what you mean by "When it's down".

That is exactly what I mean. I fixed the guide to better explain that. As far as the KAlert set goes, it doesn't tell you outright when to use Jolt effectively, but I did add a timer close to the other alerts that show you the current duration of the buff if it's on you. Just watch your reactive bar - if you don't see the Jolt icon on it, use the non-Jolt macro instead. Remember that the Jolt indicator will cover anything beneath it in its priority, so if you're not using it due to the reactive being down, you'll have to keep an eye on your DoT timers and EoL stacks a bit more closely. The Crystal bonus timer will tell you about when Lightning Hammer is about to drop, so that will be your indicator to refresh it and Vex if nothing higher priority needs to be done. The EoL alert will tell you how many stacks of it remain. I tried a few different ways of attempting to work with the alert, but due to the simple fact that I can't make rules such as 'if X is off cooldown and Y is up, show this alert' in KAlert, I can't make it ideal.
    Last edited by Trilkin; 08-12-2014 at 07:46 AM.

Shield of Telara

First off, great guide. This is probably one of the better explained shaman guides out there.

In your last section, you state that "Massive Blow applies a short DoT that deals 75% of its damage over 4s" - Should this be changed to 45% and 3 seconds?
    Last edited by Attillaa; 08-13-2014 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Attillaa View Post
    First off, great guide. This is probably one of the better explained shaman guides out there.

In your last section, you state that "Massive Blow applies a short DoT that deals 75% of its damage over 4s" - Should this be changed to 45% and 3 seconds?
    Woops. Good catch. Fixed.

+ Reply to Thread