+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ahov

Thread: The Inyr'kta Sentinel

Ascendant

Default The Inyr'kta Sentinel

Intro

Inyr'kta is currently the only encounter where a full 61 Sentinel is considered viable, if not optimal. With the singular tank strategy it can be quite helpful to have Healer's Covenant as part of a cooldown rotation, and Vigilance to help counter potential combo damage which would normally kill your tank. Since she is the only boss you would normally run Sentinel, consider this a complete Sentinel guide with abilities only mentioned with relevance to this encounter.

Sentinel Spec

61 Sentinel/15 Purifier/0 Defiler

Back on Regulos I loved the 12 Warden variant for Faith Rewarded + Healing Cataract to help cover raid damage. When Crash of Souls and Vanquish The Weak occurred you were free to aoe heal because tank damage subsided. With only a few exceptions, you now lack down-time on tank damage to raid heal, so getting a 10-target aoe heal is less important than maximizing your single-target healing.

Buffs

Healer's Blessing - Some additional healing, even on instant cast abilities.

Faith Rewarded - Epic bonus healing when your tank needs it the most. Same factor applies as with Healer's Blessing; you can proc this with instant cast abilities.

Marked by the Light - Some passive trivial hps, apply and forget.

Sign of Wrath - Shouldn't overwrite the Purifier's Sign of Faith (7% damage reduction), harmless to apply. Should add trivial dps if you spot-heal a target of Aggressive Infection.

Rage Blight - Trivial damage.

Wrathful Exuberance - Significant Damage. Apply directly to your tank.

Light of Redemption - Free, focused and passive healing. Apply directly on your tank. Only procs from Invocation abilities.

Ability Overview

Healing Invocation - Primary spam heal. Efficient with mana and has a 2s cast time.

Crucial Invocation - Above-average, mana-inefficient spam heal. 1.5s cast time. Used when you need maximum hps for a short period of time. Definitely rely on this during a double-stack of Intensifying Anguish, as you have time to regenerate mana during the first and third immunity phase, as well as Stellar Mana Tonics. The final 30% of the encounter is another great time to use Crucial Invocation. High stacks of her damage buff toward the end of a fight combined with active laser dodging results in higher tank damage and less average tank healing. To combat this, toss in some Crucial Invocations when you have reached a safe spot for both laser walls. If you do not, it is very likely the tank will die. A final scenario for regular Crucial Invocation usage is if your Healing Invocation is not syncing very well with Intensifying Anguish and the tank isn't topped off. For example, if there is 1s left on the dot timer and it's very near to 0s, this means a Healing Invocation will leave nearly one second of delay between the dot tick and your next heal. It may be suitable to use Crucial Invocation, but this also takes some experience to determine the fine timings.

Fullness of Life - Extreme, instant heal. Great for quickly topping the tank off even if laser walls are occurring.

Healing Breath - This heal does not trigger a GCD, meaning you can quickly combine it with Healing Flare for burst healing. Each can trigger Healer's Blessing and Faith Rewarded. Otherwise, you are free to queue it up following a Healing Invocation in this manner: Healing Invocation > (no GCD Healing Breath) > Healing Invocation. The former combo results in higher burst healing, and the latter results in more throughput for sustained damage. Healing Breath also triggers some splash healing, so for add phases it may be wise to reserve it following ticks of Million Shards.

Healing Flare - Spammable, mobile instant heal. It is your weakest tool but can also trigger Healer's Blessing and Faith Rewarded. If you are dodging lasers, don't stop healing! Spam this at minimum.

Healer's Haste - Reduces cast time by 30% for your next 5 healing spells. Since your Crucial Invocation already matches your GCD, it would be a waste to combine these two abilities. I recommend using Healer's Haste with Healing Invocation. This cooldown is generally reserved for a double stack, covered later in the guide.

Nyol's Hope - Increases healing output by 50% for your next 5 healing spells. I recommend combining with Crucial Invocation due to the fact you popped a major cooldown. A major cooldown implies the tank is either getting wrecked or you are compensating for another healer death/movement. Usually reserved for the double stack of Intensifying Anguish.

Healer's Covenant - Reduces damage taken by 40% for 10s. It is normally recommend to line this up so it is available for the 3s and 0s ticks of Intensifying Anguish. More on this, along with the advanced scenarios in later sections of the guide.

Vigilance - Prevents your tank from dipping below 20%, even from a killing blow. This is nearly always used to handle extraordinary circumstances covered in a later section.

Touch the Light - Makes your next healing spell instant and cost significantly less mana. This is great to use when actively dodging lasers; when rotated an instant Healing Breath + Healing Flare combo and Fullness of Life, you now have a larger mobile arsenal. Recommended to cast Crucial Invocation after.

Symbol of the Torch - Included in an aptly named macro later in the guide, this is only used if your Purifier dies and you need to help prevent some damage to either A) infection runners or B) players who did not cleanse themselves of the Million Shards debuff, specifically during an immunity phase.

Urgency - Increases a player's movement speed by 50%. This can be used in a cinch to ensure a player runs to safe spots between laser walls. It can also be used to quicken the process of dropping the infection on the outside of the room. Feel free to use on other healers in particular, but don't do so if the tank isn't already topped off.

Divine Call - Fairly weak 5-target heal, only really useful if they all dip below 50% so you proc Faith Rewarded, and additionally if the tank isn't receiving much damage. Decent for add phase, particularly if some players were not cleansed of their Million Shards debuff.

Healing Communion - Similar use case to Divine Call, except this one relies on a cast time. Only used in real emergencies during an add phase, I wouldn't use this when Inyr'kta is active.

Reverent Supplication - Channeled mana regen. The best times to regenerate mana are the first and third immunity phase. These laser walls are easy to solve and you have plenty of time standing still. Don't waste a mana tonic if you're about to transition to one of these phases. Use Reverent Supplication instead.

Renewed Altruism - Resets all of your Sentinel cooldowns. Primarily used during double stacks of Intensifying Anguish, this ability is explained later in the guide.

Macros

Instant Crucial
    Code:
    #show touch the light
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast touch the light
    cast Crucial Invocation
    5-target heal
    Code:
    #show divine call
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast divine call
    cast Healing communion
    Healing Flare
    Code:
    #show healing flare
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @mouseoverui healing flare
    Healing Breath combo heal (Note: This macro prevents Healing Flare from queuing before your GCD is finished. It is only optimal for a burst Healing Breath + Healing Flare. Do not spam this for subsequent Healing Flare casts).
    Code:
    #show healing breath
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @mouseoverui healing breath
    cast @mouseoverui healing flare
    "My Purifier Died"
    Code:
    #show Symbol of the Torch
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @mouseoverui Symbol of the Torch
    Healer's Haste (Note: This macro prevents Healing Invocation from queuing before your GCD is finished. It is only optimal when your GCD is finished and you want the quickest possible Healer's Haste > Healing Invocation transition. For the subsequent GCDs I recommend manually casting Healing Invocation).
    Code:
    #show healer's haste
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Healer's Haste
    cast Healing Invocation
    Nyol's Hope (Note: This macro suffers from the same issue as the one above. Follow the same procedure).
    Code:
    #show nyol's hope
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast nyol's hope
    cast crucial invocation

Intensifying Anguish

I've touched on some Sentinel concepts but the following mechanic may be the bane of your existence. Intensifying Anguish is a 15s dot applied to the tank which increases in damage over time. The damage is percent-based, dealing around 60-70% of the tank's health pool with the final tick. It cannot be mitigated by damage reduction cooldowns, but shields do work, and any tick which would normally kill the tank after shielding can be countered with Vigilance or Defer Death.

It is recommended to have a five player cooldown rotation to handle each Intensifying Anguish cycle for a total of four distinct cooldown blocks. The order is not as important as the timing. An example of how the order may play out is as follows:

Intensifying Anguish #1- Tank receives dot at 14s (which is 15 real seconds due to the final and most powerful tick hitting at the end of 0s)

9s on timer- There is less than 10s remaining, so Unstable Transformation from your Defiler is guaranteed to remain active as Intensifying Anguish reaches its peak damage. While it cannot prevent the damage from Intensifying Anguish it will limit combo damage from her auto attacks and add swings. Have your defiler use Unstable Transformation. This cooldown is quite powerful and combined with consistent hps from the sentinel and consistent shielding from the purifier, you should have no issues keeping the tank up.

Intensifying Anguish #2

9s on timer - There is less than 10s remaining, so your Healer's Covenant in 61 Sentinel will be more useful to help prevent combo damage for the stronger portions of the dot. Do not use Healer's Covenant when there is 10s+ on the timer except in an extraordinary circumstance (more on this soon!) Healer's Covenant is generally powerful enough to not require any further cooldowns.

Intensifying Anguish #3

14s on timer - Purifier casts Fiery Will to dramatically improve their healing + shielding throughput.
    3s on timer - Purifier casts Spiritual Conflagration.

Intensifying Anguish #4

9s on timer - Chloromancer casts Symbiosis.
    3s on timer - Rogue tank uses Soul Coalescence

The Double Stack

Of course, you may be thinking to yourself how the group has more cooldowns to spare. These are being reserved for the harshest tank damage you will ever see (that is still healable, at least). Occasionally the Intensifying Anguish will stack upon itself, dealing double damage. In this scenario, let's consider a rotation where the cooldown availability mimics the first four blocks I have already described.

In all double-stack scenarios you have the Purifier use Rite of the Forge. Have your rogue tank pop a shielding trinket immediately to help cover your healers while they prepare cooldowns. Around 12-11s on the timer the tank should use Planar Refuge. Your tank should use Scatter the Shadows around 6-7 seconds. Planebound Aegis is used immediately as the timer ticks to 4. As a Sentinel you will cast Vigilance immediately and monitor its consumption. Your current mana level will dictate which abilities you use here. If you're relatively low on mana and cannot use a potion (meaning you've failed) then use Healer's Haste + Healing Invocation x5, followed by Nyol's Hope + Crucial Invocation x5. If you're solid on mana, do 5x Crucial Invocation and then Nyol's Hope + 5x Crucial Invocation, popping a tonic as soon as possible. If Vigilance is consumed, cast Renewed Altruism and reapply Vigilance on your tank.

If you get a double stack during block #1 you would have your Defiler use Unstable Transformation at 12-11s. This is because you don't necessarily need direct mitigation in the final seconds since the tank will "die" but be saved by Vigilance.

If you get a double stack during block #2 you would use Healer's Covenant around 12-11s, for the same reason as above.

If you get a double stack during block #3 you would have your Purifier use Fiery Will immediately. The buffed Rite of the Forge is the best case scenario, so this will be the easiest double-stack to heal.

If you get a double stack during block #4 have your Chloromancer cast Symbiosis around 12-11s and have your rogue tank use Soul Coalescence around 6s on the timer.

Subsequent Double Stack and the.....Unspeakable Triple Stack

The double stack cooldown timings are important because they create an environment where your tank can potentially survive another double stack or even a triple stack because you still have a Vigilance available due to Renewed Altruism. Your tank still has Defer Death at their disposal. Nothing really changed from the above, except you obviously have less cooldowns available. The triple stack occurs only once in a blue moon so this is why cooldowns are not specifically reserved for it; you just keep what wasn't used. If a double stack occurs within two minutes following the previous double stacks, OR a triple stack occurs and your normal cooldowns have already been used, you have a few options but inherently your chances for survival are lower than normal.

Because you already used Renewed Altruism, you have Nyol's Hope and Healer's Haste at your disposal. Depending on if you just recently did Crucial Invocation spam, it may not be possible to spam CI. If that's the case, use the Healer's Haste + Healing Invocation x5 followed by Nyol's Hope + Crucial Invocation x5 combo listed previously OR if you're even lower on mana, swap out a few CI for Fullness of Life/ Touch the Light + CI. If you somehow have enough mana, use the Crucial x5 + Nyol's Hope + Crucial x5 combo. In any case, apply Vigilance at the 4s mark so it is consumed for the 3s tick. Have your rogue tank use Defer Death at 1-2s. Triple Stacks have been survived. It can potentially come down to heal crit RNG, but it is possible.

Once you've become comfortable surviving normal double stacks you can potentially drop some cooldowns such as Planar Refuge from the rotation and instead reserve them for subsequent double stacks.
    Last edited by Ahov; 02-06-2014 at 08:25 AM.

Longest guide NA gj

Longest guide in RIFT gj :P
    Raiding is like school. You get graded on your performance,
    people who put the effort in are the ones with the highest grades.
    ~Proffessor Kazumii
    Want to slay dragons? ofcourse you do. click here because I said so!

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator bctrainers's Avatar

I do have to say, this is pretty much what I do (without the CI spamming The Inyr'kta Sentinel-dpfc3z6.png). So, with being fairly impressed by this guide, I have to tag in this image:
    The Inyr'kta Sentinel-q0f1xdk.jpg

I actually have been messing around a build similar to yours for queen. It's minimal difference when I was messing about on PTS with said build compared to the one you've linked (amusingly, what I had used originally). edit; I still don't think that crit change functions - unless RNg is just against me in this game. :/

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#pGaGyFkGGa8/m8x0/q Simply granting 5% more healing and using warden's Healing spray when able.
    Last edited by bctrainers; 02-05-2014 at 04:00 AM.
    --BC

Quote Originally Posted by Kazumii View Post
    Longest guide in RIFT gj :P
    I'll see your sentinel guide and raise you a warlock guide

ill raise once more <3

http://foren.riftgame.de/diskussione...ion-2-5-a.html

but dont worry, the german mage community still sucks
    sculzilla - cleric - 4/4 3/3 5/5 BoB: Greenscale/Akylios
    You Listening? You Hear That?
    Do Something. Do Something.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by sculti View Post

but dont worry, the german mage community still sucks

All 3 of them?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by bctrainers View Post
    I do have to say, this is pretty much what I do (without the CI spamming Attachment 16819). So, with being fairly impressed by this guide, I have to tag in this image:
    Attachment 16820

I actually have been messing around a build similar to yours for queen. It's minimal difference when I was messing about on PTS with said build compared to the one you've linked (amusingly, what I had used originally). edit; I still don't think that crit change functions - unless RNg is just against me in this game. :/

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#pGaGyFkGGa8/m8x0/q Simply granting 5% more healing and using warden's Healing spray when able.
    I will parse the two specs some time today and compare crit rate.

Rift Chaser

If using a Cleric Tank instead of a Rogue Tank, then you don't really change much as a Sentinel, but the raid is more at the mercy of edge cases (triple stacks or 3 double stacks within 1:30).

A triple stack will almost certainly kill a Cleric tank since they don't have Defer Death and all Vigilances will probably be consumed before the last tick. However, you can reliably prepare for a series of double stacks 30s apart:

First double stack:
    - Puri uses Rite of the Forge
    - Tank uses Stellar Warding Potion on second-last tick, Sentinel uses Vigilance (Vigilance will likely proc on this one, if not then it covers the final tick)
    - Tank uses shielding trinket on final tick (this will cover the whole tick as long as the tank is topped off)

Second double stack:
    - Tank uses Resplendent Embrace at 9s on DoT timer
    - Renewed Altruism+Vigilance on second-last tick
    - Tank uses Just Defense on final tick

All of the above is in addition to the regular cooldown rotation described in the OP.

If you get a third double stack before Just Defense or Rite of the Forge resets, then a Cleric Tank is kinda screwed.
    Last edited by ginc; 02-06-2014 at 08:18 AM.
    Garbageday - mediocre Cleric Tank / Raid Lead for -Vendetta- (Greybriar) - 4/4 Rhen of Fate, 4/5 Mount Sharax

GDAAAY NOOOOO

dont wanna take anything from Ahov, this is a great guide (like all of his guides)

but isnt the 2 tanks-tactic way easier?
    i know plenty of guilds have killed her with 1 tank but i always felt its way harder and puts that much more pressure on the healers, which allready have to be kinda decent to do this
    Last edited by sculti; 02-06-2014 at 04:46 PM.
    sculzilla - cleric - 4/4 3/3 5/5 BoB: Greenscale/Akylios
    You Listening? You Hear That?
    Do Something. Do Something.

Rift Disciple

dont wanna take anything from Ahov, this is a great guide (like all of his guides)

but isnt the 2 tanks-tactic way easier?
    i know plenty of guilds have killed her with 1 tank but i always felt its way harder and puts that much more pressure on the healers, which allready have to be kinda decent to do this
    A few weeks ago there was a mix up and both chloros thought they were synthing the rogue tank... managed to kill boss but puri said not to do it again as he almost had a heart attack. Tank health seems much more stable in our 2 tank strat than I have seen in 1 tank videos, and I would have thought 2 tanks would be easier, but who knows a kill is a kill whatever works. Then again, it pretty easy to 2 tank volan and i believe most use 3, we have even technically 1 tanked it with cleric tank + 61 tact in tank gear taking fists though we just use cleric + rogue now as it is much less hassle and we easily meet enrage anyway.

i know plenty of guilds have killed her with 1 tank but i always felt its way harder and puts that much more pressure on the healers
    From a personal standpoint - I find 1 tank much much easier on healers, as we are all able to focus our powers on 1 person instead of having to bounce back n forth.
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, write guides on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    In all seriousness, we don't expect everyone to still be playing SFP

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    Intro

Inyr'kta is currently the only encounter where a full 61 Sentinel is considered viable, if not optimal.
    I am trying to get into healing as a cleric; I'm leveling as a druidicar which has been working well for me. I may just be blind or dumb, but I have not found a good guide to ease into a sentinel spec. I *initially* thought the one on riftscene was good but I'm not sure if it's too old; and it's a 61 senti spec, so seeing what you wrote above makes me question whether I should be getting used to that.

I've started hunkering down and dissecting how a senti / purifier build could work by analyzing the tree, but as always, a guide could show me something I don't know about the encounter world, which would be awesome.

SO I CONCLUDE with the token question; any advice for a newb trying to get into the healing game?

+ Reply to Thread