+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By TheDoomgiver
  • 2 Post By rnbwtrout

Thread: Guide to "the Exorcist" build (damage-oriented purifier, support role)

Telaran

Default Guide to "the Exorcist" build (damage-oriented purifier, support role)

Let me present you this damage-oriented purifier build:
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#n...90/mk9gEA8/q8w
    Inq(38)/Puri(28)/Ward(10).

Why this mix? My goal was to use this spec for soloing, providing steady damage output and healing as needed. The 28 points in Purifier are crucial, for we want to fully use Flame Lance (with Inflame) combined with Char, as the best DoT for Clerics. I won't argue that Vex can be actually made more powerful, but in this spec Char has a bit higher tooltip value. We also need our safety heal Latent Blaze and Sterilize together with Cauterizing Wave.
    The Inquisitor soul serves a good amount of general increase to damage (e.g. to Char: flat 46% with 15% crit and 30% resistance penetration), besides the soul bonus. From the Inquisitor abilities are these important: Armor of Awakening, Clinging Spirit, Spiritual Deficiency and probably Judicial Privilege. This build does not primarily use any life-based abilities.
    The third soul is more of your choice. Warden is a nice increase to both healing and damage, but i chose it because of the 5% Crit Chance passive (Riptide). I personally use Defiler, since it increases damage more, and provides additional group support in 1 weak link and more stable use of Shroud of Agony. Also viable are druid or shaman souls, cabalist less, but all are inferior to warden/defiler.

Rotation:
    The rotation is built upon maximizing the damage of Flame Lance (Inflame). That means, after every FL we need to wait 1s. Therefore we use mostly instant abilities.

In solo/duo situations, start with Bolt of Depravity (with pre-cast Fanaticism buff);
    (In group situations ignore the previous line) and follow with:
    Char;
    Flame Lance;
    Spiritual Deficience;
    Flame Lance;
    any other instant ability... you get the idea.
    As for your instant (and more situational) abilities choose from these:
    Char (damage over time);
    Vex (damage over time, minor heal, weaker than Char);
    Symbol of the Torch (absorption shield, debuff prevented);
    Healing Flare (your basic heal);
    Cauterize/Cauterizing Wave/Sterilize (curse removal, only if needed);
    Purge (enemy buff removal);
    or another DoT effect.

This rotation assures, that after 4 Flame Lances your DoTs are ready to be refreshed (counting with client/server/situation lag). In longer fights you will want to refresh your Clinging Spirit debuff. To do that, interrupt the rotation for a 2 Fire Lance duration and send a Bolt of Depravity (again best with Fanaticism), and two instant abilities. This should get you back to the normal rotation again.
    In case when more Area of Efect damage is needed, use primarily Soul Drain (effective even with 2 enemies, best at 4). Circle of Oblivion only if you need more continuous AoE damage.
    Ward of Flame is not useless. In cases when you need a lot of healing and are attacked (solo/duo) it serves better than Healing Flare.
    It is important, that you place a Symbol of the Torch on someone who gets attacked every 15 seconds. If you chose Defiler instead of Warden as tertiary soul, stay close to enemies, due to Shroud of Agony.

Buffs:
    Armor of Awakening, if not available, Armor of Devotion;
    Sign of Wrath;
    Caregiver's Blessing;
    Wisdom of the Ages;
    Shroud of Agony;
    Spiritual Protection;
    Latent Blaze (best on every group member, primarily tank/healer).

Macroes:
    I don't like macroes, and this build does not really need any, since the situation may need retargeting. It doesn't even use many abilities. But basically, it helps to use Flashover on every Latent Blaze and Fanaticism on cooldown for Bolt of Depravity or Soul Drain, and this might be macroed. Please don't ask me, how to do it.

This build is marked as support role, since it provides both damage and healing, which can be most helpful when grouped with a mage healer, for it uses single target heals only. I am not sure if the Sign buffs (Sign of Wrath, Sign of Anticipation, Sign of Daring) stack, but it's useful to heal or shield the tank every now and then, our Sign of Wrath can do steady damage. The spec brings debuffs for spell-users (if there isn't another Inquisitor Cleric already), dispelling mechanics, and backup healing.
    In solo situations it excels at surviving a bad pull (eventually escaping), and low downtime. When grouped with a partner, it provides great protection for pure dps classes.

Comment and criticize!

Can you provide dps parses, preferably with ACT or the breakdowns on the abilities with any dps meter please.
    True Server First Prime GP: Anrak the Foul & Guurloth
    4/5 GSB
    4/4 GP
    4/4 DH

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Burninalways View Post
    Can you provide dps parses, preferably with ACT or the breakdowns on the abilities with any dps meter please.
    I am sorry, I can not:
    1) I don't use dps meters;
    2) The build is not about to break dps records, nor compete for them.

But i can provide this: As of using this on my 60 (below Expert) Cleric, the regular mobs in Steppes of Infinity take aout 20-25seconds to take down.

Champion of Telara TheDoomgiver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kviki View Post
    I am sorry, I can not:
    1) I don't use dps meters;
    2) The build is not about to break dps records, nor compete for them.

But i can provide this: As of using this on my 60 (below Expert) Cleric, the regular mobs in Steppes of Infinity take aout 20-25seconds to take down.
    he doenst want to engage in an e-peen contest, he just wants to know whats the damage/healing breakdown of your build. knowing what hits most, we can then go about optimizing the build (ie, moving around points, changing skill cast order, etc)

EDIT : TL;DR : get a damage meter and submit the breakdown, FOR SCIENCE.
    Last edited by TheDoomgiver; 12-09-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Shadowlander

ok, love the name and idea of your build, but here's my take on it:

inquisitor:
    it's so easy to take "mental resilience" for +45% dmg to vex and saction heretic, i question the decision to not take it. what you give up in your current build to take "mental resilience": "excommunicate", "perseverance" and "determination"; all mostly pvp talents. this is a solo/support and not pvp build, right?

purifier:
    "flame speaker" - 5 points is extremely high for a +5% chance to crit for ONLY healing spells. the value would be much higher if it affected dps too, but it doesn't. the value would also be higher if this build was a primary healer where you spend a lot of time healing, but it isn't. the 5 points is much better spent higher up.

"clear the coals" - i question the decision to take this over "gesture of goodwill". once again, "clear the coals" only has value when you're a primary healer spamming heals. even then, the 10% rng makes the whole talent lackluster. on the other hand, a passive -6sec on burnout from "gestgure of goodwill" trumps in this build in every single way.

"fire wall" - it only takes 8 additional points to grab this spell. seems like one of the focus for the build is "inflame". i guarantee if you pick up "fire wall", which is enhanced by "inflame", your fun factor for this build will go up x10 times. what do you really gain by putting those 8 or 10 points in another soul? nothing compared to the dps, synergy and fun of "fire wall".

my suggested modifications to your build: 28 inq / 36 puri / 2 druid

it's a toss up between putting 3 points into "kindling" or "flare-up" in purifier. im a less-rng-is-more type of guy so i prefer the passive talents to rng talents. going deeper into purifier to grab "fire wall" also at the same time allows you to grab "symbol of the sun" and "ward of scorching" to make you a better support healer; win/win all around.

putting 2 points into druid will maximize your solo adventures. it's mainly to pick up "shield of oak". combine that with a shield from purifier and the times you have to heal yourself will dramatically decrease, which means more time to dps for a more effective solo outting.

adding "mental resilience" and "fire wall", if i had to guess, would probably double the dps you're putting out right now. also, creating a macro to auto-shield your group would make you a tons better support. for example, assuming you've shielded the tank manually, the macro below can be spammed 4 times without targetting anyone and you will shield your entire group in an xpert.

#show Symbol of the Torch
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @group01 Symbol of the Torch
    cast @group02 Symbol of the Torch
    cast @group03 Symbol of the Torch
    cast @group04 Symbol of the Torch
    cast @group05 Symbol of the Torch
    cast @group01 Symbol of the Sun
    cast @group02 Symbol of the Sun
    cast @group03 Symbol of the Sun
    cast @group04 Symbol of the Sun
    cast @group05 Symbol of the Sun

Telaran

Nice to see, that someone took an eye on the build, rnbwtrout.

Quote Originally Posted by rnbwtrout View Post
    inquisitor:
    it's so easy to take "mental resilience" for +45% dmg to vex and saction heretic, i question the decision to not take it. what you give up in your current build to take "mental resilience": "excommunicate", "perseverance" and "determination"; all mostly pvp talents. this is a solo/support and not pvp build, right?
    You are right, the build is solo/support, not really pvp. The point why i did not take Mental Resilience (now i see it's a great dps increase, if only for 1-2 spells) is, that Perserverance with Determination is nice protection of any CC that can come. I blamed myself so many times while in a chronicle for not having this buff currently on me. There, if I get CCed when my partner needs healing, because he is a dps warrior... Same would go for any disorient/silence/fear/anything except stun in a dungeon. Excommunicate is my only interrupt, if only for regular mobs, though on a long cooldown. Other use is to arrange casters, so you can AoE them better. I know, raw dps is much better almost always, these spells are about convenience and flexibility. If you know, you wont be moving pawns or always forget to get Perserverance up, a better choice is the 45% spellpower on 2 DoTs.

purifier:
    "flame speaker" - 5 points is extremely high for a +5% chance to crit for ONLY healing spells. the value would be much higher if it affected dps too, but it doesn't. the value would also be higher if this build was a primary healer where you spend a lot of time healing, but it isn't. the 5 points is much better spent higher up.
    I see you exchanged Flame Speaker for Intensity. The ONLY healing crit increase seems worthless, but flat healing increase is about the same. If you make your gear for having crit power, every percent of crit seems reasonable to me. A lucky crit makes you actually have to spend less time healing, as you are not healing consistently. I cannot really decide which is better. I made the build for crits, so I stayed at crit talents.

"clear the coals" - i question the decision to take this over "gesture of goodwill". once again, "clear the coals" only has value when you're a primary healer spamming heals. even then, the 10% rng makes the whole talent lackluster. on the other hand, a passive -6sec on burnout from "gestgure of goodwill" trumps in this build in every single way.
    I say Clear the Coals over Gesture of Goodwill. Last time in Archive of Flesh I queued as support, got a full Purifier healer. So I did not use my weak Symbols, that's his role. My Healing Flares for refreshing the Sign of Wrath kept proccing Clear the Coals pretty much. But with another healer, you would not use the reduced burnout duration does not help.Think: I save someone with the Symbol, now i either have to wait a long time before burnout falls, with a chance to remove it with Healing Flare, or have a set duration. But I don't need to heal these people consistently: once they take the damage spike, they usually know to stay out of the fire, or not (then not worth healing). Or, if your healer needs two shields in a row, something is wrong and my healing would not save the group.
    In solo/duo it is a bit questionable. Do I need less Burnout, or a chance to remove it completely? When healing takes place, the gro of healing makes up Healing Flare/Ward of Flame. The Symbol is meant to reduce initial damage, or give more time for healing the injuries back up. Here i would take Clear the Coals over Gesture of Goodwill again. More RNG, more happiness.

"fire wall" - it only takes 8 additional points to grab this spell. seems like one of the focus for the build is "inflame". i guarantee if you pick up "fire wall", which is enhanced by "inflame", your fun factor for this build will go up x10 times. what do you really gain by putting those 8 or 10 points in another soul? nothing compared to the dps, synergy and fun of "fire wall".
    Good point, i did not see this ability while making up build. I would take Flash of the Phoenix by the way too, and considering the fun factor ... just great . But in my original build i took the 10 points into third soul Defiler for the link, 10% wisdom and 5% to both damage and healing, while proccing Rage Blight and the soul bonus, that's pretty enough. In Purifier I gain like 25% healing, no damage increase considering your talents of choice, and another ability, of which I need 3 placements active. This takes damage from other spells, requires another 3GCDs, but gives good healing, and gives another option to AoE, so makes the build more variable. Good suggestion, and I consider it to change the build. We do it for fun not for numbers anyway.

my suggested modifications to your build: 28 inq / 36 puri / 2 druid
    going deeper into purifier to grab "fire wall" also at the same time allows you to grab "symbol of the sun" and "ward of scorching" to make you a better support healer; win/win all around.
    I first thought you reduced Inq to 28, which would make no sense. My points to the build are stated above, I don't think of this as a win/win. The increase in Symbol of the Sun is not that big, adds another ability to handle and Ward of Scorching eats a lot of mana, if I remember correctly. Two points in Druid are a fine choice, since Shield of Oak is oGCD.

adding "mental resilience" and "fire wall", if i had to guess, would probably double the dps you're putting out right now.
    I guess it would. In that case you would want to exchange Flame Lance for Fire Wall. Increase variability, increase healing, and make the build more fun. Thank you.

@TheDoomgiver: i would add another reason: 3) Between 2 and 8 fps in a fight, there is much lag between "i want to cast" and "i cast", so my dps would be just incorrect. Adding another usage of CPU, which apparently makes its best.
    You want to see the tooltips on my abilities? So it's like this: Bolt of Depravity: around 7k, Flame Lance 4,7k, Char 9,2k, Vex 7,5k. I don't remember healing values and AoEs. And from the numbers floating on enemies, much damage comes from Sign of Wrath and Shroud of Agony, especially when rifting.

+ Reply to Thread