Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Ahov's Warden Guide

Ascendant

Default Ahov's Warden Guide

Intro

Wardens are not the best general raid healers. LGV Chloromancers are the kings of efficiency, and offer higher raid dps and equivalent or better healing throughput than a Warden. However, Wardens can top off the entire raid with incredible cooldowns such as Monsoon and Wave of Renewal, and their true strength is derived from managing these cooldowns. Wardens have a strong mobility advantage, and most successful raids will bring at least one Warden to cover any Chloromancer's shortcomings.

Specs

61 Warden/11 purifier/4 Sentinel is your primary Warden spec. Flashover offers you a magnificent Wave of Renewal. Flame Speaker is chosen over Intensity due to how many additive healing modifiers we already have. At virtually any crit-chance/crit-modifier in a raid environment the 5% crit will outweigh 5% healing.

61 Warden/11 Purifier/4 Sentinel (8% SP) is a secondary spec providing better throughput for most abilities, but making it harder to use Healing Cataract and Overflowing Renewal. I don't recommend this spec unless you are on a fight where Healing Cataract is not very useful, such as Kyzan or Salvarola.

Buffs

Apply Bosun's Blessing (Warden) and Sign of Wrath (Purifier). Maintain Shared Excess (Warden) on yourself, since the tank has a much lower chance of being topped off and you may position yourself based on your skill radii.

Macros

Wave of Renewal

Code:
    #show Wave of Renewal
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast flashover
    cast Wave of Renewal
    Mana Regen (Cascade doesn't always fire off. To ensure it does, either wait a fraction of a second following GCD completion or move while casting it).

Code:
    #show cascade
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @self cascade
    cast Open Water
    Monsoon

Code:
    #show Monsoon
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast tidal surge
    cast monsoon
    Reactive AoE Heal

Code:
    #show Pool of Restoration
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast pool of restoration
    cast healing effusion
    Spot heal

Code:
    #show healing breath
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @mouseoverui healing breath
    cast @mouseoverui healing flare
    Self-cast Shared Excess

Code:
    #show Shared Excess
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @self Shared Excess
    Aoe Dispel (allows you to control the cleanse radius)

Code:
    #show Curative Waters
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @self Curative Waters
    ST dispel

Code:
    #show Cleansing Waters
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @mouseoverui Cleansing Waters
    DoT simplification

Code:
    #show Call of the Depths
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Call of the Depths
    cast Dehydrate
    Ripple

Code:
    #show ripple
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @self ripple
    cast @group4 ripple
    cast @group5 ripple
    cast @group7 ripple
    cast @group8 ripple
    cast @group9 ripple
    cast @group10 ripple
    cast @group12 ripple
    cast @group13 ripple
    cast @group14 ripple
    cast @group15 ripple
    cast @group17 ripple
    cast @group18 ripple
    cast @group19 ripple
    cast @group20 ripple
    Dangers of the Deep

Before you even consider the individual healing abilities, you must understand the Warden playstyle. With our eighth-tier talent Dangers of the Deep, damaging abilities add a stacking buff which improves our healing output by 3% and increases the duration of our hots by one second. This caps at five stacks. It is absolutely imperative to maintain this bonus so you are outputting the best possible healing when your raid needs it most.

Our damaging abilities include Call of the Depths, Dehydrate, Oversaturation and Geyser. The first two can be achieved with a macro provided above; when Call of the Depths is fired off, you are prevented from re-casting it on that target, which allows you to macro Dehydrate and successfully cast it with the same keybind. Oversaturation requires you to either have hots rolling on raid members or actively heal for its duration. It is recommended to fire it off last unless you just applied a heal-over-time ability to a raid member. Geyser does less damage-per-GCD than the other abilities, but is spammable and also offers a slight heal. You can use any of your damaging abilities to maintain Dangers of the Deep, but for maximum dps, and given the right opportunities, you will use all three dots along with Geyser. If your stacks are about to fall off and the raid isn't topped off, you can Geyser to output some healing simultaneously.

We can separate our heals into preemptive and reactive categories with moderate accuracy:

Preemptive
    Healing Spray
    Soothing Stream
    Orbs of the Tide
    Orbs of the Stream
    Healing Cataract
    Monsoon/Ripple*
    Healing Flood
    Symbol of the Torch

Reactive
    Overflowing Renewal*
    Healing Breath/Healing Flare
    Pool of Restoration
    Wave of Renewal*
    Downpour
    Healing Effusion

Skills marked * are usable in both situations but preferred usage is their main category.

Individual Heal Explanations

Healing Spray is an efficient one-gcd tank-heal for when you have little else to do. Don't stress yourself over maintaining it; your primary role is still raid healing. If you feel your gcd would be better spent regenerating some mana, then do so. If Healing Flood/Orbs are already active, HS on yourself is a little added Shared Excess healing potential for severe raid damage. Do not bother for minor damage, and do not prioritize over maintaining Dangers of the Deep.

Soothing Stream is an inefficient tank-heal and in most circumstances I would avoid it.

Orbs of the Tide is an effective preemptive raid heal, only limited by its short radius. Cast on the tank.

Orbs of the Stream is an excellent preemptive tank heal. Generally prioritize over Healing Breath.

Healing Cataract is considered primarily a preemptive heal because of two limiting factors: 1) its two-second cast time, and 2) its lower healing output compared to Healing Effusion. It can be useful in situations where you want maximum burst healing; this is achieved by beginning the Healing Cataract just over two seconds prior to raid damage, so that when the cast finishes you can top everyone off with this in addition to a more powerful reactive heal such as Pool of Restoration or Healing Effusion. You may also spam Healing Cataract as a mana-efficient alternative when there is moderate damage over the next few seconds. This can help you fill in a more Chloromancer-esque role in certain scenarios. For example, when Volan stomps the ground there is moderate damage which doesn't quite warrant Healing Effusions, but a few Healing Cataracts are a perfect complement to your Chloromancers. Another scenario is Crushing Implosion on the Planebreaker Abominus encounter: this meteor mechanic deals higher aoe damage over time, and using Effusion for each tick would prove very unhealthy to your mana pool.

Monsoon is your best preemptive heal and should be reserved for the worst of the raid damage. Ripple is best used directly following a Monsoon if you are in a 20-man raid. In a 10-man raid you should allow your hots to tick down until only a second or two remain; this extends the duration for five players so you essentially have 40s straight healing on them.

Healing Flood is a good decision when everyone is topped off and you are predicting raid damage in the near future. It applies the synergy crystal bonus and 10% increased incoming healing. However, keep in mind Healing Flood is limited with a short 23-meter radius.

Symbol of the Torch: Preferred over Healing Breath and Overflowing Renewal for tank or spot-healing, but only if there isn't a purifier alive with a more powerful version of the shield. Symbols apply the Burnout debuff, preventing other Symbols from being used on that target for twenty seconds.

Overflowing Renewal is your tank heal of last resort. If Healing Breath and Orbs of Stream have already been used and a tank-healer has died, you can spam this as a last-ditch effort to save the tank.

Healing Breath and Healing Flare are your reliable reactive spot heals. Not necessarily reserved for tanks, they are an efficient alternative to your aoe heals when the damage is limited to one player.

Pool of Restoration is your most efficient reactive aoe heal. Preferred over Healing Effusion, so you can prioritize it in the macro provided.

Wave of Renewal is your best reactive cooldown. Whether or not you were prepared for the damage, this skill will completely top off everyone within the initial 18-meter radius, and if you finish the channel it will heal your entire raid again, with a 38-meter radius.

Downpour is a clunky ability, limited not only by its healing radius but also susception to pushback. I don't recommend using it unless the raid is stacked and you are relatively low on mana.

Healing Effusion is often your last resort due to its high mana cost, but it is also a quite reliable reactive aoe heal. It is acceptable to use HE for unpredictable raid damage, which you feel cannot be healed in time with anything else outside of your major cooldowns (Monsoon/Wave of Renewal). It is also acceptable to manage your mana and use HE to quickly top people off if you predict downtime to regen mana, and the primary goal is to top people off quickly to prevent combo deaths. Sometimes you just need to burn through all of your mana to carry the healing when nothing else matters but surviving through one mechanic or phase.
    Last edited by Ahov; 01-03-2014 at 02:47 PM.

It says in your Wave of Renewal description to combine it with Tidal Surge, but in your macro it's with Flashover. Same thing with Monsoon that, in your macro, shows it combined with Tidal Surge, but it is not in the description.

Outside of that, I would like to know, what exactly are the + and - of this spec compared to the previous one you posted?

Also, should I put a macroed Wave of Renewal, an unmacroed Wave of Renewal, a macroed Monsoon and an unmacroed Monsoon in my actions bars, or only the macroed spells?
    Last edited by Yaarielle; 11-24-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Yaarielle View Post
    It says in your Wave of Renewal description to combine it with Tidal Surge, but in your macro it's with Flashover. Same thing with Monsoon that, in your macro, shows it combined with Tidal Surge, but it is not in the description.

Outside of that, I would like to know, what exactly are the + and - of this spec compared to the previous one you posted?

Also, should I put a macroed Wave of Renewal, an unmacroed Wave of Renewal, a macroed Monsoon and an unmacroed Monsoon in my actions bars, or only the macroed spells?
    There were some remnants of my old guide that I cleaned up. Thanks for mentioning.

Tidal surge is used primarily with monsoon, not WoR.

The benefits of this spec over the old sent/inq include a better Wave of Renewal via Flashover, sign of wrath (negligible), healing flare (negligible), and similar throughput. Having a more powerful Wave of Renewal while still keeping Tidal Surge for Monsoon can really help you push through intense healing moments.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Yaarielle View Post

You can macro flashover with wave of renewal since it is the only spell warden has that is really worth force critting.

Don't macro tidal surge - it works well with a lot of abilities and you should be actively picking and choosing when and what to use it on. It's cooldown is very low on fights where you have downtime to spam dps abilities, so you can use it often.
    Last edited by THEFUNKBOT; 11-24-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    Tidal surge is used primarily with monsoon, not WoR.
    That's what I said. According to your macro, Tidal Surge is used primarily with Monsoon, but it is not in the description of Monsoon like Flashover should be in the description of Wave of Renewal (according to the Wave of Renewal macro) instead of Tidal Surge (but now it's removed so I guess it's okay).
    Last edited by Yaarielle; 11-24-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Shouldn't this new guide have a preset name, you did it for inq even though you had over 100k views (gratz).

Do you recommend using more CP in a core over SP, cus how you have influenced crits to be important, when using warden.
    For the less geared who are not at 1196cp which is cp hard cap.

Though do you suggest that new 60s with no cp should use the old spec, then once they reach say 400cp (what you should have for t1s) should switch to this spec for more hps.

Also theirs no Karuulalert which would be nice to see, for who can't maintain their stacks of DotD & SS.

And can you add a hps parse from ACT for new people to see what they should be looking to achieve to get max healing out of their warden rotations.
    True Server First Prime GP: Anrak the Foul & Guurloth
    4/5 GSB
    4/4 GP
    4/4 DH

Soulwalker

Very interesting, Flashover + Wave of renawal is certainly handy on many occasions.

As a (mainspec) healer, i always go for spellpower over crit power for reliable steams of healing vs topping hps.
    Which makes me wonder if those 5points in crit are really worth it, 5/5 intensity is roughly +2.5% effective healing (taken from tooltips, unbuffed).
    At 0 critpower, 5% crit is completely even with 2.5% effective healing in terms of hps while being more spread out.

Also, i find this macro to be quite useful if near the raid:
    Code:
    #show Downpour
    target <your character name>
    cast Tidal Surge
    cast @gtae Downpour
    targetlasttarget
    With tidal surge, Downpour has a higher hps than spamming effusions. And with damaging abilities reducing the tidal surge CD by 3 seconds, it generally feels available without delaying Monsoon too much.
    Last edited by Lightforger8; 11-24-2013 at 04:42 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Burninalways View Post
    Shouldn't this new guide have a preset name, you did it for inq even though you had over 100k views (gratz).
    Eh may as well.

Do you recommend using more CP in a core over SP, cus how you have influenced crits to be important, when using warden.
    For the less geared who are not at 1196cp which is cp hard cap.
    I will probably recommend a CP core just because you're going to be close enough to that threshold on average crit rate that SP gear is about equivalent to CP gear, and for when you're DPSing the CP gear becomes notably more powerful, so there's not really a reason to get a full SP core.

Though do you suggest that new 60s with no cp should use the old spec, then once they reach say 400cp (what you should have for t1s) should switch to this spec for more hps.
    I ran scenarios with low cp values and the 5% crit still outweighed 5% healing.

Also theirs no Karuulalert which would be nice to see, for who can't maintain their stacks of DotD & SS.
    As I don't use Kaalert, I cannot comment.

And can you add a hps parse from ACT for new people to see what they should be looking to achieve to get max healing out of their warden rotations.
    Warden isn't about imitation unless I would post a video of each fight (and even then, lots of variables can change from each time you engage that boss). An ACT parse wouldn't do the spec justice; instead, people should use what I've written here in the guide and apply it to each individual fight. I've offered some good guidelines on which abilities to prioritize, but how often each ability is used will vary.

You forgot the part where one equips a shield and queues soleyly for Black Garden.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    [URL="http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#qkGGyGEGGl4/mk2/pf"]

We can separate our heals into preemptive and reactive categories with moderate accuracy:

Preemptive
    Healing Spray
    Soothing Stream
    Orbs of the Tide
    Orbs of the Stream
    Healing Cataract
    Monsoon/Ripple*
    Healing Flood
    Symbol of the Torch

Reactive
    Overflowing Renewal*
    Healing Breath/Healing Flare
    Pool of Restoration
    Wave of Renewal*
    Downpour
    Healing Effusion

Skills marked * are usable in both situations but preferred usage is their main category.
    Thx for the great guide, Ahov. I' think it would be a nice addition to the text passage above, to include the range of the aoe heals. I'll often notice that some wardens dont pay attention wether the raid is stacked or spread out and consequently use the wrong heals.

Spoiler!
    Last edited by Burninalways; 12-05-2013 at 08:59 AM.
    True Server First Prime GP: Anrak the Foul & Guurloth
    4/5 GSB
    4/4 GP
    4/4 DH

Soulwalker

What do you think about change one point from Flame Speaker to Caregiver's Blessing?

Exploring my combat logs, It represents 10% of absorbs approx. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd like to know your opinion.

Here an example:

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by hoheiky View Post
    What do you think about change one point from Flame Speaker to Caregiver's Blessing?

Exploring my combat logs, It represents 10% of absorbs approx. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd like to know your opinion.

Here an example:
    Because it doesn't stack with Bosun's blessing. You are losing a TON of healing by using caregivers.

Soulwalker

You're right. Thanks for the reply.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Burninalways View Post
    Sorry about the guide, first in this thread and now making my own guide; I would rather let you do warden.
    I don't know if you reported it or a rift mod just came across it.

The original post was a breakdown of what a warden's hps should look like, then i thought about how people don't know about doing max healing without a rotation and then trying to make it easier with an Karuulalert code.
    Warping it into guide within a guide.

Still Sorry about it all.
    Here is an example of a Warden breakdown in a higher-stress environment (solo-healing Kyzan):

Code:
    TYPE                            DAMAGE     ENCDPS     DPS        AVERAGE   MEDIAN  MINHIT  MAXHIT  RESIST   HITS   SWINGS  TOHIT   CRIT%  
    All                             1,732,508  11,627.57  11,035.08  520.12    0       0       28,328  All      3,331  3,331   100.00  34%    
    Healing Effusion                429,880    2,885.10   2,964.69   3,137.81  3,043   0       12,950  Unknown  137    137     100.00  45%    
    Pool of Restoration             234,009    1,570.53   1,695.72   1,125.04  0       0       4,888   Unknown  208    208     100.00  32%    
    Wave of Renewal                 218,940    1,469.40   2,958.65   4,975.91  0       0       28,328  Unknown  44     44      100.00  59%    
    Healing Spray                   159,040    1,067.38   1,012.99   369.86    0       0       4,744   Unknown  430    430     100.00  40%    
    Bosun's Blessing                139,308    934.95     947.67     317.33    0       0       1,782   Unknown  439    439     100.00  46%    
    Shared Excess                   131,093    879.82     868.17     512.08    321     0       7,339   Unknown  256    256     100.00  31%    
    Soothing Stream                 109,591    735.51     788.42     292.24    0       0       7,479   Unknown  375    375     100.00  37%    
    Healing Flood                   83,515     560.50     600.83     142.03    0       0       1,892   Unknown  588    588     100.00  35%    
    Orbs of the Stream              78,778     528.71     691.04     8,753.11  7,916   0       18,799  Unknown  9      9       100.00  56%    
    Orbs of the Tide                73,736     494.87     670.33     1,134.40  0       0       4,209   Unknown  65     65      100.00  51%    
    Geyser                          54,146     363.40     384.01     137.08    0       0       2,492   Unknown  395    395     100.00  32%    
    Guardian of the True Ascension  9,532      63.97      63.97      54.47     0       0       3,722   Unknown  175    175     100.00  0%     
    Hum of the Hive Mind            5,876      39.44      40.52      57.61     0       0       342     Unknown  102    102     100.00  0%     
    Mending Breeze                  3,715      24.93      26.73      106.14    0       0       833     Unknown  35     35      100.00  0%     
    Unknown/Absorbed                844        5.66       0.00       844.00    844     844     844              1      1       100.00  0%     
    Creeping Remedy                 505        3.39       3.58       7.11      0       0       317     Unknown  71     71      100.00  0%     
    Healing Breath                  0          0.00       0.00       0.00      0       0       0       Unknown  1      1       100.00  0%
    This isn't to be replicated on every fight, but more to show that Healing Effusion is used a lot more often than Healing Cataract in scenarios where you actually need the Warden. Most "passive" healing can be provided by the chloromancers.
    Last edited by Ahov; 12-04-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast