+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cabalist/Defiler

Soulwalker

Default Cabalist/Defiler

Cabalist/Purifier/Defiler 51/5/20.
    http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmoIsltqAMdc0sRqvVvix0xzb

So I've been playing around with this combination of souls and it feels pretty strong. Here's the main advantages of this spec as I see it;

- +30% Wisdom
    - Very good ability to heal and absorb with Foul Growth, Husk of Indiference etc.
    - Curse of Discord, Shadow's Touch and Dark Water are the main damaging abilities of this spec and can be greatly buffed with various talents in the Cabalist tree, ie. +10% critical hit chance, +15% damage etc.
    - Excellent Crowd Control with ie. Sigil of Ruin (30m AoE stun) and Sigil of Secrecy (30m AoE silence and interrupt).

So what do you guys think, critique is welcome
    Last edited by CapM; 11-18-2013 at 02:49 AM.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by CapM View Post
    Cabalist/Purifier/Defiler 51/5/20.
    http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmoIsltqAMdc0sRqvVvix0xzb

So I've been playing around with this combination of souls and it feels pretty strong. Here's the main advantages of this spec as I see it;

- +30% Wisdom
    - Very good ability to heal and absorb with Foul Growth, Husk of Indiference etc.
    - Curse of Discord, Shadow's Touch and Dark Water are the main damaging abilities of this spec and can be greatly buffed with various talents in the Cabalist tree, ie. +10% critical hit chance, +15% damage etc.
    - Excellent Crowd Control with ie. Sigil of Ruin (30m AoE stun) and Sigil of Secrecy (30m AoE silence and interrupt).

So what do you guys think, critique is welcome
    Thanks for posting this, if you want more feedback or more people to give your build a try I would suggest you follow some of the examples of other rift guide writer's on here and expand a lot on your build. Include things like macro's, rotations, how this compares to other builds, where you would typically use this build...things like this will go a long way in getting your build out to the public and making people want to try it. As it stands now all you've done is listed some of the abilities, the spec, and listed a couple of it's strength's (relative as you don't give any comparison's to other builds strength's)

Plane Touched

How do you plan to use this spec? PvE solo questing? Warfronts? CQ? Dungeon/Raids as support?

I have two different builds based on a combination of Cabalist and Defiler, try these and see what you think.

48 CAB / 15 INQ / 13 DEF

This one is great for CQ, busy/crowded warfronts like Whitefall Steppes, and trash packs in Dungeons/Raids/Rifts/Invasions. The AoE damage is superb, and the Sigils are really helpful for various types of crowd control.

My second build is very close to this Swiss Army Knife build, and for much of the same reasons. I actually use 38 DEF / 38 CAB / 0 PUR where I've moved around a few points in DEF and CAB and taken 0-point Purifier only to get the absorb.
    This is ideal for Solo PvE. The husk takes all your damage, you only have a percentage back on you. And when you heal the husk, you get an absorb for yourself (note: this no longer works for absorbs on the husk). Cast the absorb and HoT on the husk at the start, then periodically recast the HoT to keep the husk up and refresh your absorb.
    Use Obliterate to use CAB skills as ST when necessary.
    This is also great to queue as SUPPORT for dungeons. You have three links, spot heals, some (but not all) of the sigils of the build up above, and a BREZ.

If you're contemplating using these in a group setting where you don't need to worry about healing, the second build surprisingly does a bit more damage when using a normal CAB AoE rotation. DEF's +20% death damage is a huge bonus to all of CAB's death-related skills. The first is better, but more complicated, for straight ST fights - but neither one is great ST. If you know you need ST just switch to an INQ-based build.

You'll note that I'm not putting any points into a non-DPS soul in either build. It's just not worth it. If you want more wisdom, rearrange some CAB points. If you want more Spell Power, use Inq. You lose enough from the soul bonus to be noticeable.

Plane Touched

Slight update, I like this 38-38 build better:
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#m/E8Exg4he/Uk9p9894g

I haven't tried a build exactly like this but when I first came back when F2P came out, I used a high cab build before I got defiler and it felt strong but once I bought defiler, I just prefer the AoE mechanic it brings. I use a build that is 51 Def/21 Cab/4 Inq, for Unholy Nexus. Basically, the difference between these two is Disintegrate vs UN. For very quick fights with generic trash mobs, Disintegrate is highly effective. But to me, it seems like UN is more effective if you are fighting less than 8 mobs and/or if they have more than 80k health or so (ie Chronicles or Hive type areas with 200k mobs.) Since I have made the build, I haven't tested higher cab again but it just seems like more damage and survivability for longer AoE fights (unless you are doing invasions I find it infrequent to actually gather up 8 mobs...for most situations 4-6 is more feasible).

To me it just seems like more than 28 pts in Cab is a waste (because Obliterate isn't enough of a help for ST damage to bother with) and 38 pts in Defiler is more than you need for the basic survival stuff but not enough for UN.

I guess the last factor which I am not taking into account is the 20% death damage from Defiler. I think perhaps I didn't go high enough in defiler with my old cab build to get that previously. Is that combo'd with Disintegrate enough to push it past Unholy Nexus?

Sigh sorry I am an idiot. I was replying not to the OP but the posts of builds of 38 cab/38 defiler.

To the OP, I don't really understand a build with 20 pts in Defiler but no Beacon. Is this a dungeon support build where you can put a link on a tank to help reduce damage and use husk to mitigate? Otherwise, in solo play it's a waste?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyShadow View Post
    Slight update, I like this 38-38 build better:
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#m/E8Exg4he/Uk9p9894g
    I have been playing with similar builds. I was trying to recapture the joy of the original Cabicar builds(IE pull lots of stuff at once then watch all go boom with TOD + BF + Disintegrate).

With that in mind, you may want to consider throwing a point into Siphon Vitality. It is an extra dot, and it triggers Cardial Conversion.

So I go into an area, drop beacon, start pulling with Siphon Vitality, then once I have pulled enough mobs, Tyranny of Death->Bound Fate->Disintegrate. If you have pulled enough mobs, then nothing should survive, but it something does, TOD + BF Spam or single target rotations should be enough to finish them off.

The downside is that you really need to be level 42(28 cab/27 def) or so before this build really starts to shine(Beacon + Support talents + Disintegrate)

It makes for a good AoE grinding spec, The best part of this build is making 2+ invasions die at the same time in a TOD chain reaction.

Here is the build I am ultimately working towards for my solo spec.
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#Ek9ghk4g/Uv2GkB1h4/n

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jungo15 View Post
    I haven't tried a build exactly like this but when I first came back when F2P came out, I used a high cab build before I got defiler and it felt strong but once I bought defiler, I just prefer the AoE mechanic it brings. I use a build that is 51 Def/21 Cab/4 Inq, for Unholy Nexus. Basically, the difference between these two is Disintegrate vs UN. For very quick fights with generic trash mobs, Disintegrate is highly effective. But to me, it seems like UN is more effective if you are fighting less than 8 mobs and/or if they have more than 80k health or so (ie Chronicles or Hive type areas with 200k mobs.) Since I have made the build, I haven't tested higher cab again but it just seems like more damage and survivability for longer AoE fights (unless you are doing invasions I find it infrequent to actually gather up 8 mobs...for most situations 4-6 is more feasible).

To me it just seems like more than 28 pts in Cab is a waste (because Obliterate isn't enough of a help for ST damage to bother with) and 38 pts in Defiler is more than you need for the basic survival stuff but not enough for UN.

I guess the last factor which I am not taking into account is the 20% death damage from Defiler. I think perhaps I didn't go high enough in defiler with my old cab build to get that previously. Is that combo'd with Disintegrate enough to push it past Unholy Nexus?
    Something I noticed while playing with builds is the 36 point root abiility for cab. Makes your AoE abilities single target. At that point BF, TOD, and Disintegrate becomes useful on single targets.

+ Reply to Thread