+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 61 Warden, an unconventional build!

Default 61 Warden, an unconventional build!

Ok, so. I love Warden. I've tried the "ideal" 61 Warden build, messed with it, and went through several iterations. What I finally settled on seemed like it would be worse, but apparently it's not.

61 Warden/12 JUSTICAR/3 Sentinel

Yeah! Justicar!

Keep in mind, this build is intended for 5 mans. I have not tested it on raids to see if it would be ideal.

I won't bother to provide an in depth explanation or macros with this build, because it's very similar to Ahov's 61 Warden.

Maintain 5 stacks of Dangers of the Deep. This gives you 15% more healing and 5 seconds added to your Heal over Time spells (HoT). Cast Shared Excess on yourself.

Salvation and Righteous Mandate usually do at least 10% of my HPS, sometimes 20%.

Soothing Stream x4 does about 25% of my HPS, Healing Spray does 15%, Healing Flood 10%.

Basically most of the time you're going to be using Geyser, until you have to refresh your HoT's, or using a larger heal. I save Bolt of Radiance when the tank is at least less than 80% health, since it does a significantly larger heal through Salvation. (Around 2K)

Most of the time, this build will keep your tank alive, and allow you to easily keep the group alive (unless someone is taking massive damage and dies within 3-5 seconds).

There are some situations, like the adds past the first boss in Empyrean Core, where you'll need to switch to 61 Purifier or Sentinel. Because the adds do ridiculous damage.

But mostly I try to use this build, because I think it's fun. I like seeing all the HoT and heal procs go off, Geyser, Bosun's, Shared Excess, Salvation, Soothing Stream, Healing Spray, Healing Flood, Orbs of the Stream, etc. Lots of heal spam.

61 Warden is a risky spec to use for healing in 5 mans, very much for new players that lack the spell power.

It requires that you keep an eye on the stacks and fall off times, and when it comes to healing the tank after damage it doesn't quickly bring the health back up, it slowly tries to compensate for the damage done.

Most of the time it requires a good tank that when their health drops to use a cooldown every time or risk that killing blow. As there are no cooldowns that you can provide, other than spreading the hots to the rest of the party which is still no good for the tank.

Hybrids of Sentinel and Warden are preferred if you want to use Warden, so like an example would be going 46/30, where you still miss out on all the top cooldowns for tank healing but you still gain more aoe healing for when the rest of the party takes damage.

The easiest spec for new players to use is 61 Sentinel and just dip into Warden as one of the sub souls for it's aoe heal.

I will certainly say that every player should have a 61 Warden spec, just not to do tank healing with.

I have also seen players try to use 61 Warden for healing in PvP when their the only healer in the raid, it's gets very bad as causes a slow painful wipe in the end.
    Last edited by Burninalways; 08-28-2013 at 05:28 AM.
    True Server First Prime GP: Anrak the Foul & Guurloth
    4/5 GSB
    4/4 GP
    4/4 DH

Soulwalker

I have leveled a 61 warden spec up to 49 right now and find it difficult to deal with any sudden damage. HOT are always refreshed and kept up and use most of what's great about the spec but unforseen amounts of high damage completely destroys me. I'll have to do some research and test a few other builds out to see what works best.

I really hope new players don't come in here and think using this build in dungeons is a good idea. Most of them already lack experience and gear to adequately heal with proper 5-man instance builds, and this isn't going to help.
    Retired; 11/23/13 - Good luck, all.

Soulwalker

it's definitely doable, and preferred in a few fights. It's just that all warden's aoe heals are locked for 10 people, so you are getting a lot less value out of them in experts. if they get a 30-50% increase when you are only healing 5 people i might feel better about it.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Sebhael View Post
    I really hope new players don't come in here and think using this build in dungeons is a good idea. Most of them already lack experience and gear to adequately heal with proper 5-man instance builds, and this isn't going to help.
    That's the kind of thinking that we don't need in an MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Arishem View Post
    That's the kind of thinking that we don't need in an MMO.
    Actually we do. Advising new players to heal PuG dungeons with warden is terribly misleading. If they want to try it out in a group of people they know that is another thing.

Soulwalker

Hi,

For me Warden =

- Conquest
    - Raid 10 and 20.
    - Scion BG

I only use this spec in those places.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    Actually we do. Advising new players to heal PuG dungeons with warden is terribly misleading. If they want to try it out in a group of people they know that is another thing.
    Like I said, it won't always work for SL experts. I actually managed to keep the tank alive at the entrance to Unhallowed Boneforge with 3-4 adds at once. But I've had some tanks where they do a pull like that and they die in 2 hits.

If you and/or the tank are undergeared, this build won't work for you. But then again if that's the case, no healing build will probably be enough and you'll need support. In which case, you might as well stick with Warden/Justicar as your combined healing should be enough.

BTW don't forget that Wave of Renewal is a great tank heal, mine crits for around 25K, then it collapses and hits again for the potential of criting for another 25K. With only a 1 min cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by Altira View Post
    Like I said, it won't always work for SL experts. I actually managed to keep the tank alive at the entrance to Unhallowed Boneforge with 3-4 adds at once. But I've had some tanks where they do a pull like that and they die in 2 hits.

If you and/or the tank are undergeared, this build won't work for you. But then again if that's the case, no healing build will probably be enough and you'll need support. In which case, you might as well stick with Warden/Justicar as your combined healing should be enough.

BTW don't forget that Wave of Renewal is a great tank heal, mine crits for around 25K, then it collapses and hits again for the potential of criting for another 25K. With only a 1 min cooldown.
    You, managed to do such things. The problem I'm faced with, and why I'm so invested in this thread is that we have a slew of new members joining RIft - and this guide is misleading.

Overgeared members can easily do whatever they please, especially if they have overgeared other roles. It's as simple as that. I can heal 5 mans in Chloro/Harb, would you see me doing that on a pure 4/5 dungeon random queue - oh hell no. If I'm with my guildmates, or join one of those 'lfg geared X for random queue', then sure.

I really don't care what you do in that situation, but you have to understand that the way you promoted this build - says it's K for all levels. A great Warrior tank that's queuing solo wouldn't (I hope) run RoughRaptors WL/Pali Tank build - and as someone who tanks on 3 different characters - I'd hope my healer didn't think 61 Warden would be good for our PuG run of the instance.

This guide is great, actually - but it needs to be restrictive to specific gear/skill levels. It can't just be here for grabs for new players looking for a new dungeon healing spec.
    Retired; 11/23/13 - Good luck, all.

I actually ran a build like this one way back when I hit 60, in zone events. It's pretty neat.
    That said, when I tank getting 4 stacks of Soothing Stream in the beginning makes me worried. :s

Quote Originally Posted by Sebhael View Post
    You, managed to do such things. The problem I'm faced with, and why I'm so invested in this thread is that we have a slew of new members joining RIft - and this guide is misleading.

This guide is great, actually - but it needs to be restrictive to specific gear/skill levels. It can't just be here for grabs for new players looking for a new dungeon healing spec.
    A big part of Rift is learning what your calling can do, the potential of each soul under various circumstances, which in turn allows you to create builds that work best for what you're doing and what you're capable of (all things considered).

There's another guide here, 41 Warden/20 Sentinel/15 Purifier. It also depends on Warden for most of the healing, with Healing Flare/Healing Breath/Symbol, from Sent/Puri.

In my opinion, my build improves upon that build. It's also intended for 5 mans. My guildmates actually brought my attention to that build, at which point I played around with different versions and settled on 61 Warden/20 Justicar/0 Sentinel.

Here's why:
    Righteous Mandate + Salvation + Geyser + Bosun's + Shared Excess >= Symbol of the Torch, BUT conserves 1 GCD.

I gain Monsoon, which is very useful when HoT rotaiton is missed (which can result in death).
    I gain Wave of Renewal which is a massive tank/group heal every 1 minute.
    I gain Cascade which is very useful in longer fights when I typically run out of mana (which you are sure to do, spamming Healing Flare with that other build!)

Bosun's also triggers Shared Excess which combined, adds to health with each cast of Geyser. Which makes up for the loss in Healer's Blessing buff. Salvation and Righteous Mandate also makes up for the loss in healing% spent in Sentinel or Purifier, IMO.

Just had a 61 Warden heal me through all of Expert Empyrean Core with no support, that had a mix of blues and purples (even some mage gear).

The group was lucky that I was a 66K Cleric Tank that knew my spec and all the fights.
    I even got them RA at a time 25 mins 49s with a dps that didn't know the fights and pretty low dps through out the expert.

But still I don't wont to carry more groups with a 61 Warden as the Main Healer.
    Last edited by Burninalways; 08-29-2013 at 08:24 AM.
    4/5 GSB
    4/4 GP
    4/4 DH

Quote Originally Posted by Burninalways View Post

But still I don't wont to carry more groups with a 61 Warden as the Main Healer.
    Maybe that was a bit too harsh.
    4/5 GSB
    4/4 GP
    4/4 DH

Quote Originally Posted by Altira View Post

This is a false dichotomy. There is a huge range where your tank will survive easily if you are in 61 sent, but will not survive if you are in a warden based build. Even with severely undergeared tanks you should not need support in sentinel unless you are very undergeared and uncertain with the spec as well.

Purifier can also serve as an effective healer for undergeared tanks now especially since it is a better tank healer than before the changes, on top of the mitigation it provides giving you a buffer to heal up the tank or group.

I am not trying to say your build/methods are bad, just that I don't wish to see new players struggle with it in groups with people they don't know when there are more effective options to try.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 08-29-2013 at 10:05 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast