+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: [2.3] The Ultimate Shaman Karuul Alert Guide *updated*

Post [2.3] The Ultimate Shaman Karuul Alert Guide *updated*

INTRO

I wrote this guide because I hate inquisitor, I hate pets, and Im lazy! This alert makes Shaman a breeze.

This guide has two main purposes:
    1. This is a guide to help beginners learn the shaman rotation.
    2. This guide will also help more advanced players perform better in a raid environment.

What this guide is not for:
    1. If you have already mastered shaman this guide will not give you the higher dps on the dummy
    To sum it up in a nutshell, this guide is a Karuul Alert set that will tell you what button you should probably push next to obtain the highest dps possible.

Things you'll need

First, the spec: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/0mryqVvlgutIdRIRGkfzvVV
    61 Shaman - Duh
    5 Inq - Spellpower and a crit buff, whats not to like?
    10 Druid - 10% to instants, 10% wisdom
    Second, and most importantly, you'll need Karuul Alert addon http://www.curse.com/addons/rift/karuulalert

SETUP

Buffs you should have up at all times: Put them somewhere
    • Furious Assault - 1s GCD
    • Courage of the Panther - 10% damage, 5% penetration (tee hee)
    • Courage of the Eagle 5% Wisdom
    • Courage of the Bear 5% Endurance
    • Heart of the Frozen Sea - 65 resists
    • Glory of the Chosen - a crap version of salvation
    • Armor of Devotion - 5% crit chance
    • Vengeances - see situational below

Situational Skills: Keep these within reach at all times
    • Vengeance: Swap as needed during combat
      • Vengeance of the Winter Storm - Must be active for ST damage or 2 mob AoE
      • Vengeance of the Primal North - Must be active for AoE damage with 3 or more mobs.
    • Ageless Ice - use this as needed to recover mana (note: it slows you)
    • Ride the Lightning - I use it just for fun, it's pretty useless because it's usually faster to just run to the boss if you get a disconnect.
    • Windwalk - Use during movement phases, disconnects, and to escape angry mobs (very useful!)
    • Shield of Oak - I use it with windwalk to get places even faster or when I know Im about to take some damage in a raid to give the healers a break.
    • Bitter Wind - An interrupt, use liberally.
    • No Pet - Don't ever pull a low level druid pet out, we will all laugh at you when you pull the boss from a mile away.
    MACROS

Macros and Skills to put on your hotkeys:
    Physical macro - Alert hotkey #5
    #show Massive Blow
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Massive Blow
    cast Combined Effort
    cast Crushing Blow
    cast Ekkehard's Grasp
    cast Vex
    Non-Physical macro - Alert hotkey #4
    #show Frozen Wrath
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Frozen Wrath
    cast Glacial Strike
    cast Jolt
    cast Icy Blow
    cast Ekkehard's Grasp
    cast Vex

Cooldown macro - Alert hotkey #8
    #show Rage of the North
    cast Rage of the North
    cast Deep Freeze

Other Hotkeys
    Lightning Hammer - Alert hotkey #1
    Rush of Strength - Alert hotkey #2
    Eruption of Life - Alert hotkey #shift-4
    Vex - Alert hotkey #7
    Avalanche Strike - no alert
    Strike of the Maelstrom - no alert
    Alert Set:

Code:
    KA::AgUCFeNrFVttu4jAQ/ZX8AGzsOHEiP+Xmvag3tWz3pVJkwBCrIYkc05ZqP34nKaWlFBQqpFX
    ABNuamXM8Z8a38olhNmJ1IVZSD43Qc2kYYhzmRuwWVkOe+NwmkUODOKEwMuR2Gziz4blWM8MSYcS
    3u98/78RYFcqsMjWpyubuQT4Np9OGUdtmlLjMpUPvZUBDDDYoi9OLUXoNr/BprTl253czPeo8Ycb
    /nql5bkpVzq0fYrGQmpG9UW+2stBDmBPkRF4ckjj17f6xN7lYiHJQtLbAVJZ3Xg/CQUfA+V6IiRI
    F8zYoumMYwfJ6yboxWt1L4D8Og5jbUeC6QYwRAbv9IORCjyF0qTMty2kLoilEk2fiIArSE4UNKBI
    pa4trKZ/lZ0jeLwMM7mM3ppgjmjou7w2jFlrMq3LwKFZZNcsW1bI0QpXZ5AUG9TsYxIHou8EeQoo
    y/3MY/HW6++etcVzlq0ZN4DjQGwi0BsF11ZixMrLNppi6nhM4yMdhRLYh3IeF1IaphZjL5i5cajG
    AcLoQXY9RDNzaeEjWo91xvfE7urx6H2774P3hXoMLq5pZJpfWRaVN/pH8NqbdTaBk7Mcp8mjgedQ
    Pae8jaGqllalmE71sxFRqfDrqN/TibfL5UeQfCn4sRWMW8JV6MNdSwG82qXRdwXuRgcjVTDZGGFW
    V2fgr0uCfSeNcNI16kFZUVI/M3dXG1nrIQd+YhF6U+shJIr//yeTV5P5RPEgsts7kY+juEapOL8+
    Ys7e6pnpZt1y1uXUG1EHwYZDSgCZOwEnstRW2b5EdQ4WSU6NFjQ4Sf5ODkcEu/XgHA17X119VYXZ
    pH7FuPuRRCjIkxE1930v8tDfdr+0AnayEvmU4/nrtOXH6H5dDn+v6PLIehTLv2vSmMv3X1G+f3dO
    gr5V12eRtYkPvleUcaqazq9ydPaFDbIIdN6FwU0pDFPWGYOSiBvKzet0HMpCCam8u2eogJHxEgp2
    LuZp8rK38JI3No3RPY3txuq+r7RPCsyytP1oApfRj1ozY1nrIU9dOHBvHtuMjFx1xKc2rYtUsADY
    5lYb/AQl7Vro
    INSTRUCTIONS for setup
    Step 1) Install Karuul alert and type /kalert (I suggest making a macro with /kalert so you dont have to type it all the time)
    Step 2) Then go to File > Import Set and copy/paste the karuul alert set from above
    Step 2b) OPTIONAL: Disable EoL and/or Vex alerts to make it simpler to learn if you desire. You will lose a few hundred DPS but will make the rotation easier to learn. Vex is the more beneficial of those 2 alerts if you want to choose only one.
    Step 3) Open up the alerts one at a time with a double click. Adjust the Text: field in the upper right hand corner to match your hotkeys that you put the macros/abilities on. The numbers on my macros above correspond to each alert that they go with, make sure they match up. EX: if the physical macro #5 is now on hotkey #2 you'll need to change every alert text that says "5" to a "2".
    Step 4) change the X and Y coordinates if needed (I dont suggest moving them by hand)
    [2.3] The Ultimate Shaman Karuul Alert Guide *updated*-2013-08-25_174402.jpg

ROTATION

ST Combat:
    Step 1) Make sure Vengeance of the Winter Storm is active
    Step 2) Start with cooldowns, press the cooldown macro twice
    Step 3) Open with Frozen wrath -> Massive Blow.
    Step 4) Once you're using your abilities, you'll see the indicator that will tell you which skill to use next shifting back and forth between physical and non-physical attacks. Which ever ability is highlighted is the number you press.
    Step 5) press buttons -> win

[2.3] The Ultimate Shaman Karuul Alert Guide *updated*-screen1.jpg
    [2.3] The Ultimate Shaman Karuul Alert Guide *updated*-screen2.jpg

AoE Rotation:
    Step 1) Make sure Vengeance of the Primal North is active if there are 3 mobs or more (VotWS for 2 mobs)
    Step 2) Apply Frozen Wrath to the Mob of your choice
    Step 3) Open with Strike of the Maelstrom
    Step 4) Alternate Avalanche Strike and Strike of the Maelstrom forever

WHAT'S THE CATCH?

Well, unfortunately there is no macro that can tell you exactly what to push in order to get absolute highest dps. This system will hopefully help you learn the rotation so that eventually you won't even need to look at it. The alerts are meant to be used as a "guide rail" not to turn you into a mindless robot.

Ive found that the main benefit to using this is not seen on the boss dummy. I can't stress this enough. Try it out on a movement heavy or mechanic heavy boss fight and youll realize that it will keep track of your rotation allowing you to pay far more attention to mechanics and movement. This is the kind of thing that lets you consistently top the charts no matter what the circumstances.

TIPS
    • Cooldown timing is everything; just getting the timing of the cooldowns to line up with MB and FW will increase your dps by hundreds. If you screw up the timing and blow your cooldowns at the wrong time your dps will drop. If you need to, wait a second until MB comes availible before you use your cooldowns.
    • Never use two physical attacks back to back, especially massive blow.
    • Don't use rush of strength when massive blow is up or about to be off cooldown. These alerts will line that up for you but it helps to pay attention as the system is not perfect.
    • It helps to change your Karuul alert settings to "faster"
    • Feel free to modify these alerts as you see fit. If you don't like weaving in a certain skill just disable its alert.
    There are many nuances to getting a great parse, especially in a boss fight, but a lot of it comes down to crit RNG and knowing boss mechanics. Hopefully this guide helps you get there.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 10-19-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Shadowlander

hey dude thanks gonna test it again. but it means shift+4? in your alert key shift_4?

Shadowlander

Error: kAlert/tasks.lua:53: Incorrect function usage.
    Parameters: (Frame: kAlert.objectText3.0x0a048898), nil
    Parameter types: Frame, nil
    Function documentation:
    Sets the alpha transparency multiplier for this frame and its children.
    Element:SetAlpha(alpha) -- number
    Parameters:
    alpha: The new alpha multiplier. 1 is fully opaque, 0 is fully transparent.
    stack traceback:
    kAlert/main.lua:863: in function 'add'
    kAlert/main.lua:905: in function <kAlert/main.lua:893>
    [C]: in function 'xpcall'
    kAlert/tasks.lua:49: in function <kAlert/tasks.lua:42>
    In kAlert / unnamed background task
    stack traceback:
    [C]: in function 'error'
    kAlert/tasks.lua:53: in function <kAlert/tasks.lua:53>
    [C]: in function 'xpcall'
    [C]: in function 'Dispatch'
    kAlert/tasks.lua:53: in function <kAlert/tasks.lua:42>
    dude i got this error any idea?

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Chanono View Post
    Ditto. Importing this alert set crashes Karuul Alert.
    [CENTER]
    Cleric Tank - Trinity - 100k HP Club
    3/3 IG | 4/5 PB

Quote Originally Posted by Chanono View Post
    KaruulAlert has been freaking out recently when importing an entire set when certain input fields are utilized in them. Best thing OP can do is post each alert individually.

I stream on Twitch. I'm pretty terrible, so don't expect much ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ.

π

thanks for the heads up, i'll look into this and update tonite when I get home

Alright its been updated with the fixed alert, apparently it had something to do with changing the opacity of an alert. that alert shouldn't have been in the set anyways (yet) so its all good now.

I triple checked it but if anyone else gets the errors let me know and i'll upload individual alerts

Telaran

If i'm already using the 7 key alert system from the old guide, is there any changes with the alerts in this one or is it the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Berekona View Post
    If i'm already using the 7 key alert system from the old guide, is there any changes with the alerts in this one or is it the same?
    mostly the same, a few tweaks to frozen wrath because of the recent changes

Soulwalker

Is there a progression guide available? I love seeing 61 builds but not having a progression build a long side them make them pointless for a lot of people because 50% of the abilities you do not have at lower levels.

I'm 49 at the moment and still can't use a lot of the stuff in this guide but will bookmark it for future use. If you have a progression guide somewhere else please let me know and thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PnoT View Post
    Is there a progression guide available? I love seeing 61 builds but not having a progression build a long side them make them pointless for a lot of people because 50% of the abilities you do not have at lower levels.

I'm 49 at the moment and still can't use a lot of the stuff in this guide but will bookmark it for future use. If you have a progression guide somewhere else please let me know and thanks!
    this guide is primarily for raid dps, because like you said you don't have access to all the abilities. However, if you want to start getting used to it then you can start using this as soon as you get the frostbite talent.

Just disable any alerts for skill's you don't have access to and leave those skills out of the macros. Just add them back in as you get them because the priority doesn't change much.

Soulwalker

Great guide and I love Karuul but I just have one question, in the alert there are two spaces for Frostbite and Frostbite2, when they show up what does it mean? What am I suppose to press? It's the first time using the addon. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Severynne View Post
    Great guide and I love Karuul but I just have one question, in the alert there are two spaces for Frostbite and Frostbite2, when they show up what does it mean? What am I suppose to press? It's the first time using the addon. Thx
    They should have numbers on the alerts, frostbite is 5, which corresponds to the physical damage macro labeled #5 on the guide. Frostbite2 is 4, corresponds to the non-physical macro which is labeled #4.

you can change the hotkeys that the macro's are on to your own hotkeys, you just need to change the alert labels to whatever hotkey you want to push, as long as it's consistent.

Soulwalker

Hey mate. First of all wonderful guide.
    Just 1 question please. Looking at the guide you have 7 alerts listed yet when you import into karuul it gives 12 alerts. Consequently im having trouble figuring out which name applies to which macro.
    Im thinking im missing something obvious here but i cant see it so thought i would ask. THanks in advance
    Last edited by Lancelor; 09-10-2013 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancelor View Post
    Hey mate. First of all wonderful guide.
    Just 1 question please. Looking at the guide you have 7 alerts listed yet when you import into karuul it gives 12 alerts. Consequently im having trouble figuring out which name applies to which macro.
    Im thinking im missing something obvious here but i cant see it so thought i would ask. THanks in advance
    those 7 that i have listed are actually the 7 abilities and macro's you need on your bar, not alerts. The numbers on them are associated with multiple alerts depending on the priority.

The simple reason that there are multiple alerts associated with each button, is that it's required by the way it is prioritized. Essentially, they are layered on top of eachother but the abilities are in a macro so you only need to press 7 buttons but you need 12 alerts to do the priority.

Complicated answer -

Side View: (if such a thing was possible to look into the game client/screen)

You --(line of sight)---> Your screen

The layers are kind of like this: (simplified example)

------> Frozen Wrath (4) ----> Lightning Hammer (1) ----> Vex (7) ---> Icy blow (4)

These alerts become active as soon as their respective buffs fall off the mob, BUT we don't want to see the alert for Vex unless frozen wrath and lightning hammer are already put on the mob (vex is a lower priority). So what I did is hide the Vex alert behind Lightning hammer and frozen wrath so you won't see it. The reason there are so many alerts is because abilities like frozen wrath and icy blow are already incorporated into your non-phys macro so while you do need a separate alert for it you don't need another button to press.

hopefully that makes sense, luckily you don't need to worry about the layers since i've already done my best to min/max them for you.

just know that whenever you change the hotkey of one of your abilities or macro's you also need to change all the alerts associated with that hotkey

Edit: also keep in mind that after doing more testing, because of recent changes to shaman there really isn't much advantage to using the EoL macro and alert at this time. Feel free to disable that alert and you can take the macro off your hotkeys. so only 6 buttons are needed
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 09-11-2013 at 07:12 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast