I wrote this guide because I hate inquisitor, I hate pets, and Iím lazy! This alert makes Shaman a breeze.
This guide has two main purposes:
- This is a guide to help beginners learn the shaman rotation.
- This guide will also help more advanced players perform better in a raid environment.
What this guide is not for:
To sum it up in a nutshell, this guide is a Karuul Alert set that will tell you what button you should probably push next to obtain the highest dps possible.
- If you have already mastered shaman this guide will not give you the higher dps on the dummy
Things you'll need
First, the spec: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/0mryqVvlgutIdRIRGkfzvVV61 Shaman - DuhSecond, and most importantly, you'll need Karuul Alert addon http://www.curse.com/addons/rift/karuulalert
5 Inq - Spellpower and a crit buff, whats not to like?
10 Druid - 10% to instants, 10% wisdom
Buffs you should have up at all times: Put them somewhere
- Furious Assault - 1s GCD
- Courage of the Panther - 10% damage, 5% penetration (tee hee)
- Courage of the Eagle Ė 5% Wisdom
- Courage of the Bear Ė 5% Endurance
- Heart of the Frozen Sea - 65 resists
- Glory of the Chosen - a crap version of salvation
- Armor of Devotion - 5% crit chance
- Vengeances - see situational below
Situational Skills: Keep these within reach at all times
- Vengeance: Swap as needed during combat
- Vengeance of the Winter Storm - Must be active for ST damage or 2 mob AoE
- Vengeance of the Primal North - Must be active for AoE damage with 3 or more mobs.
- Ageless Ice - use this as needed to recover mana (note: it slows you)
- Ride the Lightning - I use it just for fun, it's pretty useless because it's usually faster to just run to the boss if you get a disconnect.
- Windwalk - Use during movement phases, disconnects, and to escape angry mobs (very useful!)
- Shield of Oak - I use it with windwalk to get places even faster or when I know Iím about to take some damage in a raid to give the healers a break.
- Bitter Wind - An interrupt, use liberally.
- No Pet - Don't ever pull a low level druid pet out, we will all laugh at you when you pull the boss from a mile away.MACROS
Macros and Skills to put on your hotkeys:Physical macro - Alert hotkey #5
#show Massive Blow
cast Massive Blow
cast Combined Effort
cast Crushing Blow
cast Ekkehard's Grasp
Non-Physical macro - Alert hotkey #4
#show Frozen Wrath
cast Frozen Wrath
cast Glacial Strike
cast Icy Blow
cast Ekkehard's Grasp
Cooldown macro - Alert hotkey #8
#show Rage of the North
cast Rage of the North
cast Deep Freeze
Other HotkeysAlert Set:
Lightning Hammer - Alert hotkey #1
Rush of Strength - Alert hotkey #2
Eruption of Life - Alert hotkey #shift-4
Vex - Alert hotkey #7
Avalanche Strike - no alert
Strike of the Maelstrom - no alert
Code:KA::AgUCFeNrFVttu4jAQ/ZX8AGzsOHEiP+Xmvag3tWz3pVJkwBCrIYkc05ZqP34nKaWlFBQqpFX ABNuamXM8Z8a38olhNmJ1IVZSD43Qc2kYYhzmRuwWVkOe+NwmkUODOKEwMuR2Gziz4blWM8MSYcS 3u98/78RYFcqsMjWpyubuQT4Np9OGUdtmlLjMpUPvZUBDDDYoi9OLUXoNr/BprTl253czPeo8Ycb /nql5bkpVzq0fYrGQmpG9UW+2stBDmBPkRF4ckjj17f6xN7lYiHJQtLbAVJZ3Xg/CQUfA+V6IiRI F8zYoumMYwfJ6yboxWt1L4D8Og5jbUeC6QYwRAbv9IORCjyF0qTMty2kLoilEk2fiIArSE4UNKBI pa4trKZ/lZ0jeLwMM7mM3ppgjmjou7w2jFlrMq3LwKFZZNcsW1bI0QpXZ5AUG9TsYxIHou8EeQoo y/3MY/HW6++etcVzlq0ZN4DjQGwi0BsF11ZixMrLNppi6nhM4yMdhRLYh3IeF1IaphZjL5i5cajG AcLoQXY9RDNzaeEjWo91xvfE7urx6H2774P3hXoMLq5pZJpfWRaVN/pH8NqbdTaBk7Mcp8mjgedQ Pae8jaGqllalmE71sxFRqfDrqN/TibfL5UeQfCn4sRWMW8JV6MNdSwG82qXRdwXuRgcjVTDZGGFW V2fgr0uCfSeNcNI16kFZUVI/M3dXG1nrIQd+YhF6U+shJIr//yeTV5P5RPEgsts7kY+juEapOL8+ Ys7e6pnpZt1y1uXUG1EHwYZDSgCZOwEnstRW2b5EdQ4WSU6NFjQ4Sf5ODkcEu/XgHA17X119VYXZ pH7FuPuRRCjIkxE1930v8tDfdr+0AnayEvmU4/nrtOXH6H5dDn+v6PLIehTLv2vSmMv3X1G+f3dO gr5V12eRtYkPvleUcaqazq9ydPaFDbIIdN6FwU0pDFPWGYOSiBvKzet0HMpCCam8u2eogJHxEgp2 LuZp8rK38JI3No3RPY3txuq+r7RPCsyytP1oApfRj1ozY1nrIU9dOHBvHtuMjFx1xKc2rYtUsADY 5lYb/AQl7VroINSTRUCTIONS Ė for setupStep 1) Install Karuul alert and type /kalert (I suggest making a macro with /kalert so you donít have to type it all the time)
Step 2) Then go to File > Import Set and copy/paste the karuul alert set from above
Step 2b) OPTIONAL: Disable EoL and/or Vex alerts to make it simpler to learn if you desire. You will lose a few hundred DPS but will make the rotation easier to learn. Vex is the more beneficial of those 2 alerts if you want to choose only one.
Step 3) Open up the alerts one at a time with a double click. Adjust the ďText:Ē field in the upper right hand corner to match your hotkeys that you put the macros/abilities on. The numbers on my macros above correspond to each alert that they go with, make sure they match up. EX: if the physical macro #5 is now on hotkey #2 you'll need to change every alert text that says "5" to a "2".
Step 4) change the X and Y coordinates if needed (I donít suggest moving them by hand)
ST Combat:Step 1) Make sure Vengeance of the Winter Storm is active
Step 2) Start with cooldowns, press the cooldown macro twice
Step 3) Open with Frozen wrath -> Massive Blow.
Step 4) Once you're using your abilities, you'll see the indicator that will tell you which skill to use next shifting back and forth between physical and non-physical attacks. Which ever ability is highlighted is the number you press.
Step 5) press buttons -> win
AoE Rotation:Step 1) Make sure Vengeance of the Primal North is active if there are 3 mobs or more (VotWS for 2 mobs)
Step 2) Apply Frozen Wrath to the Mob of your choice
Step 3) Open with Strike of the Maelstrom
Step 4) Alternate Avalanche Strike and Strike of the Maelstrom forever
WHAT'S THE CATCH?
Well, unfortunately there is no macro that can tell you exactly what to push in order to get absolute highest dps. This system will hopefully help you learn the rotation so that eventually you won't even need to look at it. The alerts are meant to be used as a "guide rail" not to turn you into a mindless robot.
Iíve found that the main benefit to using this is not seen on the boss dummy. I can't stress this enough. Try it out on a movement heavy or mechanic heavy boss fight and youíll realize that it will keep track of your rotation allowing you to pay far more attention to mechanics and movement. This is the kind of thing that lets you consistently top the charts no matter what the circumstances.
There are many nuances to getting a great parse, especially in a boss fight, but a lot of it comes down to crit RNG and knowing boss mechanics. Hopefully this guide helps you get there.
- Cooldown timing is everything; just getting the timing of the cooldowns to line up with MB and FW will increase your dps by hundreds. If you screw up the timing and blow your cooldowns at the wrong time your dps will drop. If you need to, wait a second until MB comes availible before you use your cooldowns.
- Never use two physical attacks back to back, especially massive blow.
- Don't use rush of strength when massive blow is up or about to be off cooldown. These alerts will line that up for you but it helps to pay attention as the system is not perfect.
- It helps to change your Karuul alert settings to "faster"
- Feel free to modify these alerts as you see fit. If you don't like weaving in a certain skill just disable its alert.